David Lynch are giving clues ! in todays Guardian

Original Poster
Jan 20, 2002 11:40 AM
0 0
Here are Lynch's clues... I have written some notes under each one. I think this should generate some interesting ideas.

David Lynch's clues:

1) Pay particular attention to the beginning of the film: at least two clues are revealed before the credits.

We have the jitterbug contest, Betty winning it, and the two old people gleefully with her

2) Notice appearances of the red lampshade.

When the phone rings in the "girl is still missing" sequence, when Diane answers the phone before the dinner party (maybe more but this is what I can think of).

3) Can you hear the title of the film that Adam Kesher is auditioning actresses for? Is it mentioned again?

The Silvia North Story, and its mentioned again when Diane says that she met Camilla on the set of the Sylvia North Story (I think).

4) An accident is a terrible event... Notice the location of the accident.

Below Adam Kesher's house.

5) Who gives a key, and why?

The hitman gives the key, to signify that Camilla has been executed.

6) Notice the robe, the ashtray, the coffee cup.

Camilla wears the robe in Diane's hallucination, and when she is kicked out of the apartment. Ashtray: plain-looking neighbor takes it back, and its there in the second love-sequence. Not sure about the coffee cup.

7) What is felt, realised and gathered at the club Silencio?

Felt: lots of emotion? Realized-- that there is something amiss that is not what it appears. Blue box is gathered.

8) Did talent alone help Camilla?

Nope, she was screwin' the director.

9) Note the occurrences surrounding the man behind 'Winkies'

Eyebrow guy faces the source of his fear, the hitman is hired, and Diane kills herself.

10) Where is Aunt Ruth?

I believe she is in Canada, shooting a movie (of course, this is where Betty is from... but what's the connection?).

Anyhow, those are some thoughts! Let's discuss, as this certainly may elicit some fresh ideas on the movie :-).

-RS
Jan 22, 2002 12:49 PM
0 0
Excellent notes, CNM!

Just a few quick thoughts that popped into my head as I was reading:

1. Before the credits, we also get a view of the disheveled bed and the sound of someone breathing hard (or snoring?).

6. The robe is used as a kind of "curtain" that transports the viewer from Diane's reality, as she moves from the kitchen to the living room with the coffee cup. As she bends down to put the cup on the table, our view of the robe falls away, the coffee cup becomes a drinking glass, and a topless Diane vaults onto the couch where the reclining Camilla awaits.

Sitting on the coffee table in that scene, we see the drinking glass and ashtray but no blue key.

(Does anyone remember if the ashtray was free of butts in that scene?)

8. Talent alone wasn't enough to help either the "real" or the alternate Camilla.

As you point out, CNM, real C and Adam were having an affair. Alternate C was dependent on the Castigliani brothers' strong-arm tactics in order to be cast in TSNS that Adam was directing.

10. In the fantasy, Aunt Ruth was in Canada. At the end of the movie, after Rita dropped the blue box onto the rug, it appeared that Aunt Ruth had never left the apartment.
Jan 22, 2002 2:08 PM
0 0
I do believe at the dinner party Diane saying that her Aunt died and left her some money, i.e. the 50 grand. I think she alluded to the fact that Aunt Ruth did work in Hollywood. The significane of the lady with the red hair that is suppose to be Aunt Ruth reinforces that Rita, and Betty did not exists. The other giveaway is when Rita Runs into into the courtyard, but the older lady with the red hair doesn't see anything.

end
kdc
Jan 22, 2002 2:29 PM
0 0
Ok, I'm a newbie, go easy.

Aunt Ruth has bothered me for a while. The first time I saw MD I wondered why AR didn't notice Rita slipping into the apartment. It seemed obvious that she looked right at her.

After seeing it a second and third time I believe that while she looks toward the apartment AR does not see Rita. At least that makes the most sense to me considering Dream Logic.

But that's not terribly important (as if any of this is!). What bothers me is the second appearance of Aunt Ruth, when she checks the bedroom after Rita drops the blue box.

I've read much analysis - and I tend to agree - that this scene is the first glimpse of reality we get outside of Diane's dream (even though she's not awake yet, and not counting the jitterbug montage and the POV descent into the pillow in the beginning).

I think the scene is there to show us that the box and Rita and all the rest wasn't really there, so I don't think there is any further symbolism to her appearance. In other words, I think she is alive.

But later in the flashback to Adam and Camilla's party Diane does say that her Aunt died and left her some money.

Ok, so maybe Aunt Ruth dies after the blue box scene and before the party, but if she did die and leave Diane at least 50k why wouldn't Diane move into her Aunt's "way cool" apartment she clearly coveted?

A quibble, perhaps, but why does Lynch ask "Where is Aunt Ruth?"

