The thread in which we sift through the smoldering wreckage of the American experiment

Original Poster
The election is over. Clinton conceded.

I can't sleep.

I keep trying, but every time I try and close my eyes there's that burning fear in my gut of just what this means, both for the United States and the world. Recession, climate change rollback, the supreme court stacked with Scalia-like figures, the destruction of democratic norms, the embrace of an authoritarian strong man, an unstable imbecile facing foreign policy changes he knows nothing about, the legitimization of extreme right wing organizations and white nationalists, the alienation of large portions of the globe where large numbers of people are brown or Muslim or whatever other group Trump supporters view with such fear...

This is like a nightmare you can't wake up from.

But it's happening, and now we have to figure out what to do next, even if I don't see what we can do.
Nov 9, 2016 8:04 AM
0 0
Did we ever figure out who you are?
Nov 9, 2016 8:47 AM
0 0
Because partisan public opinion moves with the actions of the president, whatever Trump does is going to convince huge swathes of Republicans that it is the right thing to do. There is no reason to think Trump is going to get better than he was as a wealthy businessman without political power. If Trump tries to purge the civil service - which is the main barrier in many cases to horrible things you know he wants to do - Republican propaganda and Republican opinion is going to endorse that as a great idea.

There's going to be a whole lot of that Overton window shifting going on.
Nov 9, 2016 8:47 AM
0 0
whathaveicreatedDid we ever figure out who you are?

Turkish Delight/Ivan the Terrible, of course.

Like anyone new ever comes here now.
Nov 9, 2016 9:00 AM
0 0
Mr. Demiurge

Ha! Called it.
Nov 9, 2016 9:08 AM
0 0
theVictorian
Mr. Demiurge

Ha! Called it.

I can't imagine it was that hard to figure out. I stepped into chat tonight and Det's first question was 'Are you Ivan?'

But yeah, not really feeling up to playing 'guess who' at the moment.
Nov 9, 2016 9:10 AM
0 0
I have no idea what to do on a political level, but on a personal level, to deal with this, I am going to try to make lemonade out of this shit and am going to try to use this as the kick in the ass inspiration I need to stop sitting around waiting for life and the world to get better on its own, which is clearly not going to happen, and so starting today I am getting serious about making my own life better. Going to try sobriety as first step. I quit smoking the day before I separated from my ex-wife and I stuck with that. I can do this. And so maybe I can at least walk into the apocalypse feeling a bit less shitty about myself.
Nov 9, 2016 10:47 AM
0 0
One sprig of green sprouting from the rubble: Arpaio is finally out of office. I assume Trump will make him Secretary of Being the Worst but at least the people of Maricopa Country, Arizona, get a break on the local level from his shenanigans.
Nov 9, 2016 11:00 AM
1 0
wirthlingI assume Trump will make him Secretary of Being the Worst

Actually, I guess filling that spot's going to be a tough call. So many qualified candidates.
Nov 9, 2016 11:03 AM
0 0
wirthlingI have no idea what to do on a political level, but on a personal level, to deal with this, I am going to try to make lemonade out of this shit and am going to try to use this as the kick in the ass inspiration I need to stop sitting around waiting for life and the world to get better on its own, which is clearly not going to happen, and so starting today I am getting serious about making my own life better. Going to try sobriety as first step. I quit smoking the day before I separated from my ex-wife and I stuck with that. I can do this. And so maybe I can at least walk into the apocalypse feeling a bit less shitty about myself.

We've reached very similar conclusions. I don't feel like there's anything I can really do about the state of the country or the world, so I'll focus on improving myself: more exercise, better eating, more focus on projects I'm working on and so forth. It will also allow me to keep my mind off things I have no control over.

Also, still can't sleep. Took a shower instead.
Nov 9, 2016 11:06 AM
0 0
ej
That's the right attitude, guys. Grab the world by the pussy.
Nov 9, 2016 11:18 AM
0 0
Nov 9, 2016 12:03 PM
0 0
Remember right after Obama was elected how the right-wing media immediately credited the recession to Obama with labels like "the Obama recession?"?

We've had a good run recently on the economy. The right-wing media is going to immediately start calling that the Trump recovery. Enjoy swallowing that pill. I can picture the misleading infographics on Fox News already.

On a personal note, it has gradually dawned on me that these election results likely will choke off the financial infrastructure that underlies my job and this is probably a personal financial catastrophe for me. So even the personal rays of hope others are going with is pretty dark from where I sit.
Nov 9, 2016 1:33 PM
0 0
wirthlingI have no idea what to do on a political level, but on a personal level, to deal with this, I am going to try to make lemonade out of this shit and am going to try to use this as the kick in the ass inspiration I need to stop sitting around waiting for life and the world to get better on its own, which is clearly not going to happen, and so starting today I am getting serious about making my own life better. Going to try sobriety as first step. I quit smoking the day before I separated from my ex-wife and I stuck with that. I can do this. And so maybe I can at least walk into the apocalypse feeling a bit less shitty about myself.

For this...I love you.

Regarding sobriety, I came from rock fuckin' bottom, so I'm not sure how biased I am in saying this, but...Sobriety has been awesome!!! I highly recommend it for some. (Booze seems to be doing OK.) ...Actually, you seem to be doing OK, too. Maybe Booze needs help!

And again, thank you.
Nov 9, 2016 2:06 PM
0 0
Esoteric AllusionSo even the personal rays of hope others are going with is pretty dark from where I sit.

Dammit.

One silver lining. Maybe they'll get a decent artist to design the "race traitor" tattoos for the sane and reasonable white people.
Nov 9, 2016 2:10 PM
0 0
Esoteric AllusionOn a personal note, it has gradually dawned on me that these election results likely will choke off the financial infrastructure that underlies my job and this is probably a personal financial catastrophe for me. So even the personal rays of hope others are going with is pretty dark from where I sit.

I have personal problems with depression and anxiety that I had been coping with recently much better than I have in the past. Now I can feel those demons stirring again as I contemplate the enormity of what all of this means, both for the world at large and likely for each of us individually as Americans.

It's going to be a hard road ahead for all of us.

And no, no sleep yet.
Nov 9, 2016 2:17 PM
0 0
There are some slivers of hope to hang onto...

1. Despite this setback, diversity and acceptance of it are still on the rise on average.
2. Many Republicans repudiated Trump, meaning some in the party do have a conscience and so they could play a role in mitigating disaster.
3. There are bajillions of meteors out there in our solar system.
Nov 9, 2016 2:40 PM
0 0
4. This is not boring!

ETA: OK, more of a silver lining than a sliver of hope.
Nov 9, 2016 2:42 PM
0 0
5. Trump is obviously unreliable and remorseless about it. It is possible he will renege on every single thing he ever promised.
Nov 9, 2016 2:44 PM
0 0
Yes, ej, I just called Trump a re-'n-word'.
Nov 9, 2016 2:46 PM
0 0