Action Movie Club pt 1: Full Throttle

MKSit's of no surprise that it shares many visual and thematic similarities to the Dark Knight Returns, released the same year.

It was pretty fitting Peter Weller played Batman in the animated adaptation.
MKSI consider RoboCop on par with Dr. Strangelove as essential Hollywood satire.

Yup.
Sep 24, 2017 2:00 AM
0 0
MKS
Rock
MKS
Deschain
MKSI'm debating on watching the remaining 7 YP films because I feel guilty having let them sit or binging Godzilla films so I can watch my just arrived copy of Shin Godzilla.

I feel sick and this is coming off one of the most irritating, upsetting ?weeks I've had in a long time so I want to make the most out of not being able to enjoy my weekend. I feel like YP may demand too much attention.

Shin Godzilla is damn good. I've never seen boardroom scenes shot with such care and desire to make boring guys in suits compelling.

I was hoping to have worked my way through the franchise by the time it came out on Blu-ray but I've been slacking. Aside from a few OOP titles like Vs. Mechagodzilla, Son of and vs. Biollante, I've got them all. I'm about halfway through the franchise as of now.

I want to get every reference

I watched a bunch of the Showa era ones a while back and liked most of them. I picked up a copy of Godzilla 1984 (which I think Hipster Thor is big on), so I'll probably check that out next month (monster movies are close enough to horror imo).

The only TohoGodzilla film I feel any real dislike for is All Monsters Attack, which is a cynical children's film using edited together footage from previous films. I've seen about half the Showa and half the Heisei flicks and they all offer SOMETHING that appeals to me.
Right now, I'm sitting on copies of:
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla 1984
Godzilla vs. Destroyah
Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
Godzilla Tokyo SOS
Godzilla Final Wars
Shin Godzilla
Sep 24, 2017 3:14 AM
0 0
I just watched Guy Ritchie's King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. I didn't think this classic fantasy tale of sword and sorcery would work if all the characters were cockneyed soccer hooligans but I gotta admit it was pretty entertaining. Some great camera work and cinematography combined with fast-paced fights and chases kept everything moving at a clip. They show how the sword got into the stone in a creative and interesting way. Littlefinger was in it because of course he was. The third act got a little too CGI-happy. I'd be down for a sequel that'll never happen because nobody saw this movie.
Sep 24, 2017 5:12 AM
0 0
MKS
I've been wanting to see King Arthur. I tend to find Ritchie's films fun at a minimum. I don't trust Charlie Hunnam as an actor but if he's fighting more than talking, it just may work.

Godzilla update:

Godzilla vs. Hedorah: Plodding and harmed by a low budget and poor villain costume but unique in execution and garish style. It's the heaviest in theme and social commentary since the original and it's no mystery that the director had a hand in and influenced Gareth Edward's flick.

Godzilla vs. Gigan: A childhood favorite that remains a favorite. A film that captures the sum average of the franchise and pound for pound a great representation of what the franchise offers.

Godzilla vs. Megalon: A childhood favorite that did not remain a favorite. Godzilla crosses the threshold to being a pure super hero and looks more adorable than ever. It's still fun in that supremely campy way and it is intriguing that the films maintained the sense of very Japanese guilt as to the situation they find themselves in with scenes of rationalizing that Megalon wouldn't have been sent if "we were not experimenting with nukes." It's a fascinating aspect that seems omnipresent in that Godzilla and the other kaiju are never allowed to be fully blamed for their destruction but they are rather manifestations of human hubris and failure and serve to humble mankind. So far, there's never even a sense of nationalism or blaming others nations for the struggles, even in the original, which is often seen as an allegory for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Gonna watch Terror of Mechagodzilla next. I wish I had a copy of the original Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, as that was my favorite as a child, but it's gone out of print so I'll just have to cling to my memories for now and plod on.
Sep 24, 2017 7:36 PM
0 0
I'm always happy to see some Godzilla vs. Gigan love, MKS. I feel like that one gets a bad rap. It might be the most fun Godzilla of the entire bunch. I lose my shit when Godzilla bosses Anguirus around in that strange voice. The characters are colorful and memorable. Gigan is a hilariously "edgy" kaiju. I even love the recycled footage; it's like watching the same house go by three times in a Hanna-Barbera cartoon.
Sep 24, 2017 7:49 PM
0 0
MKS
Spencie ReturnsI'm always happy to see some Godzilla vs. Gigan love, MKS. I feel like that one gets a bad rap. It might be the most fun Godzilla of the entire bunch. I lose my shit when Godzilla bosses Anguirus around in that strange voice. The characters are colorful and memorable. Gigan is a hilariously "edgy" kaiju. I even love the recycled footage; it's like watching the same house go by three times in a Hanna-Barbera cartoon.

