New NBA thread

chunkyloverAs long as we're shitting on Booze, the Clippers at 3 seems like a wild overreach. I think they're maybe a playoff team if Blake Griffin and Danilo Gallinari can stay healthy, which is a pretty big if.

Obviously he's no Chris Paul, but I've seen Milos Teodosic play, and he's fantastic. He's the best player in the world that you (the royal you) have never seen.
Jul 18, 2017 1:06 AM
0 0
A Youtube video of Teodosic.

ED: Oh fuck I apologize, there's a big Seat Geek ad just after the 2 minute mark. Skip 2:15-3:00 and you're good.
Jul 18, 2017 1:09 AM
0 0
Here's a Top-20 Teodosic video for last season. Tell me this guy ain't going to be on Sportscenter on a regular basis. He's basically a wiser Ricky Rubio who's a great shooter but has terrible defense. That's where DeAndre Jordan comes in as a rim protector, and will have even more blocks this coming season. I'm going to take him 2 rounds too early in fantasy because he'll be so fun to watch.
Jul 18, 2017 1:33 AM
0 0
boozeHere's a Top-20 Teodosic video for last season. Tell me this guy ain't going to be on Sportscenter on a regular basis. He's basically a wiser Ricky Rubio who's a great shooter but has terrible defense. That's where DeAndre Jordan comes in as a rim protector, and will have even more blocks this coming season. I'm going to take him 2 rounds too early in fantasy because he'll be so fun to watch.

Rubio and TJ McConnell were actually the two best defensive PGs in the NBA last year. McConnell held Curry to 0-11 from 3PT and almost immediately after LeBron james had Cleveland phoning Philadelphia for a trade. If MINN had just swapped Butler and Rubio, and not added Gibson and shedded LaVine, they would lose 5-10 more games this year. They still may.
Jul 18, 2017 6:43 AM
0 0
Xenophon
boozeHere's a Top-20 Teodosic video for last season. Tell me this guy ain't going to be on Sportscenter on a regular basis. He's basically a wiser Ricky Rubio who's a great shooter but has terrible defense. That's where DeAndre Jordan comes in as a rim protector, and will have even more blocks this coming season. I'm going to take him 2 rounds too early in fantasy because he'll be so fun to watch.

Rubio and TJ McConnell were actually the two best defensive PGs in the NBA last year. McConnell held Curry to 0-11 from 3PT and almost immediately after LeBron james had Cleveland phoning Philadelphia for a trade. If MINN had just swapped Butler and Rubio, and not added Gibson and shedded LaVine, they would lose 5-10 more games this year. They still may.

I phrased my post badly, it was late at night and I was full of whiskey. I meant imagine Rubio, but take away his defense, give him decent shooting and age him 5 years to make him wiser, and that's what Teodosic is. Basically, they're both unorthodox, creative, have great court vision, are pass-first white Europeans with floppy hair.
Jul 18, 2017 12:22 PM
0 0

I'm basically a younger LeBron James, but I'm a 6'0'' white guy who stopped playing on basketball teams in high school.
Jul 18, 2017 4:31 PM
0 0
Xenophon

Man, you can't resist throwing the 76ers in somehow even when your trolling is about something else entirely.
Jul 18, 2017 4:32 PM
0 0
booze
Xenophon

I phrased my post badly, it was late at night and I was full of whiskey. I meant imagine Rubio, but take away his defense, give him decent shooting and age him 5 years to make him wiser, and that's what Teodosic is. Basically, they're both unorthodox, creative, have great court vision, are pass-first white Europeans with floppy hair.

I basically know what you meant, I was just being nitpicky as usual, and showing my diehard love for Rubio. You're right, Teodosic is an amazing talent. The Serbs, Montenegrins, Croats, Slovs, Albanians play great basketball.
Jul 19, 2017 3:01 AM
0 0
Reports circulating that Kyrie asked to be traded away from Cleveland so he can be a focal point. LeBron is so out of there next summer.

