Apex Predator's Film Discussion Thread

Black Philip
Apex Predator
Black Philip
Apex Predator
Black PhilipI did watch the second Dave Chappelle special in Austin, Texas. Very funny.

You'd recommend both of those? Thanks to SNL, I'm starting to gain an interest for Mr. Chappelle.

Oh yeah. You should try and see if Netflix or Amazon has The Dave Chappelle Show season 1 and 2. Genius. Even if never has a show again those two seasons are absolute comedy gold.

Right now I've picked a movie from my list to watch called Journey to the West from Stephen Chow. He makes these Chinese comedies that are so funny. If you haven't seen Kung Fu Hustle then you're in for a treat.

Have seen Hustle, but I preferred Shaolin Soccer.

On the plus side, I finally worked up the courage to rent several movies this week (Beauty and the Beast, Dr. Strangelove, The Conjuring). Obviously, will go through Mommy first but after that, who knows?
Just as long as I see all three of them by Saturday night.

I'm guessing you got the Disney animated Beauty and the Beast. That's very good. I have really no desire to see the new one though. Love Strangelove (see what I did there?) and The Conjuring is a great throwback. Even the sequel was good.

I did, Philip.
Got at least four films to do Sunday night. Liked all of them but one kinda blew me away and it'll be hard to top in April.
Apr 16, 2017 12:27 AM
0 0
Accidental Courtesy: Daryl Davis, Race, and America:

I've seen two films from 2017 already! At this rate, I'll have 6 films done by December!

Oh wait, that's not that good. Suspect that I'll get more done by then. I had better!

Anyway, this is a documentary focusing on a musician named Davis who has an unusual pasttime...he meets with Ku Klux Klan members and tries to get them to give up their racist ways. In return, they give him their hood and cape.

As he says several times, "How can you hate me if you don't know me?"

Film is interesting when it focuses on the main topic in the film.?

It also manages to fascinate in times outside that, but it does wobble a bit when it focuses on the larger picture of race.?

Davis pointing out that many people walk over where Martin Luther King did his I Have a Dream Speech is a highlight. As is his conversation with a woman who asks him "How long is your documentary?" when he starts asking about how far we have to go on things.

As for the controversy, well, I think a little less of the Black Lives Matter movement after seeing their shameful behavior in Baltimore,?

It's one thing to question whether it is the best way to approach racism (he has a more productive similar conversation with someone from the Southern Poverty Law Center).

It's quite another to a) mock one guy's work by making fun of his lack of productivity (excuse me, he's trying to turn the hardest hearts here and THAT takes time), b) arguing that he has a fetish for KKK gear (ugh), and c) not even have the courtesy to sit down and have a conversation with someone who's attacking things from a different way (when the leader shows up refusing to shake his hand and bellowing a tantrum like a spoiled 3 year old, yeah, THAT reflects well on your movement).

But the leader does have a point: there are KKK members in Maryland (a Baltimore paper did a photographic essay on several of them).

Worst of the four films, and it's still fairly good.

Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Stopped Worrying and Loved the Bomb (I think that's the full title. If not, I think you know what film this is)

I think I have kinda given up on falling in love with any Stanley Kubrick film outside of A Clockwork Orange. I suspect that might have been his last chance.

There were some rather amusing moments, such as when Peter Sellers (as the British assistant of the crazy American sergeant) tries to convince an MP to shoot a Coca-Cola coin box. Or when Strangelove (Sellers) is talking and he can't put his hand down. Or when the American President (Sellers again) is trying to convince his Russian counterpart who is more sorry.

The plot? American sergeant in Alaska decides to call an audible and send his air force troops on a bombing run to Russia. But we learn that this might a) lead to a massive Russian counterattack and/or b) activate the Doomsday device that will kill us all.

Main issue here is tone clashes. At times, this film leans strongly towards the absurd (such as an ending conversation which still resonates). But it also wants to be taken seriously as we have some tense moments on the aircraft that's flying towards its target (led by Slim Pickens and featuring James Earl Jones).