Indeed! I feel like it implements the recycled footage a lot better than the other Godzilla films and really exemplifies the eras resourcefulness. Conversely, Megalon steals a scene from Gigan and doesn't go through the trouble to match it or maintain continuity (when Gigan cuts Godzilla in a bloody spash).
It's the right amount of camp, fun and competence. I think it's just unfairly placed between Hedorah and Megalon.
Right now, my favorite Showa era Godzilla film that isn't the original is Invasion of Astro Monster. I like my Godzilla like I like my Batman. Either absurdly serious or just absurd. IoAM is the latter and it's such a blast.
Sep 24, 2017 8:07 PM
0 0
Invasion of Astro-Monster is awesome, but I think I prefer the original Ghidorah movie a little because it works great as a crossover/team up movie for Godzilla, Mothra & Rodan. Invasion of Astro-Monster is basically to Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster what Evil Dead II is to the original Evil Dead; a sort of retelling/sequel on steroids.

If you are sitting on a copy of Destoroyah then you definitely need to get around to seeing it soon. That's my favorite of all the Godzilla's I've seen. The only ones I'm missing out on are Megalon, Ebirah and The Return of Godzilla. I also owe Son of Godzilla a rewatch, haven't seen it since I was a wee boy.
Sep 24, 2017 8:40 PM
0 0
MKS
Spencie ReturnsInvasion of Astro-Monster is awesome, but I think I prefer the original Ghidorah movie a little because it works great as a crossover/team up movie for Godzilla, Mothra & Rodan. Invasion of Astro-Monster is basically to Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster what Evil Dead II is to the original Evil Dead; a sort of retelling/sequel on steroids.

If you are sitting on a copy of Destoroyah then you definitely need to get around to seeing it soon. That's my favorite of all the Godzilla's I've seen. The only ones I'm missing out on are Megalon, Ebirah and The Return of Godzilla. I also owe Son of Godzilla a rewatch, haven't seen it since I was a wee boy.

And like Evil Dead 2, I think it's a vast improvement over Ghidorah because it takes everything that works and puts it in a crazier context. It's one of the few Godzilla films that really seems to care about it's plot and while I saw it's "twist" coming, the fact that it had one was extremely welcome. I'm a fan of the "reveal" and it was neat watching a Showa era that didn't put virtually all it's cards on the table from the jump off.
Also, and ?kaiju fans may lynch me for this but I'm not crazy about Mothra. Her powers are boring to look at, she can't interact with the others that well, and I hate the tiny twins and their Jigglypuff esque songs. Removing Mothra for Astro Monster was a wonderful choice.
Destroyah is the very soon. I've only got Return of Godzilla to watch before it.
Ebirah is decent and Megalon has some really silly bits, including a flying kick that's been memed a million times at this point that is worth the price of admission. Ebirah has a really cheap, very respectable Blu-ray that has the original Japanese audio if you don't mind dropping around $8 on Amazon for a blind buy.
Sep 24, 2017 8:57 PM
0 0
MKS
Terror of Mechagodzilla was fine. It was a middle of the road Showa era flick. Mechagodzilla remains a fun villain and delivers some of the more impressive destruction of the franchise to that point but the co-villain Titanosaur was pretty derpy looking and was more comedic than threatening and undermines the apparent power and importance it is supposed to have. It ends the era with a shrug.

