HORRORCRAM XIV: DaMU you all to Hell

MKS
Thanks for the heads up! They had House of Exorcism on Amazon prime video but I avoided watching it due to the intent of watching it on blu.
I may buy it momentarily...
I dug Roy Colt by the way. It was like a really light hearted, silly and short version of the Good the Bad and the Ugly. Minor work but quite enjoyable.

I haven't been able to muster enough interest to watch Bava's non-horror work, a notable exception being Danger: Diabolik which is what my avatar is from. I'll add Roy Colt to my watchlist
Mar 21, 2017 3:09 AM
0 0
Special Agent Cooper
Little Ash
Is it really that underrated? I know back when I was first looking for some Bava to watch it or Black Sunday ended up being the first one I watched (ie I recall it being listed as amongst his best when/wherever I was looking).

Not sure what your source was, but I haven't seen many list it among his best. Some accuse of it not knowing whether to be horror or arthouse and failing at both, or some such nonsense. I think it's brilliant, and whoever made the list you saw has good taste. I might even go as far as to call it my favorite horror movie of all time. I've seen it at least 20 times at this point

It's been at least a couple of years now, so I can't remember. I mean, probably "somewhere online", which is a source known to be erratic in its taste.

Though googling now for top Mario Bava movies, first result: http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/10-essential-mario-bava-films-every-horror-fan-should-see/2/

Came in at #3 (behind Black Sunday and Rabid Dogs) according to a person online who wrote a list.

Personally I prefer gothic surreal to giallos, so it isn't surprising to me that I like it more than Blood & Black Lace or Bay of Blood.

Mar 21, 2017 3:28 AM
0 0
MKS
Special Agent Cooper
MKS
Thanks for the heads up! They had House of Exorcism on Amazon prime video but I avoided watching it due to the intent of watching it on blu.
I dug Roy Colt by the way. It was like a really light hearted, silly and short version of the Good the Bad and the Ugly. Minor work but quite enjoyable.

I haven't been able to muster enough interest to watch Bava's non-horror work, a notable exception being Danger: Diabolik which is what my avatar is from. I'll add Roy Colt to my watchlist

My friend and I were discussing whether there's been a giallo/spaghetti western crossover and beyond a rudimentary search that yielded few results, I decided to use it as an opportunity to explore the western filmographies of my favorite giallo directors. Interestingly enough, while Bava reigned in his style and turned in a minor work, Fulci cranked his visual talents to 11 for "Massacre Time," which I watched just now. The plot is inconsistent and has some cool flourishes but in terms of action and shot composition, it is among the best spaghetti westerns I've seen and I think it may be my favorite work by Fulci overall. It also has Franco Nero as it's lead and he's giving the film his best icy stare and determination that made Django such a memorable character. I think this was even released as a Django film in some parts of the world. I would love to find a better transfer because, while it's exceptional blocking shined through, it was undermined by the low resolution. Loved it.

However, my search for a giallo/western continues.
Mar 21, 2017 3:37 AM
0 0
Little Ash

It's been at least a couple of years now, so I can't remember. ?I mean, probably "somewhere online", which is a source known to be erratic in its taste.

Though googling now for top Mario Bava movies, first result: http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/10-essential-mario-bava-films-every-horror-fan-should-see/2/

Came in at #3 (behind Black Sunday and Rabid Dogs) according to a person online who wrote a list.

Personally I prefer gothic surreal to giallos, so it isn't surprising to me that I like it more than Blood & Black Lace or Bay of Blood.

I also prefer gothic horror over gialli, although I love both.? I suppose what I really mean when I call it underrated is within the horror genre at large, not just Bava's filmography. I find it to be a beautiful, fascinating movie that only gets better each time I watch it, and I think it deserves far more praise than it has ever received. I love it so much, and when so many horror fans have never even heard of it, let alone seen it, what can I call it other than underrated?
Mar 21, 2017 4:38 AM
0 0
MKS
My friend and I were discussing whether there's been a giallo/spaghetti western crossover and beyond a rudimentary search that yielded few results, I decided to use it as an opportunity to explore the western filmographies of my favorite giallo directors. Interestingly enough, while Bava reigned in his style and turned in a minor work, Fulci cranked his visual talents to 11 for "Massacre Time," which I watched just now. The plot is inconsistent and has some cool flourishes but in terms of action and shot composition, it is among the best spaghetti westerns I've seen and I think it may be my favorite work by Fulci overall. It also has Franco Nero as it's lead and he's giving the film his best icy stare and determination that made Django such a memorable character. I think this was even released as a Django film in some parts of the world. I would love to find a better transfer because, while it's exceptional blocking shined through, it was undermined by the low resolution. Loved it.

Interesting, I've seen a handful of films by Fulci and my impressions have been varied. Most of what I've watched I thought was rather dumb, although I absolutely loved A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, one of the best gialli of those I've seen. Incredible, actually. The man can definitely pull out the stops when he's suitably inspired, and Massacre Time in on my list now too.