It's good, but perhaps it could have been great.

Wonder if others think it plays as a horror at times especially now?

The Conjuring

At its surface, a familiar enough tale that might remind some of Poltergeist or The Exorcist.

But familiarity can work if the film contains craftsmanship at work with interesting characters, situations, and dialogue.

And for the most part, this film succeeds showing the versatility of one James Wan in the process.

The plot is that a trucker husband (Ron Livingston), his wife (Lili Taylor!), and five daughters move into a farmhouse. But when strange things start to happen, they learn too late of its history.

The wife seeks the help of a husband/wife team (Patrick Wilson/Vera Farmiga) who have experiences with ghosts and demons. He's performed exorcisms while she can see visions (but it can take something out of her).

They see trouble ahead and decide to give the house a thorough testing before seeking help from the Catholic Church.

The film concerns itself with the characters as much as it does the scares. And the scares here tend to be more organic in nature, not relying on jumping cats or bowling balls landing on a piano. They're also better spaced (not relying on waiting until the end for all the good stuff like some horrors *cough*Paranormal Activity*cough))

The climactic sequence didn't quite hold my attention the way the rest of the film did. It felt more old hat, more standard than the rest of the film.

But I do find myself looking forward to Part 2. I'm not so keen on the spinoff Dead Silence Annabelle.

Beauty and the Beast (1991):

I just had to see it for myself.

They've been playing it at work, but I didn't want to get some weird looks for being in the kid's area on my own time.

I was thinking as I saw bits and pieces that I couldn't believe that this was the first animated film nominated for best picture.

But as it turns out, I should have seen the whole thing beginning to end.

It's shamelessly sentimental. But it's flat-out great.

The plot: Young prince scoffs at old woman needing shelter, but it turns out that a young enchantress has tricked him revealing his lack of heart and turns him into a beast. If he finds true love before he turns 21 and the magical rose completely wilts, then he can convert back. If not, he'll stay the way he is and his household servants will stay various objects as well.

Enter Belle, a relatively modern princess more into books than the local conceited hunk Gaston. When her sickly inventor father ends up captured by the Beast, she sets out to find him.

A grand bargain is made and she becomes prisoner. But as she gets to truly know the Beast, she starts to melt that gruff exterior and he shows her kindness. Might love be in bloom? And what of Gaston who doesn't take no for an answer?

Great film (Be Our Guest is a particular standout) with good tunes and great visuals (I dug the settee dog!).?

For those wondering about whether I am ever going to do a video, I'm tempted to do one on a particular topic that this film has kind of inspired.

NEXT: Fine, I'll finish Mommy. I'm fairly close to the end and if I give it one final push, maybe I'll get there.

Other films yet to come:
Safe Haven
Ride Along
Neighbors
The Fits
Hot Pursuit
Last Summer
Judgement at Nuremberg
The Bad Kids
Ovarian Psyclos
Newtown
Seed: The Untold Story*
Love is a Many Splendored Thing*
Apr 20, 2017 4:49 AM
0 0
Nice haul. I heard about that one guy that tries to change racists views. Sounds interesting. Don't watch too many docs these days though. I have the National Lampoon's documentary to watch this week though.

Did you finish Mommy? I saw Logan and it's the best movie I've seen this year. Will satisfy anyone's fix for drama and superhero films.
Apr 20, 2017 5:11 AM
0 0
Black PhilipNice haul. I heard about that one guy that tries to change racists views. Sounds interesting. Don't watch too many docs these days though. I have the National Lampoon's documentary to watch this week though.

Did you finish Mommy? I saw Logan and it's the best movie I've seen this year. Will satisfy anyone's fix for drama and superhero films.

If you have Netflix, Accidental Courtesy is available there as well.

Nope, I'm at the part where he is at the store and just cut his wrist.

