Hey Moses, Conor McGregor wants to fight Mayweather.

Original Poster
Apparently he thinks he can make a whole pile of money off that fight. It's not as unlikely as you might think, since Dana made an offer to Mayweather of 25 million and you have to think Mayweather sees this as easy money. To be clear, the fight would be a boxing match, meaning that McGregor will lose horribly.
Jan 30, 2017 7:08 PM
0 0
Yeah, this has been talked about for like months, man.
Jan 30, 2017 7:45 PM
0 0
BigwigYeah, this has been talked about for like months, man.

Much longer than months. The difference being that Mcgregor won the LW belt and then applied for a boxing license, which means that, under the Ali Act, the UFC may not be able to prevent him from fighting outside of the UFC as long as it's not MMA and McGregor is now saying that he will do it with or without the UFC. He just held a PPV press conference that was attended by 5,000 people wherein he laid out his plans to fight Mayweather. This, and the fact that Mayweather is saying that he is receptive to the fight, are why it's in this news cycle. Man.
Jan 30, 2017 7:57 PM
0 0
McGregor thinks it will be with 8 ounce gloves. Lol!
Jan 30, 2017 7:58 PM
0 0
The glove change alone will sink McGregor. He has a history with boxing, but the changes will be too drastic. And, I dunno, but I heard Mayweather was good at boxing.
Jan 30, 2017 8:01 PM
0 0
I have always felt this fight would eventually happen because it's the biggest money fight either guy can get. The amounts being thrown out by both sides have been laughable though. Mayweather could get 25 million fighting anybody, he wants 100 million and so does McGregor. I think there will be easily enough revenue for that but it might be hard to come to an agreement on the split. For as much as they need each other, but guys feel like they are the main draw. If the UFC is owed a cut it's even harder.
Jan 31, 2017 2:31 AM
0 0
WrecklooseI have always felt this fight would eventually happen because it's the biggest money fight either guy can get. The amounts being thrown out by both sides have been laughable though. Mayweather could get 25 million fighting anybody, he wants 100 million and so does McGregor. I think there will be easily enough revenue for that but it might be hard to come to an agreement on the split. For as much as they need each other, but guys feel like they are the main draw. If the UFC is owed a cut it's even harder.

All Mayweather has to do is point to his paycheques vs McGregor's and his PPV numbers vs McGregor's to make a pretty air tight case that he is the bigger draw. I hope McGregor finds a way to fuck the UFC out of any money on this. I am so fucking tired of Dana White and his fellow jackals running this sport like they own it, even if they do.?
Jan 31, 2017 2:54 AM
0 0
#BoxingTwitter is pretty disgusted by this. That group is racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic and just trash as a collective, but they do have an infectious integrity when it comes to their sport. They know boxing is trash, but when it is one of their own who does the harm, it's good to see those assholes rally around and bash the offending guy. Not that they liked Mayweather to begin with, but he is getting hell for this. And a lot of boxing writers refuse to even talk about this as a possibility.

Fuck anyone who buys this.
Jan 31, 2017 3:12 AM
0 0
Zuben
WrecklooseI have always felt this fight would eventually happen because it's the biggest money fight either guy can get. The amounts being thrown out by both sides have been laughable though. Mayweather could get 25 million fighting anybody, he wants 100 million and so does McGregor. I think there will be easily enough revenue for that but it might be hard to come to an agreement on the split. For as much as they need each other, but guys feel like they are the main draw. If the UFC is owed a cut it's even harder.

All Mayweather has to do is point to his paycheques vs McGregor's and his PPV numbers vs McGregor's to make a pretty air tight case that he is the bigger draw. I hope McGregor finds a way to fuck the UFC out of any money on this. I am so fucking tired of Dana White and his fellow jackals running this sport like they own it, even if they do.?

Mayweather's last fight only did around 400k PPV buys. McGregor could fight anyone in the UFC right now and get well over a million buys. If they fight I think more people might be tuning in/rooting for Mayweather, but he needs a compelling opponent.
Jan 31, 2017 3:21 AM
0 0
Moses#BoxingTwitter is pretty disgusted by this. That group is racist, sexist, xenophobic, homophobic and just trash as a collective, but they do have an infectious integrity when it comes to their sport. They know boxing is trash, but when it is one of their own who does the harm, it's good to see those assholes rally around and bash the offending guy. Not that they liked Mayweather to begin with, but he is getting hell for this. And a lot of boxing writers refuse to even talk about this as a possibility.

Fuck anyone who buys this.

Well, I'll probably "buy it" in terms of going to a bar to watch if it happens. I loathe McGregor and would watch just because it represents an opportunity to see him get humiliated.
Jan 31, 2017 3:27 AM
0 0
Wreckloose
Zuben

Mayweather's last fight only did around 400k PPV buys. McGregor could fight anyone in the UFC right now and get well over a million buys. If they fight I think more people might be tuning in/rooting for Mayweather, but he needs a compelling opponent.

