I'm starting to loathe the actions of President Trump

Oxnard Montalvoyeah I was glad to hear the news from France although pessimist that I am, I still feel that the struggle between nationalism and globalism will be with us for a long time.

Money talks. I don't think it'll take a long time, yet it'll be a few years before the world decides if it's worth it or not. If ppl are angry about paying more for trash, they'll vote the other way again.
May 8, 2017 3:23 AM
0 0
TeamCanada
Oxnard Montalvoyeah I was glad to hear the news from France although pessimist that I am, I still feel that the struggle between nationalism and globalism will be with us for a long time.

Money talks. I don't think it'll take a long time, yet it'll be a few years before the world decides if it's worth it or not. If ppl are angry about paying more for trash, they'll vote the other way again.

besides the economic stuff I was also thinking about immigration/refugees as contributing to the split. and global warming is starting to tap the gas on that. (plus the other conditions that create displaced people)
May 8, 2017 3:34 AM
0 0
Sally Yates' testimony sadly didn't reveal a whole lot of new information. Of course, it reasserted some very important info that we'd already gleaned, namely the question for why and how Michael Flynn - whom even Trump's transition team is claiming to have had worries about - got named as the national security advisor despite all of his problems. Steve Bannon's explanation, that Flynn was put in that post in order to "keep an eye on him", frankly just doesn't make a lick of sense, and given Trump's focus on leaks still suggests that he blames the media for exposing Flynn far more than he blames Flynn for his dishonesty. Still blaming Obama, even after it comes out that Obama, too, had warned Trump not to put Flynn in a top-level position. Apparently, for Trump, the real sin here is everyone else being right before Trump was, a sinister betrayal of his aggrieved aggrandizement. Like like how spontaneously he reversed on NATO "now" being relevant, or Jhina "now" not manipulating the currency, it can't possibly be that Trump has realized and corrected an error in his perception. I bet he's an expert cloudbuster on windy days.

And in other news, who's Jared Kushner's sister? Good question. I guess we'll continue to tolerate these things until we don't. It might pail in comparison to firing government scientists, repealing the health care of the poorest millions or potentially treasonous collusion but it's the little things, the mild reminders of corruption and naked graft that seems to sting the worst.
May 9, 2017 1:31 AM
1 0
On the bright side, she bitch-slapped Cornyn and Cruz like Moe lining up Curly and Larry.
May 9, 2017 2:15 AM
0 0
May 9, 2017 3:28 PM
0 0
My mild disappointment at the lack of juicy scoop seems to be a common takeaway, with Trump characteristically tweeting about "old news", but of course there was plenty of new news in the form of questions left unanswered. The Atlantic had a more accurate reflection of the aspects that remain frustratingly elusive, most and maybe all of which due to material remaining classified.

First of all, we need to define the "underlying conduct" of Flynn that's under discussion - "She would not describe Flynn's 'underlying conduct,' which he allegedly misrepresented, nor what statutes he might have violated, as she said doing either would reveal classified information." We know that this partially includes discussing sanctions with the Russian ambassador, but Yates also mentions that "every time this lie was repeated, and the misrepresentations were getting more and more specific, every time that happened, it increased the compromise" of possible Russian blackmail. I'd like to know the specifics of these misrepresentations. Also potentially telling, Yates refused to confirm whether or not Flynn's conversations with the ambassador were incidentally collected, leaving room for the possibility of his being under a yet-undisclosed FISA warrant, which would obviously involve a whole other set of implications.

There are two documents that we need to see. The January 24th FBI interview with Flynn would be extremely useful as it was in reviewing this interview that led to Yates' warning to the White House over his duplicity. For some reason, there hasn't been as much talk about these perjury charges if this proves to be correct, and again I assume that the more specific misrepresentations she referred to were occurring here. The second document is this alleged White House legal counsel review of Flynn, which both Spicer and Priebus claimed was conducted after Yates' "heads up" and which they claimed showed that Flynn had done nothing wrong. Let's see that math. Because if their reasoning in this legal evaluation was as stunted as their alleged reasoning that Flynn did not require any further security clearance as national security advisor (the basis of their claim that this is really all Obama's fault), then I imagine it will be more evidence of the Trump team already knowing that Flynn had issues that they very deliberately did not want to know about.
May 9, 2017 3:31 PM
0 0
whoa, James Comey has been fired.
May 9, 2017 9:58 PM
0 0
Oxnard Montalvowhoa, James Comey has been fired.

God Damn comey!
May 9, 2017 10:03 PM
0 0

He screwed up his testimony to Congress last week.
May 9, 2017 10:12 PM
0 0
Bukama

it's still hard to temper one's suspicions. Sessions, Russia, etc etc etc

but yeah I had heard about the thing with the emails
May 9, 2017 10:27 PM
0 0
This Comey firing feels like some potential apex of Trump's drunk with power ego before it all mudslides down to hell.
May 9, 2017 10:58 PM
0 0

May 9, 2017 10:59 PM
0 0
Bukama

Yes, he got confused over whether Huma Abedin had forwarded emails to Weiner's laptop or whether her BlackBerry was set up to automatically back up those emails.

