MD has nothing to do with dreams...

Original Poster
Saw an article recently that David Lynch stated that Mulholland Drive had absolutely nothing to with dreams whatsoever. He said it dealt with time, and how we interpret it. Which makes me think that maybe the sequences in MD is not in the "right" order of appearance.

Could it be that what looks like a dream might be a "altered universe" or something as in Twin Peaks?

Or maybe some afterlife experience?

I firmly believe that the opening sequence is Diane's death - and that she's not falling asleep and starts dreaming. And what we are seeing in the first 90 min or so is her experiences in afterlife or altered universe.

Just my opinion anyway.
Apr 10, 2002 3:10 AM
0 0
one more thing...

I also think it's way too easy to just say that it was a dream.

Lynch really hasn't dealt that much with dreams in his earlier movies. I think it's more of a spiritual/dual personality/altered universe kinda thing.
Apr 10, 2002 3:19 AM
0 0
Don't you guys think it's abit too easy to say it's just a dream?

Or is everyone conviced it's a dream?

My interpretation is that it's way too easy. That was my first thought that it had to be a dream. But when you think about it (and especially when Lynch says it's got nothing to do with dreams) I began thinking that it might be a different approach.

Also consider the twilight world of Twin Peaks - I think it's more of the same theme here. He plays with time as well.

I'm going with the altered universe/spiritual world / afterlife therory.

Comments wanted please!!!

This movie certainly gets the mind working - that's for sure
Apr 10, 2002 6:30 AM
0 0
fantomas -- hi and welcome!

For now:

1) The easiest explanation may very well be the best. In philosophy, as I recall, "Occam's Razor" says it most likely is.

2) Dreams are real. They come from the subconscious, which is real, which holds real experiences, desires, wishes, fantasies, etc. The afterlife is pure speculation.

3) I don't see anything in MD that implies an afterlife is anywhere in the offing.

So I appreciate your take, but in my opinion, you're on the wrong track.
Apr 10, 2002 6:46 AM
0 0
...it's just that after I read Lynch's comments that MD had absolutely nothing to do with dreams I began thinking more in the same way that Lost Highway developes.

Ever thought about that?
Apr 10, 2002 6:52 AM
0 0
Where did you see these comments of Lynch's? Can you post a link or cite the source?
Apr 10, 2002 7:13 AM
0 0
I saw the link on another board, I think it was at twinpeaksgazette.com
Apr 10, 2002 8:25 AM
0 0
Lynch has also said that there is nothing supernatural in MD. I don't think Lynch's comments are a good place to look for answers as I feel he is playing a game with us.
Apr 10, 2002 8:30 AM
0 0
that's why I thought it might have more in common with Lost Highway,
or maybe some split-personality thing.

Anyway, I think this is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen.
Apr 10, 2002 8:33 AM
0 0
fantomas and rich, my understanding of Lynch is that he would NEVER make comments like those about his films.

Do you have any evidence that he actually said these things? With all due respect, to y'all, they seem more like unsubstantiated rumors.
Apr 10, 2002 8:44 AM
0 0
you maybe right - I just read it in an article (following a link from twinpeaksgazette.com)where he apparently was answering about MD where this came up. He also said that "all the clues are there"...

Like I said earlier, after watching it again, I get more and more the same feeling towards how Lost Highway developes...

but, who knows...
Apr 10, 2002 8:52 AM
0 0
Dave,

You could be right. I read this in an article way back in Sept or Oct. no way I could find it now. His ten clues included with the DVD seem to contradict your point somewhat though.

Obviously it has to be one way or the other, either dream/fantasy or supernatural as people really do not appear minitureized/disappear etc.
Apr 10, 2002 9:18 AM
0 0
Rich, yes -- good point about the 10 clues, which I agree Lynch gave out. I was referring, though, to really major themes, which, as reticent as I understand Lynch to be, he would never get into.

Actually, I think at least some of those clues are very vague and possibly even include misdirection -- e.g., "Where is Aunt Ruth" -- I mean, say what??

To address your last point, in the film we have possibly or probably many different forms of unreality (e.g., dreams, fantasies, depictions of Diane's subconscious, delusions, embellishments, etc.) -- it depends on which scene you're referring to.
Apr 10, 2002 9:58 AM
0 0
Lynch is pullling y'all's legs: He, as well as the marketing dept, refer to the film as a Love Story in the City of Dreams, fer Crying (pun intended) out loud.
Apr 10, 2002 10:04 AM
0 0
Yes, it's about dreams, and no, Lynch never said that. He doesn't, and won't, discuss this kind of thing.
Apr 10, 2002 10:17 AM
0 0
something I discovered is that the guy who introduced Rebekah Del Rio (grey haired guy with red suit) is the same guy that Adam talks to in the Hotel?

He's saying somthing about Adam being broke.....remember???

anyone...?
Apr 10, 2002 10:19 AM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fantomas
something I discovered is that the guy who introduced Rebekah Del Rio (grey haired guy with red suit) is the same guy that Adam talks to in the Hotel?

He's saying somthing about Adam being broke.....remember???

anyone...?
[/QUOTE]

fantomas,

Yep, good catch.

Cookie, the manager at the hotel, and the emcee at Silencio are the same guy.

There hasn't been a conclusion about what he "represents." Any ideas?
Apr 10, 2002 10:43 AM
0 0
I think that in her "dream" Diane is controlling everything - she gets everything her way.

I have the feeling that Silencio could be like the red room in Twin Peaks - sort of a sub-consciouss/altered reality gathering place or whatever.

I have no clues on this Cookie guy...
Apr 10, 2002 10:50 AM
0 0
"Curtains are both hiding and revealing. Sometimes it's so beautiful that they're hiding, it gets your imagination going. But in the theatre, when the curtains open, you have this fantastic euphoria, that you're going to see something new, something will be revealed."

-- David Lynch
Apr 10, 2002 11:06 AM
0 0
And what is revealed there is that Diane realizes that this is not her real life.

She starts trembeling and comes back to herself.

But:

Any theories on WHY Rita "needed" that blonde wig?
Betty says that "I know what you have to do"..........
After they've discovered Diane's corpse...?
Apr 10, 2002 11:21 AM
0 0