Kong: Skull Island Might Be Awesome

It looks very intriguing. Knowing that the original film and story was way back the 1980's.
Mar 16, 2017 6:41 AM
0 0
Jim KartIt looks very intriguing. Knowing that the original film and story was way back the 1980's.

What do you mean original film and story? If you mean the new Kong: Skull Island it takes place in 1974.

The original King Kong was 1933.

Mar 16, 2017 2:26 PM
0 0
Did anyone stick around for the post-credits scene? I'm pretty stoked they are insinuating a Rodan movie. Plus King Ghidorah!

Mar 17, 2017 8:13 PM
0 0
Death ProofDid anyone stick around for the post-credits scene? I'm pretty stoked they are insinuating a Rodan movie. Plus King Ghidorah!

Going to see it on Monday finally. I will stick around for the post-credits scene!
H
Mar 17, 2017 8:33 PM
0 0
What I meant was the plot. Yes correct it was 1974 and not 1983.
Mar 20, 2017 5:55 AM
0 0
Did anyone see this in 3D? Contemplating whether it's worth it. Looks like it should be fun, but I've never been big into 3D.
Mar 21, 2017 2:31 AM
0 0
The Guy
bigideas
moronicfablesIt's not. Too many characters, too little of Kong himself. Its B-movie approach has its charms every now and then (some of the deaths were hilarious), but I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Here's my full review if anyone's interested to read further.

"An easy way to accomplish this is by making the characters interesting so that we end up caring about what happens to them."
This was a common complaint for Rogue One, as well.
Give me some movies like these that do have interesting, well developed characters.
Remember, don't cheat and choose a film from a franchise that has had multiple films to add depth and story to recurring characters.
I guess, in that case you could only talk about the first, or what one film accomplishes in this regard by itself.
I am just generally wanting to know how all of these characters are supposed to have so much depth without padding the run time with a bunch of flashbacks, etc.?
One thing that occurs in a lot of these types of films is a family that has divorced, or may about to. Lots of superheroes have the death of a parent/parents, etc.
I don't know if I am being too easy on these films now, but it didn't bother me for Rogue One or KSI.

Fury Road.

Rogue One's Jyn Erso was better developed than anyone in Fury Roid. I mean Roid Rage. I mean Fast&FuryRoad.

Even the Fast and Furious crap movies have more developed characters.

Fury Road is a fun movie, but there's virtually nothing in it whatsoever in terms of character depth or development. And the point is, there doesn't HAVE to be in order to still have a great movie. Fury Road basically undermines the whole pompous notion that you need "deep" or "developed" characters to just enjoy the show. You hardly even need a plot.

This guy bad. Them peoples dont like. They run away. Then come back and kill bad guy. It's as linear as a side scrolling action game like Contra.

The characters in Rogue One were more conflicted. Even when you consider how heavily edited it was, and what must have unfortunately been cut from it, what's left was a more interesting array of characters with shades of gray in Rogue One. Pretty much every character in it is interesting. That seems to be the most significant complaint: we want to spend more time with them.

Fury Road is more of a non-stop thrill ride. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. If you want meaningful character development, you have to take some fucking breaks between the action. The most we really get in Fury Road is where Charlize (I don't even remember her character's name, nor really care, which should tell you how important characterization was in this movie) realizes her home/refuge has been turned into a wasteland and kneels down and yells. This is less "character development" and more plotting - probably the most plotting we get in the whole movie. It's a "turning point" because that's where the good guys literally turn around and decide to go back. But it changes nothing really in terms of who we like and who we don't. At least in Rogue One we get some more dramatic conflict.

The moment when Jyn realizes what her dad had been up to in undermining the Empire was genuinely moving and lays bare the sacrifice he had to make. Nothing comes even remotely close to that emotional heft in Fury Road.

As corny, cliched and cringey as those Fast and Furious movies are, they still spend more time developing their characters and plots than Fury Road. And does that make them better movies than Fury Road? Of course not. Because Fast and Furious movies are live action cartoons. Fury Road is more graphic novel than cartoon. But nothing really separates it from F&F cheese aside from aesthetics. It's a grittier movie, but we cannot pretend that the writing is what elevates it, because there's hardly any writing in it at all. It's just an extended chase sequence which is essentially no less linear on account of eventual backtracking.

Basically, it seems those who heap praise on Fury Road ultimately ask very little in terms of plot or character development. So I don't get the arguments against Rogue One from them at all. Sure it has flaws, but R1 remains the most dramatic and wittiest Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back.

