HORRORCRAM XIV: DaMU you all to Hell

Liked this one well enough, although it pushes the absolute limit on how little can happen in a horror film. How much you liked The House of the Devil will be a good gauge of how much you'll like this.
Apr 17, 2017 2:40 AM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
MKSI also wish he'd collaborated with Christopher Lee more because he felt as at home in this castle as he did castle Dracula.

Castle of the Living Dead, a non-Bava gothic Italian 60s horror film with Lee, is well recommended as well.

I REALLY liked that movie.
Apr 17, 2017 4:03 AM
0 0
Has anyone here seen House of Whipcord?

I'd like to read some feedback on that film.
Apr 17, 2017 4:05 AM
0 0
Okay, I might be making fun of The Scarlet Gospels?because its insistence on marrying sex and violence can border on the absurd (spoiler alert! Pinhead just punched an old blind woman in the vagina), but darn if it doesn't have some genuinely horrific and memorable imagery in it.
Apr 18, 2017 9:42 PM
0 0
Rock

I watched Sleepless based on Crumbsroom's recommendation. It's pretty decent. The 3 post-opera Argentos I've seen (this, 2 Evil Eyes and The Stendhal Syndrome) all seem to focus more on character than his earlier work. This one has a pretty nice Max von Sydow performance that it puts to good use, and I'll agree with Mr. Crumb that this is one of the best characters in any of Argento's movies. Unfortunately, there's a TV-movie quality to style so that it's not as fun on a technical level as his earlier work and actually feels a little anonymous, outside of a few strong images and the explicit gore. (The fullscreen transfer on the DVD I watched didn't help things.) The greater emphasis on characterization also means that dumb character decisions are more distracting than usual, although the mystery does tie out nicely enough.

Yeah, there is definitely a good number of flat scenes in between any moments of note. It's one of the things that Argento seems to have lost his touch with, since in his heyday he could even make strictly expository scenes visually interesting.
Apr 18, 2017 11:18 PM
0 0
WooleyHas anyone here seen House of Whipcord?

I have. In fact I was sure we had briefly talked about it before. I'm a pretty decent fan. I generally like Walker's mix of British kitchen sink realism and exploitative horror/violence. It works best with his Frightmare, though.

Also, Sheila Keith is Walker's equivalent of Craven's Robert Englund or Coscarelli's Angus Scrimm. She should be a legendary baddie in the horror universe.
Apr 18, 2017 11:36 PM
0 0
Backcountry was....ok. 6/10

Life....well, I read the reviews, but I tried to hold out hope. Sure, it's an Alien rip-off, and despite its more philosophical pretensions (like its broad and haughty but unimaginative title, the film at times tries to also ape Gravity's profundity, and earns none of it), the film is alright as a more modest monster film. The script needed more than a couple of polishes, and the acting was pretty weak, especially Gyllenhaal who either didn't seem to care or to understand what film he was actually in. By contrast, Ryan Reynolds is pretty good, because he seemed to know exactly what kind of film he was in. And although the creature's design has been getting a lot of ridicule for looking like a demonic space vagina, I suppose I should remind everyone what demonic space organ the Xenomorph looked like.

Daniel Espinosa deserves the credit, as he shows real capability with atmosphere and tension and some visually striking shots. The problem is almost wholly in the script, which is hand-me-down on an almost flea market scale. Without spoilers, I'll just say that the ending sucked any and all good will it had going for it (I will point out that it almost seems as if the film's aping of Gravity was some kind of sick set-up to a horribly lame joke), and, like salt in our sore eyes, the end credit music of "Spirit in the Sky" is probably responsible for about 60% of the hostility that exiting critics needed to vent. 7/10 + 2/10 ending

I look forward to seeing these reviews appear in about 3 hours.
Apr 19, 2017 1:59 AM
0 0
crumbsroom
WooleyHas anyone here seen House of Whipcord?

