I'm starting to loathe the actions of President Trump

Per the "Biden Rule," we shouldn't be appointing justices in the final year of a president's tenure.
Mar 24, 2017 5:24 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
crumbsroom

Finally, the Trump Presidency has given me something that really matters.

Seriously, when was the last time that Melania has touched this guy?

They are probably in an open relationship.?
Mar 24, 2017 8:13 PM
0 0
Honestly, I don't care if rainbows shoot out of his ass. It's a stolen seat and the president and most of his cabinet are under investigation for collusion with a hostile foreign power. We shouldn't be making lifetime appointments right now.[/quote]
I am not a media conspiracist but what you are describing is the narrative being forced on cable news right now.
Your parroting a questionable opinion written in the last day or two that sounds like a plausible excuse for partisans to engage in bad behavior.
Dems want to quid pro quo the GOP for Merrick Garland. Its not a stolen seat. Also its not true that most of Trumps cabinet are under investigation.
Yeah lets govern our country with eternal grudges. the way Israel and Palestine do.

I would argue Gorsuch sort of does have rainbows firing out of his rear end.
Everything I have heard indicates to me he would be perfectly acceptable and honorable Justice.
There are no serious red flags that he is going to be beholding to Trump nor does he suspiciously sound like
he has a hidden goal to overturn Roe vs. Wade.
He looks like Mike Pence but he doesn't feel plastic and phony cartoon character like Pence. He has a mind governed
by constitutional principles not partisanship. If you didn't tell me he was picked by Trump I would never know it from listening to him.
He sounds like a justice should sound. We can all smell partisan tools. I am not smelling it on Gorsuch and I am finding it a
refreshing change from most of the congress and senate on both sides of the aisle.

Maybe its because I hate the Democrats and the Republicans. I just happen to find the Republicans more contemptible.
The Republicans behave like bratty belligerent children and I find it just as forehead slapping
when the Democrats do it. They aren't deciding on the man in front of them. They are planning to make the Republicans
pay for not voting on Garland. That's childish in my opinion. Unless someone can make a strong argument his decisions belie
what he is saying in the hearings. Gorsuch sounds as good as any candidate for the position I have ever heard in my lifetime.

The Supremen Court position is going to be filled and President Trump is going to appoint the next one after you reject this one too. The people voted in favor of a Republican President to pick justices for the next four years. Every candidate will be picked by Trump. Do you want door number one, door number two or door number three. I'll take door number one. Its not even that Gorsuch is the devil I know. I don't think Gorsuch is a devil. Just a solid candidate for a justice.
Mar 25, 2017 7:52 AM
0 0
Robin McDonaldIts not a stolen seat.

I'm all for accepting Gorsuch because he is realistically as good as it is going to get under the circumstances, but of course it is a stolen seat. Those who oppose him because of this aren't being unreasonable.
Mar 25, 2017 11:18 AM
0 0
I'm being pragmatic about the Gorsuch seat, which is that my opinion of him and the process are irrelevant to the more-than-likely fact that he will be confirmed to it. My point is whether or not he is confirmed with the Senate filibuster intact or whether Dems manage to lose both the SCOTUS seat and the filibuster at the same time. I don't see why they should double down on the latter bet that they will likely lose. Sure, I hope that all of this increasingly thickening scandal-in-the-making will finally result in Trump's demise sooner rather than later, but it still doesn't guarantee that he will not have the opportunity to nominate a second SCOTUS justice and I can guarantee you that the next one will make Gorsuch look like a fucking hippie in comparison and the Dems will be sorely missing that filibuster when they have a clear-cut case of a true judicial activist on their hands.
Mar 25, 2017 12:43 PM
0 0
However...

I....agree. As contemptible and ill-willed as the Republicans were in denying Garland a hearing (unprecedented in fact), it doesn't appear to have been in violation of the Senate rules. This election has been a bitter learning lesson in the many ways that our system is not as honorable and immune to cynical desperation as it may have seemed under more honorable and dignified Senators. Had Clinton won, the Pub Senate could conceivably have kept Scalia's seat open in perpetuity as long as they had the votes to and that also wouldn't be a strict violation of the rules however unprecedented and ethically malicious as it would have been. And until Dems actually start voting for their Senators, there's little chance to reform these vulnerabilities in the system.

Robin McDonaldYeah lets govern our country with eternal grudges. the way Israel and Palestine do.