This is a very long tangent with far too little to do with King Kong. We ought to be discussing previous Kong romps!
Mar 21, 2017 3:01 AM
0 0
Oxnard Montalvo
bigideas
moronicfablesIt's not. Too many characters, too little of Kong himself. Its B-movie approach has its charms every now and then (some of the deaths were hilarious), but I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Here's my full review if anyone's interested to read further.

"An easy way to accomplish this is by making the characters interesting so that we end up caring about what happens to them."
This was a common complaint for Rogue One, as well.
Give me some movies like these that do have interesting, well developed characters.
Remember, don't cheat and choose a film from a franchise that has had multiple films to add depth and story to recurring characters.
I guess, in that case you could only talk about the first, or what one film accomplishes in this regard by itself.
I am just generally wanting to know how all of these characters are supposed to have so much depth without padding the run time with a bunch of flashbacks, etc.?
One thing that occurs in a lot of these types of films is a family that has divorced, or may about to. Lots of superheroes have the death of a parent/parents, etc.
I don't know if I am being too easy on these films now, but it didn't bother me for Rogue One or KSI.

The Host

Now that is a great example. A wonderful, surprisingly complex movie.
Mar 21, 2017 3:06 AM
0 0
jasper de largeDid anyone see this in 3D? Contemplating whether it's worth it. Looks like it should be fun, but I've never been big into 3D.

Saw it in 3d... Nothing special. That being said, I hate 3d.
Mar 21, 2017 3:25 AM
0 0
So, Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah are at the end of this film. I feel like writing an article about how important these three characters were to the history of monster movies, but I don't think anyone should care. Rodan (1959), Mothra (1961), and Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster (1964) were way ahead of their time and arguably revolutionary. The next Godzilla film is a remake of the latter one. It's a true shame that no one respects these movies, have seen them, or even are aware of their existence. While GTTHM is fun, well made, but sloppy, it was revolutionary in its premise and structure. Mothra and Rodan also, but those movies are borderline masterpieces of craft. It's rare when you can say that there are no other movies like movie 'x', and that is something you can say about those two films. Godzilla 1954 is a masterpiece, but it is very reminiscent in premise and structure as other films. Rodan and Mothra are truly unique. I want to give a particular shoutout to Rodan, as I feel if the movies I've listed that is the one that has the least critical attention. A great film that constantly changes organically from genre and style, featuring great characters, atmosphere, and music with wonderful moments of mise en scene.
Mar 21, 2017 5:17 AM
0 0
I thought Kong was fantastic. Relentlessly paced, never stopping to hold your hand or let the story get dull. It was honestly a blast to watch. I liked all the influences worn on it's sleeve, and the references throughout to other films it was influenced by. It also didn't take itself too seriously by stripped itself of a ton of baggage in storytelling in favour of a more tightly packed story that is easier to kick back and enjoy without too many subplots, love stories, and all the other shit that drags out the story and runtime in these types of films. I definitely recommend watching this. Seems like there is probably a ton of re-watchability here too.

3D was fine. All my theatre had though.
Mar 21, 2017 1:02 PM
0 0
Hunter JamesI thought Kong was fantastic. Relentlessly paced, never stopping to hold your hand or let the story get dull. It was honestly a blast to watch. I liked all the influences worn on it's sleeve, and the references throughout to other films it was influenced by. It also didn't take itself too seriously by stripped itself of a ton of baggage in storytelling in favour of a more tightly packed story that is easier to kick back and enjoy without too many subplots, love stories, and all the other shit that drags out the story and runtime in these types of films. I definitely recommend watching this. Seems like there is probably a ton of re-watchability here too.

3D was fine. All my theatre had though.

Agreed with the whole post.

Our theatre does 3d early showing and 2d late... As I'm getting old and have a bed time now I can't go to late movies anymore....
Mar 21, 2017 6:56 PM
0 0
Evan SolomonSo, Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah are at the end of this film. I feel like writing an article about how important these three characters were to the history of monster movies, but I don't think anyone should care. Rodan (1959), Mothra (1961), and Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster (1964) were way ahead of their time and arguably revolutionary. The next Godzilla film is a remake of the latter one. It's a true shame that no one respects these movies, have seen them, or even are aware of their existence. While GTTHM is fun, well made, but sloppy, it was revolutionary in its premise and structure. Mothra and Rodan also, but those movies are borderline masterpieces of craft. It's rare when you can say that there are no other movies like movie 'x', and that is something you can say about those two films. Godzilla 1954 is a masterpiece, but it is very reminiscent in premise and structure as other films. Rodan and Mothra are truly unique. I want to give a particular shoutout to Rodan, as I feel if the movies I've listed that is the one that has the least critical attention. A great film that constantly changes organically from genre and style, featuring great characters, atmosphere, and music with wonderful moments of mise en scene.