The Return of Godzilla aka Godzilla 1985 is marginally better though far more ambitious in technology and themes. Having seen multiple Heisei era films, this film was a big missing puzzle piece in that I didn't realize it rebooted the franchise. It was a return of the imposing, force of nature Godzilla and a rejection of the heroic, buddy Godzilla that occupied the last handful of Showa. It was admirable in those goals as well as the various methods used to make Godzilla more real and larger than ever. That said, it's very dry and it's seriousness doesn't feel matched by the stakes presented in the film. It forces one to compare it to the original by employing similar techniques of cross cutting scenes of city wide panic but when the destruction kicks in, the cities seem like ghost towns. This harms immersion in believing these are real and not miniatures. Were it more tongue in cheek, these issues would be forgiven but for being asked to be taken seriously, it doesn't go far enough. For instance, there's a scene which echoes the original in which Godzilla picks up a train cart. It intercuts his grabbing the miniature with the passengers' reactions, in one of the few instances it does so, but chooses to end the reaction shots with an aloof fella just smiling at Godzilla. It deflates the tension with it's oddness and when Godzilla nonchalantly drops it, there is no cut back to the fear of free falling to juxtapose it or the corpses after it hits the ground. Just the miniature dropped. A smile then nothing... It implies that the film makers are perhaps either not taking it as seriously as the tone implies or they don't understand how to take it seriously.

Either way, it was solid enough but also middle of the pack despite being a near polar opposite depiction of the green guy to Terror.
Sep 25, 2017 12:33 AM
0 0
Invasion of Astro-Monster is good stuff. I like the conception of the aliens as a monolithic hive-mind. It kind of begs reading a metaphor into it, even if the movie doesn't pursue it that seriously. It's also much better paced than Ghidorah while offering more of the same action and doing it better.

Terror of Mechagodzilla was pretty dry, although Godzilla's entrances are pretty badass and it has one great line ("you're a robot but I still love you" or something to that effect). Godzilla vs Mechagozilla was also one of the two I watched a lot as a kid (the other was King Kong vs Godzilla, which I've been meaning to revisit), so it's disappointing that it's not easier to find.

I guess I'll keep my expectations in check for Godzilla 1984 and make a point to check out at least one other Heisei entry next month.
Sep 25, 2017 1:21 AM
0 0
MKS
RockInvasion of Astro-Monster is good stuff. I like the conception of the aliens as a monolithic hive-mind. It kind of begs reading a metaphor into it, even if the movie doesn't pursue it that seriously. It's also much better paced than Ghidorah while offering more of the same action and doing it better.

Terror of Mechagodzilla was pretty dry, although Godzilla's entrances are pretty badass and it has one great line ("you're a robot but I still love you" or something to that effect). Godzilla vs Mechagozilla was also one of the two I watched a lot as a kid (the other was King Kong vs Godzilla, which I've been meaning to revisit), so it's disappointing that it's not easier to find.

I guess I'll keep my expectations in check for Godzilla 1984 and make a point to check out at least one other Heisei entry next month.

I really don't have any real criticism of IOAM. It's just entirely too much fub.
The line was "You're a Cyborg but I still love you" and that was a hell of a moment. That it was preceded by the weird zombie face reveal was icing in the cake.
Have you not seen any of the other Heisei flicks? I don't wanna seem too down on RoG but it is more admirable than successful.
Sep 25, 2017 1:44 AM
0 0
MKS
RockInvasion of Astro-Monster is good stuff. I like the conception of the aliens as a monolithic hive-mind. It kind of begs reading a metaphor into it, even if the movie doesn't pursue it that seriously. It's also much better paced than Ghidorah while offering more of the same action and doing it better.

I really don't have any real criticism of IOAM. It's just entirely too much fub.
The line was "You're a Cyborg but I still love you" and that was a hell of a moment. That it was preceded by the weird zombie face reveal was icing in the cake.
Have you not seen any of the other Heisei flicks? I don't wanna seem too down on RoG but it is more admirable than successful.

Nah, I'm entirely a Heisei (and Millenium) n00b. I've only seen some of the Showa era ones as well as the Emmerich and Evans films.

