PEW! PEW! PEW! The Video Game Thread!

Richard Guy
Wooley
Richard Guy
Wooley
Ned FlandersI think recently I've come to the realization that I just don't like RPG games. And it's not just one game either it's basically the genre as a whole. I found Witcher 3 confusing and repetitive, Skyrim bored me out of my mind, Fallout 4 was a chore to finish, I'm barely enjoying the Mass Effect games. It's strange because I really wanted to love all these games but I just couldn't bring myself to do so. And it's not like it's the repetitive nature of the gameplay in all these games because some of my favorite games are extremely repetitive (Counter Strike for example). I can't put my finger on why I don't like them either. The idea of a world where you're free to be who you want and do what you feel is fascinating to me and all these games attempt that to some extent but it just isn't enough to interest me. It's strange because people pump dozens and dozens of hours into TW3 but I feel like I'm perfectly content and almost bored of it at only 16 hours playtime, maybe even less (I leave games on pause when I eat sometimes).

It's a strange realization to come to but I guess I can stop wasting my money on these games I don't really like.

Interesting, but I can totally see it. They give me great pleasure, whereas pure shooters (except Doom), pure puzzle games, etc., just bore me to tears. Different strokes.
I personally don't find anything more interesting than exploring a world and building a character and making a hero. The games you name, Fallout, Mass Effect, Skyrim, they give me great, great pleasure, a real escape from this grim, repetitive world that doesn't have any room or opportunity for heroes, and an opportunity to transcend the realities of the ethical failings of society.
The Witcher 3, on the other hand, was almost impossibly boring and I'm not sorry at all that I just abandoned it and will never restart it. Just a painfully dull game with way too much management required and bad combat mechanics.

The Witcher 3 is one of the most overrated and overhyped games to ever be released. Seriously, I just could not care for any of it.

And it may sound like a strange complaint, but there's just TOO much to do. I like when there's enough things to keep you busy, but at least make it feel needed or rewarding to the main narrative of the game. The Witcher 3 sidetracks you so many times that you can't help but feel frustrated because you just want to finish the main story and see the conclusion to the narrative that was opened up in the beginning.

EDIT: I checked my playtime and I sunk around 40 hours and only completed like 12% of the main story. Didn't even leave the first map yet. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

Your last point, especially, is very interesting to me, is the scope-race, meaning the competition between developers to deliver a bigger and bigger world, actually undermining the experience of playing the games? Certainly No Man's Sky would say, "yes".

It is most certainly a trend that is on the rise in single-player titles. Most recently being Andromeda, with actually embracing an open-world setting in multiple planets (and opening to a universally mixed reception). Almost exactly the way Dragon Age: Inquisition is structured. I would say that it seems that developers are keen on padding a game out if it's only single-player with the sole purpose of making it hundreds of hours long to fully complete. This is all due to reviewers and gamers alike taking a deeply rooted stance against games that take a small amount of time to complete single-player.

Thus the obvious and easiest solution to developers is to develop their next game as open-world that guarantees a whopping 200 hour completion rate for a full playthrough (this is of course a hyperbolic statement, but you get the gist of it) because they are able to pad out the game's main and actual narrative with separate stories that ultimately mean nothing in the grand scheme of things other than giving the player XP and loot to be able to continue the main story. I mean it's fine if people like it and they feel it "fleshes" the world out, but in certain cases it's just too much. I mean come on, 40 hours and I have yet to progress in any meaningful way in the main narrative of the game? By the time I get around to moving a step further I'll have forgotten so many details from the actual narrative that I should have remembered, but instead I remember having to cook potions up for some dying widow or something along those lines with a quest that took hours to complete because of so many twists and turns.

Gets on my nerves at least. Got no time for that son.

