Everything You Watch This Year - 2017

Original Poster
I didn't even misspell the title.
Jan 1, 2017 1:28 AM
0 0
You put a goddamn dash in the title. IC will disapprove.
Jan 1, 2017 1:37 AM
0 0
neumdaddyIC will disapprove.

It's hard to imagine a circumstance in which this is not the case.
Jan 1, 2017 2:44 AM
0 0
ej
Let's get to watchin' stuff, bros! Let's do this!
Jan 1, 2017 10:41 AM
0 0
David Brent - Life on the Road 9/10

If you liked the original British version of The Office, you'll love this. Ricky Gervais is back in the title role, many years have passed and he decides to pursue his dream of being a rock star, cashing in his pensions, putting a band together and setting up gigs in hopes of getting a record deal. The songs are fantastic. Trailer.
Jan 1, 2017 4:09 PM
0 0
Just watched the Mariah Carey performance. What an inspiration.

If I could just karaoke, but without the karaoke part, I could get laid much more frequently.
Jan 2, 2017 1:13 AM
0 0
Silence - Would have benefitted by having someone other than Andrew Garfield in the lead role and the second act is a bit repetitive and drags at times, but it's still emotionally resonant, expertly made, and gorgeous to look at. 8/10
Jan 2, 2017 1:18 AM
0 0
My parents sent me Knysna as it's set in a small town we used to holiday in. Utterly, eye-rollingly formulaic Afrikaans rom-com, but kind of nice seeing the town again. It's weird watching a film in a language you understand with English subtitles that don't have the exact meaning you'd infer from the dialogue.
Jan 4, 2017 11:47 PM
0 0
I don't recall a lot (or any) talk about Swiss Army Man in last year's thread, so I want to put this out there. It feels like a solid resume-builder for the directorial team, and welcome, offbeat additions from its key actors. I've been a fan of Paul Dano since There Will be Blood, and Daniel Radcliffe has impressed me with a lot of his post-HP work. The film doesn't disappoint on performances, or its direction, but it's not a complete story.

It's a whimsical, sad (edit: pseudo-)story of a guy who never grew up and became best buds with his new dead bromantic partner. The movie is a ride, through pathways and canals, of self-discovery that wind up in front of the equivalent of a gas station convenience store run by methheads for an ending.

It's a moment of clarity between two major acts of a whole story that the these filmmakers probably can't concoct, and the last fifteen-or-so minutes of the movie strike me as an intentional "fuck you" to the entire industry. That's why I see it as a resume-builder for "the Daniels".

Whatever. Spike Jonze wasn't a master storyteller right out of the gate either. These guys seem to be advertising their skills with this title and probably have a good shot at getting a good writer on board for their next project. If this sort of thing interests you, check it out.
Jan 5, 2017 12:46 AM
0 0
Rooby RooI don't recall a lot (or any) talk about Swiss Army Man in last year's thread, so I want to put this out there. It feels like a solid resume-builder for the directorial team, and welcome, offbeat additions from its key actors. I've been a fan of Paul Dano since There Will be Blood, and Daniel Radcliffe has impressed me with a lot of his post-HP work. The film doesn't disappoint on performances, or its direction, but it's not a complete story.

It's a whimsical, sad (edit: pseudo-)story of a guy who never grew up and became best buds with his new dead bromantic partner. The movie is a ride, through pathways and canals, of self-discovery that wind up in front of the equivalent of a gas station convenience store run by methheads for an ending.

It's a moment of clarity between two major acts of a whole story that the these filmmakers probably can't concoct, and the last fifteen-or-so minutes of the movie strike me as an intentional "fuck you" to the entire industry. That's why I see it as a resume-builder for "the Daniels".

Whatever. Spike Jonze wasn't a master storyteller right out of the gate either. These guys seem to be advertising their skills with this title and probably have a good shot at getting a good writer on board for their next project. If this sort of thing interests you, check it out.

I've been wondering if this was going to be annoyingly twee or not, because the? premise is funny but the trailers I've seen have been a little cute.
Jan 5, 2017 2:55 AM
0 0
theVictorian
Rooby RooI don't recall a lot (or any) talk about Swiss Army Man in last year's thread, so I want to put this out there. It feels like a solid resume-builder for the directorial team, and welcome, offbeat additions from its key actors. I've been a fan of Paul Dano since There Will be Blood, and Daniel Radcliffe has impressed me with a lot of his post-HP work. The film doesn't disappoint on performances, or its direction, but it's not a complete story.

I've been wondering if this was going to be annoyingly twee or not, because the? premise is funny but the trailers I've seen have been a little cute.

I dunno what about this film would be considered as "twee". It takes what would normally be considered as throwaway dick and fart gags and makes them plot devices YET, it is not a vulgar story. The soundtrack uses a lot of cooperation from the actors. And the soundtrack is inventive, just like the screenplay. I get the impression that it was a very informal and fun production for just about everyone involved, and they poke a finger or two into the fourth wall along the way, if you pay attention to the lyrics. So I really do believe that the ending is a sincere, but innocent, "fuck you. Hire me, I'm good."
Jan 5, 2017 3:32 AM
0 0
I bought Midnight Special because there was a twofer-type sale on and I didn't want anything else in the shop's selection, and it had Michael Shannon, Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst, Sam Shepard and Adam Driver in it, and 84% on the Tomatometer. Other than that, I knew nothing beyond "supernatural thriller".

