Everything You Watch This Year - 2017

ej
"Since", since it's an ambiguous word, should definitely be avoided in formal/academic writing, if only because confusion should be forestalled regardless of how fleetingly a reader might be disoriented. But how in the world do you avoid it in casual conversation? It's an efficient word. Who wants to bother with a workaround for something like "Well, since you're here, you might as well get comfortable"?

fwiw, and not to defend its usage with this obvious point, "since" in the sense of "because" derives from the temporal usage of the word (e.g., "I've been rather despondent since WayneHughes lost his RT password." )
May 11, 2017 11:05 AM
0 0
Guardians 2:

Fun as I could expect it to be. Was proud of Yondu. The fact that I related most to Nebula more than any other character just reminds me more and more of how unloved I have been. Waaah!
May 11, 2017 8:50 PM
0 0
Rooby, this is the grammar thread now.
May 11, 2017 8:56 PM
0 0
I enjoyed rewatching Rogue One quite a bit.The sound on the Blu-ray is absolutely superb. Real benchmark stuff, with deep, very realistic bass impact.
May 18, 2017 12:23 PM
0 0
Here's the alternative ending for Get Out.

Uh, spoilers, obviously. The ending Peele actually included is better, I think.
May 18, 2017 6:03 PM
0 0
Network (1976) - 95

YOU HAVE MEDDLED WITH THE PRIMARY FORCES OF NATURE, MR. BEALE, AND I WON'T HAVE IT!

^
One of the reasons the 70's is the greatest decade of American cinema.
May 19, 2017 4:11 PM
0 0
MeowHere's the alternative ending for Get Out.

Uh, spoilers, obviously. The ending Peele actually included is better, I think.

Agreed. I think that alternate cut is pretty good, too, but certainly a different kind of emotional takeaway and less subversive in its own way. (and obvs less entertaining)
May 19, 2017 4:37 PM
0 0
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - 95

This might become my most watched movie of the 10's. Probably already is.
May 20, 2017 8:41 PM
0 0
JeanMad Max: Fury Road (2015) - 95

What is there to rewatch? Some stock characters go to a place, turn around, and come back. Riveting.
May 20, 2017 9:51 PM
0 0
NimChimpsky

What is there to rewatch? Some stock characters go to a place, turn around, and come back. Riveting.

Spoilers.
May 20, 2017 11:07 PM
0 0
chunkylover
NimChimpsky

Spoilers.

Kinda spoiled the whole movie.
May 20, 2017 11:11 PM
0 0
Room 237 2/5 stars

My biggest problem with this film is that too many of the people who are analyzing The Shining assign intent to Kubrick on nearly every frame. I'd be a lot more positive if they just talked about their own interpretation of its symbolism. In a way, Kubrick is the perfect director to go over-the-top with this sort of speculation, since he was obsessive about detail. But even in their dozens (possibly hundreds) of repeat viewings, the narrators don't often find consistency in their own viewpoints. They're all over the fucking place.

I found it interesting to a point since I love Kubrick and really like The Shining, but found myself rolling my eyes far too often.
May 21, 2017 8:59 PM
0 0
I had a similar reaction to Room 237 at first, but I came to realize that the absurdity of the theories was kind of the point. I was looking forward to hearing some persuasive interpretations of the film but it became clear pretty quickly that none of the theories are gonna make a whole lot of sense. I think you were supposed to enjoy the film for the silliness and insanity of some of the theories these people were trotting with full confidence and admire The Shining for it's ability to inspire such assured nonsense. I mean, when the one dude is talking about how you can see faces in the clouds, and they show the clouds which are clearly just clouds and nothing more, you're definitely supposed to find it comical.
May 21, 2017 10:07 PM
0 0
BigwigRoom 237 2/5 stars

My biggest problem with this film is that too many of the people who are analyzing The Shining assign intent to Kubrick on nearly every frame. I'd be a lot more positive if they just talked about their own interpretation of its symbolism. In a way, Kubrick is the perfect director to go over-the-top with this sort of speculation, since he was obsessive about detail. But even in their dozens (possibly hundreds) of repeat viewings, the narrators don't often find consistency in their own viewpoints. They're all over the fucking place.

I found it interesting to a point since I love Kubrick and really like The Shining, but found myself rolling my eyes far too often.

Terrible reading. The film isn't about The Shining any more than Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control is about hairless moles.

I agree it's not very good, though.
May 21, 2017 10:38 PM
0 0
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) - 75

The first sequence of the movie (which is great, btw) is a prime example of why this series works. It's more interested in the characters and the humor than it is the big set pieces, and it knows how to mine both for maximum entertainment value.?
May 21, 2017 10:58 PM
0 0
NimChimpsky
BigwigRoom 237 2/5 stars

Terrible reading.?

That was a brief review I wrote, not my "reading" of the film. But whatever, dude.
May 22, 2017 12:11 AM
0 0
chunkyloverI had a similar reaction to Room 237 at first, but I came to realize that the absurdity of the theories was kind of the point. I was looking forward to hearing some persuasive interpretations of the film but it became clear pretty quickly that none of the theories are gonna make a while lot of sense. I think you were supposed to enjoy the film for the silliness and insanity of some of the theories these people were trotting with full confidence and admire The Shining for it's ability to inspire such assured nonsense. I mean, when the one dude is talking about how you can see faces in the clouds, and they show the clouds which are clearly just clouds and nothing more, you're definitely supposed to find it comical.

Oh, the cloud thing was my favorite. What actually made me laugh though was I caught myself squinting and staring trying to see Kubrick's face.
May 22, 2017 12:13 AM
0 0
Also, I see chunky said the same thing as Nim. To be clear, I knew that about Room 237 before I even watched the film. I was simply explaining why I didn't like it. The premise is excellent but because so much was completely outlandish I felt that I was in group therapy instead of watching a film about obsessive fans. The parts I actually did enjoy are the tame portions of the various theories, or discussions about film making in general. The insanity of the theories is why I gave it 2/5 stars.
May 22, 2017 12:32 AM
0 0
The shitty thing about Room 237 is that it treats each of the theories with the same weight, as if the "history of the American West" reading is just as wacky as the moon landing theory. The "American West" is a solid interpretation of the film. Ultimately, Room 237 does a disservice to film theory.
May 22, 2017 2:40 AM
0 0
I see Nim is letting us know again that he doesn't care for Fury Road.
May 22, 2017 2:52 AM
0 0