Anyway, what a great movie. A Classic.
Jan 22, 2002 9:52 PM
0 0
you do realize the parts with aunt ruth were in the dream right? And when you see her after Rita goes into the blue box the only reason they show her is to show the fact that there is no blue box on the floor.
Jan 22, 2002 10:00 PM
0 0
Two things that bother me about Lynch's clues.

First, Aunt Ruth is in Canada shooting a film. This is most likely connected to Betty's home province, Ontario. This seems to be more of a connection than just saying that Betty and Rita do not exist. What more could there be to the story of Aunt Ruth?

Also, Rita's car crash occurs on Mulholland Drive, below Adam Kesher's house. What is the connection here? Is there a significance to this location? Rita goes downhill, away from Kesher's in the 'dream' sequence, if you subscribe to that theory. In the 'reality' sequence, Diane is led uphill to Adam's. What is the connection here? Is it just symbolic?

I don't know, after looking through Lynch's clues, it seems to me that there is a heck of a lot more going on than just the 'dream theory'. It seems like there might even be an entire 'alternate reality' or 'reverse personality' ala Lost Highway dynamic going on here. Just some food for thought.

RS
Jan 23, 2002 10:39 AM
0 0
Fourstars: My take on Aunt Ruth entering the bedroom after the blue box is opened is that it is Diane trying to restart the dream again at the beginning when aunt Ruth left. Note that she is wearing the same clothes and scarf that she was wearing when she left. She walks into the bedroom to check it, then leaves. Then the hallway morphs to Dianes dark hallway then back to Aunt Ruths hallway finally morphing to Dianes hallway/room permanantly. I think the dream had ended with Rita being drawn into the blue box (killed) and Diane wanted to go through the dream again but couldn't. Then she dreamed of the cowboy before finally being awakened by the knocking at the door.
Jan 23, 2002 3:16 PM
0 0
Yes, Richdubbya, YOU are paying attention. As far as I'm concerned there's no question about the first half being Dian'es dream, the second being her waking life, and the whole movie is how the two are connected, disconnected, etc. I've gotten SO frustrated by some people posting here who come up with completely extraneuous stuff to explain what's happening in the film instead of extrapolating from WHAT IS THERE.

Again, good job.
Jan 23, 2002 3:52 PM
0 0
Oh, and as a P.S. to the guy who's unsure about the accident clues, here it is. Lynch says: "An accident is a terrible event."

Now think about it. Diane is driven to the party, where she is completely humiliated by the sadistic Camilla. This final and devastating rejection by Camilla and Hollywood (So close, yet so far from her right there at the party) sends her all the way over the edge, and she hires the hitman.
Jan 23, 2002 3:55 PM
0 0
This then becomes the first scene in the movie and in her dream. Camilla humiliated and emotionally destroyed Diane, so Diane's going to do the same to Camilla, only literally. But Diane is conflicted, and so, in her dream, the hit is absurdly interrupted and Camilla's memory and identity wiped clean.
Jan 23, 2002 4:03 PM
0 0
[QUOTE]Fourstars: My take on Aunt Ruth entering the bedroom after the blue box is opened is that it is Diane trying to restart the dream again at the beginning when aunt Ruth left.[/QUOTE]

richdubbya: I like your interpretation. That works for me.

Clearly it may not bother anyone else, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm just curious as to why Diane wouldn't want to live in Aunt Ruth's apartment if she (Ruth) is indeed dead. I'm assuming that Diane is telling the truth about Ruth (sorry), otherwise we head off into completely uncharted territory.

I realize there are many possible explanations for why she doesn't, but she obviously loves the apartment and can afford to live there considering she has at least 50k on hand to pay a hitman.

My thought is this: Diane idealized quite a bit in her dream - maybe the apartment we see is not Aunt Ruth's after all, but rather her vision of the "perfect" Hollywood apartment, or who knows, maybe it's even Camilla's.

Whatever. To answer the question, Aunt Ruth is dead, right?
Jan 23, 2002 4:46 PM
0 0
Diane's Aunt that "worked in the movies" is dead, I'm assuming her name was Aunt Ruth. That apartment does not exist in real life only in Dianes dream. I think you nailed it with "her vision of the perfect Hollywood apartment".
Jan 23, 2002 10:09 PM
0 0
Hey, can anyone tell me more about the robe? WHen it appears and who is wearing it in the last third? Some of you have seen MD six times, so I'm sure you can probably tell me. (It's not important or anything, just a detail that's bugging me.)
Thanks!
Jan 25, 2002 7:36 AM
0 0
The tacky, dirty terrycloth robe appears when Diane awakens from her dreams. She is wearing it through the rest of the film in all the scenes that are in real time (not flashbacks) with the possible exception of the masturbation scene which I'm not sure if it is a flashback or real time.
Jan 25, 2002 9:37 AM
0 0
Thank you very much, Richdubya. Someone said something about Camilla wearing the robe when Diane throws her out. I don't remember it this way. Could you possibly verify, negate this claim?

