New NBA thread

Celtics showing a lot of heart to keep the lead under 40 before the half.
May 20, 2017 1:29 AM
0 0
So when do they invoke the mercy rule?
May 20, 2017 1:30 AM
0 0
chunkyloverCeltics showing a lot of heart to keep the lead under 40 before the half.

Never mind.
May 20, 2017 1:36 AM
0 0
May 20, 2017 1:50 AM
0 0
These Cavs remind me of the Kobe lead back-to-back title teams. Those Laker teams cruised through the regular season looking plenty good, but not exceptional. Then the playoffs started. I remember expressing doubt they would win either year and I think it was HK who insisted to me that they would change gears. And they did. Although this Cavs gear change is far more drastic.
May 20, 2017 2:03 AM
0 0
I don't feel nearly as badly about Toronto getting swept by 11, 22, 21 and 7 points. 2 of the games were still competitive well into the second half.
May 20, 2017 2:22 AM
0 0
So uh, Jaylen Brown is playing okay, I guess?
May 20, 2017 2:29 AM
0 0
HoboJoeSo uh, Jaylen Brown is playing okay, I guess?

You shouldn't have given the Celtics that Groupon coupon for 40% off points scored.
May 20, 2017 2:35 AM
0 0
Jesus, Derrick Williams is a Cav?
May 20, 2017 2:38 AM
0 0
Remember when it was a big deal that the Celtics secured home court advantage?
May 20, 2017 2:42 AM
0 0
Paris the GoatRemember when it was a big deal that the Celtics secured home court advantage?

I didn't necessarily think the Celtics would win, but I bought the hype that the East was wide open and up for the taking before the start of the playoffs. I simply wasn't a believer that the Cavs could just "flip the switch" in the playoffs.
May 20, 2017 2:48 AM
0 0
HurricaneKid
Paris the Goat
Paris the Goat
HurricaneKid
chunkyloverThe Dan LeBatard show had a funny segment today in which they posed the same question to a bunch of random guests. Who would win a series between the Cavs and a team consisting of the rest of the East All-Stars. It would look something like this:

John Wall
Jimmy Butler
Paul George
Giannnis
Hassan Whiteside

Bench:
Demar Derozan
Bradley Beal
Paul Milsap
Isaiah Thomas

or something like that.

People on LeBatard overwhelmingly picked the Cavs but the East All-Stars would definitely win, right?

Next time someone shrugs off the notion of LeBron being the GOAT come back to this discussion. When LeBron wasn't in the game this year the Cavs were -8.6 pts/100 possessions. With him people believe they would beat an all star team.

FTR, the Cavs would get swamped. They aren't good enough defensively and while LeBron could will them for ~30 min they would get blown off the court the moment he sat.

More interesting question: could the Cavs (or Warriors) beat a team made up of the best players from non-playoff teams?

Which is something like (off the top of my head):

Kemba Walker
Eric Bledsoe
Carmelo Anthony
Anthony Davis
Karl-Anthony Towns

Goran Dragic
Jrue Holiday
Nicolas Batum
Nikola Jokic
Hassan Whiteside

I think the Warriors beat that team. The big issue is the depth. Having All-Stars come in and face the Ian Clark's would be the problem. But the Dubs starting and closing unit would destroy them.

We also need to stop using Cavs/Warriors as if they are close. They are not. Warriors are ~3:1 favorites over the Cavs and for good reason.

Let's take a look at how the Cavs are doing tonight...

I'm not sure I want to bet against them.
May 20, 2017 2:55 AM
0 0
BTW, I don't really care about this stuff, but doesn't it seem crazy that Karl Anthony-Towns didn't even make 3rd team NBA? Am I that off? I think you can make as strong a case for him as 1st team as you could for 4th+ (ie, not on any) team.
May 20, 2017 4:04 AM
0 0
We should just skip the formality of a regular season next year and just have the Cavs and Warriors play a best of 21. I'm only half-joking.
May 20, 2017 4:44 AM
0 0
PaulsonWe should just skip the formality of a regular season next year and just have the Cavs and Warriors play a best of 21. I'm only half-joking.

That's really not fair to the Spurs.
May 20, 2017 4:47 AM
0 0
Detrimental
PaulsonWe should just skip the formality of a regular season next year and just have the Cavs and Warriors play a best of 21. I'm only half-joking.

It isn't? They lost to the Thunder last year, the Clippers in the first round two years ago, and looked like a pile of fuck the other night.
May 20, 2017 4:57 AM
0 0
Bigwig
Detrimental

It isn't? They lost to the Thunder last year, the Clippers in the first round two years ago, and looked like a pile of fuck the other night.

Yeah but during game 1 with a healthy Kawhi Leonard they were blowing out the Warriors. So that to me at least proves that they can still compete at a high level, they just need to keep their guys healthy.
May 20, 2017 5:00 AM
0 0
Detrimental
Bigwig
Detrimental

Yeah but during game 1 with a healthy Kawhi Leonard they were blowing out the Warriors. So that to me at least proves that they can still compete at a high level, they just need to keep their guys healthy.

Like the last two years?
May 20, 2017 5:01 AM
0 0
Bigwig
Detrimental
Bigwig
Detrimental

Like the last two years?

Correct me if i'm wrong but in those last two years I don't think they had Lamarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol.
May 20, 2017 5:02 AM
0 0
Detrimental
Bigwig
Detrimental
Bigwig
Detrimental

Like the last two years?

Correct me if i'm wrong but in those last two years I don't think they had Lamarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Gasol was with the Bulls and Aldridge wasn't with them two years ago.
May 20, 2017 5:08 AM
0 0