Science Fiction Movie Club

Original Poster
I noticed that there is a club for action movies and horror movies. They are all pretty good clubs. After reading them, however, they inspired me to make a club for my favorite movie genre: Science Fiction.

6 Science Fiction movies are in my top 20 favorite films of all time list. Here are their spots on it.

#17 Dredd (2012)
#16 Moon (2009)
#13 The Thing (1982)
#5 Inception (2010)
#4 Sunshine (2007)
#1 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

I'll love to discuss these films with you guys, but we can also discuss other sci-fi movies that you guys enjoy or are interested in talking about.

Anyways, let's all board the spaceship and let's blast off!
Dec 1, 2015 2:40 PM
1 0
I recently really enjoyed the low-key sci-fi drama Advantageous, but I feel like no one else has seen it. I thought that it was really haunting and that the main three actresses (as well as James Urbaniak and Jennifer Ehle in supporting roles) were excellent. Along with Predestination it's one of my favorite recent philosophical sci-fi films.

It's interesting that you have Moon and 2001 on your list. One of my favorite things about Moon was the way that it flipped the whole trope of the evil AI computer personality by turning Spacey's computer into an ally of Rockwell's character instead of an enemy. An example of a movie where I'm really glad I walked in knowing basically nothing about the plot.
Dec 1, 2015 2:52 PM
0 0
Takoma1I recently really enjoyed the low-key sci-fi drama Advantageous, but I feel like no one else has seen it. I thought that it was really haunting and that the main three actresses (as well as James Urbaniak and Jennifer Ehle in supporting roles) were excellent. Along with Predestination it's one of my favorite recent philosophical sci-fi films.

It's interesting that you have Moon and 2001 on your list. One of my favorite things about Moon was the way that it flipped the whole trope of the evil AI computer personality by turning Spacey's computer into an ally of Rockwell's character instead of an enemy. An example of a movie where I'm really glad I walked in knowing basically nothing about the plot.

I really like movies such as Moon which are very easy to pick up on without knowing much about their plots. It makes them very easy to follow and I usually enjoy them more when they are easy to pick up on.
Dec 1, 2015 2:59 PM
0 0
How about Dredd? Boy, did that come out of nowhere and turned out to be pretty awesome. Hoping for a sequel.
Dec 1, 2015 3:38 PM
0 0
Death ProofHow about Dredd? Boy, did that come out of nowhere and turned out to be pretty awesome. Hoping for a sequel.

Boy am I still irritated that I didn't see that in the theater. By the time I was tuned into the positive buzz it was generating, it was too late. A sequel would be amazing--and with the goodwill generated by the first movie, I'd think it would do decent business at the box office.
Dec 1, 2015 3:41 PM
0 0
My favorite scene from Dredd is this one: (spoilers) http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GicpGf3whJg

It is a very satisfying end to the movie and it is a very poignant villain death. Overall, Dredd fulfilled all of my expectations and I really hope that they make a sequel. Unfortunately, I think that they won't do it as I heard that Judge Dredd 3D was a failure.

If they were ever to make a sequel, however, it would probably do very good at the box office considering the amount of popularity Dredd 3D has right now. It's a cult classic.
Dec 1, 2015 4:02 PM
0 0
MKS
Takoma1I recently really enjoyed the low-key sci-fi drama Advantageous, but I feel like no one else has seen it. I thought that it was really haunting and that the main three actresses (as well as James Urbaniak and Jennifer Ehle in supporting roles) were excellent. Along with Predestination it's one of my favorite recent philosophical sci-fi films.

I don't think HAL is meant to be perceived as evil at all. I thought he was merely shown to be value his own life in the same way man does, effectively making him a fairly tragic figure. 

Anywho, I'm down with this thread. I'll go look at my recent watch list and see what I can toss out. 

Love Dredd. Rewatched it with my brother in law on Thanksgiving as has become tradition. Great stuff. 
Dec 1, 2015 4:08 PM
0 0
Takoma1
Death ProofHow about Dredd? Boy, did that come out of nowhere and turned out to be pretty awesome. Hoping for a sequel.

Boy am I still irritated that I didn't see that in the theater. By the time I was tuned into the positive buzz it was generating, it was too late. A sequel would be amazing--and with the goodwill generated by the first movie, I'd think it would do decent business at the box office.

Same - I think a lot of people probably had a bad taste in their mouth from Stallone's version.

Should have known Karl Urban would pull it off. The guy is a sci fi god.

Dec 1, 2015 4:12 PM
0 0
Master King SexingtonI don't think HAL is meant to be perceived as evil at all. I thought he was merely shown to be value his own life in the same way man does, effectively making him a fairly tragic figure.

