The Sweet Science

If Briggm is still alive, let him know that Lomachenko and Walters is on again in November.
Sep 27, 2016 9:23 PM
0 0
A first class fight is happening tonight on network television. WBC Welterweight Champion Danny Garcia squares off against mild favorite WBA Welterweight Champion Keith Thurman at 9pm EST on CBS. I'm taking Garcia in this one. Just a "heads up".
Mar 5, 2017 1:51 AM
0 0
Roman Gonzalez, whom most people have as the pound-for-pound best boxer, loses a close decision in a great fight, and GGG is gifted a decision most think he lost. Gonzalez just moved too far up in weight, but there's a real chance that GGG has fallen off the cliff at 35. If Vasyl Lomachenko wasn't your #1 pound-for-pound guy before tonight, then he might be right now.
Mar 19, 2017 5:48 AM
0 0
MosesA first class fight is happening tonight on network television. WBC Welterweight Champion Danny Garcia squares off against mild favorite WBA Welterweight Champion Keith Thurman at 9pm EST on CBS. I'm taking Garcia in this one. Just a "heads up".

OMG you were wrong LOL!
Mar 19, 2017 3:17 PM
0 0
MosesRoman Gonzalez, whom most people have as the pound-for-pound best boxer, loses a close decision in a great fight, and GGG is gifted a decision most think he lost. Gonzalez just moved too far up in weight, but there's a real chance that GGG has fallen off the cliff at 35. If Vasyl Lomachenko wasn't your #1 pound-for-pound guy before tonight, then he might be right now.

I don't think GGG has fallen off any cliff, he's the same guy from 1,2,3 years ago. He's never been gifted defensively, he's never even moved his head. He's just fought his two best opponents in his last two fights, one of whom was his own size, and both of them, but especially Jacobs, have able to exploit some of the holes that have always been there with GGG.

Moses, I'm sick of these clowns who say that GGG only gets hit because he lets guys hit him. WTF? Nobody's saying that now.
Mar 19, 2017 3:22 PM
0 0
I don't agree with your take on GGG. In his past two fights, he hasn't used his jab to set up offense. That jab was his best weapon in 2015. He's quit throwing it, and he's waiting to counter with big shots and that just isn't working.

Last night, he ran into a guy who was 12-15 lbs. heavier (Jacobs didn't even bother weighing in for the IBF yesterday morning after re-hydrating), younger, longer, and with better hand-speed who fought a smart fight. Jacobs after being knocked down fought smartly and was able to counter to the point where I thought he was the more effective fighter. Using the 10-point must system, I feel Jacobs won it. (Were I a boxing judge, I would award tons of 10-10 rounds when one boxer doesn't clearly win the round just to negate that dumb scoring system. And, I would award plenty of 10-8 rounds for when a boxer dominates but does not score a knockdown. In this fight, there were plenty of 10-10 rounds.)
Mar 19, 2017 3:41 PM
0 0
MosesI don't agree with your take on GGG. In his past two fights, he hasn't used his jab to set up offense. That jab was his best weapon in 2015. He's quit throwing it, and he's waiting to counter with big shots and that just isn't working.

Last night, he ran into a guy who was 12-15 lbs. heavier (Jacobs didn't even bother weighing in for the IBF yesterday morning after re-hydrating), younger, longer, and with better hand-speed who fought a smart fight. Jacobs after being knocked down fought smartly and was able to counter to the point where I thought he was the more effective fighter. Using the 10-point must system, I feel Jacobs won it. (Were I a boxing judge, I would award tons of 10-10 rounds when one boxer doesn't clearly win the round just to negate that dumb scoring system. And, I would award plenty of 10-8 rounds for when a boxer dominates but does not score a knockdown. In this fight, there were plenty of 10-10 rounds.)

Against Brook, GGG largely neglected the jab, presumably because he felt he could break the smaller man down by putting power on him, which is what he did. So yeah, sure. However I think you're wrong with regards to the Jacobs fight, as evidenced by the punch stats.