Good to know on Logan. Should I have seen the Wolverine spinoff films to appreciate this one, or can I get by by just seeing the X-Men ones?
Apr 21, 2017 4:45 AM
0 0
Leaping back in again. ?Tomorrow, will tackle There Goes My Baby, a 1965 set coming of age drama with Rick Schroeder, Noah Wyle, and Dermot Mulroney. ?Hopefully by then, will be done with Mommy as well.
Apr 25, 2017 4:36 AM
0 0
Apex Predator
Black PhilipNice haul. I heard about that one guy that tries to change racists views. Sounds interesting. Don't watch too many docs these days though. I have the National Lampoon's documentary to watch this week though.

If you have Netflix, Accidental Courtesy is available there as well.

Nope, I'm at the part where he is at the store and just cut his wrist.

Good to know on Logan. Should I have seen the Wolverine spinoff films to appreciate this one, or can I get by by just seeing the X-Men ones?

No. Logan really doesn't have much to do with the other Wolverine films. Those are more superhero films. This is part superhero film and a good dose of drama. Dare I say it's the best film I've seen this year with a great performance from the young girl.
I haven't seen Mommy yet but you better finish soon.
Apr 25, 2017 4:41 AM
0 0
Apex PredatorAccidental Courtesy: Daryl Davis, Race, and America:

I've met Daryl Davis (when he came to speak at my school back in the 90s) and he's a very interesting guy. I hadn't realized there was a documentary about him. There is certainly a KKK presence in Maryland (where I grew up), even in the most liberal enclaves. Not sure the extent of its presence now, but one of my co-workers told a story about playing at a friend's house as a child and opening a closet door to find a full Klan robe and hood.
Davis takes an approach very much mired in empathy. I can understand why it's infuriating to some people, but I think that from an emotional, long-lasting point of view it is a very necessary element to have in any movement for widespread social change.

I find the story of small groups or individuals trying to make social change really interesting. There is another documentary called The Interrupters?that I found really powerful and moving.
Apr 26, 2017 1:13 AM
0 0
What are your thoughts on some of Kubrick's other films? I'm curious.

Anyways, I loved Dr. Strangelove. It's one of my favorite comedies of all time. As for the tone clashes, I don't really see an issue. During the scene when the airplane was flying close to its target, I found that scene more humorous than serious, because I knew that if they were able to reach their target, they'd bring about the end of the world. The crew's 'heroism' in that scene seemed ironic. I also found it ironic how Kong's heroic sacrifice brought about the end of the world. I feel like the film was able to make humor out of its suspenseful moments.

Also, I recommend Kubrick's The Killing if you haven't seen it yet. I feel like it's one of Kubrick's more under seen films.

As for Beauty and the Beast, I enjoyed it quite a bit. By the way, what were your thoughts on the recent adaptation of the film? I wasn't that big on it, but maybe you liked it better than I did.
Apr 26, 2017 1:39 AM
0 0
Takoma1
Apex PredatorAccidental Courtesy: Daryl Davis, Race, and America:

I've met Daryl Davis (when he came to speak at my school back in the 90s) and he's a very interesting guy. I hadn't realized there was a documentary about him. There is certainly a KKK presence in Maryland (where I grew up), even in the most liberal enclaves. Not sure the extent of its presence now, but one of my co-workers told a story about playing at a friend's house as a child and opening a closet door to find a full Klan robe and hood.
Davis takes an approach very much mired in empathy. I can understand why it's infuriating to some people, but I think that from an emotional, long-lasting point of view it is a very necessary element to have in any movement for widespread social change.

I find the story of small groups or individuals trying to make social change really interesting. There is another documentary called The Interrupters?that I found really powerful and moving.

Wow, I did not know that, Takoma.

Yeah, the documentary just came out in January and showed up in PBS about a month or so ago.

