Everything You Watch This Year - 2017

Viewing Logan was bittersweet because I couldn't help but wonder how much stronger the series might be if they'd let somebody strike this tone from the get go. It's better than I expected even after all the good reviews, and it's actually fairly clever. It also manages to be a good movie the whole way through. I sort of liked the second Wolverine movie, and then the third act happened. Realizing that Logan was almost over and running out of time to ruin itself was pretty pleasing.
Mar 12, 2017 9:05 PM
0 0
DefaultViewing Logan was bittersweet because I couldn't help but wonder how much stronger the series might be if they'd let somebody strike this tone from the get go. It's better than I expected even after all the good reviews, and it's actually fairly clever. It also manages to be a good movie the whole way through. I sort of liked the second Wolverine movie, and then the third act happened. Realizing that Logan was almost over and running out of time to ruin itself was pretty pleasing.

It's the sort of thing where the long history of the series and specifically of Jackman as Wolverine lends the tenor of this movie weight but you have [to] not think about how half of that material is seriously butt.

[This post has been edited to appease Detrimental]
Mar 13, 2017 3:30 AM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair
DefaultViewing Logan was bittersweet because I couldn't help but wonder how much stronger the series might be if they'd let somebody strike this tone from the get go. It's better than I expected even after all the good reviews, and it's actually fairly clever. It also manages to be a good movie the whole way through. I sort of liked the second Wolverine movie, and then the third act happened. Realizing that Logan was almost over and running out of time to ruin itself was pretty pleasing.

It's the sort of thing where the long history of the series and specifically of Jackman as Wolverine lends the tenor of this movie weight but you have not think about how half of that material is seriously butt.

So what? You think Logan sucked?
Mar 13, 2017 3:47 AM
0 0
Moonlight was pretty good, but I don't think there was enough there for a fully fleshed out film. Thought it was going to be great from the beginning but ended kind of meh. Whatever. I still haven't seen La La Land so I don't know if it was robbed or not. Great cinematography though.
Mar 13, 2017 3:52 AM
0 0
Detrimental
Infinitus Corsair

It's the sort of thing where the long history of the series and specifically of Jackman as Wolverine lends the tenor of this movie weight but you have not think about how half of that material is seriously butt.

:|
Mar 13, 2017 4:04 AM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair
Detrimental
Infinitus Corsair

:|

You worded that sentence weird so I don't know if you think Logan sucked or half of the X-men films sucked. The latter is true either way but... look I just want to know if Logan sucked or not. Please respond.
Mar 13, 2017 4:07 AM
0 0
I think IC is saying that Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine over the years is part of what makes this movie so good, even though the character has been part of some crappy stuff along the way.

I was actually trying to distinguish between the Wolverine and X-Men films. I can see why a mainline X-Men film would never have adopted this style, but I think it could have worked with Wolverine from the beginning. I've never really read the X-Men comics, but it's my understanding that there is a lot of material to work with as far as side stories for that character.
Mar 13, 2017 12:53 PM
0 0
I watched the remastered 4K version of Suspiria with a friend who is a huge fan and has seen it loads of times. I had watched it before but didn't remember too much of it. It's barking mad, woodenly acted, embarrassingly scripted, incredibly stupid and nonsensical - and excellent fun. The restoration was gorgeous even though the projectionist at my cinema didn't enlarge the image to fill the screen. I believe this restoration will be available on Blu-ray via the Synapse label, so if you want to sex up your eyeballs this is the one to get. I will be replacing my copy.
Mar 13, 2017 10:51 PM
0 0
theVictorianI watched the remastered 4K version of Suspiria with a friend who is a huge fan and has seen it loads of times. I had watched it before but didn't remember too much of it. It's barking mad, woodenly acted, embarrassingly scripted, incredibly stupid and nonsensical - and excellent fun. The restoration was gorgeous even though the projectionist at my cinema didn't enlarge the image to fill the screen. I believe this restoration will be available on Blu-ray via the Synapse label, so if you want to sex up your eyeballs this is the one to get. I will be replacing my copy.

Oh shit, that sounds great. Nothing makes my skin crawl like the Suspiria razor wire scene.
Mar 13, 2017 10:54 PM
0 0
DefaultI think IC is saying that Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine over the years is part of what makes this movie so good, even though the character has been part of some crappy stuff along the way.

I was actually trying to distinguish between the Wolverine and X-Men films. I can see why a mainline X-Men film would never have adopted this style, but I think it could have worked with Wolverine from the beginning. I've never really read the X-Men comics, but it's my understanding that there is a lot of material to work with as far as side stories for that character.

