Hey Moses, Conor McGregor wants to fight Mayweather.

As someone who hangs around on MMA forums, listens to MMA podcasts, and generally has a sense of what's going on in the sport, I'm not seeing a lot of MMA "bros" that think Conor is going to win. The debates, such as they are, revolve more around things like A.) Is this a good idea? B.) Can Conor make it 12 rounds? and C.) Will the fight suck or not. My answers are no, probably not but maybe (but it doesn't matter) and yes.
May 8, 2017 3:27 AM
0 0
In short, the idea that there is this significant portion of MMA fans that think Conor is going to shock the world isn't really true.?
May 8, 2017 3:28 AM
0 0
Well the fight's going to suck because Mayweather's fights always suck. Sure, we can marvel at this piece of shit woman beater's incredible technical skill, but it's a thoroughly boring style. Now he's going to fight somebody who isn't a boxer? The novelty is the only thing that will make it interesting.
May 8, 2017 3:31 AM
0 0
BigwigWell the fight's going to suck because Mayweather's fights always suck. Sure, we can marvel at this piece of shit woman beater's incredible technical skill, but it's a thoroughly boring style. Now he's going to fight somebody who isn't a boxer? The novelty is the only thing that will make it interesting.

I think a lot more is in play than a typical Mayweather fight, though, because there's the chance that he so outclasses McGregor that he goes for the kill. Otherwise, watching him run Conor ragged would do my heart a little good because, like Zuben, I too am susceptible to Conor's heel work.
May 8, 2017 3:42 AM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair
BigwigWell the fight's going to suck because Mayweather's fights always suck. Sure, we can marvel at this piece of shit woman beater's incredible technical skill, but it's a thoroughly boring style. Now he's going to fight somebody who isn't a boxer? The novelty is the only thing that will make it interesting.

I think a lot more is in play than a typical Mayweather fight, though, because there's the chance that he so outclasses McGregor that he goes for the kill. Otherwise, watching him run Conor ragged would do my heart a little good because, like Zuben, I too am susceptible to Conor's heel work.

I think he will go for the kill, but not right away. And if it suits him, he'll do his usual Mayweather thing. Box for the win, not for the show. Which is certainly his prerogative, but also the reason why I hate watching him.
May 8, 2017 3:56 AM
0 0
Just skip through it quickly, but possibly the worst major fight in history was between Muhammed Ali and Japanese pro wrestler Antonio Inoki ("Giant Baba"). Ali landed 5 punches in the whole fight, Inoki stays the entire fight on his back and just kicked Ali's legs. It was a hugely hyped mixed-discipline match that Ali got $6 million for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS79C1XEqBc??
May 8, 2017 4:11 AM
0 0
boozeJust skip through it quickly, but possibly the worst major fight in history was between Muhammed Ali and Japanese pro wrestler Antonio Inoki ("Giant Baba"). Ali landed 5 punches in the whole fight, Inoki stays the entire fight on his back and just kicked Ali's legs. It was a hugely hyped mixed-discipline match that Ali got $6 million for.

I'll field this one, Kent. Antonio Inoki and Shohei "Giant" Baba are two different dudes. The Regan and Goneril of puroresu.
May 8, 2017 4:14 AM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair
boozeJust skip through it quickly, but possibly the worst major fight in history was between Muhammed Ali and Japanese pro wrestler Antonio Inoki ("Giant Baba"). Ali landed 5 punches in the whole fight, Inoki stays the entire fight on his back and just kicked Ali's legs. It was a hugely hyped mixed-discipline match that Ali got $6 million for.

I'll field this one, Kent. Antonio Inoki and Shohei "Giant" Baba are two different dudes. The Regan and Goneril of puroresu.

Oh you're right. My posting is rusty. Inoki was the one who "fought" Ali.
May 8, 2017 4:16 AM
0 0
Dana White said today that it was his and McGregor's fault that they didn't close the deal quickly enough for a September fight. As much as White can be a dick, it was weirdly refreshing to hear anybody in the fight game not blame the other side.
May 12, 2017 4:00 AM
0 0
If Conor thinks that he'll be able to beat Mayweather, then he'll be disabused of that very quickly once he hires boxers to spar. He'll fight them in a closed gym, and he'll likely have to sign them to confidentiality agreements because if it gets out that he's constantly getting his ass kicked, then many people will lose interest.
May 12, 2017 4:30 AM
0 0
MosesIf Conor thinks that he'll be able to beat Mayweather, then he'll be disabused of that very quickly once he hires boxers to spar. He'll fight them in a closed gym, and he'll likely have to sign them to confidentiality agreements because if it gets out that he's constantly getting his ass kicked, then many people will lose interest.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of that but yeah. Good point.
May 12, 2017 4:43 AM
0 0
MosesIf Conor thinks that he'll be able to beat Mayweather, then he'll be disabused of that very quickly once he hires boxers to spar. He'll fight them in a closed gym, and he'll likely have to sign them to confidentiality agreements because if it gets out that he's constantly getting his ass kicked, then many people will lose interest.

