HORRORCRAM XIV: DaMU you all to Hell

Janson JinnistanLux, I really am so sorry that I watched the film on Netflix rather than downloading some Albanian mafia malware-hosting copy off of skeevtube.

You think Netflix shows Edward Yang's The Terrorizers? No sometimes you need to go that extra mile to get that special film. Besides you obviously don't know what a VPN is or how to download torrents. Get back to posting your links to DIY articles from shady newspapers (that are probably run by Russians). I don't have time to explain to you what's safe and what's not safe. It really would take some of my precious time.
Apr 21, 2017 4:20 AM
0 0
MKSAnd precisely my point!

And a good point. The film is not so perfect as to not second guess its format, but it was so unsettling that I'm not sure whether or not the queasiness is intentional or a by-product from its poor resolution. I might have some more solid insight in a week or so.
Apr 21, 2017 4:20 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
MKSAnd precisely my point!

And a good point. ?The film is not so perfect as to not second guess its format, but it was so unsettling that I'm not sure whether or not the queasiness is intentional or a by-product from its poor resolution. ?I might have some more solid insight in a week or so.

You're gonna take a whole week out to think about this film?
Apr 21, 2017 4:22 AM
0 0
Black Philipyou obviously don't know what a VPN is

Funny you should mention it because I've been cramming some research as an alternative to the recent lifting of the ban on ISP selling of browser data. I believe most of the credible ones are subscription.

Black Philipor how to download torrents.

I don't like to bother this site with my B&W Get Back outtake obsessions but, pfft.

Black PhilipGet back to posting your links to DIY articles from shady newspapers (that are probably run by Russians).

Yes like Reuters and Wapo. Insidious homebrew there.
Apr 21, 2017 4:24 AM
0 0
Black PhilipYou're gonna take a whole week out to think about this film?

I understand that for stupid (crazy) people, it's utterly unfathomable that multiple thoughts can be held in the same noggin for such a long time.
Apr 21, 2017 4:25 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Black PhilipYou're gonna take a whole week out to think about this film?

I understand that for stupid (crazy) people, it's utterly unfathomable that multiple thoughts can be held in the same noggin for such a long time.

There you go again being a condescending twat.
Apr 21, 2017 4:27 AM
0 0
Black Philip
MKS
Black Philip
MKSYou should edit out those spoilers. Spoilers have no expiration date.

Also, the definition of antihero is a protagonist that lacks heroic traits (i.e. is villainous). Sympathy need not apply.

I know what an anti-hero. I still don't see her as an anti-hero. she was devoid of any humanity at that point. She could have joined Hitler's Youth and no one would blink an eye.
And dude, did you know bruce willis is a ghost?

You obviously don't know what an antihero is.

I would consider Clint Eastwood in the man with no name movies an anti-hero. He didn't have classic heroic traits but he was someone you can still side with. I did not feel the same about this girl.

I think that would qualify as an anti-hero in my book.
Apr 21, 2017 4:49 AM
0 0
MKS
Black Philip
MKS
Black Philip
MKSYou should edit out those spoilers. Spoilers have no expiration date.

Also, the definition of antihero is a protagonist that lacks heroic traits (i.e. is villainous). Sympathy need not apply.

I know what an anti-hero. I still don't see her as an anti-hero. she was devoid of any humanity at that point. She could have joined Hitler's Youth and no one would blink an eye.
And dude, did you know bruce willis is a ghost?

You obviously don't know what an antihero is.

I would consider Clint Eastwood in the man with no name movies an anti-hero. He didn't have classic heroic traits but he was someone you can still side with. I did not feel the same about this girl.

It doesn't matter what you feel. Antihero is a broad term that relates to narrative role rather than characteristics. It's a is a protagonist that is not heroic. Is she a protagonist? Yes. Is she heroic? No. She's an antihero.
Apr 21, 2017 12:00 PM
0 0
An anti-hero doesn't display classic heroic traits. Like Tyrone Powers or the sort. That doesn't mean they can't be heroic. I consider Logan to be a perfect anti-hero. He's loathes himself and wants to die but he still has heroic and somewhat sympathetic traits. It does matter what you feel. We're not talking the total opposite of a hero in this case. Remember the key word is classic. Robin Hood is another great example. Marlon Brando in The Wild Ones.
Apr 21, 2017 12:06 PM
0 0
MKS
Black PhilipAn anti-hero doesn't display classic heroic traits. Like Tyrone Powers or the sort. That doesn't mean they can't be heroic. I consider Logan to be a perfect anti-hero. He's loathes himself and wants to die but he still has heroic and somewhat sympathetic traits. It does matter what you feel. We're not talking the total opposite of a hero in this case. Remember the key word is classic. Robin Hood is another great example. Marlon Brando in The Wild Ones.

You're arguing with facts.
"a central character in a story, movie, or drama who lacks conventional heroic attributes."

