Hey Moses, Conor McGregor wants to fight Mayweather.

Feb 10, 2017 9:00 PM
0 0
To be fair, I'm not sure that any of those training videos are showing him training for a boxing match, in which case his stance and body movement are not at all laughable. If the argument is that the style is not transferable, then sure, but I felt like it was over reaching and dissing MMA more generally. Like GSP doesn't have an amazing jab, gtfo!
Feb 10, 2017 9:03 PM
0 0
If I had to bet the McGregor/Mayweather fight (and I don't), I would put money on a late stoppage. McGregor has zero chance in cutting off the ring. Mayweather would never put himself in danger with distance; he'd step in and out landing bombs at will. McGregor's corner would finally realize the futility and save him from further damage.
Feb 12, 2017 8:20 PM
0 0
Mar 13, 2017 11:05 PM
0 0
Mar 17, 2017 5:21 PM
0 0
Dana White thinks it's going to happen. This is nothing more than a novelty, right? As a sporting event, it's a joke.
Mar 17, 2017 10:09 PM
0 0
BigwigDana White thinks it's going to happen. This is nothing more than a novelty, right? As a sporting event, it's a joke.

It is a joke, but McGregor's chances aren't non-existent. He has good precision and speed and genuine one-shot KO power in his left hand. He's taller, bigger and has longer reach than Mayweather. He also has years of training and fighting as a boxer. He's durable and has been punched very hard by people who punch much harder than Mayweather. He's 28 and in his prime whereas Mayweather is 40. They are boxing though, and Mayweather is one of the best of all time and Conor is an amateur at best (maybe not even, since his MMA training will, in many ways, make him worse at boxing). I'd say that Mayweather should be, I dunno, like a +1200 favourite, which is way better than a 1% chance or something.
Mar 17, 2017 11:49 PM
0 0
There is no real justification for this fight out of a freak show though. It does nothing for boxing, for MMA, or for either men's legacy (unless McGregor actually wins, then he'll mailk that for all time).
Mar 18, 2017 12:58 AM
0 0
Zuben
BigwigDana White thinks it's going to happen. This is nothing more than a novelty, right? As a sporting event, it's a joke.

It is a joke, but McGregor's chances aren't non-existent. He has good precision and speed and genuine one-shot KO power in his left hand. He's taller, bigger and has longer reach than Mayweather. He also has years of training and fighting as a boxer. He's durable and has been punched very hard by people who punch much harder than Mayweather. He's 28 and in his prime whereas Mayweather is 40. They are boxing though, and Mayweather is one of the best of all time and Conor is an amateur at best (maybe not even, since his MMA training will, in many ways, make him worse at boxing). I'd say that Mayweather should be, I dunno, like a +1200 favourite, which is way better than a 1% chance or something.

McGregor's only chance would be because boxing is shady as fuck. But even then, this would be Mayweather's second-biggest payday ever and maybe even another 9-digit (!) purse. No one could pay him enough to throw it. I mean...c'mon. McGregor would be lucky to land 5% of his shots. It would be comical if it weren't so boring to watch.
Mar 19, 2017 5:43 AM
0 0
Zuben

This is pretty much how I see it. You can't unequivocally say that McGregor has zero chance to win, because it's two guys in a ring throwing punches at each other. Mayweather could get injured, McGregor could somehow land something batshit crazy, whatever. But realistically I think that Conor has less than a 1% chance of winning the fight.

How good a boxer is McGregor? I understand he has some background in the sport, but to put it into perspective, it's questionable whether he'd be the best in his weightclass in Ireland, let alone capable of mixing it with world class fighters who have trained exclusively in boxing from an early age.

Let's imagine a scale where you start with basic domestic semi-pro type Irish boxers, then say the top ten Irish guys, then the best in Britain and Ireland combined, then onto Europe as a whole, then world level, then elite top of the sport guys, and then finally Mayweather, who is the best in the sport and perhaps one of the greatest of all time.

Given his natural gifts and past training in the sport, Conor is probably somewhere around the upper echelon of Irish level at a guess. Like I could see him being competitive with those guys, winning some and losing too. That should give an inkling of how far he is off Mayweather's level for anybody who doesn't follow either sport. Trust me, it's no mystery why Conor isn't even considering a fight with any boxer other than Mayweather.

The best semi-serious case I can make for McGregor in the fight is that of all Mayweather's most recent opponents, the guy who had the most success was Marcos Maidana, specifically because early on Mayweather had some issues dealing with the unconventional and wild way in which Maidana threw his punches. Floyd's philly shell style defense is almost impregnable against classic boxing, but when somebody like Maidana was boring his way in, throwing crazy, looping, overhead punches, he was able to have some success landing to the top of Mayweather's skull, around the side of his head and so on, before Floyd was able to figure out the angles and make adjustments. So maybe, just maybe Conor can have some early success by throwing a different look at Floyd from what he's used to, I don't know. C'mon I'm trying here.

Back to reality, I can count the number of times Floyd has been hit clean with a big punch on one hand. Mosley did it, Maidana did it in their second fight, I seem to remember Zab Judah landing something significant, and one or two other guys earlier in his career. That's it. Further, I can't recall a single time Floyd has been hit by consecutive clean/hard punches EVER, because it hasn't happened. So if all these top boxers who Floyd has faced haven't been able to hit him, should Conor be able to? Nah.