His last fight was against some nobody that had no chance to beat him tho, right? Like if he fought Paq or someone his numbers would dwarf any UFC ever, right??
Jan 31, 2017 3:31 AM
0 0
Zuben

His last fight was against some nobody that had no chance to beat him tho, right??

Heh, this is why he is hated.
Jan 31, 2017 3:38 AM
0 0
Zuben
Wreckloose
Zuben

His last fight was against some nobody that had no chance to beat him tho, right? Like if he fought Paq or someone his numbers would dwarf any UFC ever, right??

Well I don't think anyone with a brain thought Pacquiao had a chance to beat him. Still people had been waiting for that fight a long time. I think some of the lack of interest in his next fight was how boring a majority of people thought the Pacquiao fight was though. If Mayweather could do big numbers for a second fight with Pacquiao I think he would, but he knows no casual viewer is shelling out for that again.

Moses would have to answer what other boxing options exist for Mayweather, as I don't really follow it. I'd imagine a second fight with Canelo would do okay. But McGregor is the biggest, and probably "easiest" money.
Jan 31, 2017 3:40 AM
0 0
Mayweather's best fight would be Terence Crawford, and he doesn't take that fight because he would likely lose. And, it's not like the casual fan knows who Terence Crawford is even though he's America's best fighter.
Jan 31, 2017 3:50 AM
0 0
What's going to be annoying is when Mayweather beats McGregor and boxing idiots, not smart fans but the dumb ones, are like "See? A boxer can beat an MMA fighter."
Jan 31, 2017 4:27 PM
0 0
I kind of really want to bet on Mayweather to win the fight because it's an absolutely free money at any odds, but I also just don't have faith in the sport's integrity. Plus, I would think the odds will be something like 12-1 or somewhere around there which is ridiculous.

Spoilers

Zuben, did you happen to watch the Showtime card this weekend? We had some nice fights. Were briggm still here, he would be sulking from Leo Santa Cruz's whipping of Carl Frampton. I'm still smarting from Mikey Garcia handling Dejan Zlaticanin. Garcia may already have the knockout of the year with that win. Here's a link if you're interested in the KO. That was the second fight between Frampton and Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz avenged an earlier loss. Really though, I would like to see a rematch with both fights.
Jan 31, 2017 4:51 PM
0 0
MosesI kind of really want to bet on Mayweather to win the fight because it's an absolutely free money at any odds, but I also just don't have faith in the sport's integrity. Plus, I would think the odds will be something like 12-1 or somewhere around there which is ridiculous.

Spoilers

Zuben, did you happen to watch the Showtime card this weekend? We had some nice fights. Were briggm still here, he would be sulking from Leo Santa Cruz's whipping of Carl Frampton. I'm still smarting from Mikey Garcia handling Dejan Zlaticanin. Garcia may already have the knockout of the year with that win. Here's a link if you're interested in the KO. That was the second fight between Frampton and Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz avenged an earlier loss. Really though, I would like to see a rematch with both fights.

Sorry, but I made a concentrated effort to back into boxing a while ago and it just doesn't work for me anymore. Once you've tasted the dynamism of MMA, boxing feels limited. Plus, the ratio of exciting to boring fights is not great.
Regarding the odds, 12-1 is probably fair, but at those odds Mayweather could twist his ankle or just get caught with something weird and you're make 10 for every 120 you bet, so fuuuuck it. Anything much above 3-1 isn't worth it (although I've certainly done so myself).
Jan 31, 2017 6:13 PM
0 0
I'm to the point where I'm only watching the really quality boxers and I'll let second tier fights go. I just can no longer get myself to watch the 12th best lightweight whip the 15th's ass.

The four guys who fought on Saturday are Top 50 or so P4P guys though. And all four of those guys could conceivably fight Vasyl Lomachenko. Loma is my guy. Mikey Garcia has legit world class talent and he has wrecked some of the best fighters in his weight class while just being 28. He has one-punch power in both of his hands, and that's impossible to find. There aren't but one or two fighters within 10 lbs. of Loma who even offers a threat to him, but Garcia is one. Hopefully that fight happens this year.
Jan 31, 2017 6:51 PM
0 0
MosesI'm to the point where I'm only watching the really quality boxers and I'll let second tier fights go. I just can no longer get myself to watch the 12th best lightweight whip the 15th's ass.

The four guys who fought on Saturday are Top 50 or so P4P guys though. And all four of those guys could conceivably fight Vasyl Lomachenko. Loma is my guy. Mikey Garcia has legit world class talent and he has wrecked some of the best fighters in his weight class while just being 28. He has one-punch power in both of his hands, and that's impossible to find. There aren't but one or two fighters within 10 lbs. of Loma who even offers a threat to him, but Garcia is one. Hopefully that fight happens this year.

Because boxing is not as dynamic as MMA, the fights are more of a forgone conclusion, so fighters can garner massive win streaks and win defensively too often. They should at least start allowing spinning back fists. Spinning backfist KO's are sweet.
Jan 31, 2017 11:47 PM
0 0
Jan 31, 2017 11:52 PM
0 0