More delays for the Avatar sequels

God the old 'We hate Eddie Furlong whaa whaa crowd. Snore.
Mar 13, 2017 3:26 AM
0 0
All I wanna know is this: what does this mean for Gunnm? I DON'T CARE IF HE FREAKIN' PUTS HER IN FREAKIN' PANDORA! I WANT... MY FREAKIN'... ALITA!!!!

PS: Okay, show of hands, if he dialed his ego down by several fathoms, who here would pay to see a JimCam romcom?
Mar 13, 2017 3:23 PM
0 0
Popcorn Reviews
Black PhilipThe Abyss is kind like boring and that lame ass ending really gets my eyes rolling. It's like the last third of Sunshine. I just want to punch the screen over and over.

I understand why some people dislike the ending of Sunshine, but it has never bothered me at all.

It's the worst. The gold-standard for how to ruin an apparently good movie. Danny Boyle's specialty.
Mar 13, 2017 4:12 PM
0 0
Robin McDonaldSo when you bemoan your 2D home experience it is to miss that Avatar was world changing because you can't stay home and watch Avatar. It can only be seen in the theater.

Fox would beg to differ. You're venturing into Atomic Cow territory here.

How glad would his investors (which begs another question) be if he delved into completely psychedelic storyshowing, creating the greatest screen saver in history? Wouldn't they wonder why their money wasn't spent on Ferngully 2: Mucho Agua?
Mar 13, 2017 4:19 PM
0 0
Watching Avatar in 3D certainly didn't enhance my experience. People can praise its "groundbreaking" technological achievements all they want, but it offered me absolutely nothing in terms of character or story, which frustrates me to no end considering how much effort went into everything else. It's as if the whole experience was crafted by a machine running on algorithms. Avatar is sterile, long, bloated, boring and obnoxiously formulaic. I'd take ugly schlock with a personality over Avatar any day. Hell, X-Men Origins: Wolverine has more soul than Avatar.
Mar 13, 2017 4:43 PM
0 0
Wooley
Popcorn Reviews
Black PhilipThe Abyss is kind like boring and that lame ass ending really gets my eyes rolling. It's like the last third of Sunshine. I just want to punch the screen over and over.

I understand why some people dislike the ending of Sunshine, but it has never bothered me at all.

It's the worst. The gold-standard for how to ruin an apparently good movie. Danny Boyle's specialty.

I can understand why some people disliked the ending as the tone does undergo a drastic change. Some people like it when movies do this. Others don't. However, I still liked the ending as it became highly suspenseful with numerous great scenes and brilliant musical numbers. The ending is my favorite part of the film, and I'm always going to stick by this opinion.

By the way, since you wrote "Danny Boyle's specialty," may I ask: What other Boyle films are you not a fan of? I'm curious.
Mar 13, 2017 6:54 PM
0 0
Popcorn ReviewsBy the way, since you wrote "Danny Boyle's specialty," may I ask: What other Boyle films are you not a fan of? I'm curious.

I think he was talking about the endings more than films themselves. I'm a fan of several Danny Boyle movies that have a botched ending. 28 Days Later could have been amazing, but the third act shifts gears too hard. J.J. Abrams has a similar problem. Those two know how get the ball rolling, but they struggle when it comes time to stow it down.
Mar 18, 2017 5:26 PM
0 0
Obi Spenobi
Popcorn ReviewsBy the way, since you wrote "Danny Boyle's specialty," may I ask: What other Boyle films are you not a fan of? I'm curious.

I think he was talking about the endings more than films themselves. I'm a fan of several Danny Boyle movies that have a botched ending. 28 Days Later could have been amazing, but the third act shifts gears too hard. J.J. Abrams has a similar problem. Those two know how get the ball rolling, but they struggle when it comes time to stow it down.

