Everything You Watch This Year - 2017

theVictorianGreen Room is one of the very few movies that's had me literally squirming with tension in recent years. Holy shit.

Yeah, this movie was pretty awesome. I kinda need to see Blue Ruin now.
Apr 26, 2017 2:24 PM
0 0
neumdaddy
theVictorianGreen Room is one of the very few movies that's had me literally squirming with tension in recent years. Holy shit.

I highly recommend it. It's like Death Wish except the protagonist has no clue how to be Charles Bronson.
Apr 26, 2017 2:32 PM
0 0
wirthling
neumdaddy

I highly recommend it. It's like Death Wish except the protagonist has no clue how to be Charles Bronson.

Yeah, it's really good too.
Apr 26, 2017 11:49 PM
0 0
neumdaddy

Follow that up with Purple Rain and Red Dawn.
Apr 26, 2017 11:57 PM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair
neumdaddy

Boooo
Apr 27, 2017 12:01 AM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair
neumdaddy

I just assumed his next movie would be titled something like Red Light.
Apr 28, 2017 2:41 AM
0 0
Though Murder Party is on Shudder.
Or, at least, was.
Apr 28, 2017 2:42 AM
0 0
Stalker is good, but long. This is my second Strugasky brothers-inspired movie, and I have a pet theory about these 3-hour Russian slogs that involves patience developed in a society with queues for toilet paper. The Curzon Artificial Eye Blu-ray is pretty poor and can barely be said to be "restored" in any fashion, with crackly audio and a pretty muddy picture. Criterion's releasing a version soon, so I'm curious as to what can be done.
Apr 29, 2017 2:01 PM
0 0
Train to Busan is a decent Korean zombie flick. The characters are one-dimensional and the politics brought into it are simplistic and dumb, but the suspense is great.

It's available on Netflix.
Apr 30, 2017 3:26 PM
0 0
wirthlingTrain to Busan is a decent Korean zombie flick. The characters are one-dimensional and the politics brought into it are simplistic and dumb, but the suspense is great.

For the first third of this movie I thought it was one of the best zombie movies I'd seen, but before long it gets bogged down by a number of fairly significant shortcomings. One is that the passengers finally move through zombie infested areas of the train and it seems surprisingly easy to do so. Another is that the movie starts doleing out cheap sentiment with one hand and platitudes about putting the well being of others before yourself with the other. Like stomach churning and unearned sentiment with really on the nose "message" moments. It ruined what was a really well put together premise.
Apr 30, 2017 6:09 PM
0 0
Zuben
wirthlingTrain to Busan is a decent Korean zombie flick. The characters are one-dimensional and the politics brought into it are simplistic and dumb, but the suspense is great.

For the first third of this movie I thought it was one of the best zombie movies I'd seen, but before long it gets bogged down by a number of fairly significant shortcomings. One is that the passengers finally move through zombie infested areas of the train and it seems surprisingly easy to do so. Another is that the movie starts doleing out cheap sentiment with one hand and platitudes about putting the well being of others before yourself with the other. Like stomach churning and unearned sentiment with really on the nose "message" moments. It ruined what was a really well put together premise.

I laughed at that granny sisters moment near the end. But then that scene with the train engine dragging a horde of zombies kinda made up for it.
Apr 30, 2017 7:38 PM
0 0
wirthling
Zuben

I laughed at that granny sisters moment near the end. But then that scene with the train engine dragging a horde of zombies kinda made up for it.

Spoiler: What could have been easily mined material for genuine emotional punch was the father sacrificing himself for his kid, but the overwrought music and dramatic slow mo effecting made i
dt cringe worthy instead.?
Apr 30, 2017 7:55 PM
0 0
I liked the little girl, and I thought the purity in her performance, contrasted with the more melodramatic histrionics of the adults, helped to dampen the more soapy tendencies of the ending. I thought her song at the end was actually very affecting. I might be a softie.
Apr 30, 2017 9:42 PM
0 0
Has anyone here seen Silence? I kind of want to know if it's worth the money to stream it.
May 1, 2017 12:45 AM
0 0
DetrimentalHas anyone here seen Silence? I kind of want to know if it's worth the money to stream it.

Yes. It's long and dour but great.
May 1, 2017 1:05 AM
0 0
Get Out is a really impressive film. I was not expecting it to be as effective a horror as it was. I didn't have a problem with the broad humour, but I do wonder what the movie would have been like without it. Allison Williams in underpants is rather pleasing.
May 1, 2017 11:44 AM
0 0
While feeling unwell and wanting to watch a mindless horror film, I ended up watching Afflicted. It's basically Chronicle but with vampires. The FX are good for a low-budget film (there is a scene of a guy falling several stories and splatting on a sidewalk that I'm really curious to know how they did) and it has some decently creepy scenes, but there isn't a lot else to it. It felt more like a student project than a fully realized film. Still, maybe worth a watch if you can keep your expectations low and you like the found-footage genre.
May 1, 2017 2:03 PM
0 0
DetrimentalHas anyone here seen Silence? I kind of want to know if it's worth the money to stream it.

I haven't seen it but I have heard from people whose thoughts in film I respect (meaning, people besides Jean) say that's it is great. I have a 20gig version downloaded to watch on my new 4k tv that my mother bought me. MOTHER!
May 1, 2017 2:07 PM
0 0
Maybe it's just my depression and misanthropy coming through but I found it hard to like Everybody Wants Some. I get that it's a snapshot of guys on the cusp of adulthood figuring out who they are and it works on that level, but I got the feeling I was supposed to find most of these guys likable and I just couldn't. It probably doesn't help that most of them are jock types whose priorities (winning, high quantity of pussy, shirking responsibility) have never been mine, and I foresee them growing into the kind of adults who ruin the world with persistent attachment to those priorities. I dunno, maybe it would have worked better for me if I were baked.
May 1, 2017 2:22 PM
0 0

Ignore Jean. It's great.

wirthlingMaybe it's just my depression and misanthropy coming through but I found it hard to like Everybody Wants Some. I get that it's a snapshot of guys on the cusp of adulthood figuring out who they are and it works on that level, but I got the feeling I was supposed to find most of these guys likable and I just couldn't. It probably doesn't help that most of them are jock types whose priorities (winning, high quantity of pussy, shirking responsibility) have never been mine, and I foresee them growing into the kind of adults who ruin the world with persistent attachment to those priorities. I dunno, maybe it would have worked better for me if I were baked.

I thought that movie was pretty damn good, but I do feel like I share this affinity for prosaic nostalgia that Linklater seems to dig. And yeah, I think you were supposed to find most of those guys likeable because they're generally good-natured and enjoying the college experience (that's our prime reference point) in ways that aren't unfamiliar or dissimilar from either your own experiences or things you've read / heard about pretty consistently. Also, I think you're badly misreading a lot of those characters if you think many will "grow into the kinds of adults who ruin the world," etc. by clinging to those priorities.
May 1, 2017 2:44 PM
0 0