I'm starting to loathe the actions of President Trump

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the EU really need to rely an the US that much in an armed conflict? I feel like the combined force of the U.K., France, and Germany is pretty formidable in their own. Even Canada, I believe, has some of the best Spec Ops in the world. Granted the US involvement would end it pretty quickly, but I feel like Europe can stand on its own.

Granted this could be a "could the wolves have defeated Shere Khan" question in that it's beside the point.
Jun 7, 2017 3:28 AM
0 0
Evan SolomonCorrect me if I'm wrong, but does the EU really need to rely an the US that much in an armed conflict??

I dunno, but American forces are there. Trump wants to spend all American money to make its military bigly & un-sad. Would he use it properly if NATO were attacked overseas?
Jun 7, 2017 3:54 AM
0 0
Evan SolomonCorrect me if I'm wrong, but does the EU really need to rely an the US that much in an armed conflict? I feel like the combined force of the U.K., France, and Germany is pretty formidable in their own. Even Canada, I believe, has some of the best Spec Ops in the world. Granted the US involvement would end it pretty quickly, but I feel like Europe can stand on its own.

Granted this could be a "could the wolves have defeated Shere Khan" question in that it's beside the point.

The EU is pretty untested as a military alliance and generally defaults to NATO, the military actions of which are typically led by U.S. commanders. The U.K. and France together account for 40% of all EU military spending, and the U.K. is in the process of removing itself from the EU. That will leave France as the only nuclear-armed nation in the alliance. So while Europe theoretically has the capabilities to fend off a major military assault from, say, Russia without the U.S., there really isn't the political infrastructure to do so at a moment's notice without the U.S., unless either the U.K. or France unilaterally decide to deploy their nukes.
Jun 7, 2017 3:55 AM
0 0
Shhh, BL. The Tan Berets have got this.
Jun 7, 2017 3:57 AM
0 0
I feel like letting the Russia thing sit for a while, and maybe getting back to just appreciating Trump for being the unmitigated cuntbucket that he is, no conspiracy necessary.
Jun 7, 2017 4:01 AM
0 0
I didn't even have to say it three times.
Jun 7, 2017 4:25 AM
0 0
I've been spending a lot of time on the politics Reddit as of late and the way the posters talk about the stranglehold Republicans have on their base with propaganda practices and their efforts to rig elections in their favor and how they will go to any length to protect themselves in these ongoing scandals really makes me want to just die. If the Democrats don't get the majority in the midterms, then I honestly feel like the country will be irrevocably doomed. They'll just be able to double down on their legislation, suppression, and propaganda tactics. And I don't think the Democrats will do well either, as over the past year I see so many bombshell headlines that should ruin someone's career but they just disappear and those people keep winning. If the democrats lose then what? Armed resistance by 2021? The West Coast states seceding? Ugh, it all seems so, so bad that I can't even gleam any entertainment from Trump; his antics just fill me with literal rage.
Jun 7, 2017 2:43 PM
0 0
Wonder when Trump tweets congratulations to ISIS for their Tehran attack.
Jun 7, 2017 3:54 PM
0 0
This testimony going on right now is insane. Heinrich, Warner, and King were brutal.
Jun 7, 2017 3:57 PM
0 0
I really want Janson's and BL's hot takes on the NSA hearing today and Comey's opening testimony.
Jun 7, 2017 9:49 PM
0 0
Evan SolomonI really want Janson's and BL's hot takes on the NSA hearing today and Comey's opening testimony.

I don't have much to say about the NSA hearing. It was contentious and good theater, but I haven't seen very much of substance produced from it.

Comey seems to be confirming that Trump fired him primarily because he was under the impression that Comey had vowed his loyalty ("we had that thing, you know"), and actually, I'm not entirely sure that Comey did enough to disavow him of that notion. He seemed to deliberately leave it vague in their personal interactions, explicit enough to recount in his memos, but still leaving enough ambiguity to string Trump along. Basically, Comey acknowledges that he knew Trump had a misunderstanding, and chose not to confront him over it, instead asking Sessions to make sure he's not put in that position again.