Yes, thank you. There's enough material there to really ground a movie with an old, world-weary Logan.
As to your other, I think the original X-Men movie is about as low-key as you can get with the premise. Wolverine solo is more flexible, though. The story on which The Wolverine was based was much more down-to-earth than the movie we got and there's definitely lots of ways to do stories that are only vaguely super-heroish in ways that would never work for a group of people like Cyclops, Storm, and Nightcrawler.
Mar 14, 2017 12:48 AM
0 0
Cyclops just seems way to easy to take out.
Mar 14, 2017 12:50 AM
0 0
I hated X-Men Apocalypse for several reasons (like how the antagonist's powers were never once defined, clearly or otherwise), but one of the things that bugged me the most was Wolverine's "cameo" or whatever. He is not invulnerable to bullets, he has insanely fast healing. That distinction is significant and it's erasure in his breif moments on screen didn't seem true to the ethos of the character at all.
Mar 14, 2017 12:54 AM
0 0
Logan was fine but definitely a let down after all the hype. The shit with the farm family was really contrived and dumb. And they kept stopping even though every time they stopped they got caught and nearly killed. Also, the nurse had an absurd amount of footage of that evil lab which she also apparently edited together. Was she making a documentary about this place? The kid was good though.
Mar 14, 2017 3:36 AM
0 0
A coworker years ago recommended Eden of the East to me as an excellent anime.

It's mostly okay, and occasionally quite good. It's about a guy who appears in Washington DC, completely naked, with no idea of who he is and nothing but a phone that is loaded with money and a concierge that seems to fulfill his every wish. When he finds clues to the apartment he's been living in, it's filled with guns and passports. He then befriends a Japanese girl, heads back to Japan, and starts discovering more about the conspiracy he's tangled up in.

There's the germ of greatness in this show's concept. There are loads of good little ideas and details in it and the characters are fun, but it's also a bit too... anime for me. I say this as a big fan of some The pace and plotting are a bit too woolly even at only eleven short episodes. Stuff just seems to happen with no narrative thrust. I bought the set very cheaply and there are two movies still in it, so I'm going to watch them.
Mar 14, 2017 5:34 AM
0 0
I really liked Doctor Strange even if there was nothing much to it. Visually just lovely and a nice wit to proceedings. The sound on the Blu-ray is pretty amazing too.
Mar 14, 2017 12:02 PM
0 0
The Voices is something I saw the cover of and decided to investigate, and its mixed response got me curious.

It's one of those movies where I can completely see its flaws and why it'd garner a divided reaction, but I actually thought it was pretty decent. Ryan Reynolds plays a man with a psychosis whose cat and dog speak to him as he becomes a serial killer. He lives in a childlike state, in a pastel-hued world that feels destined to collapse for him at any moment. More of his past is unearthed throughout the film, and it explains his actions and increases your sympathy for him. It doesn't sugarcoat his violence at all. In fact, the violence is grisly as fuck. This is a dark, dark movie.

Where the movie will divide people is the overally cutesiness of the depiction of this sort of macabre material. But I think this is kind of the movie's strong point. It functions as an unreliable narrator. You're seeing the protagonist from his own perspective, and when the veil is occasionally lifted - by you either seeing him from others' perspectives or when he tries medication - the full bleakness of the story is revealed. I suppose you could call this trite, but style counts for a lot and this movie has it. I can also see how it could be annoying or possibly considered condescending, but that is a judgement call and I found it to be neither.

Visually it's great, and the surround sound really kicks in nicely with voices floating around the room.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it to everyone but I think if you enjoy trying something original and don't have some reflexive hatred for Reynolds then this is worth a try.
Mar 18, 2017 1:32 PM
0 0
I also thought Logan was pretty good with some very good parts. It all felt a bit telegraphed, I guess, with a remix of a story we keep seeing. But I totally agree that Jackman & Stewart did heavy lifting to give the movie a big boost. I did struggle a bit in having Professor X there and yet precious few references to the larger X-Men world. On one hand, the focus was necessary for a movie like this to be successful on the whole (and it was), but reconciling it with the rest of the X-Men films is a little harder, given how predictable the film was at times. It's meant to be referenced more to the Wolverine films, I believe, but Xavier's presence threw me off a little bit with that one (even though his character is always a net positive).

7.5/10
Mar 19, 2017 4:10 PM
0 0
I'm watching the first season if Iron Fist, and it's pretty ridiculous. The plot relies on the characters making consistently retarded decisions, especially the Iron Fist. This is probably the worst of all the Netflix MCU shows.
Mar 19, 2017 9:56 PM
0 0
I've finally binge-watched Bojack Horseman. It's a pretty fucked up and hilarious series. Like other dark comedy animated series where the main character has substance and emotional problems (Archer, Rick & Morty), but with more lasting consequence.
Mar 19, 2017 11:13 PM
0 0
Life is predictable garbage with a crap monster. Avoid.
Mar 22, 2017 11:31 AM
0 0