PEW! PEW! PEW! The Video Game Thread!

WooleyAfter playing several less-than-inspiring games, I decided to replay original Bioshock remastered for PS4.

Yep, still the best game I ever played.

It's a good one. I think they did a great job with the port, too. Although some of the freakier game-freaks on NeoGAF went nuts at certain water effects looking different.

Wooley, have you played the Metro Redux games?
Mar 20, 2017 7:17 PM
0 0
http://mashable.com/2017/03/20/mass-effect-andromeda-reviews-round-up/

'Mass Effect: Andromeda' reviews are in: Bad game is bad

I wish I could say that I'm surprised but I'm not. Bioware has gone to hell over the last several years. The smart move would have been to hand the project over to Obsidian, it would have been buggy but still fantastic.

Anyway, I just started playing Dishonored 2, it's great so far. My only serious complaint is the "improved" stealth system, which is too frustrating to be fun. I gave up trying to be sneaky early on.
Mar 20, 2017 7:30 PM
0 0
Was holding out hope the new Mass Effect would be good but it's stunk of cash grab since its announcement.
Mar 20, 2017 8:33 PM
0 0
WooleyAfter playing several less-than-inspiring games, I decided to replay original Bioshock remastered for PS4.

It's a good one. I think they did a great job with the port, too. Although some of the freakier game-freaks on NeoGAF went nuts at certain water effects looking different.

I have not, haven't even heard of them, what's that about?
Mar 20, 2017 10:11 PM
0 0
Special Agent Cooper
http://mashable.com/2017/03/20/mass-effect-andromeda-reviews-round-up/

'Mass Effect: Andromeda' reviews are in: Bad game is bad

I wish I could say that I'm surprised but I'm not. Bioware has gone to hell over the last several years. The smart move would have been to hand the project over to Obsidian, it would have been buggy but still fantastic.

Anyway, I just started playing Dishonored 2, it's great so far. My only serious complaint is the "improved" stealth system, which is too frustrating to be fun. I gave up trying to be sneaky early on.

Dishonored 2 was damn good. I played it once as each character. I did stealth the hell out of it.
Mar 20, 2017 10:11 PM
0 0
Wooley
Dishonored 2 was damn good. I played it once as each character. I did stealth the hell out of it.

I just suck at stealth to begin with, and now that enemies are smarter than in the first game, I'm rather not take a year to finish it. Full-on massacre mode for me, although I'm sure I'll be punished with a dark ending.
Mar 20, 2017 10:24 PM
0 0
Wooley

First-Person Shooter based on a series of Russian novels, set in a post-apocalyptic Moscow. I grabbed both games off PSN for $14.99 in a sale. Only got through the first game, but it was a good time. Will jump into the sequel when my backlog gets whittled down.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/metro_redux/b/playstation4/archive/2014/08/26/a-post-apocalyptic-remodel.aspx
Mar 21, 2017 11:15 AM
0 0
Special Agent Cooper
Wooley

I just suck at stealth to begin with, and now that enemies are smarter than in the first game, I'm rather not take a year to finish it. Full-on massacre mode for me, although I'm sure I'll be punished with a dark ending.

But the stealth is what makes it fun! Wandering around trying to figure out "how do I make a path to where I need to go without having to kill everyone in the area", man that's the whole fun of the game for me. Blinking up to a ledge, cutting through an apartment and dropping down to take somebody out, then blinking away before the nearby patroller can see what happened, man that is so satisfying.
But you're right, it's a lot harder than it was in the previous games, the AI is much more likely to see you. I wasn't able to pull of an all-stealth game, but I was able to do non-lethal pretty well and, as you'll know from the first games, that actually changes the course and the outcome of the games.
Mar 21, 2017 2:35 PM
0 0
Wooley

First-Person Shooter based on a series of Russian novels, set in a post-apocalyptic Moscow. I grabbed both games off PSN for $14.99 in a sale. Only got through the first game, but it was a good time. Will jump into the sequel when my backlog gets whittled down.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/metro_redux/b/playstation4/archive/2014/08/26/a-post-apocalyptic-remodel.aspx

Sounds good, I'll check it out.
Mar 21, 2017 2:36 PM
0 0
Wooley
Special Agent Cooper
Wooley

But the stealth is what makes it fun! Wandering around trying to figure out "how do I make a path to where I need to go without having to kill everyone in the area", man that's the whole fun of the game for me. Blinking up to a ledge, cutting through an apartment and dropping down to take somebody out, then blinking away before the nearby patroller can see what happened, man that is so satisfying.
But you're right, it's a lot harder than it was in the previous games, the AI is much more likely to see you. I wasn't able to pull of an all-stealth game, but I was able to do non-lethal pretty well and, as you'll know from the first games, that actually changes the course and the outcome of the games.

But it's also fun to crush your enemies and leave death and destruction in your wake. I see what you mean though
Mar 21, 2017 7:35 PM
0 0
I haven't posted in a bit but here's what I've played since

Resident Evil 7
really really loved this game. The puzzles weren't too tough but they were a decent challenge, the first person perspective doesn't ruin the feeling of a resident evil game and the new antagonists were really creepy. My only complaints were that it was really easy? I'm not really all that good at video games but I played this one on normal and I think I only died like twice maybe?