I think Fallout 4 is one of the worst offenders for this. I tried to do the main story as fast as I could and I beat it in roughly 20 hours. However one of my more completionist friends is actually trying to do all the sidequests and he's already 100 hours in easily. Thing is, I keep asking him if he's actually having fun doing it and he keeps telling me he really isn't. I would much much rather have a game with a good 20 hour long story and 30 or 40 hours of decent sidequests than a game with a decent 20 hours story but 100 hours of sucky side missions. Hell, I'd rather have a game like The Last Of Us which took me 14 hours but was really quite good than a game like Fallout 4.
Apr 17, 2017 7:54 AM
0 0
Excellent conversation happening here regarding RPG's and the length of games in general. Glad to see it.

I agree with Wooley that I love a good RPG, especially one with a world that I can explore and get lost in. After I finished up with Skyrim on the PS3, all I wanted was another game just like that but there wasn't one to be found. I was one happy camper when Skyrim got released on the PS4, especially now that load times aren't a factor anymore. Now all's I need is a remaster of New Vegas.

It's funny to me that Dragon Age: Inquisition gets so much hate in the gaming world, as it's the game I've played the most in recent years. I played halfway through the PS3 version, got a PS4 so I did a playthrough as a Qunari Mage on the PS4. Then I did an Elven Rogue Archer Assassin a few months later. I just grabbed all of the DLC recently for cheap so I restarted another playthrough as a Human, but keeping the Rogue Archer Assassin. I just really love this game. Of course, I don't participate in a lot of the collectible hunting or extraneous bullshit. I just stick to the main quests, side stuff, and exploring. I've never had to go out of my way to gain Power to progress the story, so I've never gotten the complaints over grinding.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is a great game but I haven't finished it. The gameplay loop is wearing on me. The constant gathering of resources for health, arrows, etc., only to fight more robots, only to gather more resources to replenish what you just expended during your last fight, only to fight more robots, etc. It's gotten tiresome. I really want to see how the story plays out, but I'm just taking it in fits and starts.

This thread is one of the first that I've seen people really laying into Witcher 3. It's kind of refreshing to see since over on NeoGAF it's basically treated as the game of all time. Here's the thing: I enjoy the game -- to a point. I enjoyed the DLC stories -- to a point. The main game and both DLC packs all overstay their welcome, and I'm not talking about side quest stuff. I mean the actual stories drag on with so many diversions that you lose sight of the plot. Did I need to help write a freakin' play in the main game? 'Blood and Wine' took a great story about Vampires and then threw me into some sort of fantasy fairy tale land right when I thought the story was wrapping up. Turns out that I was still a good bit away from the true ending, so I shut it off. I'd had enough. The same thing happened in Fallout 4. At some point I just wanted the story to be done. I'll still hang out in the world afterwards, but the story has to wrap itself up. And don't get me started on Uncharted 4, the neverending game.
Apr 17, 2017 1:03 PM
0 0
Richard Guy
Wooley
Ned FlandersI think recently I've come to the realization that I just don't like RPG games. And it's not just one game either it's basically the genre as a whole. I found Witcher 3 confusing and repetitive, Skyrim bored me out of my mind, Fallout 4 was a chore to finish, I'm barely enjoying the Mass Effect games. It's strange because I really wanted to love all these games but I just couldn't bring myself to do so. And it's not like it's the repetitive nature of the gameplay in all these games because some of my favorite games are extremely repetitive (Counter Strike for example). I can't put my finger on why I don't like them either. The idea of a world where you're free to be who you want and do what you feel is fascinating to me and all these games attempt that to some extent but it just isn't enough to interest me. It's strange because people pump dozens and dozens of hours into TW3 but I feel like I'm perfectly content and almost bored of it at only 16 hours playtime, maybe even less (I leave games on pause when I eat sometimes).

It's a strange realization to come to but I guess I can stop wasting my money on these games I don't really like.

Interesting, but I can totally see it. They give me great pleasure, whereas pure shooters (except Doom), pure puzzle games, etc., just bore me to tears. Different strokes.
I personally don't find anything more interesting than exploring a world and building a character and making a hero. The games you name, Fallout, Mass Effect, Skyrim, they give me great, great pleasure, a real escape from this grim, repetitive world that doesn't have any room or opportunity for heroes, and an opportunity to transcend the realities of the ethical failings of society.
The Witcher 3, on the other hand, was almost impossibly boring and I'm not sorry at all that I just abandoned it and will never restart it. Just a painfully dull game with way too much management required and bad combat mechanics.