As if the Palestinians have a country to govern. Other than that, good comparison, especially in terms of the complete imbalance of justice.

Robin McDonaldGorsuch sounds as good as any candidate for the position I have ever heard in my lifetime.

Please. I'm sure you're old enough to have been living during Ginsberg's confirmation, and Sotomayor kicks all of the ass on the bench right now.

Gorsuch revealed a handful of really crucial liabilities in his hearings, but especially by denying a special needs student to an equal education (Gorsuch should be smart enough to know that he was not beholden to Circuit Court precedent in that situation) and allowing a company to fire an employee refusing to accept life-threatening circumstances. What we need to see here are not the specific cases but the macro-ideology of a justice who would decide in such a way. The respective implications for equal protection (a bane for conservatives), education and labor protections should be enough to give any compassionate person pause. This doesn't even begin to calculate these implications into the exhibited Republican formula we're already seeing (in regulation and budget proposals) in regards to these areas, where compassion for the marginal and weak is an after-thought to profits and returns.

Robin McDonaldThe people voted in favor of a Republican President to pick justices for the next four years.

Good one.

Robin McDonaldI don't think Gorsuch is a devil.

No, he's just a prick. The question is whether this prick has the ethical integrity and the cajones to stand up to those who promoted him.
Mar 25, 2017 1:10 PM
0 0
I don't remember listening to Sotomayor and wasn't paying as much attention during Ginsberg. You called me out correctly on all the right things. And appreciate the backup on the other ones. I agree on the trucker thing but don't think its a make or break issue. Based on his answer he would have walked out on Trump if he asked him to overturn Roe and that he was dismayed at Trumps comments surrounding the Muslim ban I think he has the cajones.
Mar 25, 2017 4:42 PM
0 0
crumbsroom

I'm all for accepting Gorsuch because he is realistically as good as it is going to get under the circumstances, but of course it is a stolen seat. Those who oppose him because of this aren't being unreasonable.

No offense intended to those who think its reasonable, this is just my take.
I think "stolen seat" is contrived, politically motivated and calculated to bring out the torches and pitchforks. Its inaccurate. But so was Mitch McConnell's cynical invocation of "the Biden Rule" to block Merrick Garland. In context Biden was trying to prevent offensive and contentious partisan fighting so a good nominee could get a fair hearing. He suggested postponing IF a judge position opened up, but none ever did. It was a suggestion, not a rule and wasn't suggested to block a vote on a candidate but help them get a good hearing. McConnell invoking Biden to justify partisanship is offensive and cynical to the spirit of his intention. To honor Biden you vote for Gorsuch up or down based on the judges merits . You dishonor Biden if you employ partisan positioning and payback to justify voting against him. No one here has to agree with me he's a good man. But I do think so.

Payback is reasonable only in the sense of tit for tat. You have a justification. But its not a good reason if Gorsuch is an honorable candidate.

Mar 25, 2017 6:57 PM
0 0
Party's are healthy to prevent tyranny and act as brakes. Party-sanship is an inevitable dysfunction where children are fighting for the reigns, but polarization is a house divided against itself. Its sick and broken. Republicans likely would have voted Garland down just because its Obama's pick. If that's a wrong, voting Gorsuch down because he is Trump's pick is also wrong . There should be a worthy argument against him.

Blocking all nominations until Trump is determined not- to-be-working- on-behalf-of-the-Russians is insane Hannity logic. If for no other reasons than the Amercan people had the chance to consider Trumps Russian connections and they voted for him anyway. You are actually entitled to vote for a president who might be suspected as a Russian mole Just as you are entitled to vote for a suspected radical Muslim terrorist mole. The supposed Russian goal is to de-legitimatize our elections and our president regardless of who is elected. If a Republican or a Democrat has made their credo is payback and resist everything.... achievement unlocked. Putin is probably gleefully wringing his hands and petting Mr. Bigglesworth.

I never thought I would see a day where its the Democrats who are all about stopping secret plots of the evil Russians.

Mar 25, 2017 7:02 PM
0 0
Robin McDonaldIf for no other reasons than the Amercan people had the chance to consider Trumps Russian connections and they voted for him anyway.

