More delays for the Avatar sequels

Original Poster
Article is in USA Today and likely other places.

Avatar 2, originally scheduled for 2016, then pushed to 2018, is delayed again. No new date at this point.
However, an interesting comment in the article says "Cameron had laid out 2020, 2022 and 2023 for the three Avatar follow-up films." So this is a bit perplexing.

The original, for those of us old enough to remember, came out in 2009. ;)

So you can take it off your calendar and seek whatever therapy is necessary.

Anyway, read all about it.
Mar 11, 2017 3:18 AM
0 0
But I want a half a billion dollar exercise in mediocre storytelling right now, goddamnit!
Mar 11, 2017 3:37 AM
0 0
While I'm completely okay with all of these Avatar sequels never happening, the fact that Cameron is wasting the end of his career fucking around with these dead end movies is heartbreaking.
Mar 11, 2017 4:04 AM
0 0
Seems really strange that he's only made 1 film over such a long period of time.
Mar 11, 2017 4:35 AM
0 0
From what I've seen of his filmography, The Abyss is my favorite film. It's a shame that it has a lot less popularity than the first 2 Terminator films, Titanic, Aliens, and Avatar.
Mar 11, 2017 4:41 AM
0 0
SkyDogSeems really strange that he's only made 1 film over such a long period of time.

Well you know he's also busy taking 1,326 submarine trips in-between. I mean the guy is a nut. Those movies will never come out.
Mar 11, 2017 5:36 AM
0 0
Popcorn ReviewsFrom what I've seen of his filmography, The Abyss is my favorite film.

This is the kind of opinion that can make me forgive you for everything else.
Mar 11, 2017 6:24 AM
1 0
Thankfully, that Pandora: The World of Avatar theme area is slated to open this year and should satisfy all my Avatar-related needs in the meantime. My forbidden, shameful needs.

Soon, Pandora. Soon.
Mar 11, 2017 6:30 AM
0 0
Stu
crumbsroomWhile I'm completely okay with all of these Avatar sequels never happening, the fact that Cameron is wasting the end of his career fucking around with these dead end movies is heartbreaking.

It's not like he had made a good movie in the 17 years prior to Avatar anyway, so his career had already peaked well beforehand, as far as I'm concerned.
Mar 11, 2017 6:42 AM
0 0
Stu
crumbsroomWhile I'm completely okay with all of these Avatar sequels never happening, the fact that Cameron is wasting the end of his career fucking around with these dead end movies is heartbreaking.

It's not like he had made a good movie in the 17 years prior to Avatar anyway, so his career had already peaked well beforehand, as far as I'm concerned.

This is a pretty good point.
Mar 11, 2017 6:44 AM
0 0
Bah. Pandora may have been derivative but it was still well written and an impressive movie experience unlike anything that had come before it. He has unique writing skills where he incorporates fascinating technology into a story in an organic way. Its never thrown in to impress but is intrinsic and important to the story. Even bio technology. Every cowboy film has some greenhorn gets bucked off his horse to be embarassed. And then gets advice that the two of them have to become one. But he incorporates the bio tether to make that something more than just a cliche. So yes its something we have seen before but more than something we have seen before. I understand the motive for the story was to safeguard the project so investors could get their money back. I was not disappointed. I am certain Avatar 2 will have an original story. But more importantly underwater is his best element. Its been so since
The Abyss. Now he has the perspective of being the worlds deepest diver in history. He has or had fresh in his mind the visceral true drama of someone undertaking an exploration into depths of the ocean. And will translate that unique experience to the big screen. This should really be something special. ?I am sorry its going to take so long. Interest will continue to flag.
Mar 11, 2017 8:14 AM
0 0
They may need to do a special reshowing of the original Avatar in Theaters before showing the sequel.? The story was pretty basic but I am starting to forget some of the details.? I kind of want it fresh in my mind before seeing a sequel.
Mar 11, 2017 8:20 AM
0 0
Also Titanic is under assessed. I didn't particularly think it was that great but other people did.
It won the Writer's Guild Award for best script. So the people who write scripts voted that this was the best script of the year.
He had to tell the story of 1500 people. Rich, Poor, the crew and the ship and its sinking. He did it via a rich girl and a poor?
boy who could travel into all areas of the ship. Not an easy task. Regardless of my assessment it was a great achievement.
Mar 11, 2017 8:20 AM
0 0
Obi SpenobiBut I want a half a billion dollar exercise in mediocre storytelling right now, goddamnit!

Hahahaha!
It's funny 'cause it's true.
Mar 11, 2017 12:27 PM
0 0
Robin McDonaldAlso Titanic is under assessed. I didn't particularly think it was that great but other people did.
It won the Writer's Guild Award for best script. So the people who write scripts voted that this was the best script of the year.
He had to tell the story of 1500 people. Rich, Poor, the crew and the ship and its sinking. He did it via a rich girl and a poor?
boy who could travel into all areas of the ship. Not an easy task. Regardless of my assessment it was a great achievement.