Found out about the KKK presence due to a small Baltimore online magazine that published several galleries including one dealing with Klansmembers marrying among other things. I suspect it's gotten smaller, but it's still there.

This is true about Davis's approach. The film does tackle whether it's necessarily the best approach during several conversations and I did appreciate the film willing to tackle that point of view.

I think it comes down to a comprehensive approach where one size does not fit all. This is apparent during the interview he has with the Southern Poverty Network guy where he explains to Davis what he does which is to criminalize the groups. It's clear that they're tackling things in different ways, but I think both approaches are valid.

The Interrupters? I'll keep my eye for it even though it appears to be not streaming anywhere at the moment. Maybe it'll show up on YouTube?

Unrelated, but there was a Frontline report on Solitary Confinement and how it affects people that I do need to finish.
Apr 26, 2017 2:28 AM
0 0
Popcorn ReviewsWhat are your thoughts on some of Kubrick's other films? I'm curious.

Anyways, I loved Dr. Strangelove. It's one of my favorite comedies of all time. As for the tone clashes, I don't really see an issue. During the scene when the airplane was flying close to its target, I found that scene more humorous than serious, because I knew that if they were able to reach their target, they'd bring about the end of the world. The crew's 'heroism' in that scene seemed ironic. I also found it ironic how Kong's heroic sacrifice brought about the end of the world. I feel like the film was able to make humor out of its suspenseful moments.

Also, I recommend Kubrick's The Killing if you haven't seen it yet. I feel like it's one of Kubrick's more under seen films.

As for Beauty and the Beast, I enjoyed it quite a bit. By the way, what were your thoughts on the recent adaptation of the film? I wasn't that big on it, but maybe you liked it better than I did.

Stanley Kubrick's films have generally left me chilled.

A brief rating of the ones I've seen:

Great:
A Clockwork Orange

Good:
Dr. Strangelove
The Shining (maybe King hates it, but I thought Kubrick did pretty good with it. Even though his treatment of Shelly Duvall was uncalled for)

Okayish:
Full Metal Jacket (loses steam once it hits the battlefield)

Bad:
Eyes Wide Shut

Rewatch-worthy:
2001: A Space Odyssey (didn't care for it the first time; only the Hal sequence really stood out for me)

Seen parts:
Spartacus (Can't really review it, though)

As for the Beauty and the Beast remake, haven't seen it yet. And odds are good I won't see it for a while. It looks well enough, but I don't think I cared for the hype about the "gay" character (odds are it's much ado about very little).
Apr 26, 2017 2:33 AM
0 0
At least we have similar opinions on A Clockwork Orange. I'd definitely check out The Killing sometime in the future though. It's really good.
Apr 26, 2017 2:35 AM
0 0
Will finish Mommy tonight/tomorrow, I swear! Don't hate on me, please.

So, There Goes My Baby:

I've seen the Videohound give this one 2 and a half bones and Leonard Maltin give this 3 stars.

Did they see the same film I did? Doubt it.

Anyway, a group of 8 students is considered the "Future of the Country" thanks to a Look front cover and article in 1962.

Three years later, the 8 get ready to graduate high school.

There's Stick (Rick, don't call him Ricky, Schroeder), a dude who is heavily into surfing and who has signed up to join Vietnam.
There's Pirate (Dermot Mulroney), so called for a patch he wore during a sock hop performance in 1962, who dreams of traveling the USA.
There's Sunshine (Kelli Williams), a hippie chick who also happens to be Patch's girlfriend. She dreams of going to love ins at San Francisco.
There's Finnegan (Noah Wyle), the school newspaper editor who wants to go off to school to become a poet.
There's Tracy (Kristin Minter), Finnegan's girlfriend who just wants love, whether it's with Finnegan or someone else.
There's Babette (Jill Schoelen), a girl who aspires to be a musical star.
There's Calvin (Kenny Ransom), the only black guy in the school, who dreams of a promising future while worrying about relatives at Watts.
And there's Mary Beth (Lucy Deakins), the class valedictorian who wants to attend Berkeley even though her parents want her to attend UCLA.