The Witcher 3 is one of the most overrated and overhyped games to ever be released. Seriously, I just could not care for any of it.

And it may sound like a strange complaint, but there's just TOO much to do. I like when there's enough things to keep you busy, but at least make it feel needed or rewarding to the main narrative of the game. The Witcher 3 sidetracks you so many times that you can't help but feel frustrated because you just want to finish the main story and see the conclusion to the narrative that was opened up in the beginning.

EDIT: I checked my playtime and I sunk around 40 hours and only completed like 12% of the main story. Didn't even leave the first map yet. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

Yeah, I think that really was true of Witcher 3.
I actually generally enjoy that, my time with Fallout 3 and Oblivion was spent, I mean I don't exaggerate when I say that 60-70% of my time was spent wandering around, exploring the world, getting into random encounters, etc., and I absolutely LOVED it. But, to me, Witcher 3 just failed all over the place by somehow making the whole world seem so difficult, nothing about the game was smooth or had any real flow to it to me. And side-quests seemed to just take forever so that it became discouraging to not just follow the narrative as tightly as possible, but then that didn't flow so great either.
I found it really frustrating and I'm glad I didn't spend one more minute on it than I did.
Apr 17, 2017 2:04 PM
0 0
Richard Guy
Wooley
Richard Guy
Wooley

Your last point, especially, is very interesting to me, is the scope-race, meaning the competition between developers to deliver a bigger and bigger world, actually undermining the experience of playing the games? Certainly No Man's Sky would say, "yes".

It is most certainly a trend that is on the rise in single-player titles. Most recently being Andromeda, with actually embracing an open-world setting in multiple planets (and opening to a universally mixed reception). Almost exactly the way Dragon Age: Inquisition is structured. I would say that it seems that developers are keen on padding a game out if it's only single-player with the sole purpose of making it hundreds of hours long to fully complete. This is all due to reviewers and gamers alike taking a deeply rooted stance against games that take a small amount of time to complete single-player.

Thus the obvious and easiest solution to developers is to develop their next game as open-world that guarantees a whopping 200 hour completion rate for a full playthrough (this is of course a hyperbolic statement, but you get the gist of it) because they are able to pad out the game's main and actual narrative with separate stories that ultimately mean nothing in the grand scheme of things other than giving the player XP and loot to be able to continue the main story. I mean it's fine if people like it and they feel it "fleshes" the world out, but in certain cases it's just too much. I mean come on, 40 hours and I have yet to progress in any meaningful way in the main narrative of the game? By the time I get around to moving a step further I'll have forgotten so many details from the actual narrative that I should have remembered, but instead I remember having to cook potions up for some dying widow or something along those lines with a quest that took hours to complete because of so many twists and turns.

I agree with you.
And I think some games do it well and some don't.
I actually thought Fallout 4 was fantastic.
And one of the reasons that I think it works is that the narrative is not the main focus of the game. The world they've created and the role-playing aspect of it are the focus and there is a main narrative if you want to get into it and you can really kind of weave in and out of that main narrative as you like or not at all. Oblivion was the same way. I reached points in both games that felt very satisfying to me and that's when I quit playing and moved on to another game. In Fallout I was a sort of civilization-builder who'd ended the tyranny of the Institute and was providing a safe place (several actually) for survivors to thrive. In Oblivion, I defeated the cult of evil wizards and became the Arch-mage. Both were amazingly fun and rewarding experiences and I was utterly content, yet I can go back at any time and do more if I like (and I may do that when I finish the Bioshock trilogy as there's not much out right now I'm interested in).
But The Witcher 3 and No Man's Sky, they just didn't have their world-shit together in a way that made all the side-stuff rewarding. I spent over 20 hours, I think over 30 on each game and I still had no sense of identity or accomplishment whatsoever. There was no sense that I was moving forward and gaining... well, anything. So I quit those and I doubt I will ever revisit them.
Apr 17, 2017 2:22 PM
0 0
Ned Flanders
Richard Guy
Wooley
Richard Guy
Wooley