He reduced the story of 1,500 people to classicism. Rich bad. Poor good. Rich girl falls for poor boy. Forbidden love!

Structurally, the male-female relationship is similar to his other stories. A white woman is blocked her life in some way. Along comes her magic plucky Biehn-boy. A white male, of lower status who has lived a hardscrabble life which has prepared him to show this woman how to survive the movie. He is a romantic guide in this hero's quest. The woman has it within her to rise to the occasion, but he cheers her along and helps her find her mettle. Kyle Reese teaches Sarah Connor how make weapons and spot and defeat killer robots. Hicks shows Ripley how space marine kit works. Jack not only rescues Rose from her loveless rich-girl life, but guides her to safety as the ship sinks. The men die, or almost die (Hicks just barely makes it), as they risk their lives for their uptown girl.?

Cameron excels at action and visual wizardry. His dialogue and characterization is rather thin. Titanic was an awesome visual achievement that relied on cheap populism and dime novel romance. Billy Zane was a ridiculous caricature along with most everyone else in the film, but it was OK, because the melodrama was just a familiar structure around which we could see the ship and ultimately watch it sink.

It wasn't the best filmed *story* about Titanic even when it was released.?

Mar 11, 2017 12:53 PM
0 0
Popcorn ReviewsFrom what I've seen of his filmography, The Abyss is my favorite film. It's a shame that it has a lot less popularity than the first 2 Terminator films, Titanic, and Avatar.

IMO, The Abyss is by far his best film. Best cast, best acting, best setting, best story (except for the aliens, that always felt tacked-on), the best at building tension in a realistic setting, the best portrayed relationships... Great story overall, a cast with all the grit you could ask for.

I actually prefer the theater version to the extended cut. Tighter, better tension, less of the aliens.

Cameron can't stay away from aliens. Especailly blue kitty people, which he seems to have fallen in love with. Or at least in lust with. :P
Mar 11, 2017 2:03 PM
0 0

Agreed. Lets hope it's not the end of his career though.
Mar 11, 2017 2:17 PM
0 0
For the most part, I'd say that Cameron handles the visual aspect better than the story aspect in his films.
Mar 11, 2017 3:13 PM
0 0
D Ray
Popcorn ReviewsFrom what I've seen of his filmography, The Abyss is my favorite film. It's a shame that it has a lot less popularity than the first 2 Terminator films, Titanic, and Avatar.

IMO, The Abyss is by far his best film. Best cast, best acting, best setting, best story (except for the aliens, that always felt tacked-on), the best at building tension in a realistic setting, the best portrayed relationships... Great story overall, a cast with all the grit you could ask for.

I actually prefer the theater version to the extended cut. Tighter, better tension, less of the aliens.

Cameron can't stay away from aliens. Especailly blue kitty people, which he seems to have fallen in love with. Or at least in lust with. :P

I wouldn't say that the aliens felt tacked on. They were hinted at several times before the alien tentacle revealed itself to the crew members in the scenes when they caught glimpses of strange lights and noises. If it wasn't hinted at throughout the film, I'd agree with you more. Besides, Cameron handled that aspect so well (specifically at the ending) that I wasn't bothered by it at all. My only criticism with the film was an annoying fake-death cliche in the scene when Lindsey drowned just to get brought back to life. I disliked that scene, because I feel no tension in the scene before it on re-watches since I knew that both of them were going to make it out of there alright. If one of them actually did die, that scene would've effected me more on re-watches as I would've felt a sense of dread leading up to that scene.

It's still Cameron's best film though. 8/10.
Mar 11, 2017 3:30 PM
0 0
Popcorn ReviewsFor the most part, I'd say that Cameron handles the visual aspect better than the story aspect in his films.

Honestly, I think Cameron handles both aspects pretty well. I'm usually engaged in a Cameron film for the characters, plot, and visual aspects. He's a very talented director in my opinion.

Although Avatar was OK in it's story, not his best, one of the main draws to the film was his use of 3D and how he incorporated that into each shot. Now, with these sequels coming out so much later and with everything being 3D now, you have to figure that that draw will not be nearly what it was in 2009. Hopefully, he will have improved on the story for the sequels quite a bit and this massive undertaking won't be a complete waste of his talent. I really like Caneron and want to give him the benefit of the doubt but I don't have a good feeling. Instead of being excited for these sequels, I find myself asking, "Why are you wasting your time on THREE sequels for one of your more mediocre films!"

Mar 11, 2017 3:37 PM
0 0