Nintendo Switches it up

SpasticNed
PaquitoMan, I really want to play the newest Zelda, but there's a good chance I'd effectively be spending hundreds of dollars just for that one game. Maybe I'll borrow someone's unused Wii-U, there are a ton of those.

I didn't even realize their system-mover title was also being released with the same content(downgraded graphics and sound, but that's it) on the wii-u. crazy strategy.

They did the same thing with Twilight Princess, too. Fun fact: Link is left handed. When they developed the Wii version it didn't match the way you use the motion controls, so to save time, they flipped the entire game for the port.
Jan 26, 2017 5:32 PM
0 0
MeowEA is right, Ocarina of Time is one of the best video games ever made and the best in the series. The Zelda series has always been my favorite video game franchise (along with Metroid.) All of the 3D Zelda console games are fantastic. Wind Waker, Majora's Mask Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess-- all awesome. That's how I'd rank the series from OoT on, anyway. I don't know where I'd put the earlier ones, honestly. The only one I remember playing is Link to the Past on an emulator. Also, Zuben, the cartoon aesthetic definitely looks better when they go full cartoon, like Wind Waker. I'm sure this will be a great game (but I'm not buying a switch, so whatever) but it looks like a Jean salvia trip.

I agree Ocarina is best in series, but I wonder how much of that was due to the jump to 3D making it easier to tell an immersive story. I don't think you could argue the gameplay is superior. Ocarina drew so heavily from SNES' "A Link to the Past" that you could almost consider it the 3D remake of that game.

The jump to 3D changed the combat mechanics so drastically that I can see why Zuben felt it wasn't really "Zelda" anymore, but I don't think you could argue it was better or worse. That said, one thing the old 2D games are clearly better with is game difficulty. I was able to beat Ocarina without getting additional heart containers or upgrading them, and I wouldn't be surprised if I could do the same with all the other 3D titles.
Jan 28, 2017 1:11 PM
0 0
Meow
SpasticNed
PaquitoMan, I really want to play the newest Zelda, but there's a good chance I'd effectively be spending hundreds of dollars just for that one game. Maybe I'll borrow someone's unused Wii-U, there are a ton of those.

I didn't even realize their system-mover title was also being released with the same content(downgraded graphics and sound, but that's it) on the wii-u. crazy strategy.

They did the same thing with Twilight Princess, too. Fun fact: Link is left handed. When they developed the Wii version it didn't match the way you use the motion controls, so to save time, they flipped the entire game for the port.

One crucial difference is they're actually releasing the new Zelda at launch, instead of retardedly delaying it a few months after launch, as they did with the Wii-U/Twilight Princess. I'm pretty confident that'll encourage Nintendo's loyal base to pick up the Switch much faster than they picked up the Wii-U.
Jan 28, 2017 1:15 PM
0 0
Nintendo Switch review: Meet the Game Boy Entertainment System

tl;dr; Great potential as a powerful handheld, lackluster as a home console, not a great software lineup at launch aside from Zelda. The home console situation is pretty bad given a bug that has one of the controllers disconnect sporadically when separated from the console by 10ft or so.

I think I'll get one to use as a handheld when the price drops and more games come out.
Mar 1, 2017 5:29 PM
0 0
Shit, this reminds me that I bought a Wii in 2013 and still have it at my parents' house. I should bring that to my house. Can anyone recommend me Wii games? Yes, I know there's plenty of lists online, but come on. Come on, guys. I can't necessarily go by those. They'd have to be games I can play without investing a lot of time in them, as much as I'd like to play long RPGs.
Mar 8, 2017 9:45 PM
0 0
Waiting for the post-release furor to die down before I pick one up. I've already played Zelda on my brother's Switch and it's pretty spectacular, but I'll be needing one for myself to truly immerse.
Mar 19, 2017 3:36 PM
0 0
Bought a Switch over the weekend, along with Zelda & Mario Kart. I haven't even hooked it up yet. :| This is how dedicated a gamer I am. I'll probably connect it within the week and give 'er a go.
Jul 11, 2017 3:47 PM
0 0
At this point, this is clear win for Nintendo. While ports of new XBox and Playstation games won't be common because of it's lower specs, I think third-parties will try to make Scratch exclusives to take advantage of that user base.
Jul 12, 2017 3:22 AM
0 0
PaquitoAt this point, this is clear win for Nintendo. While ports of new XBox and Playstation games won't be common because of it's lower specs, I think third-parties will try to make Scratch exclusives to take advantage of that user base.