According to CompuBox, GGG threw 615 punches, 356 of which were jabs. That's not an insignificant number of jabs! Historically, Golovkin throws an average of 31.3 jabs a round and against Jacobs he threw 29.6, so practically the same.

I saw GGG's approach last night as being stylistically similar to the Lemieux fight, where against a dangerous opponent he did most of his work off his jab, especially early. He didn't throw or land quite as many jabs in this fight as he did against Lemieux, however he was fighting a much better boxer in Jacobs! And that's the crux of it, I'm sure I've said several times in this thread that we'll see just how good GGG is when he fights a live opponent. I mean don't get me wrong, I could see that he was good, but I'll leave it to others to go crazy over destruction jobs on the likes of Marco Antonio Rubio and Matthew Macklin.

Anyway, the fight was close and although I didn't score it round by round, I thought that it could reasonably be scored either way by one or two rounds. Having said that, I didn't think it particularly likely that Jacobs was going to win a close fight when a GGG/Canelo fight is on the horizon... which, by the way, I've always given Canelo a great chance in, not just now! That's a tough fight for GGG.
Mar 19, 2017 5:27 PM
0 0
And I have no idea why I just quoted your post when we're the only two people in this thread.
Mar 19, 2017 5:30 PM
0 0
briggmAnd I have no idea why I just quoted your post when we're the only two people in this thread.

Inexcusable. I don't want to see you posting here for another 6 months.
Mar 19, 2017 6:04 PM
0 0
Yeah, but GGG isn't landing the jab like he typically does. He landed 9 per round last night, and through 2014, GGG averaged 12 jabs per round (which was the highest number by any active fighter).
Mar 19, 2017 6:36 PM
0 0
The best names Golovkin had faced through 2014 were Macklin, Geale and Stevens, none of whom are at the level of Jacobs, and specifically not on his level defensively. And let's be real, he'd also fought a lot of cans up to that point.

I don't agree that GGG is a diminished fighter; he's the same guy, with the same strengths and flaws, currently competing at a higher level. Had he fought Ward a few years ago we wouldn't be having this conversation right now, because his aura of invincibility would have already been shattered.
Mar 19, 2017 8:10 PM
0 0
Anyway, stop being mean, I've just come back and you're meant to be being nice to me
Mar 19, 2017 8:12 PM
0 0
Paquito
briggmAnd I have no idea why I just quoted your post when we're the only two people in this thread.

Inexcusable. I don't want to see you posting here for another 6 months.

Welcome to our boxing thread :fresh:
Mar 19, 2017 8:45 PM
0 0
Errol Spence vs. Kell Brook is on. Outstanding bout.
Mar 22, 2017 3:44 PM
0 0
It really is a good fight. Brook's being slept on by the boxing public a bit, but Spence just looks like such a serious threat to any top welterweight out there. Stylistically I favour Spence, however with the fight being in Brook's hometown that may push it back somewhere towards it being a 50-50 prospect. Can't wait for this fight.
Mar 22, 2017 9:04 PM
0 0
Moses, I've consulted Max Kellerman on GGG and he had this to say:

"Dominant knockout performers like GGG, and fighters who look like they're unbeatable - generally that happens as a result of matchmaking. Generally it's because they're in with a certain level of opponent."

To be fair, he did also wonder whether time was catching up with GGG, which I guess is an open question.?

Canelo, Eubank Jr. and maybe even Saunders are all tough fights for GGG at 160.
Mar 22, 2017 9:11 PM
0 0
Linares Crolla II Moses, get in here BRO.
Mar 25, 2017 10:40 PM
0 0
briggmLinares Crolla II Moses, get in here BRO.

What are YOU doing watching 135 lbs. boxers? This isn't like you.

I'll take Linares again.
Mar 25, 2017 10:47 PM
0 0
These guys are rather good, but this weight reminds me -- I want to see Mikey Garcia fight Terence Crawford.
Mar 25, 2017 10:50 PM
0 0
Briggm, please tell UK boxing fans to stop singing/chanting during their boxing matches.
Mar 25, 2017 11:03 PM
0 0