As for recent action viewings, The Sicilian Clan is reasonably entertaining. It gathers up 3 of the manlier men in French cinema and has them do a bunch of crime-related stuff (Alain Delon and Jean Gabin do the committing, Lino Ventura does the solving), so if that sounds like it's up your alley, you'll probably enjoy it. The movie's pretty leisurely in tone and pace, which is fine except for the weirdly mean-spirited ending. It's also strange to see Delon playing a relatively sloppy criminal - he played competent so well in his Melville movies that seeing his character get in trouble because he can't keep it in his pants is kind of jarring. The movie does have a Morricone score in its favour - not one of his best, but it's still Morricone.
Sep 25, 2017 2:11 AM
0 0
MKS
Rock
MKS

Nah, I'm entirely a Heisei (and Millenium) n00b. I've only seen some of the Showa era ones as well as the Emmerich and Evans films.

As for recent action viewings, The Sicilian Clan is reasonably entertaining. It gathers up 3 of the manlier men in French cinema and has them do a bunch of crime-related stuff (Alain Delon and Jean Gabin do the committing, Lino Ventura does the solving), so if that sounds like it's up your alley, you'll probably enjoy it. The movie's pretty leisurely in tone and pace, which is fine except for the weirdly mean-spirited ending. It's also strange to see Delon playing a relatively sloppy criminal - he played competent so well in his Melville movies that seeing his character get in trouble because he can't keep it in his pants is kind of jarring. The movie does have a Morricone score in its favour - not one of his best, but it's still Morricone.

I've seen 5 of them and they're all pretty entertaining. They're a lot crazier, with things like butt brains and Terminator rip offs but have generally much higher production value. I'm particularly fond of the insanity that is Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. It gives a new origin to the titular villains but explores Godzilla's history and just goes bananas with plot twists. It reminds me a lot of Invasion of Astro Monster.
I'm unfamiliar with Sicilian Clan but I'll keep an eye out. I recently bought a Fernando Di Leo set. May hold off on it till after October.
Sep 25, 2017 2:28 AM
0 0
MKS
Rock
MKS

I've seen 5 of them and they're all pretty entertaining. They're a lot crazier, with things like butt brains and Terminator rip offs but have generally much higher production value. I'm particularly fond of the insanity that is Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. It gives a new origin to the titular villains but explores Godzilla's history and just goes bananas with plot twists. It reminds me a lot of Invasion of Astro Monster.
I'm unfamiliar with Sicilian Clan but I'll keep an eye out. I recently bought a Fernando Di Leo set. May hold off on it till after October.

I have two Fernando di Leo box sets but barely sank into either for some reason. I will vouch for The Boss, The Italian Connection and Shoot First, Die Later being good/very good if you're into that sort of thing.
Sep 25, 2017 2:33 AM
0 0
MKS
Rock
MKS
Rock
MKS

I have two Fernando di Leo box sets but barely sank into either for some reason. I will vouch for The Boss, The Italian Connection and Shoot First, Die Later being good/very good if you're into that sort of thing.

The Raro video blus? I'm probably gonna splurge on the second when my next paycheck hits.
Sep 25, 2017 2:37 AM
0 0
Rock
MKS

I definitely wasn't putting down on IOAM, it's honestly in my top 10. I just always feel compelled to compare it to Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster. It's nice in the original that Ghidorah is just a natural force of destruction, rather than an alien puppet.

The Showa era movies are consistently more enjoyable, but I think the Heisei suits are the best in the series. What are you guys' favorite Godzilla movies? My top five would look something like...

5.) Godzilla vs. Gigan
4.) Gojira
3.) Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
2.) Shin Godzilla
1.) Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
Sep 25, 2017 2:31 PM
0 0
MKS
I watched Destroyah and dug it a lot. The ending was more effectively shocking and emotional than I had anticipated. Very interested in what Godzilla 2000 brings to the table in light of that climax.

A tentative top 5 would likely look something like this:

1. Godzilla (original)
2. Invasion of Astro Monster
3. Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
4. Godzilla vs. Gigan
5. Godzilla (2014)/Godzilla vs. Destroyah (depends on 3D being available)

I'm sure this list is blasphemy to many. It's hard to decide though. Those were just the ones I found to be most effective or entertaining.
Sep 26, 2017 12:07 AM
0 0
MKS
Rock
MKS
Rock
MKS

The Raro video blus? I'm probably gonna splurge on the second when my next paycheck hits.

Yessir. The look pretty nice to my humble uneducated eyes so I'd say they're worth picking up assuming the price isn't outrageous.
Sep 26, 2017 1:43 AM
0 0