OT's New Video Game Thread (Now with HP)

Detrimental
Paquito
Esoteric Allusion
NimChimpskyThose reviews are crazy and make me think there's not a good reason not to buy a Switch. It could be my first Nintendo system since the N64 which, like the Super Nintendo before it, I also got for Zelda games.

Maybe a dozen or so pages back in this thread someone was asking why you couldn't marry Dark Souls combat to the depth of an open world game like the Witcher 3? Posters joked about how nice it would be if games could combine the best aspects of all games together.

These reviews are consistently saying Nintendo managed to create Dark Souls' combat plus Skyrim's open world plus a clever puzzler plus an achingly beautiful narrative framework all in one game. Like, most of them are essentially describing the game as that.

Is this worth $300? Maybe. I've sure as hell got my money's worth of enjoyment out of the Souls' series. I'm quite tempted here.

I have a co-worker that's willing to give me his Wii-U for free once he gets his Switch. Other people have offered to lend me their unused Wii-Us. I'm sure you could find someone willing to do so for you, so playing the game would only set you back $50 or whatever the game itself costs.

I think I'm just going to wait until I buy a Switch though, and I'm content waiting over a year to play Breath of the Wild. Mostly because it shipped with a pretty significant hardware bug that prevents you from properly using it as a console. Plus, there's that thing Det mentioned about the dock scratching the unit. Wait until they ship out a version that's addressed those issues.

I never mentioned that. I did mention this emulator cemu that can run the Wii-U version of Breath of Wild somewhat. I suspect it will be playable in a couple of months though.

Oh, I confused you with Default. He mentioned that at the top of the page.
Mar 12, 2017 3:35 PM
0 0
I played and loved Dark Souls 2 but 3 seems very poorly designed. It throws you into the first boss battle almost immediately and doesn't give you any time to warm up to the game's world or the game play. The first boss also has that cheap mechanic where it can hit you even if it missed according to it's own animation.

Anyway, not an enjoyable experience at all.
Mar 17, 2017 11:01 PM
0 0
ZubenI played and loved Dark Souls 2 but 3 seems very poorly designed. It throws you into the first boss battle almost immediately and doesn't give you any time to warm up to the game's world or the game play. The first boss also has that cheap mechanic where it can hit you even if it missed according to it's own animation.

Didn't Dark Souls 1 do the same thing? I played a little bit of Dark Souls 3 and beat the first boss after like after 5-6 tries or so. I thought it was enjoyable enough but wanted to beat the other Dark Souls games first. Anyways dude if you thought that was hard, try Bloodborne. I can't even get to the first boss, the regular enemies give me a hard enough time.
Mar 17, 2017 11:03 PM
0 0
Detrimental
ZubenI played and loved Dark Souls 2 but 3 seems very poorly designed. It throws you into the first boss battle almost immediately and doesn't give you any time to warm up to the game's world or the game play. The first boss also has that cheap mechanic where it can hit you even if it missed according to it's own animation.

Didn't Dark Souls 1 do the same thing? I played a little bit of Dark Souls 3 and beat the first boss after like after 5-6 tries or so. I thought it was enjoyable enough but wanted to beat the other Dark Souls games first. Anyways dude if you thought that was hard, try Bloodborne. I can't even get to the first boss, the regular enemies give me a hard enough time.

I don't think it's hard, I think it's cheap and poorly designed. When I died to a boss in Dark Souls 2 I felt that it was because I fucked up, not because the game was random. I nearly beat the first boss in 3 on my first try and I know if I do it a few more times I'll beat it, but not because I got better at fighting him. That's dumb.
Mar 17, 2017 11:10 PM
0 0
Also, when the first boss transforms to his second tier he looks horrible. Like a monster drawn by a child and then animated with CGI from the mid-90s.

Mar 17, 2017 11:13 PM
0 0
I've never played DS1 but 2 was one of my favourite games of the last few years, so its really disappointing to see them follow up with something like this.
Mar 17, 2017 11:14 PM
0 0
ZubenI've never played DS1 but 2 was one of my favourite games of the last few years, so its really disappointing to see them follow up with something like this.

Well the first boss for Dark Souls is really just part of the tutorial. It's not super easy or anything, but it's not really the start of the game.
Mar 17, 2017 11:19 PM
0 0
Seriously though get a ps4 and buy Bloodborne if you like the souls games so much. It's considered the best entry in the entire souls/borne series.
Mar 17, 2017 11:20 PM
0 0
Detrimental
ZubenI've never played DS1 but 2 was one of my favourite games of the last few years, so its really disappointing to see them follow up with something like this.

Well the first boss for Dark Souls is really just part of the tutorial. It's not super easy or anything, but it's not really the start of the game.

I don't care.
Mar 17, 2017 11:20 PM
0 0
Zuben
Detrimental

I don't care.

