I'm going to DEEP RIVER, Ont !

Original Poster
Sep 6, 2002 1:58 AM
0 0
Be on the lookout for a red haired lady named Ruth, too would ya!
Sep 6, 2002 3:46 AM
0 0
*smile*

and don't worry......

if I encounter any elderly folks with maniacal smiles, I won't accept any offers to ride in their limo
Sep 6, 2002 4:41 AM
0 0
Neely, that is great - you have definitely got to give us a full report. I was out in LA this past January and it really helped to be able to put MD in perspective having been out there, and on Mulholland Drive no less, seeing the view from the Getty, it looks just like in the film and the mood of the place WOW! Emmylou is wonderful, don't hear much of her these days, hope you enjoy the concert.
Sep 7, 2002 9:41 AM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zors
Neely, that is great - you have definitely got to give us a full report. I was out in LA this past January and it really helped to be able to put MD in perspective having been out there, and on Mulholland Drive no less, seeing the view from the Getty, it looks just like in the film and the mood of the place WOW! Emmylou is wonderful, don't hear much of her these days, hope you enjoy the concert. [/QUOTE]
I've been to California many times in the past (each time with different film or 'Hollywood Babylon'-esque tour sites as my quest but I haven't been there SINCE seeing MD. I can <i>definitely</i> understand your response, Zors Trust me, my next trip there will be planned <i>around</i> anything/everything MD related.........luckily, I have a couple of very patient and accommodating friends there (last time, one of them just came for the ride and kept asking 'uhm, why are we <i>here</i> again?' every time we stopped at a spot where a famous Hollywood homicide took place

If you're ever in San Francisco, I'd <i>highly</i> recommend hitting all the <B>Vertigo</B> sites.........including the hour or so drive to the Mission San Juan Bautista. Well worth it
Sep 7, 2002 11:00 AM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Neely O'Hara

I've been to California many times in the past (each time with different film or 'Hollywood Babylon'-esque tour sites as my quest but I haven't been there SINCE seeing MD. I can <i>definitely</i> understand your response, Zors Trust me, my next trip there will be planned <i>around</i> anything/everything MD related.........luckily, I have a couple of very patient and accommodating friends there (last time, one of them just came for the ride and kept asking 'uhm, why are we <i>here</i> again?' every time we stopped at a spot where a famous Hollywood homicide took place

If you're ever in San Francisco, I'd <i>highly</i> recommend hitting all the <B>Vertigo</B> sites.........including the hour or so drive to the Mission San Juan Bautista. Well worth it
[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention that - but even before I had seen Vertigo as an adult, I DID go to S/F and had been to all the places in the film, except for the mission. It was very weird and synchronistic and unintentional so that when I saw the film it really put me back there again and I actually felt I was really there while I was watching it. Strange how all these things tie together. Your friends sound like gems, too bad LA isn't a walking tour type city, in New York there are historical societies that lead walking tours for stuff like that and they are just fascinating. Speaking of Hollywood Babylon - either History Channel or Discovery, I can't remember which, had a show on the Black Dahlia, another fascinating unsolved murder mystery of Old Hollywood, I know it's mentioned in the Babylon book.
Sep 7, 2002 3:45 PM
0 0
Author Anne Rice and her tales of the Mayfair Witches and the Vampire Lestat, among others, inspired my trip to New Orleans. And it was every bit as fabulous as she describes.
Sep 7, 2002 4:05 PM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by StellaBlue
Author Anne Rice and her tales of the Mayfair Witches and the Vampire Lestat, among others, inspired my trip to New Orleans. And it was every bit as fabulous as she describes. [/QUOTE]

Stella - I spent a day in Old New Orleans, specifically the French Quarter, on the way back from a road trip to Birmingham AL to visit some old friends and wish I had more time to explore it. I did catch a whiff of what Anne Rice was talking about but next time I go there, I'm going to explore it more and stay longer. Very fascinating city.

Trips to places we read about or see in films really give you a different insight - when I was a kid I immersed myself in Dickens and 19th English literature and I finally went to England a couple years ago and felt like I had already been there and I just loved it. The Cotswolds in southern England are just gorgeous, London is old, crowded, dirty and very expensive, but in spite of that I still could just imagine the old London and English countryside of the stories and it's on my list of places to revisit.
Sep 7, 2002 4:16 PM
0 0
New Orleans is one of my favorite places. It too is old dirty and crowded in some parts, but the contrast of the neon lights,topless bars of Bourban Street, and the gorgeous Graden District is amazing.

I actually looked Anne Rice up in the phone book and sure as **** there she was in the white pages!

I think part of London's charm is the fact that it is old, dirty and crowded. (I agree, it is too expensive).

