The everything thread

NimChimpskyI can log in on mobile, which is like 90% of my posting, so whew.

It's back on my computer, I'd like to think my @ shaming of RT's twitter account worked. It almost certainly didn't, but I enjoy the fantasy.
Oct 7, 2017 2:05 PM
0 0
In case the login link goes away again, I created a workaround: http://www.wirthling.com/rt_login.html

- put your username in first field, password in second field, click submit button, ignore the gobbledygook and open RT in another tab*
- not pretty, but CORS policy (or lack thereof) on RT's side prevents a pretty AJAX solution (there may be a workaround but I don't feel like looking for it now)
- no, I won't see your password -- this is a simple html form that submits the data directly to RT's login API
- this won't work if the RT login API is down, which might be why we weren't seeing the login link last night, so this might not fix anything

*The first time I tested it and went straight from the login result to RT in the same browser tab it didn't show me as logged in. It worked when I opened up RT in another tab, though. I'm unclear on why that would matter, as the result of the login should be to set the necessary cookies to keep you logged in, but whatever. After you are in RT and logged in you can close the tab where you logged in.

Feel free to test this next time you're not logged in.
Oct 7, 2017 3:21 PM
0 0
wirthlingIn case the login link goes away again, I created a workaround: http://www.wirthling.com/rt_login.html

- put your username in first field, password in second field, click submit button, ignore the gobbledygook and open RT in another tab*
- not pretty, but CORS policy (or lack thereof) on RT's side prevents a pretty AJAX solution (there may be a workaround but I don't feel like looking for it now)
- no, I won't see your password -- this is a simple html form that submits the data directly to RT's login API
- this won't work if the RT login API is down, which might be why we weren't seeing the login link last night, so this might not fix anything

*The first time I tested it and went straight from the login result to RT in the same browser tab it didn't show me as logged in. It worked when I opened up RT in another tab, though. I'm unclear on why that would matter, as the result of the login should be to set the necessary cookies to keep you logged in, but whatever. After you are in RT and logged in you can close the tab where you logged in.

Feel free to test this next time you're not logged in.

Wirthling's gonna steal all our passwords.
Oct 7, 2017 3:39 PM
0 0
Anyway, wirthling, that worked in incognito mode and I'm very grateful. You are allowed to use my RT password as a basis for figuring my banking account login. Enjoy all ten of the dollars in there.
Oct 7, 2017 3:41 PM
0 0
I'm surprised it worked in incognito mode. I thought the point of incognito mode is that it ignores your cookies. I know nothing, Jon Snow.
Oct 7, 2017 3:49 PM
0 0
wirthlingI'm surprised it worked in incognito mode. I thought the point of incognito mode is that it ignores your cookies. I know nothing, Jon Snow.

I think just for the incognito session? I've used it to log on when using a public computer, right after I open 8 xtube tabs and put the volume at max.
Oct 7, 2017 4:11 PM
0 0
wirthlingI created a workaround

ooooh. Manually or some kind of machine. OH MY
Oct 9, 2017 8:00 AM
0 0
Meow
wirthlingI'm surprised it worked in incognito mode. I thought the point of incognito mode is that it ignores your cookies. I know nothing, Jon Snow.

I think just for the incognito session? I've used it to log on when using a public computer, right after I open 8 xtube tabs and put the volume at max.

I have used it a few more times and have noted that it occasionally does not work, but pretty much every time I have tried a second time it has worked. I mean, even the times it doesn't work, it technically works, in that you can see by the returned data that the login was successful, but the cookie doesn't get properly written such that I appear to be logged in at RT. My best guess is that the hamster powering that server has a cold.
Oct 9, 2017 11:57 AM
0 0
Gigantopithecus
wirthlingI created a workaround

ooooh. Manually or some kind of machine. OH MY

I'm a wizard, motherfucker.
Oct 9, 2017 11:58 AM
0 0
My brother wrote about meeting the Dalai Lama for Daily Kos (yes, I know).
Oct 11, 2017 3:05 AM
0 0
I'm conflicted. A friend's nephew, with whom I shared a residence for several months a couple years ago, apparently died yesterday. (I don't know the cause of death and don't want to pry.) Part of me wants to feel bad, but then again he was a piece of shit who impregnated and abandoned a couple women and stole stuff from me and lied (poorly) about me to cover his tracks and drove drunk or otherwise intoxicated all the time. R.I.P., asshole?
Oct 11, 2017 2:26 PM
0 0
kgaardMy brother wrote about meeting the Dalai Lama for Daily Kos (yes, I know).

That's nice. Didn't see any question of whether the lama decries the genocide of Muslim Rohingyas at the hands of Buddhists.

I took Buddhist Meditation in college at the hands of a student of the dalai lama.

Good philosophy, ideally. Still as prone to genocide and death as any other though. Despite your brother's, or the dalai's, or Myanmar's, or Sam Harris's, or India's protestations. Or meditating on peace and communion (non-religious).

It's odd to meet a living Supreme Leader (which aside from The Pope no religion has) and not challenge him on what followers of his religion are doing in his name or against the philosophy of The Buddha.