What, like this: http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/gbrennan/watch-the-sparring-video-that-shows-conor-mcgregor-has-no-business-in-the-boxing-ring/
He's going to get lit up for sure.?
May 12, 2017 11:44 AM
0 0
It's worth pointing out that defensively, Conor is nothing special in MMA. It is pretty clear that if it weren't for his freakish reach he'd have much more difficulty.
May 12, 2017 11:46 AM
0 0
If McGregor knows he will lose, I wonder how much effort he puts into this...
May 12, 2017 11:46 AM
0 0
It's also worth pointing out that McGregor lost to Nate Diaz and then won a rematch that was close and saw McGregor hanging on for the bell in the 5th round. Nate Diaz is good, but he's second tier. He then beat a champ who isn't great in Eddie Alverez and has never defended his title, but he's getting put forward like he's the best because he is a huge draw. It's annoying.
May 12, 2017 11:55 AM
0 0
Zuben

What, like this: http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/gbrennan/watch-the-sparring-video-that-shows-conor-mcgregor-has-no-business-in-the-boxing-ring/
He's going to get lit up for sure.?

Oh, Jesus. What really stands out to me are his hands and how he lunges. He cannot fight with his hands down, as Mayweather will beat the ever loving shit out of him once he realizes that McGregor cannot lay a hard glove on him.

And if McGregor resorts to lunging, then he's going to get dropped cold in the air. Conor wouldn't have to resort to it as much if he were up against a come-forward fighter like Pac or Canelo, but against Mayweather? Jesus Christ. He'll think that he has to lunge, and Mayweather will simply time one and put him out. It'll be like Little Mac dropping Bald Bull.
May 16, 2017 3:37 PM
0 0
ZubenIf McGregor knows he will lose, I wonder how much effort he puts into this...

I don't know, but I guess how this fight looks all depends on how Floyd approaches it. Is he gonna want to beat up and embarrass a non-boxer who he's making crazy money off of? Maybe. Or maybe they have a sort of gentleman's agreement.

But this is what happens when Mayweather's in the ring with somebody who can't defend themselves (and presents limited risk):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orYBdp5ljS0

That was a long time ago, but Gatti was also a world champion boxer. I have no doubt that Floyd can still put that kind of a beating on McGregor if he wants to, and I don't think Conor would be able to do anything to stop it except checkout much sooner than the ever-durable Gatti did.
May 16, 2017 6:19 PM
0 0
briggm
ZubenIf McGregor knows he will lose, I wonder how much effort he puts into this...

I don't know, but I guess how this fight looks all depends on how Floyd approaches it. Is he gonna want to beat up and embarrass a non-boxer who he's making crazy money off of? Maybe. Or maybe they have a sort of gentleman's agreement.

But this is what happens when Mayweather's in the ring with somebody who can't defend themselves (and presents limited risk):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orYBdp5ljS0

That was a long time ago, but Gatti was also a world champion boxer. I have no doubt that Floyd can still put that kind of a beating on McGregor if he wants to, and I don't think Conor would be able to do anything to stop it except checkout much sooner than the ever-durable Gatti did.

Yeah, you're right. Between 1998 and 2003 was prime boxing fandom for me, so, like a lot of casuals I would guess, I know who Gatti is. Add in the fact that he's Canadian, that he fought Mark Walhberg and that he famously died under suspicious circumstances and he's hard for me to miss, right? Anyway, I also know that Gatti's MO was eating a shitload of punches because, lets be honest, he wasn't that good. But that was kind of his style in a way that he used to his advantage as well. Conor won't even have a good "come forward swinging and eat a few in the way in" style of fighting, he's just going to have utterly shit boxing (if that sparring video is anything to go by). To be honest, since watching those sparring videos, I feel like Moses is right about Conor's chances of making it to the final bell.
May 16, 2017 6:39 PM
0 0
Bad news everyone: People on Twitter, including McGregor, are saying that this deal has been signed. I didn't see a date.?
Jun 14, 2017 6:09 PM
0 0
ZubenBad news everyone: People on Twitter, including McGregor, are saying that this deal has been signed. I didn't see a date.?

Finally and once and for all, we'll find out what's better, boxing or MMA!
Jun 14, 2017 6:38 PM
0 0