Eh, I strongly disagree with this. We've learned a lot of crucial information since the election. The Intelligence Report showing consensus on the hacking/disinformation effort wasn't released until January, so even if the more informed of us were theorizing the possibility of, not even collusion, but simply Russia interfering for their own ends, we had no real confirmation until after the election. Details about Flynn, Manafort, Stone and Page have all been enhanced since then. The Steele dossier, although it had been apparently circulating among reporters since the summer, wasn't widely reported until after the election, and even then, coverage focused on the fairly irrelevant salacious aspects while ignoring the alleged deal made by Page. Lots of Russian diplomats with possible connections to this deal have turned up dead since the election, the sale of 19.5% of Rosneft oil company - the exact same amount cited in the dossier - was sold to an anonymous Qatari bank account in December, Russia resumed aggression in Ukraine with complete silence from Trump, etc, etc. On November 8, all of these things were still speculative, and not even very well reported in mainstream media, for it to have had any concrete effect on the election. Since then, a lot has unraveled that has increased skepticism and eroded confidence. The Flynn resignation specifically. I know people who refused to entertain the Russian story until then, because they reasonably assumed that Flynn wouldn't have resigned simply for talking to an ambassador. That was the moment when people started to realize that they were hiding something.

Robin McDonaldI never thought I would see a day where its the Democrats who are all about stopping secret plots of the evil Russians.

And I never thought I'd see the day when Russia was conducting such a brazen not-even-secret plot to undermine our system. If McCarthy had half of the evidence we have today, then no one would have thought he was so crazy.
Mar 25, 2017 8:31 PM
0 0
Hannity could run a two hour special on all the ways Obama was linked to Muslims and terrorists though associates and associates of associates. And it didn't even lessen when he took down Bin Laden. People hungry for reasons that Obama was a bad guy, a closet muslim, not a real American lapped it up. Hannity didn't let go of Ayers for years. We have the same conditions reversed. People hate Trump won. They just want to get him. And well, good luck with that.

I have no choice but to wait until there is something really conclusive appears. I understand this could take years. Whenever such links are made Trump can cut these people loose and claim he didn't know. I'd be as happy as anyone if that happened but until then he is the man we elected as president.
And he gets to try to fulfill the ideas he ran on and do the things President's do like appoint judges. He has to run them through our process. I'm totally worn out just from three weeks trying to nail him on the wiretap accusation. I am not going to be whooped into a sustained frenzy of anger over Russia suspicions. What did he do? I don't know. When I know maybe I'll get angry. A lot of people are living out a fantasy that Trump will be impeached before the year is out. After wearing down the country Republicans finally impeached Clinton and all that came of it was a finger wagging. Shame on you Bill Clinton for having sexual relations with that woman.

IF and its a big 'if' Trump goes down it will be when his supporters see him as a con man who couldn't deliver on a damn thing he promised. The best thing he did to undermine himself was to promise it would all be so easy. He would do everything so fast it would make our heads spin.

BUT and here is a big but. If he does succeed in creating new jobs and grows the economy, nothing that comes out of a Russian investigation will
matter much.
Mar 26, 2017 1:19 AM
0 0
I'm not sure if you're trying to draw an equivalence between Trump/Russians and Obama=secret muslim, but the primary difference between the two is that one of those had exactly zero tangible evidence. If you think that Hannity is as credible as any other journalist who has been working at corroborating the things in the Steele dossier or the numerous other contacts between Trump's camp and Russian intelligence, I honestly don't know what to tell you. Maybe stop watching so much TV?
Mar 26, 2017 1:33 AM
0 0
Janson JinnistanI'm not sure if you're trying to draw an equivalence between Trump/Russians and Obama=secret muslim, but the primary difference between the two is that one of those had exactly zero tangible evidence. ?If you think that Hannity is as credible as any other journalist who has been working at corroborating the things in the Steele dossier or the numerous other contacts between Trump's camp and Russian intelligence, I honestly don't know what to tell you. ?Maybe stop watching so much TV?

Even Hannity says he is not a journalist.
I think there is an equivalence of crazed blood lust against this president. And barring treason all the sound and fury over Russia will probably result in an underwhelming payoff. These connections have turned out to be improper but legal.
Is it even illegal to work secretly with a foreign power who wants to help you get elected ? Seems like it should be but I'm so stupid I don't even know if it is.
Mar 26, 2017 1:56 AM
0 0
Robin McDonaldEven Hannity says he is not a journalist.
I think there is an equivalence of crazed blood lust against this president. And barring treason all the sound and fury over Russia will probably result in an underwhelming payoff. These connections have turned out to be improper but legal.
Is it even illegal to work secretly with a foreign power who wants to help you get elected ? Seems like it should be but I'm so stupid I don't even know if it is.