First of all it's called Switch. And second of all that kind of logic didn't work very well for the Wii-U. So I think the real reason it's so popular is because it's a portable gaming device with almost modern graphics and has the ability to easily hook up to your television.
Jul 12, 2017 3:31 AM
0 0
Detrimental
PaquitoAt this point, this is clear win for Nintendo. While ports of new XBox and Playstation games won't be common because of it's lower specs, I think third-parties will try to make Scratch exclusives to take advantage of that user base.

First of all it's called Switch. And second of all that kind of logic didn't work very well for the Wii-U. So I think the real reason it's so popular is because it's a portable gaming device with almost modern graphics and has the ability to easily hook up to your television.

lol. Re: "Scratch", I was stoned. And I wasn't talking about why it is popular with users, I was talking about why its users make up an attractive market for 3rd parties.

To be clear, the reason the Switch's user-base is attractive is because it's large, and seems to be actively using the device. That wasn't the case for the Wii-U.
Jul 12, 2017 10:30 AM
0 0
I've just finished the main quest in Zelda and now doing loads of missed bits, like shrine hunting. I don't care if this is the only game I ever play on this system, it was well worth it.

Jul 12, 2017 11:35 AM
0 0
I want to play this and the new Mario too. I don't want to buy a new system though, so alas...
Jul 12, 2017 4:12 PM
0 0
King Elessar 8I want to play this and the new Mario too. I don't want to buy a new system though, so alas...

I want to buy the new system but I can't find it. I think it's bullshit that briggm and Det have one and I don't.
Jul 13, 2017 2:30 AM
0 0
Uh I don't have one. But it would be pretty easy for me to get one, I saw a couple in my local Gamestop the other day.
Jul 13, 2017 3:18 AM
0 0
DetrimentalUh I don't have one. But it would be pretty easy for me to get one, I saw a couple in my local Gamestop the other day.

Go to hell.
Jul 13, 2017 3:19 AM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair
DetrimentalUh I don't have one. But it would be pretty easy for me to get one, I saw a couple in my local Gamestop the other day.

Go to hell.

I'll tell you this though. From the little i've played of it, this might be the greatest Zelda game i've every played. Sucks to be you I guess.
Jul 13, 2017 3:35 AM
0 0
Detrimental
Infinitus Corsair

Go to hell.

I'll tell you this though. From the little i've played of it, this might be the greatest Zelda game i've every played. Sucks to be you I guess.

I will say rude things at your funeral, Det.
Jul 13, 2017 3:36 AM
0 0
So far, I like, but don't love, the new Zelda. I'd put it on a tier below ALTTP, OoT, and Majora's Mask. It's gorgeous and the general mood and feel is really compelling, but the need to constantly gather & cook food and, especially, replace weapons & armor is pure burden, with nothing "fun" about it. I also think the shrines are neat little puzzles, but I miss the big dungeons of the best Zelda games, and all they entailed. Its a mixed bag, imo.
Jul 13, 2017 3:50 AM
0 0
But the physics! Nim. The physics!
Jul 13, 2017 3:56 AM
0 0
DetrimentalBut the physics! Nim. The physics!

This is a game everyone will award GoY to and tell everyone that it's one of the best games ever, but deep down they don't really believe it.

It's fine. I also have Mario Kart on the Switch. That's also fine. I'm waiting until Mario Odyssey to see if I've wasted my money on a new system. Of course maybe there will be a Metroid at some point to make me snizz my troubles away.
Jul 13, 2017 4:00 AM
0 0