National Football League 2017-18

Original Poster
Jay Cutler will soon be unemployed.
Feb 6, 2017 6:54 AM
0 0
Fuck football forever.
Feb 6, 2017 12:04 PM
0 0
Guys, it is time to start paying attention to my Cleveland Browns.

For the Browns, I have been reading about Myles Garrett and would love to have him. "Draft experts" almost unanimously peg him as the #1 overall.

The other interesting thing to follow will be where the quarterbacks go. I would love for the Browns to grab Tyrod Taylor after the Bills drop him, and I would still like for the Browns to draft a QB with either the #12 or #33 overall. I guess Jimmy Garoppolo is in play for the Browns via trade and probably for the #12. No way will the Browns part with the #1 for him. I don't know how to feel about Garoppolo as I haven't seen enough of him. The Patriots' back up quarterbacks haven't panned out for any team. It's certainly not like the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre backups. Mark Brunnell, Matt Hasselbeck, and Aaron Brooks all became plus players; it hasn't just been Aaron Rodgers who turned into something.
Feb 13, 2017 4:13 AM
0 0
MosesGuys, it is time to start paying attention to my Cleveland Browns.

For the Browns, I have been reading about Myles Garrett and would love to have him. "Draft experts" almost unanimously peg him as the #1 overall.

The other interesting thing to follow will be where the quarterbacks go. I would love for the Browns to grab Tyrod Taylor after the Bills drop him, and I would still like for the Browns to draft a QB with either the #12 or #33 overall. I guess Jimmy Garoppolo is in play for the Browns via trade and probably for the #12. No way will the Browns part with the #1 for him. I don't know how to feel about Garoppolo as I haven't seen enough of him. The Patriots' back up quarterbacks haven't panned out for any team. It's certainly not like the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre backups. Mark Brunnell, Matt Hasselbeck, and Aaron Brooks all became plus players; it hasn't just been Aaron Rodgers who turned into something.

Myles Garrett? I don't know. He seems awful. Really awful. Terrible, in fact. Browns can pick someone better at the #1 spot. Leave some other team, like the one with the #2 pick, to draft him.
Feb 13, 2017 12:41 PM
0 0

hahahahaha, good one
Feb 13, 2017 5:24 PM
0 0
Bigwig

hahahahaha, good one

We're reached that part of the season. Our time to shine.
Feb 13, 2017 5:51 PM
0 0

The Browns are the worst organization in professional sports.
Feb 14, 2017 12:40 AM
0 0
The league announced the 2017 compensatory draft picks. LINK.

11 third round picks. That's the highest number I can remember given out. Also, keep in mind that compensatory draft picks can now be traded. For instance, the Browns received a third, two fourths, and a fifth, but the third-rounder is going to the Patriots for Jaime Collins. (Pleasure doing business with you, ShocKed.)
Feb 24, 2017 8:31 PM
0 0
MosesThe league announced the 2017 compensatory draft picks. LINK.

11 third round picks. That's the highest number I can remember given out. Also, keep in mind that compensatory draft picks can now be traded. ?For instance, the Browns received a third, two fourths, and a fifth, but the third-rounder is going to the Patriots for Jaime Collins. (Pleasure doing business with you, ShocKed.)

I hope it's not the last trade between the two franchises. There's a lot of hype over Adam Schefter's claim that Jimmy Garoppolo isn't even available for trade, regardless of the offer. But two months earlier he adamantly claimed NE's starting point for the Jimmy G trade was a 1st and a 4th.

EDIT: That, and Michael Lombardi is laying it on awfully thick in his attempt to raise the value.
Mar 3, 2017 12:19 AM
0 0
ShocKed
MosesThe league announced the 2017 compensatory draft picks. LINK.

11 third round picks. That's the highest number I can remember given out. Also, keep in mind that compensatory draft picks can now be traded. ?For instance, the Browns received a third, two fourths, and a fifth, but the third-rounder is going to the Patriots for Jaime Collins. (Pleasure doing business with you, ShocKed.)

I hope it's not the last trade between the two franchises. There's a lot of hype over Adam Schefter's claim that Jimmy Garoppolo isn't even available for trade, regardless of the offer. But two months earlier he adamantly claimed NE's starting point for the Jimmy G trade was a 1st and a 4th.