Anyway, bring the fight on, I'm ready. Floyd's last fight was a routine decision win against Andre Berto, which I still haven't watched because why? At least the build up to this fight will be fun and there's some novelty value. I suspect Floyd will dominate McGregor round after round and then test the waters later on to see whether he can end it. He'll open up and if there's nothing risky coming back, he'll force some manner of stoppage.
Mar 19, 2017 3:11 PM
0 0
Some lines are out on the fight. I saw some insane ones that only gave Mayweather somethng like -800 but this seems to be the norm: http://www.oddsshark.com/boxing/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-boxing-betting-odds

-2500, although about twice what I gave, is probably pretty legit.

Watching the link below helped me realize just how lopsided this is going to be. Here is Moses' favourite boxer sparring with TJ Dillashaw (An ex-champion bantam weight and no slouch at striking). You can really see how the distance alone is a huge shift for TJ.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/3/29/15102772/more-footage-of-tj-dillashaw-sparring-vasyl-lomachenko-i-just-got-my-ass-whooped-ufc-mma
Mar 30, 2017 6:39 PM
0 0
Watching a champion get absolutely schooled is only going to bad for MMA. The fact that this might be the biggest PPV of all time is going to be a bad look for everyone.
Mar 30, 2017 6:40 PM
0 0
ZubenSome lines are out on the fight. I saw some insane ones that only gave Mayweather somethng like -800 but this seems to be the norm: http://www.oddsshark.com/boxing/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-boxing-betting-odds

-2500, although about twice what I gave, is probably pretty legit.

Watching the link below helped me realize just how lopsided this is going to be. Here is Moses' favourite boxer sparring with TJ Dillashaw (An ex-champion bantam weight and no slouch at striking). You can really see how the distance alone is a huge shift for TJ.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/3/29/15102772/more-footage-of-tj-dillashaw-sparring-vasyl-lomachenko-i-just-got-my-ass-whooped-ufc-mma

Problem is that Loma and Mayweather (and Andre Ward) are probably the best boxers in terms of defense with distance. Loma will stand in the pocket longer than the other two as he looks for offense more, but the aging Mayweather has no interest in that. He's just going to run and potshot, and he's going to make McGregor look ridiculous. The other thing about this fight: it's going to be boring. Mayweather hasn't bothered to knock out a guy in 9 years. He's not a fun watch anymore. The better fight would be an aging Pacquiao because at least he would do the fans the service of standing over McGregor to end the fight.
Mar 30, 2017 11:01 PM
0 0
Moses Mayweather hasn't bothered to knock out a guy in 9 years.

Not counting the Ortiz sucker punch, I guess.
Mar 30, 2017 11:11 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Moses Mayweather hasn't bothered to knock out a guy in 9 years.

Not counting the Ortiz sucker punch, I guess.

Ah, that's right. I was thinking about Fat Ricky Hatton.
Mar 30, 2017 11:13 PM
0 0
How amazing would it be if McGregor, after getting frustrated, just lined up a huge switch kick?
Mar 31, 2017 12:07 AM
0 0
A couple of huge differences between MMA and boxing, outside of the most obvious. are the gloves and dodging. With boxing gloves, boxers can use the padding to cover much larger areas, and given that they are dealing with smaller strike zones to begin with, you can be pretty successful with more defensive tactics. There is no Philly shell equivalent in MMA,and obviously, with 8 contact points, below the belt strikes, and take downs, there couldn't be.. With body movement, boxers duck by bending at the waist a lot more than MMA fighters (muay thai fighters never do it) which makes sense if you're not worried about kicks coming up to meet your head on the outside. As soon as a kickboxer catches you ducking like that though, you are getting KO'd. McGregor's wide karate stance and hands down technique take advantage of both of those differences. THe more that I think about it, I can't imagine him boxing.?
Mar 31, 2017 12:17 AM
0 0
ZubenA couple of huge differences between MMA and boxing, outside of the most obvious. are the gloves and dodging. With boxing gloves, boxers can use the padding to cover much larger areas, and given that they are dealing with smaller strike zones to begin with, you can be pretty successful with more defensive tactics. There is no Philly shell equivalent in MMA,and obviously, with 8 contact points, below the belt strikes, and take downs, there couldn't be.. With body movement, boxers duck by bending at the waist a lot more than MMA fighters (muay thai fighters never do it) which makes sense if you're not worried about kicks coming up to meet your head on the outside. As soon as a kickboxer catches you ducking like that though, you are getting KO'd. McGregor's wide karate stance and hands down technique take advantage of both of those differences. THe more that I think about it, I can't imagine him boxing.?

I can't see McGregor beating a journeyman. Forget Mayweather.
Mar 31, 2017 12:29 AM
0 0
Apr 3, 2017 2:09 AM
0 0
ZubenSo, it seems like this is coming together.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mma/report-mcgregor-mayweather-set-to-announce-fight/ar-BBzd8hv?li=BBnba9I&srcref=rss

I'd be happy to watch this for the freak show value in a situation where I could do something else if I got bored but I can't imagine paying for it. People are weird.
Apr 3, 2017 2:12 AM
0 0