I agree HAL is a tragic figure, but not out of self-interest.  His human-learning included duplicity, but this led to something more like a psychotic break.  Everything after that was to cover up the white lie of the bad circuit, which led to paranoia and was self-destructive instead of self-preserving.

Probably a spoiler, but seriously, people need to see this movie already.
Dec 1, 2015 4:21 PM
0 0
I think that Dredd would've sold better if only its trailer looked more promising. When I watched it, it looked like it was going to follow in the footsteps of Stallone's version and it didn't look like the faithful adaptation that the fans were hoping for. It would've sold better if they made the trailer for the movie look more dark and violent.
Dec 1, 2015 4:21 PM
0 0
I'm game for this thread.

Also, count me in as a huge fan of Moon.

As for Dredd, I thought it was ok but that's it. I think I didn't dig it as much as others because of its similarities with The Raid, which I saw first.
Dec 1, 2015 4:23 PM
0 0
Master King Sexington

I don't think HAL is meant to be perceived as evil at all. I thought he was merely shown to be value his own life in the same way man does, effectively making him a fairly tragic figure. 

I don't think that HAL is evil, per se, but he is certainly an antagonist if you consider Dullea to be the hero/protagonist. But I do think that he set a precedent for the calm-voiced, scheming, seemingly malevolent AI who starts out benign and helpful and ends up being controlling and murderous. I think that 2001 certainly was copied (and simplified) in terms of that particular man-versus-machine dynamic. I felt like Moon was a refreshing departure from what is now an overly-predictable plot element. The AI in Moon is essentially the computer version of the corporate stooge who discovers, partway through the film, that he has a soul after all and can't stand by anymore and watch unnecessary and cruel suffering. It's a different twist on the computer-with-a-personality trope. I can't recall another genuinely benevolent AI character in recent movies.
Dec 1, 2015 4:25 PM
0 0
Takoma1
Master King Sexington

I don't think that HAL is evil, per se, but he is certainly an antagonist if you consider Dullea to be the hero/protagonist. But I do think that he set a precedent for the calm-voiced, scheming, seemingly malevolent AI who starts out benign and helpful and ends up being controlling and murderous. I think that 2001 certainly was copied (and simplified) in terms of that particular man-versus-machine dynamic. I felt like Moon was a refreshing departure from what is now an overly-predictable plot element. The AI in Moon is essentially the computer version of the corporate stooge who discovers, partway through the film, that he has a soul after all and can't stand by anymore and watch unnecessary and cruel suffering. It's a different twist on the computer-with-a-personality trope. I can't recall another genuinely benevolent AI character in recent movies.

I can agree with you there. HAL is an antagonist in the film. I just wouldn't describe him too much as evil. He was just trying to defend his life just like how a human would defend his/her own. He was a slightly tragic character.
Dec 1, 2015 4:31 PM
0 0
Popcorn Reviews
Takoma1
Master King Sexington

I can agree with you there. HAL is an antagonist in the film. I just wouldn't describe him too much as evil. He was just trying to defend his life just like how a human would defend his/her own. He was a slightly tragic character.

HAL wasn't evil. He was insane. The orders given to him contradicted his programming to protect the crew and it set him off the deep end.

insane =/= evil

Dec 1, 2015 4:33 PM
0 0
Popcorn ReviewsHe was just trying to defend his life just like how a human would defend his/her own. He was a slightly tragic character.

How was he trying to defend his life by lying about the bad circuit?
Dec 1, 2015 4:34 PM
0 0
Death Proof
Popcorn Reviews
Takoma1
Master King Sexington

HAL wasn't evil. He was insane. The orders given to him contradicted his programming to protect the crew and it set him off the deep end.

insane =/= evil

I know, I don't think he's evil too. However, I would consider him to be an antagonist though.
Dec 1, 2015 4:36 PM
0 0
Takoma1character in recent movies.

Dec 1, 2015 4:36 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Takoma1character in recent movies.

What movie is that from?
Dec 1, 2015 4:38 PM
0 0
A.I. - a fantastic sci-fi film.
Dec 1, 2015 4:39 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
Popcorn ReviewsHe was just trying to defend his life just like how a human would defend his/her own. He was a slightly tragic character.

How was he trying to defend his life by lying about the bad circuit?

The "lie" was the error in his system, I suppose. But after realizing that Bowman and Poole were planning to shut him down, he lured them back outside to kill them as a way to defend himself.
Dec 1, 2015 4:44 PM
0 0