Kong: Skull Island Might Be Awesome

Original Poster
Kong: Skull Island looks really good? I didn't think it would be a movie I wanted to see, but the marketing has been slowly winning me over for months now (The trailers have been great and the CGI looks awesome). The reviews are rolling out and they are good for the most part as well. I didn't realize at first, but it takes place in the 70s and they are going for a retro, Vietnam, Apocalypse Now vibe, and the score has psyched out guitars on it. It is also getting a limited release in 70mm, which is pretty cool for the aesthetic they are going for. I don't know if anyone has seen the Apocalypse Now inspired IMAX poster, but it's also wicked. I just didn't see this coming.

What are your thoughts?
Mar 6, 2017 8:45 PM
0 0
Mar 6, 2017 8:46 PM
0 0
I'm looking forward to it, but was pretty skeptical before the trailers were released. I really enjoyed Godzilla and am starting to hope that this Monsterverse ends up delivering the goods.
Mar 6, 2017 9:21 PM
0 0
https://www.inverse.com/article/17301-new-king-kong-will-be-100-feet-tall-as-monsters-including-godzilla-keep-growing
Mar 8, 2017 7:46 AM
0 0
The first trailer I saw had me thinking about it for some time. Don't much care for 3D personally, but this seems like an exception.
Mar 8, 2017 8:08 PM
0 0
If the reviews are right, this is officially the first cinematic universe I'm interested in rather than sort of begrudgingly accepting as a cultural obligation.
Mar 8, 2017 9:30 PM
0 0
I will be there with a tub of popcorn and a smile on my face opening day. Can't wait for Friday.
Mar 9, 2017 1:46 AM
0 0
I need another King Kong movie like my dick needs a strawberry pancake. Fuck that.
Mar 9, 2017 2:23 AM
0 0
I was mildly intrigued by the Comic Con trailer, but every trailer after that has been staggeringly terrible. I'll consider seeing it but I have very little optimism.
Mar 9, 2017 6:38 AM
0 0
The cast is certainly top notch. Hopefully it's not another 3 hour endeavor like Jackson's. On a somewhat related note, I've wanted to besmirch Brie Larson's midwestern dewiness ever since 21 Jump Street. There's just something about her.
Mar 9, 2017 6:45 PM
0 0
It's not. Too many characters, too little of Kong himself. Its B-movie approach has its charms every now and then (some of the deaths were hilarious), but I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

Here's my full review if anyone's interested to read further.
Mar 9, 2017 6:56 PM
0 0
I think I am going to get to see it on Tuesday. Dissapointed that the limited 70mm run isn't coming to Toronto, because I think that would have been cool with the aesthetic of the film. It has pulled together a certified fresh rating on here, so we shall see.
Mar 9, 2017 7:44 PM
0 0
moronicfablesIt's not. Too many characters, too little of Kong himself. Its B-movie approach has its charms every now and then (some of the deaths were hilarious), but I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

"An easy way to accomplish this is by making the characters interesting so that we end up caring about what happens to them."
This was a common complaint for Rogue One, as well.
Give me some movies like these that do have interesting, well developed characters.
Remember, don't cheat and choose a film from a franchise that has had multiple films to add depth and story to recurring characters.
I guess, in that case you could only talk about the first, or what one film accomplishes in this regard by itself.
I am just generally wanting to know how all of these characters are supposed to have so much depth without padding the run time with a bunch of flashbacks, etc.?
One thing that occurs in a lot of these types of films is a family that has divorced, or may about to. Lots of superheroes have the death of a parent/parents, etc.
I don't know if I am being too easy on these films now, but it didn't bother me for Rogue One or KSI.
Mar 12, 2017 11:26 PM
0 0
bigideas
moronicfablesIt's not. Too many characters, too little of Kong himself. Its B-movie approach has its charms every now and then (some of the deaths were hilarious), but I really wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

"An easy way to accomplish this is by making the characters interesting so that we end up caring about what happens to them."
Give me some movies like these that do have interesting, well developed characters.
Remember, don't cheat and choose a film from a franchise that has had multiple films to add depth and story to recurring characters.
I guess, in that case you could only talk about the first, or what one film accomplishes in this regard by itself.
I am just generally wanting to know how all of these characters are supposed to have so much depth without padding the run time with a bunch of flashbacks, etc.?
One thing that occurs in a lot of these types of films is a family that has divorced, or may about to. Lots of superheroes have the death of a parent/parents, etc.
I don't know if I am being too easy on these films now, but it didn't bother me for Rogue One or KSI.

Fury Road.
Mar 12, 2017 11:35 PM
0 0
bigideas

The Host
Mar 13, 2017 1:41 AM
0 0
i was going to say its a cool poster but homage to Apocalypse Now? Close to a steal.

Its the heli-s that put it into plagiarism for me.
Mar 13, 2017 6:49 AM
0 0
I'll know doubt check it out.
Mar 13, 2017 9:31 AM
0 0
bigideas

Tremors
Mar 13, 2017 7:39 PM
0 0
Saw it today, loved it. 8/10
Mar 13, 2017 7:39 PM
0 0
Just got back from watching it with the boys.

Really enjoyed it. Don't get me wrong, it's not gonna win any Oscars, and the story is pretty average, but I didn't go to King Kong to see great writing, I went to watch people fight King Kong. It delivered spectacularly.

I was somewhat put off at the prospect of Tom Hiddleston as an "action" lead in the show, but he pulled it off well.

Sam Jackson was great, as always. Same goes for John Goodman. He's slimmer and older, but still great.

The entire cast did well. Haven't seen Brie Larson in much, but she did well too!

The effects and score were great. Just the right amount of B movie cheesiness.

Really enjoyed it, but then I think I'm this movies target demo...

8/10
Mar 16, 2017 4:38 AM
0 0