EDIT: That, and Michael Lombardi is laying it on awfully thick in his attempt to raise the value.

Patriots backup QB being wildly overrated? I'm stunned.
Mar 3, 2017 4:40 PM
0 0
Also, I will laugh at whichever team signs Adrian Peterson.
Mar 3, 2017 4:41 PM
0 0
Paris the GoatAlso, I will laugh at whichever team signs Adrian Peterson.

AD is going to have to start for a team. For as good a runner as he is, he's not a fluid receiver. Most backups are a jack-of-all-trades types, and I don't see that with Peterson. And it's not like he can be a third or fourth runningback, because he's not going to play special teams. He may be the physical equal of Herschel Walker (actually, prime AD was the better athlete), but AD's skill set will limit him in ways that didn't affect an older Walker.

Here's the other thing: 95% of Adrian Peterson's career snaps have come with the quarterback under center. What teams still do that in their base offense? I haven't watched much of Peterson in the past couple years, so I couldn't tell you what he has left. His offense line has been in shambles, but I know AD is not making yards after contact like he once was, and he hasn't been healthy enough to stay on the field like he once did. Peterson's career may well be over.
Mar 4, 2017 12:52 AM
0 0
Moses
Paris the GoatAlso, I will laugh at whichever team signs Adrian Peterson.

AD is going to have to start for a team. For as good a runner as he is, he's not a fluid receiver. Most backups are a jack-of-all-trades types, and I don't see that with Peterson. And it's not like he can be a third or fourth runningback, because he's not going to play special teams. He may be the physical equal of Herschel Walker (actually, prime AD was the better athlete), but AD's skill set will limit him in ways that didn't affect an older Walker.

Here's the other thing: 95% of Adrian Peterson's career snaps have come with the quarterback under center. What teams still do that in their base offense? I haven't watched much of Peterson in the past couple years, so I couldn't tell you what he has left. His offense line has been in shambles, but I know AD is not making yards after contact like he once was, and he hasn't been healthy enough to stay on the field like he once did. Peterson's career may well be over.

As much as people liked to talk about what a powerful runner he is, Peterson reminds me of Barry Sanders more than anyone else in his stratosphere. ?Imagine how bad Barry Sanders would have been if he had kept playing, but also blown out his knee 1.5 times and missed an entire year for being an abusive sack of shit/enormously ignorant father (take your pick).

Prime Peterson could drag a Christian Ponder offense to the playoffs, old Peterson doesn't have a place in the NFL.
Mar 4, 2017 1:11 AM
0 0
Peterson would look nice in a Pats uniform for a seasonal rental.
Mar 4, 2017 1:59 AM
0 0
BobHarrisPeterson would look nice in a Pats uniform for a seasonal rental.

I can see AD in the LaGarrette Blount role especially if the Patriots retain Martellus Bennett and run the two-tight end set. That set gives the Patriots and Tom Brady so much versatility, and it's too bad we weren't able to see Brady, Bennett, and Rob Gronkowski play together more. AD could prosper in that set especially.

More likely, I see Peterson being the bell cow back for a team with a more traditional offense like Baltimore, Washington, or (in spite of what his dad says) Cleveland. He wants to go there, and Peterson would be an excellent fit in Dallas's offense because they snap from center, but he'd be getting the Alfred Morris role. Can you see Peterson satisfied with 6 carries a game? The Saints and the Falcons snap from center a lot as well, but they also throw to their backs as much as any team.

If you're having to bet on one team he would go to, then I agree that the Patriots are the most likely destination as Peterson wants to play for a winner, and the Patriots are known to grab veterans cheaply during the end of their career. I just wonder if Peterson can accept those games where Belichick eschews the power run game and uses Dion Lewis and James White almost exclusively when Belichick likes the matchup.
Mar 4, 2017 2:32 AM
0 0
Former Washington Huskies wide receiver John Ross broke Chris Johnson's record (4.24) with an official 4.22 time in the 40-yard dash. I mean...who gives a shit, but also holy shit.
Mar 4, 2017 8:52 PM
0 0
Romo Watch in full force. Looks like Denver and Houston are the 2 main contenders for his services (at the moment). Many fellow Broncos fans are terrified of such a move, mostly because they actually think Romo is a mediocre QB who's injury-prone. And in fairness, even if they concede the talent (and they should), he's taken some big blows the last few years of his career. The even more nuanced concern is that given that, he'll tie up too much salary cap space (even if he takes a discount) preventing Denver from addressing other concern areas (mainly O-line, but also D-line).

