You have to love Trump for a shining a light on who the Repub voting base really is.

Original Poster
This guy is a fucking wrecking ball and the Democrats must be loving it. The more insane he gets, the more popular he gets and the more the center will flee to the left. Can you imagine this guy on the televised debates? You might think he will make the other candidates look good by comparison, but what hell do is make the party look like a shambles that puts forward gibbering idiots as potential presidential candidates.
Jul 6, 2015 12:41 PM
0 0
ZubenThis guy is a fucking wrecking ball and the Democrats must be loving it. The more insane he gets, the more popular he gets and the more the center will flee to the left. Can you imagine this guy on the televised debates? You might think he will make the other candidates look good by comparison, but what hell do is make the party look like a shambles that puts forward gibbering idiots as potential presidential candidates.

And the other republicans all have to distance themselves from Trump while not distancing themselves too far from those same positions somehow.   It's kind of great just to see all of them scramble into damage control mode all at once because of someone from their own party.  

Jul 6, 2015 12:49 PM
0 0

"The problem with the Republican party is... it's full of Republicans!"
Jul 6, 2015 1:04 PM
2 0
If Trump gets elected, he'll appoint Judge Judy to the Supreme Court. 
Jul 6, 2015 1:10 PM
1 0
SpasticNed
ZubenThis guy is a fucking wrecking ball and the Democrats must be loving it. The more insane he gets, the more popular he gets and the more the center will flee to the left. Can you imagine this guy on the televised debates? You might think he will make the other candidates look good by comparison, but what hell do is make the party look like a shambles that puts forward gibbering idiots as potential presidential candidates.

And the other republicans all have to distance themselves from Trump while not distancing themselves too far from those same positions somehow.   It's kind of great just to see all of them scramble into damage control mode all at once because of someone from their own party.  

Maybe in some cases, but the Mexicans are rapists stuff is the kind of thing they are falling over themselves to get away from. That's burning acid to a Republican who wants a decent shot at the white house. 
Jul 6, 2015 1:53 PM
0 0
Listening to republicans half defend him by misquoting him is my favorite part. Ted Cruz said some awesome bullshit. 
Jul 6, 2015 2:08 PM
1 0
It is funny to see him draw some of the worst elements of the right to the surface, but let's not overstate his popularity. He is the first major candidate in the modern era to run for the nomination of a party comprised of a majority who view him disfavorably. Even this "he's polling second in the race" stuff doesn't pass analysis. He has something in the neighborhood of 96% name recognition and is only pulling 10% in support. That is easily the worst ratio of any of the potential nominees. He is a clown and the majority of Republicans agree and do not support him, even if some of his overt bigotry reflects some widespread attitudes (though it's unclear how widespread and how fervent).
Jul 6, 2015 2:09 PM
0 0
Trump is certifiably insane but he in no way represents the views of the majority of the Republican base. Maybe the fringe far right, at best.
Jul 6, 2015 2:16 PM
0 0
I had thought Ted Cruz was going to be the most consistent and reliable source of Republican stupidity during this campaign cycle but that was before Trump started talking.  Doesn't the GOP ever get tired of having to distance themselves from so many of their own people? 
Jul 6, 2015 2:51 PM
0 0
CaptJackZodiacI had thought Ted Cruz was going to be the most consistent and reliable source of Republican stupidity during this campaign cycle but that was before Trump started talking.  Doesn't the GOP ever get tired of having to distance themselves from so many of their own people? 

Money money money. Trim some, lose some, gain some. We only have two viable presidential parties; that's a huge part of the problem.
Jul 6, 2015 3:11 PM
1 0
Yup. George Carlin summed it up best when he pointed out that you can choose from only two political party candidates to run the country but if you want ice cream you get to pick from thirty one flavors.
Jul 6, 2015 3:27 PM
0 0
CaptJackZodiacDoesn't the GOP ever get tired of having to distance themselves from so many of their own people? 

Who is the "GOP"?  The majority of registered Republicans?  Office holders?  In both cases, those groups don't support Trump in appreciable numbers.  Isn't that enough?  I've seen this phenomenon described elsewhere, but it really is true: Republicans are always asked to comment on, or take responsibility for to some degree, their most extreme members, yet Democrats never seem to have to do the same.  I don't remember Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama being tied down with the millstone of Dennis Kucinich or Alan Grayson, yet anytime some random Republican anywhere says something stupid, the media runs with it as if it is a thing that all Republicans have to disown.
Jul 6, 2015 3:38 PM
0 0
NimChimpskyI don't remember Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama being tied down with the millstone of Dennis Kucinich or Alan Grayson, yet anytime some random Republican anywhere says something stupid, the media runs with it as if it is a thing that all Republicans have to disown.

