Action Movie Club pt 1: Full Throttle

MKS
Original Poster
Horror movies have their own thread (and what a great thread) but I, as one of RT's most passionate action film lovers, think that action films deserve their own club.

If anyone else wants to utterly rip off the thread and do movie castings or review links, let's work that out.

Right now, I recently rewatched the Raid 2 and the 36th Chamber of Shaolin, as well as watched Full Contact for the first time and would love to discuss them but hell, I just wanna talk action films!

Who else is down?
Aug 11, 2015 11:16 PM
0 0
The Killer and Hard Boiled are two of the best foreign action films I have ever witnessed. Hollywood wishes it could emulate them. The 80's and 90's are full of action gems though.

The Raid and The Raid 2 are definitely the finest actions films I have seen in the 21st Century. I look forward to the Raid 3, which might not be out until 2017.

Oh and there will be an American remake of The Raid...
Aug 12, 2015 1:54 AM
0 0
I'm in big  time.

I recently watched Mad Max: Fury Road and am convinced it is one of the best action films of the decade. Just wow. I haven't seen The Raid 2 but must get on it. As MKS knows I am a big fan of Asian action films of all sorts.

This thread will be massive.
Aug 12, 2015 2:07 AM
0 0
MKS
PsychoThe Killer and Hard Boiled are two of the best foreign action films I have ever witnessed. Hollywood wishes it could emulate them. The 80's and 90's are full of action gems though.

The Raid and The Raid 2 are definitely the finest actions films I have seen in the 21st Century. I look forward to the Raid 3, which might not be out until 2017.

If you love Woo shoot em ups, I highly recommend the films of Ringo Lam. City on Fire and Full Contact are absolute must sees in the genre. He's not quite as operatic as Woo in his melodrama, nor is he quite as ambitious in scope, but he's far more vicious and really pits his characters through the grinder. 
The remake of the Raid was indefinitely postponed. So that's good news. 
PTL- I'm glad you came around and watched Fury Road. If you don't at least like the Raid 2, I'll be shocked. It's like an HK undercover cop film (imagine Infernal Affairs), with crazy, brutal, and elaborate fight sequences. It also has one of the best chase scenes I've seen. 
I've blind bought copies of the Admiral, Taking of Tiger Mountain, the Rebel, and Seven Swords that are aching to be watched. Any opinions on those?
Aug 12, 2015 2:14 AM
0 0
Red
I've never been a big fan of Ringo Lam. I don't know, his movies just never grabbed me.

Bullet to the Head is probably Woo's best film, along with The Killer and Face/Off.
Aug 12, 2015 2:25 AM
0 0
MKS
RedI've never been a big fan of Ringo Lam. I don't know, his movies just never grabbed me.

Bullet to the Head is probably Woo's best film, along with The Killer and Face/Off.

Have you seen City on Fire or Full Contact? I'm going to be watching Prison on Fire sooner than later and am also planning a rewatch of Twin Dragons. 
Bullet to the Head is certainly Woo's most ambitious pistol opera but I'm reluctant to call it his best. It's a ton of great stuff thrown together but I feel like it's a collection of ideas that don't really cohease into a truly accomplished whole. It does answer the question of "what of A Better Tomorrow, the Deer Hunter, and Mean Streets had sex?"
For Woo's best, I'm torn between Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow. 
Aug 12, 2015 2:32 AM
0 0
Red
Master King Sexington
RedI've never been a big fan of Ringo Lam. I don't know, his movies just never grabbed me.

Have you seen City on Fire or Full Contact? I'm going to be watching Prison on Fire sooner than later and am also planning a rewatch of Twin Dragons. 
Bullet to the Head is certainly Woo's most ambitious pistol opera but I'm reluctant to call it his best. It's a ton of great stuff thrown together but I feel like it's a collection of ideas that don't really cohease into a truly accomplished whole. It does answer the question of "what of A Better Tomorrow, the Deer Hunter, and Mean Streets had sex?"
For Woo's best, I'm torn between Hard Boiled and A Better Tomorrow. 

Yeah, I've seen those two. They just didn't grab me the way Woo's did.

Admittedly, it's been years since I've seen Bullet to the Head, but I remember thinking it was my favorite of his. Still waiting for a decent release of his HK films.
Aug 12, 2015 3:04 AM
0 0
Yo. 
Aug 12, 2015 3:24 AM
0 0
Master King Sexington
the 36th Chamber of Shaolin

I was thinking of going on a Kung Fu binge before Halloween season sets in. It's something I have zero knowledge about, so if anyone has any recommendations, let 'er rip.

Aug 12, 2015 4:03 AM
0 0
Some little-known Asian action movies I enjoyed:

Breaking News
Kill Zone
The Man from Nowhere
New World
Aug 12, 2015 6:21 AM
0 0
Master King Sexington
PsychoThe Killer and Hard Boiled are two of the best foreign action films I have ever witnessed. Hollywood wishes it could emulate them. The 80's and 90's are full of action gems though.

If you love Woo shoot em ups, I highly recommend the films of Ringo Lam. City on Fire and Full Contact are absolute must sees in the genre. He's not quite as operatic as Woo in his melodrama, nor is he quite as ambitious in scope, but he's far more vicious and really pits his characters through the grinder. 

