I'm starting to loathe the actions of President Trump

Oxnard Montalvoalbeit a very slight silver lining to our abdication of global leadership/responsibility. but at least we won't be weighing down the rest of the world in the short term.

Yeah, we'll just be over here with Syria and Nicaragua. The places known for progressive imperatives.
Jun 1, 2017 12:58 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Oxnard Montalvoalbeit a very slight silver lining to our abdication of global leadership/responsibility. but at least we won't be weighing down the rest of the world in the short term.

Yeah, we'll just be over here with Syria and Nicaragua. ?The places known for progressive imperatives.

in unrelated news, Russia has yet to ratify the agreement.
Jun 1, 2017 1:12 AM
0 0
Oxnard Montalvo
Janson Jinnistan

Yeah, we'll just be over here with Syria and Nicaragua. ?The places known for progressive imperatives.

in unrelated news, Russia has yet to ratify the agreement.

My liberal media cabal must have forgot about that tidbit today.

I guess it makes sense considering their Arctic Ocean acquisitions.
Jun 1, 2017 1:24 AM
0 0
Jun 1, 2017 1:49 AM
0 0
also if y'all are interested, Comey to testify on June 8th.

fingers crossed for some goddamn answers
Jun 1, 2017 10:24 PM
0 0
Oxnard Montalvoalso if y'all are interested, Comey to testify on June 8th.

fingers crossed for some goddamn answers

My understanding is that it will focus on his one-on-one conversations with Trump, and whatever memos he wrote about them. So, at the very least, we can maybe determine further obstruction details from Trump.

The memos themselves, I understand, have already been turned over to Mueller, so I doubt that we'll be seeing them anytime soon.
Jun 1, 2017 11:08 PM
0 0
USA finally relinquishes global leadership. It was a long time coming.

Good. It's time for Europe to lead the world again.
Jun 2, 2017 1:50 AM
0 0
Ben OrganaUSA finally relinquishes global leadership. It was a long time coming.

Sweet tits, I remember that working out pretty well!
Jun 2, 2017 2:13 AM
0 0
Hand the keys, and incredibly smart and well off people from around the globe, over to Canada, everyone. America, you just fucking sit in a corner and shut the everloving fuck up for the remainder of eternity
Jun 2, 2017 2:50 AM
0 0
Seriously, every single day it's just the biggest news story of all time by some considerable metric and that stuff is what you find in the back pages. Like, fucking world's rudderless, everyone, we lost control of the ship!
Jun 2, 2017 2:51 AM
0 0
Sorcerer Supreme NamelessHand the keys, and incredibly smart and well off people from around the globe, over to Canada, everyone. America, you just fucking sit in a corner and shut the everloving fuck up for the remainder of eternity

Canada is too irrelevant to be handing the keys to.
Jun 2, 2017 3:20 AM
0 0
ergill sanchez
?Ben OrganaUSA finally relinquishes global leadership. It was a long time coming.

We've learned from it well. The record of European Union in regards to human rights, military adventures, standard of living, charity, refugee intake, and world peace and prosperity pisses all over the US.?
How can sensible eyes not see that a confederate European super state not be the greatest global leader?
What are the alternatives? China? India? God fearing, climate denying US?
Jun 2, 2017 3:24 AM
0 0
Ben Organa
Sorcerer Supreme NamelessHand the keys, and incredibly smart and well off people from around the globe, over to Canada, everyone. America, you just fucking sit in a corner and shut the everloving fuck up for the remainder of eternity

You are too irrelevant to even bother.
Jun 2, 2017 3:26 AM
0 0
Ben Organa
ergill sanchez
?Ben OrganaUSA finally relinquishes global leadership. It was a long time coming.

We've learned from it well. The record of European Union in regards to human rights, military adventures, standard of living, charity, refugee intake, and world peace and prosperity pisses all over the US.?
How can sensible eyes not see that a confederate European super state not be the greatest global leader?
What are the alternatives? China? India? God fearing, climate denying US?

Admit you're Square M.
Jun 2, 2017 3:37 AM
0 0
People need to start using these more often.

This would also work.

Jun 4, 2017 7:20 PM
0 0
Jun 4, 2017 8:19 PM
0 0
Ben Organa

Canada has a much stronger more intelligent and articulate leader leader than we do and most importantly has a better handshake.
Jun 4, 2017 9:36 PM
0 0
Red Don refuses to properly read, write, or think.

London Mayer Khan telling Londoners 'there's no reason to be alarmed...' [Trump stopped reading] '...regarding the increased visibility of police.'
Jun 5, 2017 12:17 AM
0 0
TeamCanadaLondon Mayer Khan telling Londoners 'there's no reason to be alarmed...' [Trump stopped reading] '...regarding the increased visibility of police.'

Something tells me that if Teresa May (who said a similar thing about "going about your lives") was Mayor of London, and Khan was Prime Minister, somehow Trump's ire would still fall on his shoulders.
Jun 5, 2017 12:41 AM
0 0
I guess there hasn't been much of a reaction in the thread to the Paris thing.

There's a lot of misinformation that needs to be settled, and many media sources (especially television) are allowing Trump and his defenders continue to insist that the Accords placed strict limits on our ability to produce energy, such as blocking coal plants, etc. This is not true. In fact, it's such a non-truth that it's appalling that it hasn't more quickly been corrected.

The Accords was a voluntary agreement, not a legally-binding treaty, which allowed its participants to set their own emissions standards. It mentions nothing about means of energy production, either green or coal. There's nothing in the agreement that prohibits new American coal plants. And these voluntary targets for emission standards were flexible. If America decided that it would not meet the target of a 25% reduction by 2030, then it has every right to adjust the target, even suspend it.

This has been the reason why the Accords have been criticized from environmentalists, because it is non-binding and its members are free to either change or disregard these "commitments". It's toothless, only the fear was that it would have been China or India who decided not to meet their emissions targets instead. It was a very lax, modest blueprint for emission reduction and practically not much more than an international salvo for the intent to take the issue seriously and lay the groundwork for a future, presumably more serious, framework. It wasn't enough, but it was better than nothing, and I don't underestimate the symbolic importance of having this international consensus for doing something about this potentially life-threatening problem.

It needs to be understood that there was absolutely no reason for Trump to withdrawal from the Accords precisely because of this same laxity its critics noted. Trump could have reduced our emissions targets, he could have reduced our commitment to invest in capping emissions in the developing world. All of that would have been bad and counterproductive, but he had that right, within the agreement's framework, without necessitating a complete withdrawal from the agreement.

No. Just as the agreement was a symbolic victory for the recognition of the problem, Trump's move here was also a symbolic middle finger to the rest of the world. It was a nationalist expression, continuing the deliberate erosion of international institutions and norms. His insistence on "renegotiation" is equally insulting, like the drunk husband who smashes all the glasses, slams the door and while starting his car yells out the window "But we can still talk about this, honey".

All I know is that I'm sure this decision will absolutely not profit Putin's petro-exports in the least. That's always the most important thing to remember.
Jun 5, 2017 1:01 AM
0 0