Not that is a knock against you or your brother. But as a student of the Buddhist ideal (an atheist me, but still useful as a meditative peace, in life, and providing a gentle nature towards living things), living Buddhists are as far from that as the NT Jesus Ideal or the more peaceful Islamic traditions. There does exist a violent form of Buddhism. The dalai lama could choose to reject that, or note it, or remain silent until he dies and the next living incarnation might speak up instead.

Unfortunately with Chinese machinations any current Dalai needs to also be a political leader. But that still should seem lesser than calling out any other Buddhists who are being evil and murderous.

I could meet Al-Zawarhiri and get a nice interview if I never broached that he was in fact complicit in the despicable poisoning of what "jihad" should be, not to mention in the 9/11 attack. If I would never ask how he justifies that, except of an obscure passage about infidels. And he, unlike the dalai lama, isn't at all a leader of Islam. Many Muftis and hundreds of imams have disclaimed his interpretation and disclaimed murdering innocents as any kind of valid jihad. And not that such an interview wouldn't be worthwhile. Could get into his mind and justifications.

What is the dalai lamas' interpretation? That even as a Supreme Leader he somehow is innable to initiate a "jihad" or "edict" of Buddhism that says: "any Buddhist murdering Muslims etc. are not in keeping with our [not faith] philosophy"??

Blind and mute is blind and mute. Especially despicable from Popes in the long-times ago. Now despicable by the head Buddhist in charge.

A head of Buddhism should in my sense call out the worldwide meat industry (not a vegan, I like meat, but I can respect such a call), which kills animals. Buddhisms are killing humans now. A head of Buddhism might want to make some statement about that (?)

Okay here's something (my apologies against the dalai lama for my sense that he hadn't spoken out):

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/11/asia/rohingya-dalai-lama-myanmar/index.html

Is there a way to excommunicate fellow "Buddhists'?
Oct 12, 2017 8:06 AM
0 0
Gig, in all of your Buddhist Meditation classes, did anyone ever bother to point out the difference between Theraveda and Mahayana?
Oct 12, 2017 8:51 AM
0 0
wirthlingI'm conflicted. A friend's nephew, with whom I shared a residence for several months a couple years ago, apparently died yesterday. (I don't know the cause of death and don't want to pry.) Part of me wants to feel bad, but then again he was a piece of shit who impregnated and abandoned a couple women and stole stuff from me and lied (poorly) about me to cover his tracks and drove drunk or otherwise intoxicated all the time. R.I.P., asshole?

Turns out he OD'd. If Family Feud asked a hundred people how this guy would go, an OD definitely would have been at or near the top. Still, sad. Was a young guy I'd known since he was a kid.
Oct 12, 2017 3:36 PM
0 0
Janson JinnistanGig, in all of your Buddhist Meditation classes, did anyone ever bother to point out the difference between Theraveda and Mahayana?

Giganto's stupid points aside:

A) the Dalai Lama is neither Theravada nor Mahayana. You know that, right?

B) even if the Dalai Lama condoned genocide (which he obviously doesn't), why would subscribing to a different subset of Buddhist thought somehow absolve him?
Oct 12, 2017 4:01 PM
0 0
DyneA) the Dalai Lama is neither Theravada nor Mahayana. You know that, right?

That's not the point I was making. The Theravada/Mahayana split in Buddhism is simply the most basic to demonstrate that not all Buddhists are in the same boat in their beliefs and practices. Most Buddhists do not recognize the Dalai Lama, so Gig's presenting him as the official figurehead of the religion is completely misleading. The Tibetan system is closer to Mahayana than Theraveda, and the latter is the branch from which the Burmese "nationalist Buddhists" (which is such a philosophical oxymoron) spring from, and there's no reason to believe that they would yield to anything the Dalai Lama has to say to them.

DyneB) even if the Dalai Lama condoned genocide (which he obviously doesn't), why would subscribing to a different subset of Buddhist thought somehow absolve him?

It wouldn't, but it wouldn't necessarily involve him either. If asked, I have a hard time believing that he could support it (and I agree that someone should ask him about it), but Gig is placing a responsibility onto the Dalai Lama that he doesn't have. And furthermore, what is taking place in Burma is not exactly typical for most Buddhist societies. I'd be curious if Gig could produce which of these Buddhist doctrines that allow and endorse such ethnic cleaning for non-subscribers.
Oct 12, 2017 4:15 PM
0 0
Janson Jinnistan(and I agree that someone should ask him about it)

I see now that Gig's added CNN link even makes this a moot point.

Anyway, the Dalai Lama is not the "head Buddha in charge" or whatever, and certainly not the "Supreme Leader" over the entire religion.
Oct 12, 2017 4:22 PM
0 0
I'll be sure to tell my brother to ask the Dalai Lama about all this stuff the next time they hang out.
Oct 12, 2017 4:52 PM
0 0
kgaardI'll be sure to tell my brother to ask the Dalai Lama about all this stuff the next time they hang out.

Have him do this.
Oct 12, 2017 5:03 PM
0 0
Oct 14, 2017 2:31 PM
0 0