The Blue Van

Original Poster
I was watching MD for the 5th time and i noticed that the same blue van appears 3 times in the first half in the movie.

1)When Rita is walking away from the crash site, a van shines its headlights on her, the van is blue

2)When Irene is driving away in her limo from the airport, there is a van ahead of them, and its blue

3)After the hitman asks the hooker if there are any new girls on the street, he helps the her into the blue van

Anyone have any idea about this?
Apr 21, 2002 7:08 PM
0 0
I noticed the blue van ahead of the limo and with the prostitute, but I never thought about the one in front of Rita. I only compared the two vans I noticed once, and from what I could tell, they were different vans, but I still think the blue van is significant. The only thing I can think of right now is that a blue van is the closest looking automobile that can be compared to a blue box.

Things to think about:

The old people follow the blue van in the limo, and are later found exiting the blue box as tiny people.

Camilla is scared stiff by the headlights of the blue van, and is later *apparently* sucked into the blue box.

The prostitute is lead into the blue van by the hitman and a pimp, but her contact with the blue box is unknown, unless she is a representation of Diane, which some believe (myself included... although not 100% convinced). In this case, Diane is the keeper of the blue box, as you can see in her drawer when she reaches for the gun.

What this all means: discussion, and lots of it.
Apr 21, 2002 7:29 PM
0 0
*BUMP*

This was discussed in the Tribute to Eel thread. Just thought I would bump it in case anyone had anything further to contribute. I would love it if we were able to take these findings a step further, because I know I'm stumped...
May 13, 2002 11:15 AM
0 0
I believe that the blue box resembles Diane's secrets. Even thought the old people climb out of the box, I am not a believer of the sexual abuse theory. I found it that she just wants to escape her past and create a future for herself. I believe that her grandparents were maybe mean to her and pushing her too hard:

1. Irene says "I'll look for you on the big screen" Betty says "Won't that be the day." It sound like a more civilized version of a fight. Diane may be trying to make her grandparents seem nicer than they were, make it seem like they really loved her. But in the end they laugh at her, like she thinks everyone else does. They follow the BLUE VAN because it also symbolizes the blue box. Her grandparents cruelty is a secret.

2. The prostitute who gets into the van may be a representation of Diane if she worked as a prostitute. I'm not a big fan of this theory however. I think it may just be that she knew the hitman from before and wants to keep that a secret.

And to tie this thread in with another thread:

Some people think that in reality Diane had her Aunt Ruth killed. I'm beginning to believe this too. She has obviously had interactions with the hitman before. He says "I'll leave this where I said before" or something like that. If Diane hired the hitman to kill her aunt Ruth, then that would explain why they seemed to have known each other before and why he'd leave the key where he said before.

~Katie~
May 13, 2002 2:23 PM
0 0
Hi
Good observation, I didn't notice that many blue vans...guess I get to watch the movie again! One thing I noticed one night when I had no life, I paused at the scene where Diane opens the drawer to reach for the gun, and when I when I went through that scene a frame at a time, I saw some blue stuff in the drawer. It was on the left side of the drawer, closest to the bed, and it appeared almost like a bunch of the 'modern' blue keys, or a handful of blue tampons (ladies help me out here - are there blue tampons???!)
Being that this was right next to the gun...anyone have ideas? Seeing that it's the same shade of blue as the box/key, it can't be totally insignificant, maybe just a little bit so....
May 13, 2002 4:55 PM
0 0
steelidan,

The blue thing you mentioned in the drawer is the blue box. Roger Ebert mentioned it in his article.
May 13, 2002 10:34 PM
0 0
Yes, that's what Ebert says, but I've looked at it quite closely as have others and though it's bright blue, it's not the blue box. Not sure what it is.....kind of rectangular and flat - definitely not a cube.
May 13, 2002 10:45 PM
0 0
Thing is, if it is blue and rectangular, and located near her bed, it could be morphed into the blue box in her dream, right? Whatever this item is, it could be the "inspiration" for the blue box in the dream, which makes its identity all the more intriguing. Unless its just another of Lynch's "red" (excuse the pun) herrings.
May 14, 2002 4:08 AM
0 0
I agree with you, Dan. It's significant but necessarily in a literal fashion.
May 14, 2002 8:10 AM
0 0