The 2017 College Basketball Thread

Original Poster
The dream is real Bigflax. The dream is real.
Mar 11, 2017 4:51 PM
0 0
Well, Wisconsin's seeding is garbage. Maryland is a 6 seed (drawing a hobbled Xavier), but Wisconsin is an 8. Sure.

Minnesota was swept by Wisconsin, had fewer wins, finished behind them in the Big 10 regular season and Tournament, but is a 5 seed while Wisconsin is an 8. I figured they must've had a nice non-conference schedule to explain this. Yeah, nope.
Mar 12, 2017 10:11 PM
0 0
It just occurred to me that Wisconsin is effectively seeded worse than Northwestern via their draw. Wtf? Wisconsin just got done destroying their soul. They are a noticeably better team both in the abstract and by actual results. Yet, by seeding they're basically the same and Wisconsin lucks into the worse bracket. It's like the committee forgot the team existed for a little bit, then quickly shoehorned them in.
Mar 12, 2017 10:26 PM
0 0
Wichita St. at 10 is also rich. Gotta make room for South Carolina, I guess.
Mar 12, 2017 10:46 PM
0 0
That seed for Wisconsin is awful. I would have said a 5, with a best case being a 4 and worse case 6. An 8? You're also right about Wichita St. That's even more egregious.
Mar 12, 2017 11:10 PM
0 0
BigwigThat seed for Wisconsin is awful. I would have said a 5, with a best case being a 4 and worse case 6. An 8? You're also right about Wichita St. That's even more egregious.

What I don't understand is that Maryland looked like a worse version of Wisconsin for the entire season. Their seasons followed similar tracks, but Wisconsin finished better than them in every way possible and beat them. How can they be seeded two tiers below? It makes no sense.

Villianova is a bad matchup for Wisconsin and I'd be surprised if Wisconsin makes them sweat. I'm a little antsy about Va Tech, actually. So Villanova isn't necessarily getting fucked by Wisconsin's under-seeding, though they can't be happy about it. The teams that have to face Witchita St. on the other hand are getting hosed. They're a top 10ish team in the country and Kentucky is going to have to face them in the first weekend.
Mar 12, 2017 11:20 PM
0 0
Damn, we got a brutal draw. Wichita State a 10? Lol, ok.
Mar 12, 2017 11:32 PM
0 0
Esoteric AllusionWell, Wisconsin's seeding is garbage. Maryland is a 6 seed (drawing a hobbled Xavier), but Wisconsin is an 8. Sure.

Minnesota was swept by Wisconsin, had fewer wins, finished behind them in the Big 10 regular season and Tournament, but is a 5 seed while Wisconsin is an 8. I figured they must've had a nice non-conference schedule to explain this. Yeah, nope.

Wisconsin is two seeds two low and Minnesota is one or two seeds too high. They're pretty equal...Wisconsin swept the series but Minnesota probably has the best win of either team all year (winning at Purdue).
Mar 13, 2017 2:09 PM
0 0
Paris the Goat
Esoteric AllusionWell, Wisconsin's seeding is garbage. Maryland is a 6 seed (drawing a hobbled Xavier), but Wisconsin is an 8. Sure.

Wisconsin is two seeds two low and Minnesota is one or two seeds too high. They're pretty equal...Wisconsin swept the series but Minnesota probably has the best win of either team all year (winning at Purdue).

Wisconsin has been ranked higher in every single media vote. They are 16 places higher on Sagarin, 10 places higher on KenPom. They not only swept Minnesota, they beat them by 17 points just 8 days ago. They finished higher in the B10 standings, and finished better in the conference tourney.

When I saw they were an 8 seed I assumed MSU wouldn't even get in and that NW, etc would end up with much lower seedings.
Wisconsin has been maddening all season. But this is criminal. They have won more tourney games than any team over the last 3 years and deserve to start getting the benefit of the doubt for a 2 week swoon. Instead, they just got lambasted by the committee.

The one good win Minnesota had was a day game on New Years Day.
Mar 13, 2017 3:59 PM
0 0
HurricaneKid
Paris the Goat

Wisconsin has been ranked higher in every single media vote. They are 16 places higher on Sagarin, 10 places higher on KenPom. They not only swept Minnesota, they beat them by 17 points just 8 days ago. They finished higher in the B10 standings, and finished better in the conference tourney.