Over the course of two nights, the 8 will deal with the Watts riots and a Vietnam protester (Shon Greenblatt), who is friends of two of the eight and who is given the business by their school's conservative principal (Fred Coffin).

There's plenty of music which was nice to hear. And there's some tense moments as Calvin and Finnegan make their way in Watts to check up on Calvin's grandmother.

But in their quest to put in enough music to cause the Time/Life 1960s collection to have envy, they left out fleshing out the characters.

As a result, the dramatic intent of the film is left hanging. As does some of the interesting subplots (some resentment in Watts of Calvin making good, for example).

There manages to be the occasional moment such as the riots and Stick's speech upon learning of the protester's fate in jail.

But it works better as a time capsule of the early-mid 1960s than as a solid drama.

A film like this should've challenged the characters more, perhaps even placing some of them into conflict in the course of the film. But it plays like a slate of oldies on an easy listening AM station.

Plus, there's the not so subtle metaphor of their hangout Pop's slated for destruction in two days so that a mall can take its place.

Overall, it's an OK time-waster. But it could have, should have been more.
Apr 26, 2017 2:58 AM
0 0
Alright, I've finally seen Mommy.

Last time I struggled with a film for so long, I really ended up liking it (We Are the Best). Would this film have the same fate?

Not quite. But at least it ended well.

As the film opens, Diane (Anne Dorval) picks up her son Steve (Antoine-Olivier Pilon) from an institution. Both mother and son are flawed but love each other much. When a necklace that Steve gives his mom leads to her suspecting she stole it, violent events happen.

Fortunately into their lives comes neighbor Kyla (Suzanne Clement). She's a former teacher who lives with a husband and daughter, but due to a stuttering problem finds herself stuck at home. She becomes a confidant to Diane and teacher to Steve who slowly starts to respect her.

But due to a fire he started at the institution, Diane finds herself under legal threat of a lawsuit for injuries sustained. And although they try to form a flawed family of sorts, Steve might need more help than either one would be able to give him.

Do they consider sending him to another institution, which is legal under Canadian law (at least in this film)? Or do they try to make it work no matter what?

The film is fairly well acted with some powerful moments, particularly towards the end. I did appreciate that all three of the main characters were flawed and their attempt to form a makeshift family reminded me in some ways of Million Dollar Baby (also, Ruth B's Peter Pan for similar reasons).

But I'd advise you to avoid any spoilers when it comes to the film. Even catching the opening crawl took a decent amount of suspense out of the film (I spoilered the basic part in the review).

As a director, Xavier Dolan had his moments. There's a beautiful sequence towards the end which gave an alternative account of how things might have gone. And he allows each of the three main characters to have at least one moment of impact.

But he's flawed. There are times he lets scenes play out too long, uses shots that don't make a lot of sense (even if he was trying to do something on artistic merit), and uses music at inappropriate times. But these are things where if he actually works on his craft, he'll pick up and become a better director. In some ways, i think he's a bit ahead of Harmony Korine right now.

Mommy wasn't great, but it was decent.

NEXT: Perhaps a mindless action comedy?
Apr 28, 2017 3:50 AM
0 0
Apex Predator
As a director, Xavier Dolan had his moments. There's a beautiful sequence towards the end which gave an alternative account of how things might have gone. And he allows each of the three main characters to have at least one moment of impact.

But he's flawed. There are times he lets scenes play out too long, uses shots that don't make a lot of sense (even if he was trying to do something on artistic merit), and uses music at inappropriate times. But these are things where if he actually works on his craft, he'll pick up and become a better director. In some ways, i think he's a bit ahead of Harmony Korine right now.

