Map of 6980 Mulholland Dr.

Original Poster
Jan 14, 2003 2:46 PM
0 0
I heard that the address 6980 was fictional. Any locals to enlighten ?

Look at this link. Any State folks know what it means ?

http://www.ci.la.ca.us/PLN/za/agendas/07032001-Fig.pdf
Jan 15, 2003 4:19 AM
0 0
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ID-ea
I heard that the address 6980 was fictional. ...
[/QUOTE]
I assume the address is fictional. However, the implied location may well have been intentionally chosen.
Jan 15, 2003 2:18 PM
0 0
There was a post a while back showing that 6980 Mulholland Drive not only exists, but is actually owned by David Lynch. Somebody posted a link to the tax assessors office or something like that showing the address. 1612 Havenhurst is real also.
Jan 19, 2003 6:33 PM
0 0
[center]Adam?s house and shortcut. [/center]

Since some of you have apparently visited MD locations, I don?t understand how there can still be uncertainty about whether the path to Adam?s house is actually a shortcut. I have determined this much just from maps and aerial photos: MAP1, Topo, Aerial,

(1) 6980 Mulholland is the street address of the Hollywood Sign, which is just below the road. Coincidentally, that is exactly where the accident occurred; note the streetlight directly in front thru the windshield when the limo stops; note also the view down Mulholland to the northwest when Rita crosses the road. This location is just beyond the 180 bend on Mulholland?coming up the hill from the north in the limo.

There are no houses on that section of Mulholland. The true street address of Adam?s house is, in fact, 6980 Macapa Dr.; it is the last house at the southeastern end of Macapa, directly above the 180 bend on Mulholland. All the other houses on Macapa have roughly 160 clear vistas either to the northeast or southwest; Adam?s house has roughly 340 of clear vista, from the west-northwest clear around to the north-northeast. Due to the low placement of the camera, you see only sky and distant hills as Adam pulls into the driveway to surprise his wife with the pool man; note the top of the radio tower?so prominent in the aerial views of the sign?just above the wall to the east. If the camera were placed much higher, you would have seen the top of the sign.

(2) The path goes from the eastern side of the house down to Mulholland; it is at maybe a 50-foot walk. The limo was just entering the bend on Mulholland when it stopped to let Dianne out; note the absence of the streetlight thru the windshield.

(3) To get from the bottom of the path to the house by car, you have to drive around the bend and another half a mile northwest down the other side of the hill on Mulholland, then turn right and return half a mile to the southeast on Macapa.

At the rate that limo went up the hill, it would take another three to five minutes to get to the house. Looks to me like the path saved about one to four minutes.

Update, 29 June 05: I've let you all have a year of fun with my colossal Hollywood-Sign goof. I was surprised to find a link to this erroneous post still on the website. As a policy, I don't delete my errors, as long as no one is hurt by them; but enough is enough; evidently, there ain't no such sign at that location. Also, that "radio tower" is actually the top of a high-voltage power-line tower.
Mar 17, 2004 11:11 AM
0 0
Sorry about those missing links; they disappeared in converting to different version of WordPerfect. Try these links: [font=Times New Roman]MAP[/font], [font=Times New Roman]TOPO[/font], [font=Times New Roman]AERIAL[/font]

Check out the [font=Times New Roman]Hollywood Sign virtual tour[/font].

P.S.: 6980 appears to be at the other end of Macapa, where it meets MD, but Adam's house is the one above the sign.
Mar 17, 2004 11:56 AM
0 0
Thanks mdholic,

I added your information to our website under "locations"

Further suggestions regarding places in MD are highly welcome,
especially we are missing fact about Ed's office...
Mar 17, 2004 2:58 PM
0 0
great stuff mdholic!!! :fresh:

and more congrats to Bob for the website! i love your picture section
Mar 19, 2004 12:09 AM
0 0
Since my only net access is a public library computer, which doesn't have the software to view the Hollywood Sign virtual tour, I'm curious: What's it like?
Mar 19, 2004 2:33 PM
0 0
I wonder whether all the facts are correct on this.

The website (and others) have the Hollywood Sign as being on top of Mt. Lee.

Other websites indicate that Mt. Lee is near or part of Griffith Park.

If that is correct, 6980 Mulholland Dr. would appear to be a good ways from Griffith Park.

However, this site:

http://www.wguides.com/city/44/150_8005.cfm

gives the address of the Hollywood Sign as 6342 Mulholland Highway. Very interesting, another Mulholland .... ;)

Mar 21, 2004 8:18 PM
0 0
I?ll take my crow a la king, please. Wish I could find that link that gave me a map to the Hollywood Sign; it was identical to the map I already had for 6980 MD. The link must have taken me to the other map?s window without changing the location. Anyway, the information I find now is that the sign is on [font=Times New Roman]Mt. Lee[/font], northeast of the Hollywood Reservoir, close to the corral, where the Cowboy hangs out.

As for Adam?s house, it looks like it?s the last one on the northeast side of Macapa Dr., not the one on the tip of the ridge above the 180 bend on MD. I?ll have a close-up of it next time I go on line.

Mar 25, 2004 5:52 PM
0 0
not a bit mdholic, in fact, I think you did us a favor.
Mar 26, 2004 9:33 AM
0 0

Higher resolution images without the logo are available at a price from GlobeXplorer.com.
Mar 30, 2004 5:38 PM
0 0
Oooooops!
Mar 30, 2004 5:39 PM
0 0
I can't find Adam's pool on that pic, at least no pool that matches with what we see in the movie. Somebody got Gene's number?
Apr 5, 2004 6:20 PM
0 0
I think most of the pool is in the shade, but you can see the end of it sticking out past the lower left end of the house.
Apr 6, 2004 2:02 PM
0 0
On second thought - that can't be the right place. No proving screen shot handy, but I can remember when Diane and Camilla finally reach the top and step out of the "forest" one can see that the area alongside the hill (lower right corner on your pic) is pretty much inhabited. There are "asphalt streets" and residential buildings right at the mountain's bottom.

Poor girl Tristan, but we probably have to engage her for another photo job...:rolleyes:
Apr 6, 2004 2:44 PM
0 0
No, Adam's place is certainly not Macapa Dr.
I was scanning all over this area with GlobeXplorer. There are lots of pools, but the landscape is hilly and far out. Our girls walk somwhat closer to the city.

In the "Making Of" you can even see a city railway passing by down there. Could this prominent high street in the back lead us somewhere?
Apr 8, 2004 5:37 AM
0 0
jro
Bob BrookerNo, Adam's place is certainly not Macapa Dr.
I was scanning all over this area with GlobeXplorer. There are lots of pools, but the landscape is hilly and far out. Our girls walk somwhat closer to the city. In the "Making Of" you can even see a city railway passing by down there. Could this prominent high street in the back lead us somewhere?
One (superfluous) comment on this:

Upon re-reading this thread, I notice that 6980 Mulholland Drive is the street address of the Hollywood sign, or at least it is claimed to be. If that is true (and the Hollywood sign must cover more than one street address location), then undoubtedly it is the Hollywood sign itself to which the phone conversation and Diane's instructions to the driver actually refer, given all the other Hollywood symbolism in the movie. So probably there is no reason to think that it is in any way a clue to the location of the house actually used as Adam's.

BTW, can anyone confirm that the Hollywood sign includes the street address location 6980 Mulholland Drive? That would be an interesting fact in itself, though not a surprising one.
Apr 8, 2004 8:49 AM
0 0
Apr 8, 2004 9:20 AM
0 0