Football/Soccer Forever

Original Poster
Time to fire this up. James Milner looks to be headed to Man City, Joe Cole is already at Liverpool, Mancini is talking up Donovan. Mascherano may be off to Inter. Cech is out, Hilario is in. Vuvuzelas are being banned left and right. And tonight Thierry Henry debuts for Red Bulls against old rivals Tottenham (yeah, it's MLS and a friendly, but still).
Jul 22, 2010 1:28 PM
0 0
EPL-wise, this summer has been most interesting for the lack of movement from Chelsea and Man Utd. While none of the guys Chelsea let go were major components of the title team, the fact that they have been replaced by all of Yossi Benayoun is weird. As much as Michael Ballack is no longer a force, I thought he provided valuable cover for Essen and Mikel, which turned out to be vital. It seems like an older, thinner group for Chelsea. And then I can't figure out United's midfield. It seems so pedestrian between ancients like Giggs and Scholes and the unproven younger players. The wingers are good, but it seems like they should get dominated in the middle of the pitch by most of their rivals.

I guess Liverpool aren't nearly done, but the team they're putting together seems likely to be pretty unbalanced in terms of where the wages are paid. They will really miss Mascherano's steel and don't seem likely to have the money to replace him with much.
Jul 22, 2010 3:40 PM
0 0
Zuben;18496684Good luck with this guys!

Maybe in like six months you can make a football/soccer thread for this season and show everyone how it's done.
Jul 22, 2010 4:17 PM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair;18496614EPL-wise, this summer has been most interesting for the lack of movement from Chelsea and Man Utd. While none of the guys Chelsea let go were major components of the title team, the fact that they have been replaced by all of Yossi Benayoun is weird. As much as Michael Ballack is no longer a force, I thought he provided valuable cover for Essen and Mikel, which turned out to be vital. It seems like an older, thinner group for Chelsea. And then I can't figure out United's midfield. It seems so pedestrian between ancients like Giggs and Scholes and the unproven younger players. The wingers are good, but it seems like they should get dominated in the middle of the pitch by most of their rivals.

I guess Liverpool aren't nearly done, but the team they're putting together seems likely to be pretty unbalanced in terms of where the wages are paid. They will really miss Mascherano's steel and don't seem likely to have the money to replace him with much.

I assume this is behind Harry Redknapp's claim that Spurs can win the league. I'm dubious, but there's at least the potential for a wide-open race (meaning, I guess, Arsenal and maybe Spurs and Man City also have a shot).

You do have to wonder how long Ferguson can keep going back to the Giggs-Scholes well. Scholes did bail them out against Man City last season, but there are a lot of miles on those legs.

I'd feel better about Spurs if they added another central defender and a high-quality striker. I keep hearing about Forlan or Fabiano, but I'd rather have a younger player--Luis Suarez comes to mind, though I have no idea if Ajax would sell him or if Spurs could afford it.
Jul 23, 2010 7:21 AM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair;18496614I guess Liverpool aren't nearly done, but the team they're putting together seems likely to be pretty unbalanced in terms of where the wages are paid. They will really miss Mascherano's steel and don't seem likely to have the money to replace him with much.

If Mascher is sold they will have 20-25M to find two LB's, a second striker and a CDM. Do-able but the quality of players will be questioned. If Huntelaar signs on loan, they will have a chance to be competitive with the monies left.
Jul 23, 2010 7:47 AM
0 0
kgaard;18497876I assume this is behind Harry Redknapp's claim that Spurs can win the league. I'm dubious, but there's at least the potential for a wide-open race (meaning, I guess, Arsenal and maybe Spurs and Man City also have a shot).

You do have to wonder how long Ferguson can keep going back to the Giggs-Scholes well. Scholes did bail them out against Man City last season, but there are a lot of miles on those legs.

I'd feel better about Spurs if they added another central defender and a high-quality striker. I keep hearing about Forlan or Fabiano, but I'd rather have a younger player--Luis Suarez comes to mind, though I have no idea if Ajax would sell him or if Spurs could afford it.

Spurs always have cash.