When has Kucinich or Grayson ever said some crazy racist shit?  When have they ever polled more than 10% in a national poll?

The fact that Trump says crazy shit isn't the point.  It's that people like Cruz, Jindal, FOX in general have blamed the backlash on the "PC left", bypassing the fact that the crazy shit was actually crazy or some shit.  They obviously value the marginal vote that Trump is courting, and making the party look bad by extension.
Jul 6, 2015 3:49 PM
0 0
The most amazing thing about this is that Trump hasn't backed off the comments.  He could have maintained some point about the "problem" of illegal immigration but apologized for his choice of words, but he then repeated the whole rape nonsense hilariously to Don Lemon, "Somebody's doing the raping, Don!"  Lol.

Some of the spin has been hilarious.  I think I saw Ted Cruz say something like, "But he's right, illegal immigration is a problem."  As if saying that would have gotten Trump in this mess.  And the hosts interviewing Cruz didn't seem to make any effort to point out that he was full of shit.
Jul 6, 2015 3:49 PM
0 0
BigwigSome of the spin has been hilarious.  I think I saw Ted Cruz say something like, "But he's right, illegal immigration is a problem."  As if saying that would have gotten Trump in this mess.  And the hosts interviewing Cruz didn't seem to make any effort to point out that he was full of shit.

Sorry.  This is exactly what I meant to say, and should have let Bigwig have the floor.
Jul 6, 2015 3:51 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan
NimChimpskyI don't remember Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama being tied down with the millstone of Dennis Kucinich or Alan Grayson, yet anytime some random Republican anywhere says something stupid, the media runs with it as if it is a thing that all Republicans have to disown.

When has Kucinich or Grayson ever said some crazy racist shit?  When have they ever polled more than 10% in a national poll?

The fact that Trump says crazy shit isn't the point.  It's that people like Cruz, Jindal, FOX in general have blamed the backlash on the "PC left", bypassing the fact that the crazy shit was actually crazy or some shit.  They obviously value the marginal vote that Trump is courting, and making the party look bad by extension.

Todd Akin had as much national power as Grayson, and while both are examples of reps saying reprehensible things, only Akin was trotted out as the entire party writ small.
Jul 6, 2015 3:52 PM
0 0
NimChimpskyTodd Akin had as much national power as Grayson, and while both are examples of reps saying reprehensible things, only Akin was trotted out as the entire party writ small.

Grayson was a hustler, and I don't want to defend him.  But I can't think of anything he said that compares with the "legitimate rape" comments.
Jul 6, 2015 3:56 PM
0 0
NimChimpsky
CaptJackZodiacDoesn't the GOP ever get tired of having to distance themselves from so many of their own people? 

Who is the "GOP"?  The majority of registered Republicans?  Office holders?  In both cases, those groups don't support Trump in appreciable numbers.  Isn't that enough?  I've seen this phenomenon described elsewhere, but it really is true: Republicans are always asked to comment on, or take responsibility for to some degree, their most extreme members, yet Democrats never seem to have to do the same.  I don't remember Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama being tied down with the millstone of Dennis Kucinich or Alan Grayson, yet anytime some random Republican anywhere says something stupid, the media runs with it as if it is a thing that all Republicans have to disown.

ALL Republicans are members of the GOP by virtue of simply being Republican.  It's the traditional nickname for the party coined in its early days and stands for the "Grand Old Party."    So far as the Press jumping on the Repubs for the stupid shit they say more so than the Dems, the racist, Xian conservative, far-right mindset of many Repub politicians frequently makes their quotes more heinous and polarizing which is like candy to the Press.
Jul 6, 2015 4:03 PM
0 0
Just read the "K Street whore" thing.  It's almost more offensive that he said that on Alex Jones' show than the actual quote itself.

I also didn't know he was back in Congress.  Urgh.
Jul 6, 2015 4:03 PM
0 0
CaptJackZodiac
NimChimpsky

ALL Republicans are members of the GOP by virtue of simply being Republican.  It's the traditional nickname for the party coined in its early days and stands for the "Grand Old Party."    So far as the Press jumping on the Repubs for the stupid shit they say more so than the Dems, the racist, Xian conservative, far-right mindset of many Repub politicians frequently makes their quotes more heinous and polarizing which is like candy to the Press.

Also, the average Democrat these days is a corporatist moderate. They're not very likely to go spouting fire-breathing liberal rhetoric. The average Republican seems more and more unhinged and out-of-touch with reality. You seldom hear Democrats flat out making up stories, but the GOP seems to be at war with science and with fact.
Jul 6, 2015 4:16 PM
0 0