I think Fallout 4 is one of the worst offenders for this. I tried to do the main story as fast as I could and I beat it in roughly 20 hours. However one of my more completionist friends is actually trying to do all the sidequests and he's already 100 hours in easily. Thing is, I keep asking him if he's actually having fun doing it and he keeps telling me he really isn't. I would much much rather have a game with a good 20 hour long story and 30 or 40 hours of decent sidequests than a game with a decent 20 hours story but 100 hours of sucky side missions. Hell, I'd rather have a game like The Last Of Us which took me 14 hours but was really quite good than a game like Fallout 4.

See my post above on Fallout 4 and my reaction.
Apr 17, 2017 2:27 PM
0 0
I still think that The Witcher 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. The attention to detail, the main story and both dlcs where great, I loved Gerald and his interaction with each of the other characters, the artistic design, the evolution of the main character all?was great for me. I'm still?playing it just to finish Blood and Wine and I've completed all of the side?quests, contracts and treasure hunts. Even GWYNT (the game inside the game) was great and very addictive.?Also CD Project Red is admirable for their attention and love for their products.

The only thing that interrupted me playing it was Dying Light which is also great but with a very different pace?than the Witcher, but I strongly recommend the bundle with all games and expansions available now.
Apr 17, 2017 3:07 PM
0 0
El MoscaI still think that The Witcher 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. The attention to detail, the main story and both dlcs where great, I loved Gerald and his interaction with each of the other characters, the artistic design, the evolution of the main character all?was great for me. I'm still?playing it just to finish Blood and Wine and I've completed all of the side?quests, contracts and treasure hunts. Even GWYNT (the game inside the game) was great and very addictive.?Also CD Project Red is admirable for their attention and love for their products.

The only thing that interrupted me playing it was Dying Light which is also great but with a very different pace?than the Witcher, but I strongly recommend the bundle with all games and expansions available now.

I will definitely give CD Projekt Red props for their level of commitment to their product. I remember unsealing my copy of Witcher 3 and having codes for free DLC, stickers, and a freakin' soundtrack CD fall out. I was definitely impressed.

I don't think Witcher is a horrible game by any stretch, I just think the main and DLC stories could have used some slimming down.
Apr 17, 2017 5:16 PM
0 0
Stu
Been replaying Resident Evil VII lately, and I?feel it does a pretty good job of putting an intensely immersive, personal 1st-person twist on the series while (for the most part) bringing it back to a more grounded Survival Horror base as opposed to the Michael Bay shenanigans the main series has indulged in as of late, while also often being surprisingly, effectively subtle and restrained with its scares, while also having a refreshing sense of humor and camp in its references to previous games and classic Horror movies.

So yeah, really good game.
Apr 19, 2017 4:52 AM
0 0
Heads up to Dawn of War fans... Open beta for DoW 3 starts in 2 days!!! Go to their sight and get a key!
Apr 19, 2017 8:30 AM
0 0
I gotta say, almost at the end of Bioshock 2, I think it's an excellent game.
I think getting over "it's not Bioshock" was hard for me the first time (I didn't even finish it), but I remember thinking the second time that, "wow, there's some gold here", now playing it like 6 or 7 years later, the game stands on its own with something bordering on excellence. The villain's backstory, which I thought was a weak-point the first time around and I don't remember what I thought the second time around, is actually cleverly conceived and pretty well executed, giving the game an enemy that may not be as leeringly menacing as Ryan and Fontaine, but might stir even more thought in the player than either of them did.
Some really great levels and set-pieces just to savor, one leading into the next, it really is just a well put-together game with great atmosphere and a lot of overall fun to mine.
It takes a level to get itself going, but really, by about halfway through the second level, it starts to become inspired.
Apr 21, 2017 6:54 AM
0 0
138Couldn't find the old one. ?Actually, I was too lazy to look. ?OK, gamers. ?Press Start to enter.