It's very good. Not brilliant, but it's a more-than-competent chase movie that keeps you wondering about its mysteries until it reveals all at the ending in a way that isn't bad but just sort of slightly lacklustre in the production design stakes. I found myself wanting a sequel because the premise was enjoyable. I found that knowing nothing made the movie more interesting, so if you enjoyed something like Close Encounters of the Third Kind with a hint of the X Files, then you might enjoy this. There are some terrifically envisioned moments that elevate it above similar material, but they are also surprises that I wouldn't want to spoil.

Lots of great directorial choices by Jeff Nichols, with a very specific sense of place and a very authentic feel to everything. If you have a decent sub, it'll let you know.
Jan 5, 2017 12:44 PM
0 0
Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) - 75

I get the sense that Mamet is not a big fan of salespeople. Or people in general? Great fuckin' cast, great fuckin' writing, though.

Jan 6, 2017 2:10 AM
0 0
JeanGlengarry Glen Ross (1992) - 75

I get the sense that Mamet is not a big fan of salespeople. Or people in general? Great fuckin' cast, great fuckin' writing, though.

A screenwriter giving Glengarry Glen Ross a 75. I mean just..

Seriously though that's a better a score than someone like you could've given it so w/e.
Jan 6, 2017 2:33 AM
0 0
Detrimental

Seriously though that's a better a score than someone like you could've given it so w/e.

Mamet is obviously a gifted writer, but the movie is ugly and abrasive. So it takes a hit on my personal enjoyment-o-meter.
Jan 6, 2017 2:50 AM
0 0
theVictorianI bought Midnight Special because there was a twofer-type sale on and I didn't want anything else in the shop's selection, and it had Michael Shannon, Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst, Sam Shepard and Adam Driver in it, and 84% on the Tomatometer. Other than that, I knew nothing beyond "supernatural thriller".

It's very good. Not brilliant, but it's a more-than-competent chase movie that keeps you wondering about its mysteries until it reveals all at the ending in a way that isn't bad but just sort of slightly lacklustre in the production design stakes. I found myself wanting a sequel because the premise was enjoyable. I found that knowing nothing made the movie more interesting, so if you enjoyed something like Close Encounters of the Third Kind with a hint of the X Files, then you might enjoy this. There are some terrifically envisioned moments that elevate it above similar material, but they are also surprises that I wouldn't want to spoil.

Lots of great directorial choices by Jeff Nichols, with a very specific sense of place and a very authentic feel to everything. If you have a decent sub, it'll let you know.

I re-watched this a second time, and was more impressed with it. It has a brilliant momentum buildup that does, unfortunately, promise more than it ends up delivering.

Jeff Nichols is legitimately gifted and he's going to make masterpiece movies one day (if he hasn't already with Take Shelter), but Midnight Special isn't it.

Michael Shannon may be the best actor in the world right now. Or it might be Adam Driver. In the AV Club's list of the Top 20 movies of 2016, Adam Driver is in three of them (Midnight Special, Paterson, and Silence).
Jan 6, 2017 4:16 AM
0 0
Moses
theVictorianI bought Midnight Special because there was a twofer-type sale on and I didn't want anything else in the shop's selection, and it had Michael Shannon, Joel Edgerton, Kirsten Dunst, Sam Shepard and Adam Driver in it, and 84% on the Tomatometer. Other than that, I knew nothing beyond "supernatural thriller".

I re-watched this a second time, and was more impressed with it. It has a brilliant momentum buildup that does, unfortunately, promise more than it ends up delivering.

Jeff Nichols is legitimately gifted and he's going to make masterpiece movies one day (if he hasn't already with Take Shelter), but Midnight Special isn't it.

Michael Shannon may be the best actor in the world right now. Or it might be Adam Driver. In the AV Club's list of the Top 20 movies of 2016, Adam Driver is in three of them (Midnight Special, Paterson, and Silence).

Shannon is amazingly good. And I hope he gets some more prominent roles that aren't villains.
Jan 6, 2017 4:26 AM
0 0
Things to Come is a French movie about French people in France. There are a few Germans but mostly everyone speaks French and wrestles with their place in life. I liked it.
Jan 6, 2017 4:59 AM
0 0
Jean
Detrimental

Mamet is obviously a gifted writer, but the movie is ugly and abrasive. So it takes a hit on my personal enjoyment-o-meter.

lol
Jan 6, 2017 5:26 AM
0 0
Basically any testosterone-soaked movie like Glengarry Glen Ross or [insert gangster movie here] where at least half the game is flopping your dick on the table faster than the other guy, I'm not going to love. Movies and TV made by Asians are mysteriously exempt from this rule.
Jan 6, 2017 7:00 AM
0 0