My most profound experience of visiting a place out of literature is when I went to the actual Anne frank house in Amsterdam. The feeling of walking up the narrow staircases and being in the exact place she wrote of is intensly emotional. Not a dry eye coming out of that place.
Sep 7, 2002 5:12 PM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Zors
Speaking of Hollywood Babylon - either History Channel or Discovery, I can't remember which, had a show on the Black Dahlia, another fascinating unsolved murder mystery of Old Hollywood, I know it's mentioned in the Babylon book. [/QUOTE]
First of all, you're right about L.A...........it's not my favourite city to go exploring in because it's not a 'walking' city. You really do <i>need</i> a car and I hate that.

About the Black Dahlia..........I've been to 39th and Norton where the body was found some 55 years ago. It is very odd to go there now........the vacant lot is no longer there and it is a residential neighbourhood......

Regarding the whole 'Hollywood Babylon' thing...........I have to say, I find the scandals and tragedies of 'old' Hollywood to be fascinating and haunting and moving somehow.......and I really think MD taps into that; there was a kind of innocence in that time, which makes the tragedies more tragic somehow.
Sep 8, 2002 10:00 AM
0 0
I will echo everyone else's comments about London.......it is <i>very</i> expensive. But it is a wonderful city for exploring on foot

I would recommend the <B>Jack the Ripper walking tour</B> to <i>everyone</i>. Depending on your tour guide, the East End of London in 1888 really comes alive and you feel like you're <i>right</i> there. Fascinating and still very frightening.
Sep 8, 2002 10:10 AM
0 0
Neely, that is so true about Hell A - I love the place in many ways but car culture drives me nuts. You do the same kind of stuff I do - the first time I went to Hell A as an adult (I lived there briefly in Redondo Beach as a kid) I just HAD to drive down Sunset Blvd and see if there really was the exact address like in the movie, can't remember that we ever found it but it was fun nonetheless. I also love doing the walking tours, I went on one in New York of haunted Greenwich village on Hallowe'en, it was just great, the London one sounds fascinating, and I will definitely look into it the next time I'm there.

Stella - Yes I agree that part of the charm of London is the dirt and grime, I was somewhat disappointed in it though because of how many historical sites were total tourist traps.
Sep 8, 2002 11:19 AM
0 0
ya, how 'bout that London Bridge! Fascinating. Its a bridge! woohoo.
Sep 8, 2002 3:01 PM
0 0
ya, how 'bout that London Bridge! Fascinating. Its a bridge! woohoo. [/QUOTE]
But London Bridge is no longer in England - it was moved to the U.S. hundreds of years ago. You may be thinking of Tower Bridge.
Sep 10, 2002 8:26 PM
0 0
ya but they still have a little bridge there called the London Bridge that everyone goes to take apicture of. which is why it is the ultimate tourist trap.
Sep 11, 2002 3:36 AM
0 0
ya but they still have a little bridge there called the London Bridge that everyone goes to take apicture of. which is why it is the ultimate tourist trap. [/QUOTE]
I'd argue that the <B>London Dungeon</B> is the 'ultimate tourist trap'......

man, that place is like walking into a 'haunted house' put on by high school students, and yet, the line-ups are usually long......and they have THE tackiest souvenir-type crap......

of course, I loved it.

Sep 11, 2002 4:02 AM
0 0
I?ve been to London on the last July, for the first time: since it?s only a two-hour flight from Rome I?ve always been thinking ?tomorrow I?ll go?, but I never went. In fact I?ve been there on July only by chance, just because I had a mission: looking after the 17 years old son of my boss. They own an apartment in London, and the boy usually goes there to improve his English, he?s great, whereas I?m one of the old generation, we didn?t use to learn seriously English at school; hence I tried to improve this damn English and I spent all my 12 days in London closed in a school, from 9 AM to 16 PM; in return me and the boy are great friends now. I only took a walk sometimes, I was too tired, I visited traditional places, and the Freud?s house, where he took shelter during the second world war and where he died. Yes, London is very expensive, almost shocking to me, exactly the double compared with Italy, I had to brought cigarettes with me from Rome because their price in London was absurd, and fortunately I was refund for the flight and the food. I?ve been to U.S. only to New York, three times, and London is definitely more expensive than New York. Damn, it?s raining, I?ve to catch my cats that are in the garden. Bye!
Sep 11, 2002 7:59 AM
0 0
London's crap! Manchester rules!!!
Sep 11, 2002 10:49 AM
0 0
Neely...I must admit, I loved it myself. But then again I went there on my first visit to London and I was only 16, so...

Papilu....I am sad to say I have yet to visit Italy, but it is my dream ...I will get there one of these days!
Sep 11, 2002 2:19 PM
0 0
"Papilu....I am sad to say I have yet to visit Italy, but it is my dream ...I will get there one of these days!"

You're welcome, StellaBlue! Call me if you need a guide in Rome
Sep 11, 2002 3:34 PM
0 0