I have. In fact I was sure we had briefly talked about it before. I'm a pretty decent fan. I generally like Walker's mix of British kitchen sink realism and exploitative horror/violence. It works best with his Frightmare, though.

Also, Sheila Keith is Walker's equivalent of Craven's Robert Englund or Coscarelli's Angus Scrimm. She should be a legendary baddie in the horror universe.

I think we did, now that you mention it. My memory is not so good these days.?
Agree with your description.
Need to see Frightmare.
Apr 19, 2017 5:22 AM
0 0
OK, The Eyes of My Mother is pretty fantastic stuff, but also very cold and alienating for what I am sure is much of the audience. It's a strange film with cruel overtones, the B&W is sharp and haunting with many striking images, and has the chillingly deliberate pace that either will entice you or bore you to tears. It's also an emotionally miserable film, and one that may prey on resources that will be very uncomfortable. Bleak but desolately tender.
Apr 20, 2017 11:47 PM
0 0
MKS
Janson JinnistanOK, The Eyes of My Mother is pretty fantastic stuff, but also very cold and alienating for what I am sure is much of the audience. ?It's a strange film with cruel overtones, the B&W is sharp and haunting with many striking images, and has the chillingly deliberate pace that either will entice you or bore you to tears. ?It's also an emotionally miserable film, and one that may prey on resources that will be very uncomfortable. ?Bleak but desolately tender.

I dug it well enough. It felt like a spiritual successor to May, though I much preferred the sensibilities of this to Lucky McGee's film. The loneliness, flirtations with lesbianism and corpse manipulations felt very much as classier, more restrained echoes of that film but this one had a degree of honesty and visual flair that made it a much more appealing watch. This is definitely one of the better microbudget indie horror. It falls into the trappings of that niche genre where glacial pacing and experimental shot composition have become ubiquitous, this has enough substance to hold it alongside films like the Witch rather than the Monster.
However, I can't help but feel like this is the type of ending where the writer/director simply couldn't come up with something more satisfying. It comes off as artificial and though it could be said that it's earned because each chapter feels like that arrival should have happened, it just feels terribly trite.
Also, I feel like the film might have played out better if the chapters were arranged in reverse chronological order. That too may have been derivative and forced but I think it would have built more classic tension and intrigue and given the film a more poignant ending.
Apr 21, 2017 3:02 AM
0 0
MKSHowever, I can't help but feel like this is the type of ending where the writer/director simply couldn't come up with something more satisfying. It comes off as artificial and though it could be said that it's earned because each chapter feels like that arrival should have happened, it just feels terribly trite.

It's certainly anti-climatic, but I don't see that as trite or necessarily a bad thing. It does fulfill the film in some way, if we consider that the entire film would have been solved early on if the family had been shot as quickly as the police end the film so it ends up closing the loop that it opens. Plus, I feel that the real emotional closures had already taken place for the respective characters - the final scene with the mother (her dug-up corpse), the intruder and the father - so it's already a dead end at that point.

MKSAlso, I feel like the film might have played out better if the chapters were arranged in reverse chronological order. That too may have been derivative and forced but I think it would have built more classic tension and intrigue and given the film a more poignant ending.

Actually, didn't the film start with a scene late in the film?

But I see what you mean, and I agree that it would be intriguing to maybe start the film with the hitchhiker scene, and the abducted baby, and working backwards to discover the root of her traumatic obsession.
Apr 21, 2017 3:21 AM
0 0
Black PhilipThe root? Maybe she just flipped out one day. Shit it happens to people. It's called a nervous breakdown. She could have been eating an apple and realized that apples are gonna take over the world.

You've seen the film. I think you know.
Apr 21, 2017 3:31 AM
0 0
MKS
Janson Jinnistan
MKSHowever, I can't help but feel like this is the type of ending where the writer/director simply couldn't come up with something more satisfying. It comes off as artificial and though it could be said that it's earned because each chapter feels like that arrival should have happened, it just feels terribly trite.

