Considering Buying an Xbox One

Original Poster
Hello, guys. Haven't been on RT much in general, but on average I was more of a reader of RTGD than the Video Game Discussion board, but I figured you guys would be the best ones to ask these questions to.

I am strongly considering getting an Xbox One very soon. Eventually I would like to get a PS4, but I want to get an Xbox One first for a few reasons, including that my friends play on it, so I could play with them online; that it seems to be offering at least limited backwards compatibility now; and that (supposedly) you can use the Xbox One as a sort of DVR if you don't already have one (I don't, and would definitely love to use this feature).

My big questions are what bundle/set you guys think I should get. What size hard drive should I get? I don't even know what size the system comes in, but I know there is at least a 500GB model. Personally, I'd probably prefer to get more size rather than less, as I maxed out my Xbox 360 hard drive fairly fast.

My friend tells me that the only way to get the DVR capability is to get it with the Kinect. Is this true? I definitely have no problems getting the Kinect version, as I finally will have the Xbox in a room big enough to use the Kinect. I bought the Kinect for the Xbox 360, but never really had it in a big enough room to use it, so I honestly never even set it up with the 360.

What accessories should I get with the system? I definitely want to get an extra controller, because having just one controller sucks, even back in the days of getting my Nintendo 64. I have an Astro A50 headset that I use with my PS3 and Xbox 360. I'm hoping this works with the Xbox One as well. I've seen there is an Xbox One-branded Astro A50 headset out, but I will be VERY pissed if I have to buy a new headset and they can't just add new console-supported capability onto my $300 headset. If I do have to buy a new one, definitely not buying another Astro A50, as it's probably not really worth the money.

Mostly I have just been looking around online for a quick guide to getting the new system(s), but haven't really found any outside of the ones that came out...what, two years ago (?), when the new systems first came out. I have to believe that most people didn't actually buy the new consoles right when they came out, so those guides are kinda out of date by this point.

Finally, what games would you guys recommend I get? I really want to play Metal Gear Solid V, but I've only played the first two in the series, so I kinda feel like I will be lost without going through and playing all of the old ones first, which kinda sucks. Definitely want to get Grand Theft Auto V, and probably will get Call of Duty: Black Ops III, despite the fact that I'm kinda bored on the whole Call of Duty shooter trend (although I did love the first one on PC!), just because my friend got that and I'd love to play him.
Dec 5, 2015 1:03 PM
0 0
This forum was abandoned.
Dec 6, 2015 8:31 AM
0 0
There's bundles for the Call of Duty games if you're planning on getting them anyway. I'd say at least the 1TB because the OS takes up a ton of space so 500gb is more like 250. I had to pick up a headset separately but just got a basic one. Don't know much about using other headsets for it. You can run your cable through the Xbox but voice commands require the Kinect. I don't know anything about the DVR. They have all the bundles and what they include listed on the Xbox site.

I've been playing Fallout 4, Shovel Knight, Star Wars Battlefront, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Arkham Knight on mine. They look and run great. The User Interface and online store are pretty fucking awful though.
Dec 6, 2015 9:35 AM
0 0
LookabunnyThis forum was abandoned.

Unfortunately I can see that. Maybe I'll post this on GD. 
And, Deschain, thanks for the response. I'll probably end up getting the 1TB version. 
You have a PS4?
Dec 6, 2015 7:49 PM
0 0
Vladimir777
LookabunnyThis forum was abandoned.

Unfortunately I can see that. Maybe I'll post this on GD. 
And, Deschain, thanks for the response. I'll probably end up getting the 1TB version. 
You have a PS4?

I do not, went with the Xbone.
Dec 6, 2015 10:11 PM
0 0
So I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get the Xbox One today at Best Buy.  It helps that I have a Best Buy credit card, which I paid totally off, so I can put the whole thing on that and feel a little less bad, since my bank account is tiny.

I researched online, and you can use the old Astro A50 headsets with the Xbox One, so luckily I don't have to buy a new headset for myself.  Maybe one day I'll get a cheap one for my GF if she plays with me.  I do think you need the little Xbox stereo headset adapter to make it so you can chat with the Astro and Xbox Live, but that's pretty cheap.  I worry that means I won't get the headset in virtual surround sound, but if it's just for chatting, maybe it won't affect the audio experience.

Random question directed at no one: does anyone play with both a person in the room and online at the same time anymore?  As in, say I'm with my friend, and we both want to play multiplayer, but we also want to play against other people online in addition to ourselves.  I feel like that's not a thing anymore.  I remember a few games had it.  From my memory, Call of Duty didn't, but Halo 3 did.  Or I might have those mixed up.

So what games does everyone recommend getting for the Xbox One if I want an essential collection?  I'm thinking the Halo Master Chief Collection, plus Halo 5, plus Grand Theft Auto V, plus Metal Gear Solid V, Fallout IV, and the Tomb Raider games.  Sucks Last of Us is only PlayStation, I think.  I basically haven't bought a new game for four or more years, even though I had an Xbox 360.  So I can go back pretty old on the recommendations.
Dec 7, 2015 2:03 PM
0 0
How has the purchase gone?
Jan 12, 2016 9:35 AM
0 0
I decided to buy a PS4 last week, one which came with Call of Duty Black Ops 3, and I also bought Fallout 4 and Dishonored. I have been basically at Fallout 4 ever since, it takes me forever to get through these kind of games.
Jan 24, 2016 1:54 PM
0 0
Xbox One S
Jul 3, 2016 10:58 PM
0 0