I've been playing Diablo 3 on PS4 for a few weeks and I'm loving it. ?I had to play through the fucker twice because I accidentally overwrote my save info with a backup on USB. ?

Also in my current rotation:
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Witcher 3
Rebel Galaxy

TittyBating to your AV right now.
Apr 21, 2017 7:11 AM
0 0
WooleyI gotta say, almost at the end of Bioshock 2, I think it's an excellent game.
I think getting over "it's not Bioshock" was hard for me the first time (I didn't even finish it), but I remember thinking the second time that, "wow, there's some gold here", now playing it like 6 or 7 years later, the game stands on its own with something bordering on excellence. The villain's backstory, which I thought was a weak-point the first time around and I don't remember what I thought the second time around, is actually cleverly conceived and pretty well executed, giving the game an enemy that may not be as leeringly menacing as Ryan and Fontaine, but might stir even more thought in the player than either of them did.
Some really great levels and set-pieces just to savor, one leading into the next, it really is just a well put-together game with great atmosphere and a lot of overall fun to mine.
It takes a level to get itself going, but really, by about halfway through the second level, it starts to become inspired.

I really need to dive back in to that one. I stopped after the Pauper's Drop level, so I'm not so far in that I've forgotten the story so far. I do remember Lamb being an interesting character, although I can't remember if that impression is from the game or from the book, or both.

Speaking of which, this book basically details the rise and fall of Rapture. The author used most, if not all of the snippets of history you pick up from the audio diaries in the game and fleshed out a damn good story from them.
Apr 21, 2017 11:37 AM
0 0
StuBeen replaying Resident Evil VII lately, and I?feel it does a pretty good job of putting an intensely immersive, personal 1st-person twist on the series while (for the most part) bringing it back to a more grounded Survival Horror base as opposed to the Michael Bay shenanigans the main series has indulged in as of late, while also often being surprisingly, effectively subtle and restrained with its scares, while also having a refreshing sense of humor and camp in its references to previous games and classic Horror movies.

So yeah, really good game.

I loved the part in the basement where Jack picks up the modified chainsaw and says "Groovy!"
Apr 22, 2017 2:58 AM
0 0
WooleyI gotta say, almost at the end of Bioshock 2, I think it's an excellent game.

I really need to dive back in to that one. I stopped after the Pauper's Drop level, so I'm not so far in that I've forgotten the story so far. I do remember Lamb being an interesting character, although I can't remember if that impression is from the game or from the book, or both.

Speaking of which, this book basically details the rise and fall of Rapture. The author used most, if not all of the snippets of history you pick up from the audio diaries in the game and fleshed out a damn good story from them.

Yep I read that book straight off the hype of finishing Bioshock 1, and while I'm by no means a literary critic for what it's worth I thought it was great.
Apr 22, 2017 3:00 AM
0 0
Finished Bioshock 2.
Wow, was that good. I guess I'd forgotten. Absurd that it gets hate. Game just gets better and better as it goes along, does about 1,000 little things right, and has a better ending than its predecessor.
I'm not saying it's better than Bioshock, to me nothing will ever be better than Bioshock, but man was it good. Hard to believe I actually disliked it and quit the first time around.
Apr 22, 2017 5:58 PM
0 0
Bioshock 2 may very well be my favorite of the series. It's definitely the challenging game of the bunch.
Apr 22, 2017 6:59 PM
0 0
James MacKinnonHeads up to Dawn of War fans... Open beta for DoW 3 starts in 2 days!!! Go to their sight and get a key!

Extremely disappointed in this game... Unless they change ALOT from the beta it won't be worth buying... Heartbreaking.
Apr 22, 2017 11:46 PM
0 0
Started the remastered Bioshock: Infinite.

Man, it's gorgeous.
Apr 23, 2017 4:20 PM
0 0
The Friday the 13th game is coming out on May 26th. I can't wait for that.
Apr 23, 2017 7:06 PM
0 0
Anthony HurleyThe Friday the 13th game is coming out on May 26th. I can't wait for that.

Are there early reviews or anything?
Apr 23, 2017 10:36 PM
0 0