It's certainly anti-climatic, but I don't see that as trite or necessarily a bad thing. ?It does fulfill the film in some way, if we consider that the entire film would have been solved early on if the family had been shot as quickly as the police end the film so it ends up closing the loop that it opens. ?Plus, I feel that the real emotional closures had already taken place for the respective characters - the final scene with the mother (her dug-up corpse), the intruder and the father - so it's already a dead end at that point.

MKSAlso, I feel like the film might have played out better if the chapters were arranged in reverse chronological order. That too may have been derivative and forced but I think it would have built more classic tension and intrigue and given the film a more poignant ending.

Actually, didn't the film start with a scene late in the film?

But I see what you mean, and I agree that it would be intriguing to maybe start the film with the hitchhiker scene, and the abducted baby, and working backwards to discover the root of her traumatic obsession.

I just think that the cops showing up and gunning down out antihero is just an ending that's been done to death, right down to only hearing the gunshot. It just left me feeling like the rest of the film had gone out of the way to subvert expectations and did so very well so this just left me feeling... Unsatisfied.
And precisely my point! Unraveling the moments that lead to her getting to where she is would have been more poetic and the conclusion of the first chapter would have more resonance with the thematic content of the film than the current, linear ending.
All in all though, these are just quibbles built upon how engaged I was by the film overall. If it isn't great, it flirts close enough with great to inspire and frustrate in equal measure.
Apr 21, 2017 3:46 AM
0 0
MKS
You should edit out those spoilers. Spoilers have no expiration date.

Also, the definition of antihero is a protagonist that lacks heroic traits (i.e. is villainous). Sympathy need not apply.
Apr 21, 2017 4:03 AM
0 0
MKS
Black Philip
MKSYou should edit out those spoilers. Spoilers have no expiration date.

Also, the definition of antihero is a protagonist that lacks heroic traits (i.e. is villainous). Sympathy need not apply.

I know what an anti-hero. I still don't see her as an anti-hero. she was devoid of any humanity at that point. She could have joined Hitler's Youth and no one would blink an eye.
And dude, did you know bruce willis is a ghost?

You obviously don't know what an antihero is.
Apr 21, 2017 4:09 AM
0 0
Lux, I really am so sorry that I watched the film on Netflix rather than downloading some Albanian mafia malware-hosting copy off of skeevtube.
Apr 21, 2017 4:16 AM
0 0
MKSAnd precisely my point!

And a good point. The film is not so perfect as to not second guess its format, but it was so unsettling that I'm not sure whether or not the queasiness is intentional or a by-product from its poor resolution. I might have some more solid insight in a week or so.
Apr 21, 2017 4:20 AM
0 0
Black Philipyou obviously don't know what a VPN is

Funny you should mention it because I've been cramming some research as an alternative to the recent lifting of the ban on ISP selling of browser data. I believe most of the credible ones are subscription.

Black Philipor how to download torrents.

I don't like to bother this site with my B&W Get Back outtake obsessions but, pfft.

Black PhilipGet back to posting your links to DIY articles from shady newspapers (that are probably run by Russians).

Yes like Reuters and Wapo. Insidious homebrew there.
Apr 21, 2017 4:24 AM
0 0
Black PhilipYou're gonna take a whole week out to think about this film?

I understand that for stupid (crazy) people, it's utterly unfathomable that multiple thoughts can be held in the same noggin for such a long time.
Apr 21, 2017 4:25 AM
0 0
Black Philip
MKS
Black Philip
MKSYou should edit out those spoilers. Spoilers have no expiration date.

I know what an anti-hero. I still don't see her as an anti-hero. she was devoid of any humanity at that point. She could have joined Hitler's Youth and no one would blink an eye.
And dude, did you know bruce willis is a ghost?

You obviously don't know what an antihero is.

I would consider Clint Eastwood in the man with no name movies an anti-hero. He didn't have classic heroic traits but he was someone you can still side with. I did not feel the same about this girl.

I think that would qualify as an anti-hero in my book.
Apr 21, 2017 4:49 AM
0 0