Cleveland is a fucking joke. They lucked into one of the three greatest players ever and have totally fucked it up not once but twice.
Jul 21, 2017 9:13 PM
0 0
HoboJoeReports circulating that Kyrie asked to be traded away from Cleveland so he can be a focal point. LeBron is so out of there next summer.

Cleveland is a fucking joke. They lucked into one of the three greatest players ever and have totally fucked it up not once but twice.

Why now though? Why not wait a year?
Jul 21, 2017 11:18 PM
0 0
HoboJoeReports circulating that Kyrie asked to be traded away from Cleveland so he can be a focal point. LeBron is so out of there next summer.

Sounds like a rumor to me. But if LeBron is actually considering leaving then this is not surprising.

The Jazz will probably be a .500 at best squad this year, even with Mitchell tearing it up. Hayward accounted for a lot of flaws.
Jul 22, 2017 8:20 AM
0 0
As long as the Suns and the Kings are around the Lakers will not be the worst team in the West. I see them being a bit less than crappy, a step up from outright sucking.
Jul 22, 2017 8:23 AM
0 0
MadManAs long as the Suns and the Kings are around the Lakers will not be the worst team in the West. I see them being a bit less than crappy, a step up from outright sucking.

I said it last page and I will say it again. While they may get off to a poor start, the Lakers will be in shouting distance of the #8 seed.
Jul 22, 2017 12:01 PM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair

Maybe an attempt to control the narrative on his part. I think he wants to be the man somewhere instead of being a side kick, and would also like to do it somewhere besides Cleveland, in part for the reasons HoboJoe mentioned - Cleveland is not a particularly well run franchise and features a controlling, dickhead owner. For now he can claim he wants to bounce because he doesn't want to be a sidekick anymore, but if he were to wait a year and LeBron leaves, then it could be framed as Kyrie bailing on the team when the going gets rough.

He's also apparently given the Cavs a list of teams he would like to be traded to: the Spurs, T-Wolves, Knicks, and Heat.
Jul 23, 2017 12:19 AM
0 0
chunkylover
Infinitus Corsair

Maybe an attempt to control the narrative on his part. I think he wants to be the man somewhere instead of being a side kick, and would also like to do it somewhere besides Cleveland, in part for the reasons HoboJoe mentioned - Cleveland is not a particularly well run franchise and features a controlling, dickhead owner. For now he can claim he wants to bounce because he doesn't want to be a sidekick anymore, but if he were to wait a year and LeBron leaves, then it could be framed as Kyrie bailing on the team when the going gets rough.

He's also apparently given the Cavs a list of teams he would like to be traded to: the Spurs, T-Wolves, Knicks, and Heat.

His trade list is all over the place but I guess if you want a poorly-run team, it's better to be in New York than Cleveland.

I underestimated the role his apparent friction with LeBron is playing in his demand--I figured the odds of being traded into a better championship situation than Cleveland for 2016-17 are pretty slim, so why not play out and then find somewhere to land as an alpha dog (TM--Bill Simmons). As a basketball fan, I'm annoyed that Dan Gilbert and Kyrie Irving have conspired to waste a year of 30-something LeBron's life.
Jul 23, 2017 2:50 AM
1 0
If they somehow get Melo or some other vets in return for Kyrie I certainly don't mind watching a year of that over them running back the same core. They need to trade for young players with LeBron leaving though.
Jul 23, 2017 3:07 AM
0 0
A team with Kyrie Irving as "the man" sounds like a team that gets beat 4-1 in the conference semi-finals.
Jul 23, 2017 5:06 AM
1 0
BigwigA team with Kyrie Irving as "the man" sounds like a team that gets beat 4-1 in the conference semi-finals.

Actually, this is generous.
Jul 23, 2017 5:06 AM
0 0
Bigwig
BigwigA team with Kyrie Irving as "the man" sounds like a team that gets beat 4-1 in the conference semi-finals.

I think a team with Kyrie as "the man" and Prozingis as the "sidekick" might win the conference semi-finals. That's my hot take.
Jul 23, 2017 5:36 AM
0 0
Bigwig

So basically the 2017 Thunder.
Jul 23, 2017 7:12 AM
0 0