I understand why some people dislike Sunshine's final act. However, I don't think that 28 Days Later has a weaker third act. The military was hinted at a few times throughout the film. I knew that they were going to enter the film sooner or later. Besides, that was a great addition to the film as it provided it with a great political allegory. 28 Days Later is probably my favorite zombie film by the way.

I haven't seen much of J.J. Abrams filmography. I've only seen Super 8, but I don't remember too much of the film.
Mar 18, 2017 8:30 PM
0 0
Obi SpenobiWatching Avatar in 3D certainly didn't enhance my experience. People can praise its "groundbreaking" technological achievements all they want, but it offered me absolutely nothing in terms of character or story, which frustrates me to no end considering how much effort went into everything else. It's as if the whole experience was crafted by a machine running on algorithms. Avatar is sterile, long, bloated, boring and obnoxiously formulaic. I'd take ugly schlock with a personality over Avatar any day. Hell, X-Men Origins: Wolverine has more soul than Avatar.

You know how in the Olympics we have freestyle skating and compulsory skating? There is drama in both. In compulsory you know they have to do this list of things and how well they perform them makes it thrilling. I've never had much problem with a movie jumping through compulsory hoops. ?Its how gracefully you jump through the hoops and try to give the audience something new. ?For me, that Avatar's story is intentionally derivative only re-enforced my belief Cameron's writing bonafides. I would have much prefered an original story but there was too much risk to his investors. It cost him an Oscar or two but he wrote a script that would make back the money. There was nothing lazy about how he wrote and imagined the story. He created a credible and beautiful world which has its own set of rules upon which he could build future stories.

We have a shot for shot breakdown of Bladerunner in this forum. I think the same person did the same thing with Avatar. ?I feel like if I weren't lazy I could breakdown how Cameron re-imagined formula and executed it better than how anyone had before. Maybe more than average people I appreciate how he infuses story withThe result I would argue is in the box office. This film could not have crushed records with a horrible story, 3D never could carry a film just on its own. I think he and Cuaron are examples of directors that employ technology as story elements to create real drama in new way few other directors even try. Cameron is a top writer, a top director, producer, effects master, cinematographer and technician. He's not just average at anything. He's one of the best. And he can bring all his diverse talents organically together to produce a new never before seen emotional experience for the audience. Even though I am not a big fan I think its also true of Titanic.
Mar 18, 2017 10:35 PM
0 0
I can't argue with you, Robin, as It's an incredibly competent movie. I can complain about it all I want, but deep down I know it's not "bad". But it's grandiose nature meshed with such generic storytelling really gets under my skin. It somehow manages to be heavy and hollow at the same time. I just can't enjoy it. I much prefer Titanic as far as movies for the masses go.
Mar 20, 2017 4:12 PM
0 0
My friends did not like Avatar as much as I did. I was lucky in that I saw it for the first time in the best possible conditions.
Huge IMAX screen. smack dab in the center, rather close to the screen because of the steep seating. I only had to pay five dollars a ticket. I bought them off a Marine who couldn't go.So I treated all my friends. It really was an experience in the theater unlike anything else I'd experienced before. ?I am sure most probably didn't see in such ideal conditions. But I saw everything it could deliver.
For a while I had a great 10 foot projection system but its not the same thing in 2D. And I now have a 3D 55 inch and I can't watch it on that either.
You have to have the whole IMAX theater experience to appreciate it.
Mar 20, 2017 9:35 PM
0 0
Popcorn Reviews
Wooley
Popcorn Reviews

I can understand why some people disliked the ending as the tone does undergo a drastic change. Some people like it when movies do this. Others don't. However, I still liked the ending as it became highly suspenseful with numerous great scenes and brilliant musical numbers. The ending is my favorite part of the film, and I'm always going to stick by this opinion.

By the way, since you wrote "Danny Boyle's specialty," may I ask: What other Boyle films are you not a fan of? I'm curious.

Shallow Grave is still my favorite Boyle film.
Mar 20, 2017 9:55 PM
0 0