There's already lines that need clarifying, especially when Trump and many of his surrogates are prone to take advantage of them. The question of whether Trump "personally" was under investigation, as opposed to his campaign being under investigation, is one, as the RNC has already pushed that out as a talking point. What Comey actually said was that Trump was not "personally" under investigation when he was inaugurated (when they had these first meetings), and tried to explain to him that if he were to publicly say this, that he would be forced to correct it if or when Trump ended up under personal investigation, as Comey has promised that they will follow the investigation where it leads. (Whether Trump is under personal investigation today is unknown, and there's simply no way that Comey will comment on this question if asked.)

The whole "honest loyalty" thing will be an issue. Comey will get grilled on why he didn't immediately correct Trump on this point, given that the phrase is so inappropriate (answer: because Comey does not appear to have wanted to provoke the President).
Jun 7, 2017 10:16 PM
0 0
EDIT: never mind, mods delete post

Jun 7, 2017 10:43 PM
0 0
Another deceptive talking point circulating at the moment is that Trump never obstructed justice because, in these incidents with Comey and Coats, he never actually ordered them to do anything, only making suggestions that might have been inappropriate. Well, maybe that's true, although even the fact that he inappropriately engaged these officials in the discussion of the investigation makes for thin ice. But the larger issue is that I haven't seen where anyone has made the case that these suggestions amounted to obstruction themselves. No, it's the firing of Comey that would be the obstruction, and these documented "suggestions" only provide evidence of intent. As in, "I hope you can let this go". Comey doesn't let it go. And then Comey is fired under false pretenses. If Trump fired Comey because Comey wouldn't let it go, and he intended to relieve the pressure of "the cloud" of the investigation that Comey so disloyally refused to let go, then it is clearly obstruction of justice.

What is evident in Comey's depiction is that Trump very clearly thought they had an understanding, and that understanding was very clearly the ending of the investigation.
Jun 7, 2017 11:22 PM
0 0
Evan SolomonI've been spending a lot of time on the politics Reddit as of late and the way the posters talk about the stranglehold Republicans have on their base with propaganda practices and their efforts to rig elections in their favor and how they will go to any length to protect themselves in these ongoing scandals really makes me want to just die. If the Democrats don't get the majority in the midterms, then I honestly feel like the country will be irrevocably doomed. They'll just be able to double down on their legislation, suppression, and propaganda tactics. And I don't think the Democrats will do well either, as over the past year I see so many bombshell headlines that should ruin someone's career but they just disappear and those people keep winning. If the democrats lose then what? Armed resistance by 2021? The West Coast states seceding? Ugh, it all seems so, so bad that I can't even gleam any entertainment from Trump; his antics just fill me with literal rage.

For what it's worth, the r/politics subreddit has a seriously dopey contingent of liberal posters. You and I are both liberals, I'm sure, but the slant's so pervasive that it's become an echo chamber over there. [When I go, it's mostly to scope the new headlines from WaPo and NYT and to see if anyone has a funny comment.]

I don't think the western coastal states have any meaningful desire to secede. In fact, the recent CalExit campaign fell apart when the leader was revealed to be a Russian sympathizer trying to sow discord. He's since abandoned the campaign and moved to Russia. This all happened, and it is fucking absurd.
Jun 8, 2017 1:38 AM
0 0
DaMUThis all happened, and it is fucking absurd.

The fact that stuff like this is starting to make perfect strategic sense to me is very alarming. But then again, I'm a Russophobe.
Jun 8, 2017 1:46 AM
0 0
Jun 8, 2017 1:47 AM
0 0
r/politics is a cancer. It creeps out even an Euro leftist like me. If one wants to preserve their sanity they should not invest in that sub.
Jun 8, 2017 3:19 AM
0 0
Did the pres just go a day or two without tweeting anything completely ignorant?
Jun 8, 2017 2:10 PM
0 0
'I am not a woman, so I don't have bad days.'

Putin from the new Oliver Stone doc. I wonder how a guy like that could ever get along with Red Don.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/06/08/i-am-not-a-woman-so-i-dont-have-bad-days-vladimir-putin-says.html
Jun 8, 2017 4:19 PM
0 0
So McCain is legitimately having a senility moment on live TV where he cannot get names straight and is literally rambling incoherently.
Jun 8, 2017 4:39 PM
0 0