The car accident

Original Poster
Id-ea and Blu-riven proposes that Diane may have had a car accident in her infancy and brain damages by tansposition with Rita's accident. This is a very good idea and it explains a few things.

First, Diane's parents do never appear in her dream as if she has completely forgotten them. Irene and her companion are probably too old to be her real parents.

I guess that Diane's real parents died in a car accident, Diane was with them, and she survived but became amnesiac after it. That is, she forgot everything about her parents.

There is something which was believed to be a 'goof' in the movie. It has been noticed with a screenshot that just at the instant of the impact between the two cars, one sees nobody at the front places of one the cars. But it fits well with Diane's amnesia: in her dream, by transpostion, her parents should be in that car, but since she doesn't remember them, the places where her parents were supposed to be are kept empty.

Then, concerning Ed, one can see that he is one of the guys who were doing the race on Mulholland Drive. He was in the second car. He is responsible of Rita's accident, and talks about it as a funny story.

By transposition, Ed represents the stupid guys who were responsible of Diane's parents accident. This is a vengeance for what he has done to her: he has broken her life and killed her parents. Then Diane is dreaming that Ed is shot in the head by Joe.

There is a strange horizontal line of hairs on Ed's head and someone on that forum has made the discovery that it shows that Ed's bloody brain has been projected and smashed on a picture which is an advertizement for Italy. I guess this is where Diane's accident happened long time ago. Diane is simply leaving a message which indicates the reason of that murder.

Now if you consider Lynch's clue N 4: "An accident is a terrible thing. Look closely where the accident happened" you see that Lynch is probably talking about Diane's accident, not Rita's, and that there may be something else to be found in the accident scene. I didn't check yet what it could be.

To complete, I remind that the pearl earring lost by Rita has probably to be considered as a symbol of her loss of memory.
Sep 21, 2003 4:58 PM
0 0
I confirm. Diane's parents died in a car accident.
Then she has been adopted by Irene and her companion.

At the end of MD, you see what happened the first time she met her new adoptive parents while she was probably still traumatized by her accident: they tried to catch her while they were behaving as if they were playing. Of course she was terrified.

In reality, the two detectives have entered into Diane's home and are trying to negociate with her as nice people to convince her to surrender, something like that. But of course their only goal is to arrest her. In her mind, Diane is transposing the situation.

At the airport, Diane talks to Irene and her companion as strangers. They have made "a journey" together. Diane thanks them for what they have done. They wish her to to become a great actress and then they leave in a big black limo.

Inside you see that they smile: they congratulate each other and they are happy of what they have done for Diane: to care about her until she becomes an adult. They keep their mouths opened and they smile in a strange way, like skulls. The limo is a symbol for a hearse, for in fact they are now dead and Diane is alone.

And Irene is the name of an adoption center:

http://members.fortunecity.es/miriamruz/adoptionsite/main.html

All of that is not substantiated ... of course
Oct 7, 2003 5:38 AM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gandalf36
IAll of that is not substantiated ... of course [/QUOTE]

Of course .... :-)

The elderly couple are just happy careful people, who uses the safety belt taking the Mulholland Drive.
Oct 7, 2003 8:57 AM
0 0
Id-ea and Blu-riven proposes that Diane may have had a car accident in her infancy and brain damages by tansposition with Rita's accident. This is a very good idea and it explains a few things.[/QUOTE]Did I...? I don't remember.

There is a strange horizontal line of hairs on Ed's head and someone on that forum has made the discovery that it shows that Ed's bloody brain has been projected and smashed on a picture which is an advertizement for Italy. I guess this is where Diane's accident happened long time ago. Diane is simply leaving a message which indicates the reason of that murder.[/QUOTE]The hair is indeed an arrow, pointing us to look at the Italy poster. But I think it's more likely that Lynch is pointing us, literally, toward a connection between Ed and the Castiglianes. And that would lead us to Blonde Camilla, and Ed's Black Book. And the question of whether the book is connected to the Castiglianes.

This takes us to whether Joe, who is looking for Rita, is somehow in opposition to Ed and the Castigli bros, and whether he would help her, or otherwise...

And where exactly does Mr. Roque fit in?? Which side is he on? He clearly wants to keep the director, whereas the Castiglis are ready to dump him.

Questions, questions, questions...
Oct 23, 2003 3:34 AM
0 0
From inside the dream I don't know exactly what role Mr Roque is playing, but from Diane's point of view I repeat what I have already said in a former post:

Mr Roque represents to me the atrophied center of decision of Diane's brain. He has a small head mounted on a normal but paralyzed body and he is unclosed in some dark mysterious room which is supposed to represent its location: the heart (if I can say that!) of Diane's brain.

He is supposed to take the decisions and to pull the strings but he doesn't answer by himself (Tristanlove has met Michael Anderson and he has told her mysteriously that 'he' was THE ONE who 'says' that everything must be shut down).

In one word, 'Roque' means that he is a kind of 'control tower'.

But in the state of dream, I guess that he is more or less loosing the control of Diane's mind.
Oct 23, 2003 8:25 PM
0 0
I'm not really after the 'metaphorical' Mr. Roque. More his literal standing within the first part of the film. Initially I thought he was a Mob 'king-pin', but after reading the pilot script it seemed more likely he was the studio head.

The conversation between Ray and Mr. Roque goes like this...