Spoilers. Wtf.

And yeah - I'm really hoping for a Rodan solo movie. Big fan.

Mar 21, 2017 7:58 PM
0 0
Man that movie sucked. Disposable, one-dimensional, crap characters with either ridiculous motivation or none whatsoever, the whole movie could have just been the showdown at the end.
Bummer I missed the post-credits, cause I will not sit through this movie again.
Mar 21, 2017 8:48 PM
0 0
WooleyMan that movie sucked. Disposable, one-dimensional, crap characters with either ridiculous motivation or none whatsoever, the whole movie could have just been the showdown at the end.
Bummer I missed the post-credits, cause I will not sit through this movie again.

Mar 21, 2017 10:26 PM
0 0
WooleyMan that movie sucked. Disposable, one-dimensional, crap characters with either ridiculous motivation or none whatsoever, the whole movie could have just been the showdown at the end.

That's definitely the impression I've gotten from the trailer and what I've read about the characters. I don't intend to go see it no matter how much I might love John C. Reilly.? Also why does every main female character these days have to be a feisty independent firecracker? Are damsels not allowed in current year? It's annoying.
Mar 21, 2017 11:05 PM
0 0
Death Proof
Evan SolomonSo, Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah are at the end of this film. I feel like writing an article about how important these three characters were to the history of monster movies, but I don't think anyone should care. Rodan (1959), Mothra (1961), and Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster (1964) were way ahead of their time and arguably revolutionary. The next Godzilla film is a remake of the latter one. It's a true shame that no one respects these movies, have seen them, or even are aware of their existence. While GTTHM is fun, well made, but sloppy, it was revolutionary in its premise and structure. Mothra and Rodan also, but those movies are borderline masterpieces of craft. It's rare when you can say that there are no other movies like movie 'x', and that is something you can say about those two films. Godzilla 1954 is a masterpiece, but it is very reminiscent in premise and structure as other films. Rodan and Mothra are truly unique. I want to give a particular shoutout to Rodan, as I feel if the movies I've listed that is the one that has the least critical attention. A great film that constantly changes organically from genre and style, featuring great characters, atmosphere, and music with wonderful moments of mise en scene.

Spoilers. Wtf.

That is not going to happen. The next film is a straight remake of Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster. Given Rodan's lack of popularity in the East or West, despite name recognition, I would bet he is going to end up as fodder in this new film. He may not even be involved in the final confrontation. Mothra will sacrifice herself to save Godzilla, or Earth or whatever and then be reborn, as that is what always happens with he character.

Mothra is the only one of these characters that can support her own film as her character has the most complexity. A Rodan feature would not be too different from a Godzilla feature. Mothra has a colorful aesthetic, mythos, and a rogues gallery to pull from.
Mar 22, 2017 1:29 AM
0 0
Evan Solomon
Death Proof

Spoilers. Wtf.

That is not going to happen. The next film is a straight remake of Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster. Given Rodan's lack of popularity in the East or West, despite name recognition, I would bet he is going to end up as fodder in this new film. He may not even be involved in the final confrontation. Mothra will sacrifice herself to save Godzilla, or Earth or whatever and then be reborn, as that is what always happens with he character.

Mothra is the only one of these characters that can support her own film as her character has the most complexity. ?A Rodan feature would not be too different from a Godzilla feature. Mothra has a colorful aesthetic, ?mythos, and a rogues gallery to pull from.

DON'T YOU SHIT ON RODAN, YOU MOTHERFUCKER!

Mar 22, 2017 2:32 AM
0 0
I wish there was more appraisal of Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster. So many firsts. It was the first monster movie I know of where people were fighting other people and monsters resolved all the issues. It was the equivalent of the Avengers 50 years before that movie was concieved as possible. It had some of the most lavish production design of any monster movie made up until that point.
Mar 22, 2017 3:05 AM
0 0
Special Agent Cooper

That's definitely the impression I've gotten from the trailer and what I've read about the characters. I don't intend to go see it no matter how much I might love John C. Reilly.? Also why does every main female character these days have to be a feisty independent firecracker? Are damsels not allowed in current year? It's annoying.

To make it through this you really have to go in like this is the cheesiest Saturday matinee kind of thing. As I said elsewhere, this movie is just Dinocroc vs. Supergator on SyFy, it just looks better.
Mar 22, 2017 11:01 AM
0 0