That's the definition. It does not contain the specificity you are mandating or the other qualities.

You are simply, factually wrong.
Apr 21, 2017 5:55 PM
0 0
Vinegar Syndrome is releasing Psycho Cop 2 Returns in a couple of days. For those that haven't seen it, it an early 90's slasher that feels very late 80's. Most of the action takes place in an LA high rise and big hair, boobs, bad acting and cheesy one liners are to be found throughout the whole film.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Psycho-Cop-Returns-Blu-ray/175044/
Apr 23, 2017 7:13 PM
0 0
MKS
Shock aka Beyond the Door 2 is a minor coda to Bava's career but a fitting one. The script is partially penned by his son and is a tad derivative of other haunted house flicks that populated the surrounding years of the Exorcist (this certainly piqued my interest for Lisa and the Devil), which, like many of his films, puts an emphasis on his visuals, atmosphere and technical prowess, all of which are in uniform strength. Had the peculiar score (fitting for Italian horror but antithetical to actual tension) not capsized the climax, I think he's got some of the best jump scares set pieces that feel like a clear precursor for the approach James Wan has now popularized. There's one in particular, that is so simple in execution that it's ingenious, with a child running towards his mother that has stuck with me and makes me feel like this film is so close to Bava greatness that it hurts.

I almost forgot to mention Daria Niccolodi holding the dramatic heft of this film together with one of the better performances I've seen in an Italian horror. This may not be as good as the Argento films she was involved in, including her penning of Suspiria, but it's certainly her most remarkable performance. She truly captures her character's mental tight rope walk and has her truly feeling on edge.

Solid flick but, if given a bit more narrative work, stylish lighting and a different score, it could've been a contender.
Apr 23, 2017 7:44 PM
0 0
MKSThere's one in particular, that is so simple in execution that it's ingenious, with a child running towards his mother that has stuck with me and makes me feel like this film is so close to Bava greatness that it hurts.

Great scene.
Apr 23, 2017 7:57 PM
0 0
The Bavaphilia fills me with joy.

I still haven't seen any of his gladiator films, but the only really bad film I'd say is the Vincent Price Dr. Goldfoot (not my style of camp, but good for Austin Powers aficianados). My least favorite of his horror films has to be Baron Blood, but it has its moments. I would save that one for last.
Apr 24, 2017 12:28 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan

I still haven't seen any of his gladiator films,

I just rented Hercules in the Haunted World. We'll see how that one goes.
Apr 24, 2017 1:14 AM
0 0
MKS
Janson JinnistanThe Bavaphilia fills me with joy.

I still haven't seen any of his gladiator films, but the only really bad film I'd say is the Vincent Price Dr. Goldfoot (not my style of camp, but good for Austin Powers aficianados). ?My least favorite of his horror films has to be Baron Blood, but it has its moments. ?I would save that one for last.

Have you seen Roy Colt and Winchester Jack? It's a decent enough spaghetti western and a more overtly comedic turn in the genre. I was hoping for a more serious turn for Bava, so on that alone, it dropped it pretty low on my list of his films but even at or near the bottom, it has its moments.
The only Bava I own and have yet to watch is the Girl Who Knew Too Much. I plan to acquire Lisa and the Devil, Hatchet for the Honeymoon, Kidnapped and Baron Blood in the coming weeks (I pick up around 2 per pay check on Blu ray. Planning to have the complete Kino Bava collection soon).
Apr 24, 2017 2:29 AM
0 0
MKS
crumbsroom
Janson Jinnistan

I still haven't seen any of his gladiator films,

I just rented Hercules in the Haunted World. We'll see how that one goes.

That one is on Amazon prime. Haven't checked the transfer yet but they have a TON of Italian films on there and the transfers range from predictably but not unacceptably poor to Blu Ray excellent.
Apr 24, 2017 2:30 AM
0 0
Stu
MKSYou're arguing with facts.

"a central character in a story, movie, or drama who lacks conventional heroic attributes."

That's the definition. It does not contain the specificity you are mandating or the other qualities.

Maybe Phil was just trying to pull a Kellyanne and give you some

Apr 24, 2017 2:36 AM
0 0
MKS
Black PhilipAn anti-hero doesn't display classic heroic traits. Like Tyrone Powers or the sort. That doesn't mean they can't be heroic. I consider Logan to be a perfect anti-hero. He's loathes himself and wants to die but he still has heroic and somewhat sympathetic traits. It does matter what you feel. We're not talking the total opposite of a hero in this case. Remember the key word is classic. Robin Hood is another great example. Marlon Brando in The Wild Ones.

You're arguing with facts.

Nope. I'm not.
Apr 24, 2017 4:04 AM
0 0
I'm about 1/3 of the way through the Turkish horror Baskin.?Anyone else seen it? It's on Netflix and I'm quite liking it so far, though struggling a little with the culture gap.
Apr 24, 2017 11:06 PM
0 0