RAY
Good afternoon Mr. Roque.

Mr. Roque stares at Ray silently.

RAY (cont'd)
Do you want him replaced?

Mr. Roque continues to stare.

RAY
I know they said...

MR. ROQUE
Then?

RAY
Then... I guess it's so .... alright, but
that means we should ...

MR. ROQUE
Yes?

RAY
Shut everything down ... Is that something
that...do you want us to shut everything
down?

Silence. Ray doesn't know what to do. He struggles to
interpret Mr. Roque's silence. He waits. Mr. Roque does
nothing but stare.

So, it looks like someone has said that Kesher is essential to the film. And Roque believes that it's better the film is shut down, rather than continue with a different director. Can't be the Castiglianes, because they are happy to kick him off it.

Or is Mr. Roque being cute, and knows that by shutting down the film, Adam will come to his senses and accept Blonde Camilla as The Girl.

And then so is The Cowboy an employee of Mr. Roque, or the Castiglianes? Or can we work the jigsaw together so that all parties are in the same bed, so to speak?

I'm not really looking at this in the 'dream context' I know, but its another mystery-within-the-mystery that I haven't quite figured yet. I mean, you can look at it any way you like. Maybe that's the intention - ambiguity. As I was discussing with ID-ea on another thread not long ago, that's the beauty, and maybe the point of this work.

If two people watch the same car-crash, they'll both see different things. What's before them is the same, but they see it differently. Life is full of ambiguities, strangeness, and Lynch's favourite word, abstractions. We all see them differently to each other, and so it is with MD. MD is organic, it grows and changes with each viewing, what you see one day, you won't the next. MD is like watching the same car-crash from a different angle each time. Sometimes you get to choose what angle you watch from, sometimes you don't, and are surprised by what you see.

And so we're back to Jung, how we create our own realities, how we project onto the cinema screen from our own retinas, and how utterly pointless a task we are trying to perform on this board it seems sometimes - trying to pin down a moving target.
Oct 24, 2003 1:28 AM
0 0
One remark: even when Adam learns that Ray is shutting everything down, Adam insists to go home. That is the only guy who manages to convince Adam to accept the new actress is the Cowboy, that's all.

I believe that the Cowboy has only a metaphorical meaning in Diane's dream: we don't know who he is and why he is doing what he does within Diane's dream. I guess that it is the same for Mr Roque.

The trick is that after all the whole story within Diane's dream is not really important: it is not necessarely coherent. The meaning is at a completely different level when Diane wakes up. The story as a whole has an explaination but not where we are expecting.

Now the way MD is affecting our mind and our imagination is extraordinary. Lynch has found the magic formula.
Oct 24, 2003 4:42 AM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blu-riven

So, it looks like someone has said that Kesher is essential to the film. And Roque believes that it's better the film is shut down, rather than continue with a different director. Can't be the Castiglianes, because they are happy to kick him off it.

Or is Mr. Roque being cute, and knows that by shutting down the film, Adam will come to his senses and accept Blonde Camilla as The Girl.

[/QUOTE]

Or Mr. Roque is just protecting the financial interests of the movie project, since they have to find a new director which is not just done like that.
Oct 27, 2003 10:20 AM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ID-ea
Or Mr. Roque is just protecting the financial interests of the movie project, since they have to find a new director which is not just done like that. [/QUOTE]So would you say that Roque is with/against/indifferent/oblivious to the Castgliane bros?

And is it not being suggested that the Castiglianes are involved in the financing of the film?
Oct 28, 2003 12:55 AM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by blu-riven
So would you say that Roque is with/against/indifferent/oblivious to the Castgliane bros?

And is it not being suggested that the Castiglianes are involved in the financing of the film?
[/QUOTE]

There is nothing Mr Roque can do about the bros' decision to remove Adam. That may be contractually or politically conditioned on Mr Roque's part.

Mr Roque then has to shut everything down to limit the economic loss, so they will not have to pay waiting money to actors, crew, equipment etc.
Oct 28, 2003 4:56 AM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ID-ea
There is nothing Mr Roque can do about the bros' decision to remove Adam. That may be contractually or politically conditioned on Mr Roque's part.

Mr Roque then has to shut everything down to limit the economic loss, so they will not have to pay waiting money to actors, crew, equipment etc.
[/QUOTE]I just felt more weight and significance in the decision to SHUT DOWN. Ray seems quite taken aback.

The terms...

"They said..."

and

"We should..."

...indicates two opposing views.

I'm just wondering who 'they' are.
Oct 28, 2003 6:19 AM
0 0
You may be right that Mr Roque prefers a shutdown to a replacement of Adam.

"They" will have to be the bros.

The funny thing about this scene is that the answers given by Mr Roque are given in forms of questions.
Oct 28, 2003 6:56 AM
0 0
The more I think about this scene, the more it makes sense the way that Little Mike explained it to TristanLove. That Roque is Ray, and that the rhetorical conversation Ray is having with himself.

If I remember correctly, in the pilot, Ray has to go deeper and deeper into a building, down corridors, through doors - metaphorically deeper into his own subconcious to find a justification for what he has to do. (ie.*shut down*).

Remember the loudspeaker - relaying the conversation at the table to Roque - well there is no literal loudspeaker, Roque hears the conversation because he is Ray. Just as Little Mike said.
Oct 29, 2003 1:27 AM
0 0