The only Dolan I've seen is Tom at the Farm?(which, as of a few months ago, was on Amazon prime--I watched it about a year ago). Dolan both directs and stars. While it suffered from some of the pacing you describe, it also does a very nice job of escalating the warped, unhealthy relationship at the center of the film. It also manages to use one startling shot at the end of the film to recontextualize a lot of what came before it. It's far from the action comedy you're ready for, but I'd recommend it as a good character-driven thriller.
Apr 29, 2017 5:52 PM
0 0
Takoma, thanks for the suggestion and I may get around to Tom at the Farm sometime.?

But my plans for a dumb action comedy faceplanted. Part of a four movie weekend which I'll start in on next.
May 1, 2017 1:14 AM
0 0
Apex PredatorTakoma, thanks for the suggestion and I may get around to Tom at the Farm sometime.?

But my plans for a dumb action comedy faceplanted. Part of a four movie weekend which I'll start in on next.

You should watch the 4-part documentary Hip-Hop Evolution on Netflix. Excellent.
May 1, 2017 1:53 AM
0 0
As usual, I go from worst to best:

Safe Haven

Wow, Lasse Hallstrom has fallen far from his heights. I can remember when he did films like Chocolat and The Cider House Rules.

But what? Is? This? Garbage?

Basically, this blond woman named Katie (Julianne Hough) is on the run for some crime involving a knife. She gets in a bus and manages to elude the police. She decides to stay in Southport, North Carolina after making a ten minute stop where she gets a job as a waitress and is wooed by general store owner Alex (Josh Duhamel) who is recovering from having lost his wife to cancer.

Did I mention that Alex has two kids and that Katie might have something to do with both of them finding happiness again?

Did I mention that he's wooing a blonde stranger who stabbed someone who he knows very little about?

Yeah, let's root for that romance while that other person may be dead or dying...

Before we can get too hard on them, we learn that Kevin (David Lyons) is a wee bit obsessed with finding this Erin who may bear a passing resemblance to our heroine Katie.

What follows hews pretty closely to formula. In this case a certain Julia Roberts film which isn't named Pretty Woman, but is actually named Sleeping with the Enemy.

The twists come fast and ludicrous, the chemistry between the two leads is lacking, and it becomes obvious that Julianne Hough isn't a good actress.

Some of the North Carolina scenery in the daytime is lovely, but the film itself is facepalm worthy.

Hot Pursuit

More like Not Pursuit, amiright?

Remember what I said about The Guilt Trip where Seth Rogen and Barbara Streisand traveled cross-country so he can sell his thingy and she could meet his real father?

What made it work was those were real characters grounded in real emotions and feelings.

Director Anne Fletcher should have taken her cue from that film when she directed Hot Pursuit. But nope.

The two lead characters are little more than cartoonish.

Rose Cooper (Reese Witherspoon) has always wanted to be a cop from the time she was young. But due to a misunderstanding of slang, she tased the mayor's son and he burst into flames. Her name became synonymous for screwing up.

Now working the evidence room, she looks forward to redemption. Also, she seems strangely like what would have happened to Judy Hopps in Zootopia before she met the fox.

Her boss (John Carroll Lynch) assigns her to assist FBI Agent Jackson (Richard T. Jones) in acquiring the testifying (and feuding) Felipe and Daniella Riva (Sofia Vergara).

But once they arrive, there's a shootout and the women are on the run for their lives.

They have a tight deadline to reach Dallas by early the next day so that she can testify against drug kingpin Cortez (Joaquin Cosio).

Not helping is that the two are considered fugitives from the law. Or that they can barely stand each other.

I laughed a few times admittedly. And one twist sorta threw me a little.

But this road comedy hits more than its share of potholes and sputters to a halt with a flat tire and an overheated engine.

There's a running joke that makes Rose shorter every time and Daniella older. Wasn't funny the first time, eye-rollingly bad the fourth.

Also, it wastes the talents of Mike Birbiglia and Jim Gaffigan.

This was the action comedy I was mentioning earlier.