This mistake had no bearing on the substance of his testimony:

The AtlanticThat probably wouldn't make a difference in the ultimate disposition of the case. "From a strict legal perspective, removing classified information from an authorized, secure location and placing it in an unauthorized, insecure location would implicate the statutory provisions," Bradley Moss, a national-security lawyer, noted in an email. "It doesn't matter if it was the laptop or her BlackBerry. Her BlackBerry wasn't authorized for retention of classified materials any more than her husband's laptop."

So Comey knew he had misspoke and was in the process of correcting this technicality when Trump, recommended by his allegedly recused Attorney General, used this as a pretext to removing him from the investigation into him. Even Trump's letter of termination takes a shot at Comey for apparently (according to Trump, who has a notoriously poor recall for conversation) informing Trump that he was not under investigation before telling Congress in March that, in fact, he was.

In short, you have to be a terminal fool to believe that this wasn't completely vindictive.
May 10, 2017 12:01 AM
0 0
Another detail:

The Atlantic[Deputy AG] Rosenstein identified several errors. First, he said Comey "usurp[ed]" the authority of Attorney General Loretta Lynch by announcing that he did not recommend charges against Clinton. Comey made that choice in part because he believed Lynch was compromised by a meeting with Bill Clinton shortly before the decision.

Comey only "usurped" Lynch because Lynch had, by this time, recused herself from the case because of the Clinton tarmac episode.

Rosenstein uses the Oct. 28 letter to Congress as another example, but he fails to note how Trump surrogates (Giuliani, most notably) were already whispering rumors about the contents of Weiner's laptop, and that part of Comey's rationale was to curb these rumors which seemed to be originating from the NYC FBI office. (And it should also be noted that even before Comey's letter, the fake news sites were already claiming that Weiner's laptop held concrete evidence of the nefarious child-sex-slave ring in Comet Pizza.)

This whole charade seems designed to capitalize on Dems' distrust of Comey.
May 10, 2017 12:18 AM
0 0
It is a charade. It's an obvious charade. Trump's had every opportunity to fire Comey for the exact same reasons his team cites, and it would've been less conspicuous to do so during his transition, and they could've easily mitigated national concerns right now by announcing a non-partisan replacement and ensuring a continuation of the Russian investigation - Trump could've even said something I like, "I had no connection with Russia, and I'm confident an investigation will bear this out."

But nope.
May 10, 2017 12:39 AM
0 0
May 10, 2017 1:14 AM
0 0
Hopefully, Trump's action today was completely unrelated to two stories that immediately preceded Comey's firing that may have made his administration a little defensive.
May 10, 2017 4:19 AM
0 0
I'm almost certain that at some point Trump will be responsible for killing me. If not by starting a nuclear war or drowning me in garbage, then by exasperation. I simply can't take this enormously dangerous doofus anymore.
May 10, 2017 4:22 AM
0 0
crumbsroomI'm almost certain that at some point Trump will be responsible for killing me. If not by starting a nuclear war or drowning me in garbage, then by exasperation. I simply can't take this enormously dangerous doofus anymore.

This is off-topic and completely unsubstantiated paranoia on my part, but one of my very prominent fears of this administration is the emergence of another Flint water crisis, which I just feel is imminent due to their evisceration of the EPA and government scientific advisors. But all of these green lights to "states' rights" to have more control and less regulation over these exact utilities, I'm certain that there will be more local communities who find themselves poisoned because of local back-scratch penny-pinching. And when it does happen, it will be a place like Flint, a place that is not normally in the consciousness of average Americans, and probably like Flint, it will fuel about a week's worth of pity before being forgotten until the next local water crisis, maybe in Paducah or Toledo or Eerie or Gary or Asheville.

What I'm saying is that I bought a new shower-head filter and lead-testing kit.
May 10, 2017 4:34 AM
0 0
I don't think this got a lot of press, but-

On 19 different occasions (when he wasn't president), Trump crapped all over the monthly jobs report as being fake /phony.

Then, as soon as he is president, the jobs report comes out and now the numbers are real.

White House press secretary Sean Spicer laid it to rest Friday afternoon, telling reporters: ?I talked to the president prior to this, and he said to quote him very clearly: 'They may have been phony in the past, but it?s very real now.' ?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/10/19-times-trump-called-the-jobs-numbers-fake-before-they-made-him-look-good/?utm_term=.fd14fe8510d0

That is an epic disconnect from reality right there.

May 10, 2017 5:18 PM
0 0