A giallo/western hybrid would indeed be cool as hell. I think of what Raoul Walsh accomplished with Pursued, and then the possibilities for mixing westerns with other genres are endless.
Mar 21, 2017 4:46 AM
0 0
Lizard in a Woman's Skin is also one of my favorite giallos. Up there with Sergio Martino's The Case of the Scorpion's Tail.
Mar 21, 2017 6:22 AM
0 0
MKSit had more in common with DePalma's Hitchcock homages than the rest of what I've seen from Argento.

That's a good way to put it.

I still think that, along with Deep Red, it's Argento's best pure giallo, as I've always found Suspiria and his later more surreal, supernatural films as something else entirely from the typical slasher genre.

I guess I could stand to rewatch Inferno as well (probably has been a decade at this point), but I've never been satisfied with it, as much as I wanted to like it given the subject matter. I just am not impressed with what became his Three Mother trilogy in execution.
Mar 22, 2017 5:48 PM
0 0
MKS
Special Agent Cooper
MKS

I've been hoping someone else would watch Four of the Apocalypse (available via Amazon Prime). Not the same type of film as Massacre Time, which I'd describe as a more "typical" Spaghetti Western, with lots of gunplay and revenge and so on. I found FotA to be a pretty unusual film, much more thoughtful and dreamy (?) than the average Western. Maybe the Western equivalent of Conquest, but not as boring. Weird, but I enjoyed it anyway.
Mar 22, 2017 6:16 PM
0 0
Captain Terror
I've been hoping someone else would watch Four of the Apocalypse (available via Amazon Prime). Not the same type of film as Massacre Time, which I'd describe as a more "typical" Spaghetti Western, with lots of gunplay and revenge and so on. I found FotA to be a pretty unusual film, much more thoughtful and dreamy (?) than the average Western. Maybe the Western equivalent of Conquest, but not as boring. Weird, but I enjoyed it anyway.

I was watching it, but stopped after the inevitable rape scene because I didn't care for how it was shot. Maybe I'll go back to it at some point. Thanks to a comment someone had posted on IMDb I had a major part of (I assume) the ending spoiled, and that also made me disinclined to revisit it.
If we're talking weird 70s/Italian/Western/horror, I'll again recommend Django Kill . . . If you live, shoot!?Strange and dreamy and subversive, with some truly memorable horrifying moments. My favorite being (MODERATE SPOILERS) a scene where a man is shot and taken to be cared for, but when the people taking care of him realize he was shot with a bullet made of gold, they literally tear him apart trying to get a hold of it.(/SPOILERS)
Have any of your seen the Stakeland?sequel (called either Stake Land 2?or The Stakelander)? I've read a few things that say it isn't good. But it's got the same cast that I loved so much in the first movie! Any thoughts? If it's truly bad I'll pass, as I have such fond feelings about the first one. But if it's anywhere in decent territory, I'll want to check it out.
Mar 23, 2017 2:51 AM
0 0
MKS
Captain Terror
MKS
Special Agent Cooper
MKS

I will be watching it soon hopefully. I am currently debating on whether I should watch it on prime or the blue underground DVD. It depends on the prime transfer, really.
I'll also endorse Tak's recommendation. Django Kill took me some time to warm up to as I was expecting a traditional spaghetti western and got something that skewed closer to Jodorowsky than to Leone.
JJ- Are you saying Mother of Tears isn't worth a damn?
Mar 23, 2017 3:49 AM
0 0
Takoma1
Captain Terror

I was watching it, but stopped after the inevitable rape scene because I didn't care for how it was shot. Maybe I'll go back to it at some point. Thanks to a comment someone had posted on IMDb I had a major part of (I assume) the ending spoiled, and that also made me disinclined to revisit it.
If we're talking weird 70s/Italian/Western/horror, I'll again recommend Django Kill . . . If you live, shoot!?Strange and dreamy and subversive, with some truly memorable horrifying moments. My favorite being (MODERATE SPOILERS) a scene where a man is shot and taken to be cared for, but when the people taking care of him realize he was shot with a bullet made of gold, they literally tear him apart trying to get a hold of it.(/SPOILERS)
Have any of your seen the Stakeland?sequel (called either Stake Land 2?or The Stakelander)? I've read a few things that say it isn't good. But it's got the same cast that I loved so much in the first movie! Any thoughts? If it's truly bad I'll pass, as I have such fond feelings about the first one. But if it's anywhere in decent territory, I'll want to check it out.

I spent most of the movie thinking it was kind of corny, especially the light rock score with the extremely literal lyrics. "You're riding your horrrrrrsesssss through the deserrrrrt.....".
It's the last half hour or so where things take a turn into left field. A certain plot point is handled in such a sensitive manner that it kind of redeems the unpleasant scene you mentioned. At this point in the film it becomes probably the least macho Western I can think of. I don't think whatever spoiler you might've read in that comment would be enough to ruin the movie. It's not like there's any big surprises that I can think of.
(And I was not aware of a Stake Land sequel. I liked the first one too.)
Mar 23, 2017 4:18 AM
0 0
?MKS
I will be watching it soon hopefully. I am currently debating on whether I should watch it on prime or the blue underground DVD. It depends on the prime transfer, really.