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations.
I really wish Woo would do a proper R rated action film these days, but those days might be over for him. Face/Off in the 90's was his last true R rated action film and I liked it.
Keanu Reeves in John Wick showed a glimmer of hope in the action genre but left me wanting them to crank up the action even more when compared to John Woo/Chow Yun-Fat in their prime.
Hopefully the sequel amps up  the action.
That is good news, their remake wouldn't compare to the original Raid.
Aug 12, 2015 8:45 AM
0 0
MKS
SkyDog
Master King Sexington

I was thinking of going on a Kung Fu binge before Halloween season sets in. It's something I have zero knowledge about, so if anyone has any recommendations, let 'er rip.

Well, sir, it sounds like you have come to the right place. Let me whip something together real fast and I'll break it into two categories:

Shaw Brothers: the two most important and famous directors for Shaw are Chang Cheh, who really established the Wuxia genre as a powerhouse and Lau Kar Leung aka Liu Chia Liang depending dialect, who is my personal favorite choreographer, barely edging out Yuen Wo Ping. I'll toss in some other random titles but their works will comprise most of the list. 

Come Drink With Me 
Golden Swallow
Magnificent Trio
The One Armed Swordsman 
Return of the One Armed Swordsman
The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
8 Diagram Pole Fighter 
Heroes of the East
My Young Auntie
Mad Monkey Kung Fu
The Five Deadly Venoms
Return of the Five Deadly Venoms aka Crippled Avengers
The Flying Guillotine
King Boxer aka the Five Fingers of Death
Avenging Eagle 
The Boxer's Omen (supernatural strange kung fu)
Intimate Confessions of a Chinese Courtesan (lesbian exploitation wuxia)

There are tons more but that should provide a really broad knowledge of their martial arts films. 

Golden Harvest: The two stars (they also directed) that need focus from GH are Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. There are a ton of others worth exploring from them, but I think they deserve focus first. 

From Lee: 

Fist of Fury aka the Chinese Connection (to confuse things, the Big Boss aka Fist of Fury, is not very good but go for it if you dig the others. If what you're watching is set in early 1900s, you're watching the right film.)
Way of the Dragon
Enter the Dragon 

Chan:

Police Story 1, 2 and 3: Supercop
Drunken Master 
Legend of the Drunken Master 
Project A and A2(I need to rewatch these though. I've not watched them since childhood but they are very highly thought of)
Wheels of Meals
Fearless Hyena

Ya know... Really, you could just pick up any Jackie film from HK and Golden Harvest and it's certainly going to be entertaining. I've seen well over 20 of his movies and there have been no HK releases that I've outright disliked, though some are not nearly as good as others.

If you watch some of these, I'll try and help get ya through the 90s and modern films, if this thread still exists. 
Aug 12, 2015 8:50 AM
0 0
SkyDog
Master King Sexington

Fist of Legend, one of my favorites from Jet Li
Aug 12, 2015 8:55 AM
0 0
Donnie Yen action films

Aug 12, 2015 8:57 AM
0 0
What are people's thoughts on Kung Fu Hustle?
Aug 12, 2015 9:01 AM
0 0
PsychoWhat are people's thoughts on Kung Fu Hustle?

I love it to death, but I think I prefer Chow's Shaolin Soccer a bit more.  I think Chow is best when he's totally unhinged, and Hustle is a bit too restrained in comparison.
I wish more of his work was available in the States.  I am dying to see Forbidden City Cop, The King of Comedy and The God of Cookery.
Aug 12, 2015 9:14 AM
0 0
MKS
Psycho
Master King Sexington

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations.
I really wish Woo would do a proper R rated action film these days, but those days might be over for him.  Face/Off in the 90's was his last true R rated action film and I liked it.
Keanu Reeves in John Wick showed a glimmer of hope in the action genre but left me wanting them to crank up the action even more when compared to John Woo/Chow Yun-Fat in their prime.
Hopefully the sequel amps up  the action.
That is good news, their remake wouldn't compare to the original Raid.

I think Windtalkers was a Woo R rated action film. The only real problem is that Woo only knows how to make crazy action melodrama and it seems most people don't want crazy action melodrama in their war movies. 
John Wick is, overall, not a particularly good movie, though I liked several sequences and Reeves in it. That year's Dredd it was not. The tone and style of the film was all over the place. Was it going for serious, no nonsense ferocity or silly B action cheese? All the different aspects didn't mesh, especially in the various villains' characterizations. Adrianne Palicki was almost as cringe inducing as the soundtrack. 
The house and club fights were entertaining though and made it worth watching. 
As for Kung Fu Hustle, it's a fun flick. It gets better the more you learn about HK cinema and I highly recommend any fan check out the House of 72 Tenants, which was a prominent influence on the film. I'm still not completely won over by Chow. I'm gonna watch the God of Cookery and the Royal Tramp collection soon but I find him to be pretty inconsistent. I didn't care for Shaolin Soccer at all. Currently, my favorite film of his is God of Beggars. 
Aug 12, 2015 9:21 AM
0 0
MKS
MaxRenn

I love it to death, but I think I prefer Chow's Shaolin Soccer a bit more.  I think Chow is best when he's totally unhinged, and Hustle is a bit too restrained in comparison.
I wish more of his work was available in the States.  I am dying to see Forbidden City Cop, The King of Comedy and The God of Cookery.

At least two of those are currently on Netflix. 
Aug 12, 2015 9:21 AM
0 0
Is Tokyo Drifter considered an action film? Just watched it. Regardless, it was awesome.
Aug 12, 2015 9:41 AM
0 0
Master King Sexington
MaxRenn

At least two of those are currently on Netflix. 

Excellent news.  They had gone out of print on Netflix a while back.
Aug 12, 2015 9:48 AM
0 0