I'm obsessed with this movie, and every time someone brings up a small detail like this I want to chack it out, but MD is not even playing in the state where I live, as far as I know.

Very frustrating.
Jan 25, 2002 10:22 AM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 22cute
The robe is used as a kind of "curtain" that transports the viewer from Diane's reality, as she moves from the kitchen to the living room with the coffee cup. As she bends down to put the cup on the table, our view of the robe falls away, the coffee cup becomes a drinking glass, and a topless Diane vaults onto the couch where the reclining Camilla awaits.

Sitting on the coffee table in that scene, we see the drinking glass and ashtray but no blue key.
[/QUOTE]

Above is something I posted about the robe. I think it's pretty accurate.

No, I don't think Diane was wearing the robe when she pushed Camilla out the door. As I recall, she was wearing the same top she had on when she was masturbating, which lead me to conclude the masturbation scene was from that same day.
Jan 25, 2002 11:07 AM
0 0
There is another robe (Aunt Ruths) that had the note on it for Betty. Rita is wearing this robe when they go over the audition script during which Betty says "Get out! No one wants you here". maybe this is what they were refering to. Cute is right, there is no robe when Diane and Camilla are at the apartment door "it's not easy for me". Check out Yahoo Movies (movies.yahoo.com) go to Mulholland Dr. and you can see if it's playing anywhere near (I drive an hour and a half now).
Jan 25, 2002 3:19 PM
0 0
Oh, Richard, you've just jogged a small memory that's starting to snowball, even as I write.

...Now it seems there are at least THREE robes. In the scene in Aunt Ruth's kitchen, when the girls are practicing the audition scene, Betty is also wearing a robe, a pink chenille (or terrycloth) one.

I remember thinking, probably around the third time I saw the movie, that that robe was an exact duplicate in style to Diane's ratty robe--sort of a spruced up, fantasized version of the "real deal."

This led me to recall our discussion about the couch in Aunt Ruth's apartment, when Betty was lying back and running her hand over the leather while talking on the phone with Aunt Ruth. I remember suggesting that that was the scene Diane was fantasizing when she was lying back masturbating on her own ratty couch--again, a spruced up version of reality.

I'm not sure if this has ever come up in our discussions (I've kept meaning to mention it but have forgotten to), I also remember clearly seeing the entry to Aunt Ruth's apartment as a "spruced up, fantasized version" of the entries to #12 and #17 at Sierra Bonita. I've thought this since the second viewing, and in six viewings, that perception has never gone away.

Now, as I said, this is just sort of stream-of-consciousness thinking I'm having based on your comments about the second robe. I'm not sure it will lead to any new insights or conclusions that we haven't already drawn, but I think it does demonstrate an interesting pattern about the parallels between Diane's reality and her dreams/fantasies.

Whaddya think?
Jan 25, 2002 11:58 PM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 22cute

I'm not sure if this has ever come up in our discussions (I've kept meaning to mention it but have forgotten to), I also remember clearly seeing the entry to Aunt Ruth's apartment as a "spruced up, fantasized version" of the entries to #12 and #17 at Sierra Bonita. I've thought this since the second viewing, and in six viewings, that perception has never gone away.
[/QUOTE]

This is what I was trying to get at with my earlier posts, now this discussion of the robe brings it home for me. I can't tell from your post if you will agree, but I like to believe that the apartment is a fantasy - in other words, not the real Aunt Ruth's apartment - and that it could actually be Camilla's.

When Betty first gets to the apartment Camilla is already there, naked in the shower. Considering their relationship it's not unlikely that this happened many times in "real life".

Camilla is the successful actress, she could afford a such an apartment, it fits with Diane's desire to be like Camilla, and Diane associates Coco, Camilla's future mother-in-law, with the apartment as landlady.

This leads me to Adam. Notice where Diane dreams he would go after the incident with Billy Ray. Doesn't that hotel room look like the kind of place Diane would ply her trade if she was an "associate" of the hit man (like the hooker outside Winkies)? And the landlord is Cookie who reappears later in Club Silencio.

Back to the robe. Lynch specifically shows us the note on the Robe to Betty from Ruth, I forget what it says exactly, but it's something like "I hope you enjoy this". But the only person who wears the robe in the dream sequence is Rita, in the apartment.

I don't know if Lynch intended any of this, but it certainly makes the film even more fun for me.
Jan 26, 2002 8:22 AM
0 0