Alright. Good talk!
Mar 17, 2017 11:23 PM
0 0
So I just went back and beat the first boss. Maybe my frame rate was too low the first time, but regardless, it felt spammy and random, not at all like I learned a pattern and then used my skills to beat it. He also looked just as stupid Anyway, really bad start to the game unfortunately. I'll put a few more hours in before calling it quits. On the upside, the walk up to the next bonfire was really pretty and had epic landscapes.
Mar 17, 2017 11:41 PM
0 0
Detrimental
Zuben
Detrimental

I don't care.

Alright. Good talk!

When I play Dark Souls I'll be happy to talk about it.
Mar 17, 2017 11:42 PM
0 0
Esoteric AllusionGamespot gave Breath of the Wild a perfect score and said it is the greatest game in the history of Nintendo.

IGN also gave it a perfect score with the highest praise possible.

And a bunch of other critics are right along with them. ?The median review is saying it is the best game ever made. A "bad" review so far is one that merely says it is great without explicitly describing it as a defining moment for the entire artform.

So, this game probably is one of the greatest games ever in a franchise I've loved since I was a kid. It absolutely sucks that it is on a platform I do not have interest in obtaining.

My youngest brother is a 'flipper' of products on secondary, and he sold his first Switch for well over $500 shortly after it released. Secondary market is pretty big for the Switch. I regret not committing to that pre-order while I had the chance.

That said, I'll probably get the Switch at some point and slowly work my way through Zelda. I, too, have loved the series but I'm also not the frequent gamer many in this thread are, so owning a Nintendo seems right at about my speed for game playing. Plus, I like the Mario titles well enough, too, to justify the console commitment. (and my wife actually plays Mario Kart)
Mar 18, 2017 4:06 PM
0 0
Detrimental
I also just bought Horizon and I know wirthling was playing it. What do you think about it wirthling?

I actually haven't played it in a while. I got totally hooked back into GTA V. I may try to put some time in on Horizon tomorrow.

It's beautiful to look at and I love the soundtrack and action. Haven't gone far enough in the game yet to be sure but so far it seems memorable.
Mar 19, 2017 1:01 AM
0 0
Romeo and Juliet as interpreted by the robots of Nier Automata. I feel like the localization makes this scene work, and I'm curious as to how well it comes off in Japanese.
Mar 19, 2017 3:06 AM
0 0
I expected ME: Andromeda to review kinda low, but I didn't expect it to drop below 80. I'm totally still willing to pay for a game with a 75-78 on Metacritic, but considering the series, I'm worried that the game doesn't even deserve that and is actually kinda bad.
Mar 21, 2017 7:08 PM
0 0
I dunno. I'm listening to Totalbiscuit's podcast; even though I don't especially care for his opinion on games, he's never scared to tear into them and seems to like Andromeda fine.
Mar 21, 2017 7:42 PM
0 0
DefaultI expected ME: Andromeda to review kinda low, but I didn't expect it to drop below 80. I'm totally still willing to pay for a game with a 75-78 on Metacritic, but considering the series, I'm worried that the game doesn't even deserve that and is actually kinda bad.

Mar 22, 2017 1:09 PM
0 0
I saw those gifs about a week ago or so. They didn't worry me too much, but in this case it seems they really did provide an inkling of how shoddy the animations are in general. Considering how heavily these games have relied on atmosphere, the stilted dialogue and poorly done faces are a bigger deal than I thought they would be.

That said, I still like this game. Personally, Andromeda has the best gameplay of the series by a big margin. When it comes to combat, your character is far more mobile than ever before, and I finally feel like a super soldier out of a science fiction story. There also aren't any terrible scanning mini games to engage in. Like, you can scan as you're walking around, or you can scan a planet by clicking one button and learning--immediately--whether or not there's anything worth mining. Scanning a system takes minutes instead of the inordinate amount of time that it took in ME 2 (I feel like this was improved in 3 but I can't remember for certain).

The presentation is very bad though, to the extent that I understand dismissing the game wholesale because of it.
Mar 22, 2017 7:13 PM
0 0
I've been playing Until Dawn, which isn't quite like anything else I've played, and I like it a lot. The story is classic slasher horror trope: eight young people are staying at a remote cabin in the woods, and someone, or something, is out to get them. You play, at various points, as each of the characters. The ultimate goal is to keep them alive until dawn, but because your choices reverberate down the line, and can cause a number of unforeseen consequences, any number of the characters can die as a result. I've lost three so far, and of course, losing people means they aren't around, which changes the story even further.

The game isn't perfect; most of the actual gameplay is a mix of discovering clues, quick time events, and periodic choices; there's not much of an action component, really, so it can feel more like an interactive movie. But it is fun watching how choices play out in complicated ways. One example, early on, you can use a gun to shoot a squirrel if you want. If you do, a friend yells at you, which disturbs a bird which scratches her on the head. Later, running from an unseen chaser, she hits her head on a door which causes the wound to reopen. If you choose to hide from your pursuer, rather than keep running, he finds you because of the blood you've dripped. There is a lot of that, and because anyone can die in different ways, the sheer number of story possibilities seems high (some choices are more, in the Telltale scheme of things, illusory and lead to basically the same outcome, but definitely not all).
Mar 27, 2017 3:44 AM
0 0