I"m still playing Overwatch, and still having fun with it.

I decided I would try and complete the Mass Effect trilogy recently too. I finished Mass Effect 1 a year or two ago and I didn't really like it so that kinda put me off of playing the second for a while. I've been playing the second one a bit now and I think it suffers from a lot of the same issues as ME1. The dialogue, plot, characters, etc are all top notch as far as video games go but the gameplay connecting them is some of the most dry repetitive third person cover shooting I've ever seen. I'm 4 or 5 hours in and practically all the missions have been "go here, kill x amount of enemies, new character joins your team". One of my friends is a huge ME fan and he says the game is roughly 30 hours to complete and I honestly don't know if I wanna play 25 more hours of this. does it pick up or are these game just not for me?
Apr 14, 2017 1:50 AM
0 0
I got myself a Switch and a whole 2 hours into Zelda.
Apr 14, 2017 3:13 AM
0 0
Stu
DeschainI got myself a Switch and a whole 2 hours into Zelda.

How do you feel about it so far?
Apr 14, 2017 4:36 AM
0 0
Stu
DeschainI got myself a Switch and a whole 2 hours into Zelda.

How do you feel about it so far?

I'm not out of the tutorial area yet but I like it quite a bit.
Apr 14, 2017 5:37 AM
0 0
Ned FlandersI haven't posted in a bit but here's what I've played since

Resident Evil 7
really really loved this game. The puzzles weren't too tough but they were a decent challenge, the first person perspective doesn't ruin the feeling of a resident evil game and the new antagonists were really creepy. My only complaints were that it was really easy? I'm not really all that good at video games but I played this one on normal and I think I only died like twice maybe?

I"m still playing Overwatch, and still having fun with it.

I decided I would try and complete the Mass Effect trilogy recently too. I finished Mass Effect 1 a year or two ago and I didn't really like it so that kinda put me off of playing the second for a while. I've been playing the second one a bit now and I think it suffers from a lot of the same issues as ME1. The dialogue, plot, characters, etc are all top notch as far as video games go but the gameplay connecting them is some of the most dry repetitive third person cover shooting I've ever seen. I'm 4 or 5 hours in and practically all the missions have been "go here, kill x amount of enemies, new character joins your team". One of my friends is a huge ME fan and he says the game is roughly 30 hours to complete and I honestly don't know if I wanna play 25 more hours of this. does it pick up or are these game just not for me?

I dunno, Ned. ME2 is basically considered the highpoint of the series by a lot of people (except the hardcore RPG purists who bemoaned the tighter focus on combat). I'd say the series as a whole is characters first, story second. It's all about your squad and their stories and through their loyalty missions is where you get the good stuff. If the gameplay is letting you down, I'd try to stay focused on the large picture overall of you and your squad against impossible odds.

Also, try to mix combat up as best as you can. What class are you playing as?
Apr 14, 2017 11:11 AM
0 0
Also, glad to see this thread bumped.

I've recently played (but not finished) Horizon: Zero Dawn, which is a gorgeous fucking game. I'd love to complete it, but I'm getting a little tired of the gameplay loop so I put it down for a bit.

Booted up Mass Effect: Andromeda, but I'm just not feeling it at the moment. Spring is a bad time for me to start new epic games. It's time to go outside whenever possible.
Apr 14, 2017 11:14 AM
0 0
I'm on Bioshock 2 now.
First Bioshock remains my favorite game of all time (despite the final battle) after replay.
Bioshock 2 is unquestionably a step down, and it's really all in the design. However, I remember well from playing it years ago that the game gets better and better as it goes along and one gets used to the design differences. I'm looking forward to getting to that point but regardless, it's fun to be in Rapture again, even if it doesn't quite feel like Rapture.
Apr 14, 2017 1:41 PM
0 0
My new obsession is survival & simulation - i.e. maintenance - games like Stardew Valley. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing yet and my farm looks like a war zone, but damn, is it fun and addictive.
Apr 14, 2017 1:58 PM
0 0
I loved the Mass Effect games, with 2 being my favorite, but yes combat is not the franchise's strong point. Disappointed there's such bad reviews do Andromeda. I'll probably check it out if it goes on sale.

Bioshock is one of my favorite games of all time. 2 is definitely a step down but doesn't warrant all the negative hate. 3 is incredible.

Stardew Valley was fun but after a couple in-game years I lost interest in it. Another great survival game is Don't Starve, a lot less farming and RPGing and more just being on your own trying not to die.
Apr 14, 2017 2:49 PM
0 0
DeschainStardew Valley was fun but after a couple in-game years I lost interest in it. Another great survival game is Don't Starve, a lot less farming and RPGing and more just being on your own trying not to die.

Don't Starve is my girlfriend's current obsession and I'll probably join her soon. One of the issues I have with games like this - it made me quit Subnautica only an hour in and I can see that it will be a problem with Stardew Valley pretty soon - is inventory management. She told me it's not something she has to deal with a whole lot in Don't Starve, which relieves me greatly.
Apr 14, 2017 3:05 PM
0 0