I just skimmed through certain scenes to refresh my memory, and found two versions via my Amazon Stick. One version's a couple of minutes longer than the other, not sure what's going on there.
Mar 23, 2017 4:21 AM
0 0
MKS
Captain Terror
?MKS

I just skimmed through certain scenes to refresh my memory, and found two versions via my Amazon Stick. One version's a couple of minutes longer than the other, not sure what's going on there.

How was the AV quality? If it's not at least good, I'll grab the DVD. I've been having good luck with Blue Underground transfers.
Mar 23, 2017 4:26 AM
0 0
MKS
Captain Terror
?MKS

How was the AV quality? If it's not at least good, I'll grab the DVD. I've been having good luck with Blue Underground transfers.

It's fine, but I'm sure the DVD's better. Amazon's got some really cruddy prints but this one looks better than most.
Mar 23, 2017 4:45 AM
0 0
MKSJJ- Are you saying Mother of Tears isn't worth a damn?

I'm saying that it's depressing to have to put a grading curve on Argento's recent films, but although Mother of Tears isn't as aggressively shitty as something like Giallo or Dracula, it's still plenty disappointing.
Mar 24, 2017 1:46 PM
0 0
Takoma1
Captain Terror

Stakeland 2 isn't great, but if you like the characters, it's worth a casual watch. I folded laundry and replied to some work emails and it was entertaining enough to engage me if a bit forgettable.
I'd give it maybe a 6.
Mar 24, 2017 2:15 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
MKSit had more in common with DePalma's Hitchcock homages than the rest of what I've seen from Argento.

That's a good way to put it.

I still think that, along with Deep Red, it's Argento's best pure giallo, as I've always found Suspiria and his later more surreal, supernatural films as something else entirely from the typical slasher genre.

I guess I could stand to rewatch Inferno as well (probably has been a decade at this point), but I've never been satisfied with it, as much as I wanted to like it given the subject matter. ?I just am not impressed with what became his Three Mother trilogy in execution.

I think your willingness to rewatch it has made me decide, for sure, that I'm gonna watch it again this October. In fact, I think I might do Deep Red as my pre-October thriller/horror kinda movie, then watch Inferno and all three of Fulci's Gates Of Hell trilogy. Which I really wanna win the lottery and remake.

And I agree with you, the potential in the Three Mothers Trilogy was so great and the product devolved exponentially with each entry.
Mar 24, 2017 3:24 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
MKSJJ- Are you saying Mother of Tears isn't worth a damn?

I'm saying that it's depressing to have to put a grading curve on Argento's recent films, but although Mother of Tears isn't as aggressively shitty as something like Giallo or Dracula, it's still plenty disappointing.

Argento made worse movies than Mother of Tears?!!!
That is literally one of the 10 worst movies I've ever seen. It remains my standard-bearer against which to judge badness.
Mar 24, 2017 3:29 PM
0 0
Fiver

Stakeland 2 isn't great, but if you like the characters, it's worth a casual watch. I folded laundry and replied to some work emails and it was entertaining enough to engage me if a bit forgettable.
I'd give it maybe a 6.

Alright--I'll probably give it a go then.
When movies are part of a series, I tend to kind of fold them in with each other, so that one bad entry can kind of sour me on the overall story. If it was abysmal I probably wanted to skip it.
I've been watching The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave. It's okay. I did have one "Damn, girl!" moment as one potential victim hustled down a flight of stairs in some ridiculous high-heeled boots. She was booking it. I was like "YES!". Of course, her escape ended in a totally asinine fashion, but for a few minutes I was like "Why aren't more escaping-from-killer sequences done like this?!". The movie has some decent humor to it, but the pacing is a little sluggish and the acting is pretty sub-par.
Not strictly horror, per se, but I watched Maleficent?last night and quite enjoyed it. I was most looking forward to the sequence where the green fireball lures Aurora into the fireplace. And it was just not even close to how terrifying and atmospheric that same sequence is in the animated version. I did love some of the ways that the movie inverted the story (such as having the thorny iron "brair" wall in front of the castle as opposed to Phillip fighting through Maleficent's wall of thorns). I wish it had gone for full-on horror/thriller/drama. The need to soften the story with humor really took away from a wonderfully dark and interesting story.
Mar 24, 2017 10:35 PM
0 0
I just read that Tomas Milian, who starred in Django, Kill . . . if you live, shoot!?passed away.

I think it is the perfect time for you to all check out that bizarro masterpiece. Believe me--it's the kind of movie that, after you watch it, love it or hate it, you will have something you want to discuss.?
Mar 24, 2017 11:25 PM
0 0