In other words, many fellow Broncos fans feel like we can complete just as well with Paxton Lynch or Trevor Siemian (with another year development). :|? I'm not sure I agree, but I do agree - to an extent - that letting the 1st-round pick languish on the bench isn't going to get him any more real game experience. Conversely, if you have a D that's ready to win now, how long can you afford to wait until these guys are ready?

I'm torn but I lean towards getting Romo because I think pretty highly of him and feel he'd be worth the risk... provided the contract isn't *too* big. (like, less than $12M maybe?) We'll see.
Mar 7, 2017 1:51 PM
0 0
neumdaddyRomo Watch in full force. Looks like Denver and Houston are the 2 main contenders for his services (at the moment). Many fellow Broncos fans are terrified of such a move, mostly because they actually think Romo is a mediocre QB who's injury-prone. And in fairness, even if they concede the talent (and they should), he's taken some big blows the last few years of his career. The even more nuanced concern is that given that, he'll tie up too much salary cap space (even if he takes a discount) preventing Denver from addressing other concern areas (mainly O-line, but also D-line).

In other words, many fellow Broncos fans feel like we can complete just as well with Paxton Lynch or Trevor Siemian (with another year development). :|? I'm not sure I agree, but I do agree - to an extent - that letting the 1st-round pick languish on the bench isn't going to get him any more real game experience. Conversely, if you have a D that's ready to win now, how long can you afford to wait until these guys are ready?

I'm torn but I lean towards getting Romo because I think pretty highly of him and feel he'd be worth the risk... provided the contract isn't *too* big. (like, less than $12M maybe?) We'll see.

Paxton Lynch wasn't that good in college and looked awful in his limited time on the field last year. It's also pretty damning that he couldn't pass Siemian on the depth chart last year. For the Broncos to say no to Romo because it might hinder Lynch's development would be pretty idiotic.

Serious question because I don't have an answer: how many QBs had a rookie year like Lynch and ended up being good players?
Mar 7, 2017 2:43 PM
0 0
Paris the GoatSerious question because I don't have an answer: how many QBs had a rookie year like Lynch and ended up being good players?

I mean, he played 2 whole games, and at separate points in the season, too. He looked pretty bad, but hard to say his season was a disaster depending on your expectations. I had read that he was going to be "a project" upon being drafted. Yet he still could not best Siemian out of the gates, though Siemian wasn't hot garbage (just hot mediocrity). I'm biased but I'm trying to be careful in declaring that IT'S TOO LATE for Lynch's career already. But Elway did also draft Osweiler... :\
Mar 7, 2017 3:02 PM
0 0
I agree in that I don't worry about Paxton Lynch's development while my team's window is still open. Look at it another way, instead of worrying about wasting a 1st round pick, worry instead about ruining the chances of your 52 other players.

A healthy Romo makes the Broncos a contender. He's the most underrated quarterback of the last 25 years. I don't know what his injury status is, but even over Tom Brady and Peyton Ranning, Romo is the best at managing the pocket. He keeps his eyes down the field, he shifts to effortlessly open up throwing lines, his release is as quick as anyone's, and he's able to throw well while moving and off-balance.

Romo also is very accurate and if you have a criticism aout Romo other than his injury history, then it's his sometimes iffy decision making. However, his decision making has improved as he has gotten older and more experienced.

And, it's not like the Broncos will be signing him to a five year contract. If the Broncos think they have something with Paxton Lynch, then it can wait a year or two. I would chance Romo if I am the Broncos, Texans, Bills, or even the Ravens.

I also like Tyrod Taylor for one of those teams and more importantly for my Browns. Tyrod can make things happen on broken plays, throws a glorious deep ball (hello Terrelle Pryor and Corey Coleman), and his best football is ahead of him. I'm more willing to pin Tyrod's (way overstated) troubles with an inept Rex Ryan and his handling of his offensive coordinator Greg Roman. The offense and Tyrod were not the problem with the Bills prior to Roman being let go.
Mar 7, 2017 3:49 PM
0 0