Citeh's purchases are beyond confusing and Mancini is **** but they can field an impressive 11. They might leap over Arsenal unless Wenger can find a keeper and replace Eduardo. Not sold on Chamakh.
Jul 23, 2010 7:53 AM
0 0
How many games are in a soccer season? tia
Jul 23, 2010 7:57 AM
0 0
John S.;18497918How many games are in a soccer season? tia

Depends on the league, but over a 30 games. Besides the regular season, then there's regional cups and Champions League, etc. Some teams play up to 60 games.
Jul 23, 2010 8:12 AM
0 0
Shots from the Red Bulls-Tottenham friendly last night:

Jul 23, 2010 10:13 AM
0 0
When do the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, etc. seasons start? Do their seasons span roughly the same time period? How do you people watch these games?
Jul 23, 2010 12:20 PM
0 0
Xenophon;18498427When do the EPL, La Liga, Serie A, etc. seasons start? Do their seasons span roughly the same time period? How do you people watch these games?

EPL starts in mid-August, and I think La Liga and Series A are shortly after. If I recall, La Liga is usually two weeks behind or so.
Jul 23, 2010 12:23 PM
0 0
The whole of the French World Cup team have been suspended from their next match.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8849972.stm
Jul 23, 2010 12:31 PM
0 0
Bigwig;18498434EPL starts in mid-August, and I think La Liga and Series A are shortly after. If I recall, La Liga is usually two weeks behind or so.

La Liga begins August 29.
Jul 23, 2010 12:33 PM
0 0
Xenophon;18498427 How do you people watch these games?

I assume ESPN will again be showing EPL (mostly early Saturday) and La Liga (mostly Sunday afternoon); Fox Soccer Channel shows EPL and Serie A. I don't get GOL TV but it looks like they carry La Liga and the Bundesliga.
Jul 23, 2010 12:58 PM
0 0
Yeah, GOL TV shows La Liga and Bundesliga.

You can get overloaded though if you follow every damn league. With ESPNs continued involvement, there should be six or so EPL games on every week.
Jul 23, 2010 2:01 PM
0 0
kgaard;18497876I assume this is behind Harry Redknapp's claim that Spurs can win the league. I'm dubious, but there's at least the potential for a wide-open race (meaning, I guess, Arsenal and maybe Spurs and Man City also have a shot).

At this point, if Arsenal hold on to Fabregas, I'm not sure I wouldn't push them past United. Especially if they shore up the goalkeeping. I don't know who I would pick based on the teams as they stand - Chelsea is aging (most of their top players should be worse this season and they lost a lot from the free transfers - Benayoun and Ramires do not make up for much of that), Man City probably have the most talent but it's easy to see them failing to put it together. Man Utd is becoming Rooney and some dudes. Normally I would say that Spurs might regress, but they've probably held up better than most of the rest of the top 5.

[quote]I'd feel better about Spurs if they added another central defender and a high-quality striker. I keep hearing about Forlan or Fabiano, but I'd rather have a younger player--Luis Suarez comes to mind, though I have no idea if Ajax would sell him or if Spurs could afford it.[/QUOTE]

Have you no honor? You can have Bendtner if you want. I hate that dude.

a.k.a. I-D-I-O-T;18497906If Mascher is sold they will have 20-25M to find two LB's, a second striker and a CDM. Do-able but the quality of players will be questioned.

To say the least. And how much of that money would they plow back into the team this time? They have some debt to service.
Jul 23, 2010 4:28 PM
0 0
First-ever in-person City game last night, very lackluster friendly with Sporting Lisbon. I know it's preseason and they're surely trying to offload him, but when I spend 60 bucks for a ticket plus various travel expenses, I'm sort of hoping I don't see Jo starting at center forward. I guess there's always Sunday.
Jul 24, 2010 8:55 AM
0 0
Does anyone here besides me care about the Dutch Eredivisie? :p
Jul 24, 2010 4:37 PM
0 0
Infinitus Corsair;18498912

Have you no honor? You can have Bendtner if you want. I hate that dude.

What, because of the handball? I never that was the worst crime against footballing ever.

Nice try getting rid of Bendtner though.
Jul 24, 2010 8:47 PM
0 0
Jul 27, 2010 6:32 AM
0 0