Robin, I'm going to be frank. You sound like a case study in precisely the kind of post-fact confusion that this disinformation campaign was designed to incite. The fact that you can't discern a difference between the bullshit theories over the birth certificate or Obama's supposed sympathy for terrorists and the documented (key term) Russian interference in our election (and, yes, absolutely it would be illegal if collusion with Trump were confirmed) then I really don't know what to tell you. Why you brought up what Hannity has to say, as if he's some legitimate counterbalance to the real journalism going on that's uncovering the latter, I have no idea. It's like the crowd in Washington today still demanding that Pizzagate get investigated. Some people have lost their grip on reality.
Mar 26, 2017 2:09 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Robin McDonaldEven Hannity says he is not a journalist.
I think there is an equivalence of crazed blood lust against this president. And barring treason all the sound and fury over Russia will probably result in an underwhelming ?payoff. These connections have turned out to be improper but legal.
Is it even illegal to work secretly with a foreign power who wants to help you get elected ? ?Seems like it should be but I'm so stupid I don't even know if it is.

Robin, I'm going to be frank. You sound like a case study in precisely the kind of post-fact confusion that this disinformation campaign was designed to incite. The fact that you can't discern a difference between the bullshit theories over the birth certificate or Obama's supposed sympathy for terrorists and the documented (key term) Russian interference in our election (and, yes, absolutely it would be illegal if collusion with Trump were confirmed) then I really don't know what to tell you. Why you brought up what Hannity has to say, as if he's some legitimate counterbalance to the real journalism going on that's uncovering the latter, I have no idea. It's like the crowd in Washington today still demanding that Pizzagate get investigated. ?Some people have lost their grip on reality.

I can discern these differences as well as anyone. Its just that it doesn't matter if I can tell the difference between Sean Hannity on Obama and this Russian scandal. In a world were truth and facts ruled FOX would not be the number one news channel and Hannity would not be on the air. I live in a world where the police are aquitted on Rodney King, OJ is found Not Guilty, and Donald Trump is elected President. When Nixon was found out he had the decency to resign. Trump would consider him a loser. Trump will never admit wrong doing and will never resign. And he will have passionate supporters regardless of the facts that turn up on Russia-gate. My money is not on Trump being taken down by Russiagate regardless of the truth.
Mar 26, 2017 4:34 AM
0 0
Believe it or not Alex Jones and Info Wars have washed their hands of Pizzagate and even apologized at length for it.
Mar 26, 2017 4:59 AM
0 0
Robin McDonaldBelieve it or not Alex Jones and Info Wars have washed their hands of Pizzagate and even apologized at length for it.

He had to. A letter was sent and under Texas law, Jones had 30 days to issue that apology to avoid damages against Info Wars for libel

So he was just covering his own dumb ass and not being sorry.
Mar 27, 2017 1:22 AM
0 0
Maybe you have seen it but I just saw the most awesome thing,. Ted Koppel goes on Hannity's show and tells him he and his show are bad for America.
That is incredible because what's he going say back to Ted Koppel? And Hannity asked for it. Do you think our show is bad for America?
Yes. Hannity says your cynical. And Koppel with his slow deliberate tone says Yes because you are very good at what you do and you have?
taken and grown a segment of America that believes ideology is more important than facts. ?Its just did my heart good to see him stymied in that moment
because usually he would just start eviscerating someone who said something like that. But even Hannity had to measure his response to such a trusted
real newsman. ?

Hannity is fuming about it because I guess after he went into one of his diatribes about how the liberal media has failed America and it was excised as unimportant.
This was just a dream come true.

Mar 27, 2017 5:01 AM
0 0
Fox News actually put out a 'breaking news' tweet that Trump was working at the White House this weekend. Then pictures of him at a Golf resort in Virginia popped up.

Fox News fail!!!
Mar 27, 2017 1:43 PM
0 0
BaadroneFox News actually put out a 'breaking news' tweet that Trump was working at the White House this weekend.

kind of a low bar there
Mar 27, 2017 5:49 PM
0 0