When I saw they were an 8 seed I assumed MSU wouldn't even get in and that NW, etc would end up with much lower seedings.
Wisconsin has been maddening all season. But this is criminal. They have won more tourney games than any team over the last 3 years and deserve to start getting the benefit of the doubt for a 2 week swoon. Instead, they just got lambasted by the committee.

I already conceded that Wisconsin should be seeded the same or better than Minnesota. Are you arguing with "they're pretty equal?" That seems petty.
Mar 13, 2017 5:23 PM
0 0
Paris the Goat
HurricaneKid
Paris the Goat

I already conceded that Wisconsin should be seeded the same or better than Minnesota. Are you arguing with "they're pretty equal?" That seems petty.

I was giving voice to the frustration I was sharing with EA. I take umbrage at the notion that they are equal. I am angered that Minnesota somehow not only got seeded so much higher, but they also play in Milwaukee.
Mar 13, 2017 7:17 PM
0 0
HurricaneKid
Paris the Goat
HurricaneKid
Paris the Goat

I was giving voice to the frustration I was sharing with EA. I take umbrage at the notion that they are equal. I am angered that Minnesota somehow not only got seeded so much higher, but they also play in Milwaukee.

If you worship at the altar of KenPom, you should be less troubled by Wisconsin's seeding, and more concerned with the fact that their region has 6 of the top 13 teams.
Mar 13, 2017 7:34 PM
0 0
*puts on tinfoil hat*

Or maybe the committee's made up of a bunch of liberals rewarding Minnesota for not voting for Trump, and punishing Wisconsin and Michigan teams for doing so. This also explains why Clemson, TCU and Indiana didn't make it despite having better KenPom ratings than Maryland, Virignia Tech, VCU and Seton Hall.
Mar 13, 2017 7:36 PM
0 0
Paris the Goat
HurricaneKid
Paris the Goat
HurricaneKid
Paris the Goat

If you worship at the altar of KenPom, you should be less troubled by Wisconsin's seeding, and more concerned with the fact that their region has 6 of the top 13 teams.

Devin Harris' final season at Wiscy had the Badgers as a top 10 ranked?team going into the B10 tourney. The Badgers WON the B10 tourney and then got a 6 seed. The 3 seed they met in the 2nd round was also a top 10 team. As was the 2 seed, and of course the 1 seed. I don't care when people call Wisconsin "flyover country" etc. But the volume of slights "we" have taken over the years has been absurd.

I shall applaud the death of the NCAA.

I have heard conspiracy theories ranging from Nigel Hayes bringing attention to the financial imbalance of the student athlete to the committee's head being from MSU (who has a pretty heated rivalry with UW). Whatever it is, its pretty indefensible.
Mar 13, 2017 8:56 PM
0 0
Michigan State is overseeded. I'm pretty sure that one can be attributed to the fact that the head of the selection committee is a Michigan State AD. I was skeptical they were going to get in at all. Vandy and the Spartans probably should've been the 11 seed play-in game.

Wisconsin's seeding is so bizarre that it might just be a misuse of RPI coupled with genuine forgetfulness. Witchita State's is more egregious, but at least you can attribute that error to the historical bias against mid-majors. Wisconsin's seeding makes no sense in the context of where they fell relative to Maryland and Minnesota.
Mar 14, 2017 12:12 AM
0 0
Minnesota may have been over-seeded.
Mar 16, 2017 10:16 PM
0 0
Crazy finish going on in the NW game.
Mar 16, 2017 10:35 PM
0 0
What the fuck was that foul? Dude's brain fart may have ended his team's season.
Mar 16, 2017 10:37 PM
0 0
Vanderbilt had another completely inexplicable foul like 30 seconds earlier when they fouled with game tied. Northwestern missed the 1-and-1 so it didn't hurt them but between the two terrible fouls and jacking up a 30-footer when they were down 1, Vanderbilt really gave that away.
Mar 16, 2017 10:42 PM
0 0
The foul was bad but that was an awful final possession by Vanderbilt. That dribble drill wasting time (why are you wasting time trailing by 1) and then throw up a 26 footer.?
Mar 16, 2017 11:19 PM
0 0