Sierra Bonita Apartment Goof - Others?

Original Poster
I found a goof (continuity error) watching the Sierra Bonita Apartment scene - while checking something out so that I could answer a thread .. ;)

After seeing the names/apartment numbers - Betty and Rita come around a corner heading counter-clockwise. They continue going left until they come to a large wooden door/gate (1:30:25) where they now go right (and straight for several steps), then another left again and they see apartment 12 before them.

After talking with the tenant, they continue left (counter-clockwise) around the building ... only now the door/gate is in back of them again (1:32:45). As they already took a left just to be able to see apartment 12 and then they take a further left after that ... well it's impossible for the door to be there again let alone as close as they are to it (when apartment 17 is "down the end on the left").

The door/gate has a distinctive fake facade next to it with dark brown and light brown bricks. The bricks are identical.

There are some goofs listed on IMDB.com. Other goofs that have been noticed?
Sep 24, 2002 8:53 AM
0 0
Well, I found another error while checking out the black book/seedy office scene.

When one criminal shoots the other criminal - he also, by accident shoots a woman in the adjacent office. As we see him go out you can see a poster with the words Italy to the right of the desk. The poster has a large red circle kind of shape on it.

When he drags the woman back into the office, you can still see the circle shape but now blood is dripping down the poster - where it wasn't before.

Yes, the wonder that is the DVD ...
Sep 26, 2002 7:53 PM
0 0
Well it's all a dream anyways so any continuity issue are moot.
Sep 26, 2002 11:33 PM
0 0
All my dreams are that way, Tristan! In beautiful dreams...
Sep 27, 2002 12:12 AM
0 0
The biggest goof I've found concerns the purse in the hat box. When Betty and Rita put it in there, it is zipped up and put on it's side and the hat is put on top of it. When Rita pulls the purse out after Silencio it is upright and unzipped and no hat. There is a scene in the pilot where they go back to the purse and Rita offers Betty the money, I'm thinking this scene was cut out in the final edit.
Sep 27, 2002 9:34 AM
0 0
I once dreamt I found the head of Jose Ferrer in the frozen food section of my local grocery store.......

'continuity' is the <i>least</i> worrisome aspect of my dreams
Sep 27, 2002 12:31 PM
0 0
"I once dreamt I found the head of Jose Ferrer in the frozen food section of my local grocery store......."

Thanks, Neely. Thanks a lot. Well, now I guess it's gonna be grilled cheese tonight...

And Richard -- it's "'Swhat I'm thinkin'." If you're gonna do it -- ya gotta do it right. ;)
Sep 27, 2002 1:04 PM
0 0
I'm sure we can't all agree as to what was a dream in MH and what wasn't and I'm doubtful that we can all agree as to what a goof is (particularly when a dream is involved) but here goes ...

It is a goof if:

That, as craftsmen, the filmmakers likely did not intend that the lack of continuity (or other error) be present in the movie or for them to be considered unobservant or careless.

That the filmmakers would not wish there to be a goof in the movie that would indicate that it were a dream (e.g. dress is one color and then changes color in the same scene).

I hate to bring logic into the mix - particularly after the Jose Ferrer post ... (Neely ... that made me laugh) but there it is.
Sep 27, 2002 1:19 PM
0 0
ctyankee, interesting stuff.

For now, I'd like to throw in a couple of dialogue goofs -- at least I think they are:

1) When Woody says "Acting is reacting" -- he should definitely have emphasized the "re" but didn't. The thing is, the whole scene came off so wonderfully, if I were Lynch, I would absolutely have let this pass.

2) When Rita first starts murmuring about "silencio" in bed, she says, "...orchesta" instead of "...orchestra." Even though it's Spanish, I'm pretty sure it should have been "orchestra."

Ah, maybe I'm just nitpicking, though.
Sep 27, 2002 1:52 PM
0 0
Thing is, Woody is supposed to be something of a burn out, so his failure to emphasize the right syllable is probably the "right choice" for this actor to make. Intentional or no.
Sep 27, 2002 2:32 PM
0 0
Dan, interesting take. Perhaps the leathery old roue's (yeah -- I stole this imagery from a review or something; heh) pronunciation was simply natural for him -- and deliberate on Lynch's part. Hmmmm.....

Tristan -- as I recall (the last time I saw it was last June or so), the dectective really does slur the first two words together. And he barely moves his lips while doin' it.
Sep 27, 2002 6:13 PM
0 0
Found another goof - in the small time crook scene (the black book scene).

