Laura Palmer in Club Silencio? And Maddy too?

Original Poster
First post here, but I've been reading for nearly two years on this forum. I wanted to first of all thank you all for providing very thought provoking analyses and theories on a film that has haunted me since I first viewed it back in 2001.

Anyway, on with the show....

TWIN PEAKS SPOILERS BELOW

While I was "lecturing" someone on a shot I love that David Lynch utilizes that is referred to as the "vertigo shot", which takes place outside Club Silencio as we make our way towards the entrance, I did not press pause fast enough to escape the entrance to Silencio. However when I did hit pause, it was frozen on the shot of the audience members attending Club Silencio. I then noticed something that almost caused me to have a heartattack. Now don't berate me if this has been beat to death with a stick, but in the right hand side of the screen, does it not look like actress Sheryl Lee who portrayed Laura Palmer in Twin Peaks? Another thing that startled me was how closely the blond woman whom I suspect to be Laura Palmer resembled the woman next to her who had darker hair. Perhaps they are both Sheryl Lee and the darker haired woman is supposed to be Maddy, the look alike cousin of Laura's who also falls to the same tragic death.

This would absolutely make sense if it IS in fact Laura Palmer and Maddy. Because they are both killed by a man possessed by the demon Bob, they both could be living eternally in what some of you refer to as "purgatory", or, Club Silencio. As shown in Fire Walk With Me, the Red Room eerily reminds me Club Silencio, and could in fact be a "waiting room" to get into Club Silencio.

This all stems into a whole different theory of whether Mr. Roque could possibly be the Man From Another Place reincarnate?

But, that's for another time.

I may not post again, but your responses would be greatly appreciated. I know that this shocking discovery to myself was enough for me to register and post.

Les
Dec 5, 2003 8:20 PM
0 0
Thanks for giving me another reason to watch that scene.
Dec 7, 2003 4:58 PM
0 0

Found this still on dugpa.com. You gotta admit it looks like her...I mean, come on.
Dec 7, 2003 7:24 PM
0 0
Good to mention this. If it has been discussed here, it was a while ago.

I heard about this first at alt.movies.david-lynch.

Welcome to both you new posters!

Tertxcard,

Why do you consider the shot leading to Club Silencio's door a Vertigo shot?
Dec 7, 2003 7:53 PM
0 0
ctyankeeWelcome to both you new posters!
Thanks, but I have been on the Mulholland Drive board for a while. I just don't post on this board too often.

I do admit that the woman looks like Sheryl Lee.
Dec 7, 2003 8:42 PM
0 0
Well, I was reading a fantastic biography about David Lynch and his films written by Michael Chion. Although the book was published even before Lost Highway, the "vertigo" technique has been used in most of his other films. It's not a reference to the Hitchcock film, but it's used as a term that describes the camera movement making the audience feel drunk or hazy. It's that wobbliness, the sense of imbalance that is used in many David Lynch shots, but it is especially prevalent in the alley leading into Club Silencio. This camera technique is used throughout the whole movie (the two of them getting into the taxi on the way to Silencio, in the diner with Dan and Herb, etc.).
Dec 8, 2003 4:38 AM
0 0
There is another thread around here somewhere that picked this up. But like ct says, it was a long time ago.

I have a feeling that someone asked Lynch about this, and whether it was Sheryl Lee, in a live webchat. Lynch denied it.

But of course he would. ;)
Dec 8, 2003 5:19 AM
0 0
tertxcardWell, I was reading a fantastic biography about David Lynch and his films written by Michael Chion. Although the book was published even before Lost Highway, the "vertigo" technique has been used in most of his other films. It's not a reference to the Hitchcock film, but it's used as a term that describes the camera movement making the audience feel drunk or hazy. It's that wobbliness, the sense of imbalance that is used in many David Lynch shots, but it is especially prevalent in the alley leading into Club Silencio. This camera technique is used throughout the whole movie (the two of them getting into the taxi on the way to Silencio, in the diner with Dan and Herb, etc.).

Yes and I find the diner camera work particularly interesting.

Btw, I read in a book titled Moviemaker's Master Class by Laurnet Tirard the section about David Lynch - which is a series of interviews with different directors. The Lynch section is unfortunately pretty short. In it Lynch says:

"Every director has a few particular technical tricks. For instance, I like too play with contrasts; I like using lenses that give a greater depth of field; and I like extreme close-ups, like the famous match shot in Wild at Heart. But none of this is systematic. However, I have a very particular way of getting the dolly to move. It is something I experimented with on Eraserhead and that I have always used since. The way it works it that you load the dolly with sandbags until it's so heavy that it feels like it's never going to move. It takes several men to push the dolly, and once it starts moving, it's very slow, like an old train engine. After a while, though, it gains so much momentum that the men who were pushing have to start pulling, to hold it back. They have to pull with all their might. It's exhausting, but the result on film is incredibly fluid and graceful." p. 130,131.

Perhaps it is not Ms. Lee but just someone that looks a lot like her. Coincidence? Not on your life, but perhaps Lynch (in his travels) came across someone that just looks a lot like Sheryl Lee. Sort of like her twin if you will.

It could be Ms. Lee, but I hate to think that she let herself go so much, her face is a bit bloated.
Dec 8, 2003 8:15 AM
0 0
Well if the way she looks in the Twin Peaks special features is any indication to what she looked like during the filming of that scene, then I don't think that its too far fetched of an idea.
Dec 8, 2003 12:17 PM
0 0
That is definitely Laura Palmer and Ronette Polowski (not Maddy) in the club silencio, and their presence certainly strengthens the "in limbo" aspect of the club.

and yet, we hear a band..
Sep 13, 2005 3:47 PM
0 0
Ronette. That's the name. Thanks!

I'm always haunted by those two in the club.
Sep 30, 2005 7:42 PM
0 0
For reference, her name is Ronette Pulaski.
Oct 1, 2005 3:42 AM
0 0