Ride Along

The power of chemistry can compel a lesser film to greater heights. Such is the case of this Ice Cube/Kevin Hart comedy.

James (Ice Cube) is an Atlanta cop who's a bit obsessed with Omar, a master criminal who's killed everyone he's seen.

He also doesn't trust the judgment of his sister Angela (Tika Sumpter) who has fallen for Ben (Kevin Hart).

When Ben tells James that he's been accepted to the police academy, James has an idea to scare off Ben (hopefully from Angela as well).

Why he'll take Ben on a ride along to show him what an average day is like. But James plans on stacking the deck, throwing in all the crazy things he can think of.

But as the day progresses, Ben proves to be generally incompetent if somewhat useful in remembering conversations and James might find himself getting closer to Omar than he expected.

The chemistry between Cube and Hart is the film's best asset. Sumpter's character is a bit underwritten, but there's an amusing/nice part where she proves to be more than competent on the same game that Hart claims to be good at.

And Laurence Fishburne proves to be pretty good in a small, underwritten role as well. John Leguizamo acquits himself as a fellow cop of James's.

Action is fast and loud, the patter is fairly quick, and they managed to play off of Ben's videogame experience in a shootout. What more could you want?

A good story for one. This one is more interested in rolling through the cliches. And don't expect characters to grow all that much either.

Hart only annoyed me when he shrieked. Quit trying to rip off Chris Tucker, dude. Cube only annoyed when he started quoting from his own songs.

Overall, a passable time killer. No less, no more.

The Last Laugh

It puts the Ha in Holocaust

Don't hate me, it was one comic's review of Life is Beautiful. OK, it was Gilbert Gottfried.

This documentary almost feels like two.

In one, we meet Holocaust survivor Renee Firestone who has a grim sort of humor after her experiences. It helped her live and survive one of the most horrifying moments in history.

In the other, we meet various comics that discuss where the line is between what's funny and what's tasteless.

The connective tissue is Firestone looking at various videos of comedians poking fun at Nazis and the Holocaust.

A bit thin if you ask me.

The film makes some good points about using humor to puncture the boogeyman and how it allows people to survive dark times. The film has some clips from films such as The Producers, To Be or Not To Be, The Great Dictator, Life is Beautiful, and the unseen Jerry Lewis film The Day the Clown Cried.

Nothing really new if you seen the footage on Vimeo.

It is thought provoking, but doesn't feel as deep as it could have been.
May 1, 2017 2:38 AM
0 0
Next two-three films.

Right now, more than halfway done with The Fits. Looks interesting so far.

Question: For those who's seen that and The Falling, how similar are they? Are we talking Rec and Quarantine or is it just have similar elements?

After that, probably will peruse Florence Foster Jenkins and National Bird. The former is on Prime and the latter is on PBS.

If I get lucky, maybe I tackle something else this weekend. If not, that should be good enough for a weekend.
May 5, 2017 3:47 AM
0 0
Apex Predator

After that, probably will peruse Florence Foster Jenkins

This movie is so sweet and funny and just downright fun. Streep is both hilarious and moving as the lead, and Hugh Grant brings a surprising depth to his character. I found a few sequences to be a little overly contrived, but every single scene of Florence completely butchering a song more than makes up for it. Perhaps the best "bad" singing I've ever seen on film.
May 6, 2017 2:21 AM
0 0
Takoma1
Apex Predator

After that, probably will peruse Florence Foster Jenkins

This movie is so sweet and funny and just downright fun. Streep is both hilarious and moving as the lead, and Hugh Grant brings a surprising depth to his character. I found a few sequences to be a little overly contrived, but every single scene of Florence completely butchering a song more than makes up for it. Perhaps the best "bad" singing I've ever seen on film.

Good to know.
For those who's seen both, how does Margurite compare to Florence Foster Jenkins? One clearly better than the other? Or do both have their strengths?
May 7, 2017 1:13 AM
0 0