The scene starts with an outside shot of the side of the building. It becomes clear that the crook is in the top right office (from POV shot as well as fire escape. Also, the top floor is the only floor that has three windows grouped together (as well as being arched). The lower floors have 2.

The office next door with the Enzyme woman in it has a large sticker on the outside window (facing out) that says Enzyme + Plus. From the outside shot there is no sign in the window.

As far as goofs involving slurring of words. As people do that in normal speech, it is much like coughing or clearing your throat. It may not even be recognizable what they say. Really, no different from hearing some music and not knowing what the lead singer is saying. Not perfect but hard to call it a goof.

Now in the Linney scene when she says a film "you will kill" rather than "you will kill for" - you have to assume that the director intended it as such. Even if he didn't - choosing what words a director or actor should or shouldn't be saying (or how they say them) is more personal preference than an unintended goof.
Oct 4, 2002 12:40 PM
0 0
Continuity errors? Schmontinuity errors! As one cat above said, it's all a dream. Also, ain't it so Lynchian to have mistakes like that?

If you ask Guy Slow, Guy Slow says that both chicks are HOT, and the lesbo action in the movie is to DIE FOR!!!
Oct 5, 2002 2:08 AM
0 0
The keyhole in the blue box is a triangle. Its orientation on the box is changing each time you see it (in the silencio and at home).
First I believed it was a goof but it is probably intentional since it warns us that the blue box is "magic".
Oct 13, 2002 8:00 AM
0 0
It could be a goof but I really believe that Lynch did it intentionally. The key hole is an intermediate space between in and out. Inside the blue box "world" is different from outside because Rita is already dead. The incoherence between the two worlds is symbolically represented by the incoherence of orientation of that keyhole, as if Diane could not focalize her dream properly on that keyhole.
Oct 13, 2002 8:33 PM
0 0
Moreover, you could add a last shot, ctyankee, when Rita opens the blue box and again the key hole orientation is not correct. I believe there are too many changes in that keyhole to admit it is just a goof.
Oct 13, 2002 8:39 PM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gandalf36
Moreover, you could add a last shot, ctyankee, when Rita opens the blue box and again the key hole orientation is not correct. I believe there are too many changes in that keyhole to admit it is just a goof. [/QUOTE]

I did show that shot, it is the fourth (4th) shot. Perhaps you need to get some sleep ...

You didn't answer my question. What country do you live in?
Oct 13, 2002 8:51 PM
0 0
Ctyankee, you must admit that Betty's disappearance is magic, too. Diane is in a state of panic. She can't control anymore the coherence of her dream because of that blue box which is disturbing everything. The keyhole is a kind of black hole, it is able to destroy everything. The keyhole orientation changes are a warning.

Btw, NO, i'm not an emanation of Tristan's mind contradictions
Oct 13, 2002 9:01 PM
0 0
I already answered your question a few days ago but you were too tired to read it . I'm french and I'm living at Roubaix in the north of France, near Belgium frontier.

And you didn't shot Rita opening that blue box! There is a last change of orientation !!!
Oct 13, 2002 9:08 PM
0 0
Hi Ctyankee,

like in MD, many things are implicit in what I say...

Saying 'I'm french' is an implicite answer to the second part of your question, OTHERWISE I would have add in what country I was living. Moreover you asked again the first part and its useless!

And for me, opening the box means pulling the door of the blue box, not unlocking it, and you still didn't shot that picture.
That's the shot I was talking about. The keyhole orientation is again uncorrect when Rita is holding the door of the box in her hand.

Concerning that stupid (sorry ) numerology, I simply don't believe that Lynch is using it. First why do you use that orientation of the box and not another one to do your calculations? If you turn the box, it becomes wrong.

Second, as I said to Tristanlove, Lynch said to Geno Silva that he liked number seven to explain why he was insisting to draw number 16 on Adam's door. But Lynch wants to keep his secrets and he lied not to have to explain the real reason.

To me, the real reason he wanted number 16 was to put an analogy between Adam hiding himself in room 16 to avoid two guys looking for him, and in reality Diane hiding herself in apartment 16 (just near her apartment number 17) at Sierra Bonita complex to avoid the two detectives looking for her. Of course, I'm repating here something I already wrote in the thread "if you do bad etc...".
You probably know that if you read it closely!

Btw, nobody answered MY question about where is that big guy receiving the phone call of Mr Roque...
Oct 14, 2002 10:06 AM
0 0