Diane, Dorothy and Deep River

Original Poster
We know that Diane lived in Deep River and most probably was sexually abused in Deep River (by a relative- Father for example?). And we know that Dorothy lived in Deep River and was sexually abused by Frank Booth, which kept telling Dorothy that he is Daddy while raping her ( "Shut up It?s daddy, S.hithead").
so two theories can be drawn from this
[list=1]OR Dorothy valens left Lumberton and Deep river appartements, went to LA to begin a new life, tried acting, met Camilla, fell in love with her... you know the rest of the story ;)[/list]One problem remains: where is Don?

Maybe he died in a car accident(gandalf will like this one), which pushed Dorothy to leave town and begin a new life.
Aug 12, 2004 12:27 AM
0 0
jro
ThornWe know that Diane lived in Deep River and most probably was sexually abused in Deep River (by a relative- Father for example?). And we know that Dorothy lived in Deep River and was sexually abused by Frank Booth, which kept telling Dorothy that he is Daddy while raping her ( "Shut up It?s daddy, S.hithead").
so two theories can be drawn from this
[list=1]OR Dorothy valens left Lumberton and Deep river appartements, went to LA to begin a new life, tried acting, met Camilla, fell in love with her... you know the rest of the story ;)[/list]One problem remains: where is Don?

Maybe he died in a car accident(gandalf will like this one), which pushed Dorothy to leave town and begin a new life.

IMO the second idea can be ruled out with reasonable confidence. The first sounds nearer the mark. (Bet the Deep River chamber of commerce loves that.)
Aug 12, 2004 5:15 AM
0 0
jroIMO the second idea can be ruled out with reasonable confidence.

Can you?!
Aug 12, 2004 5:30 AM
0 0
jro
ThornCan you?!

Well, people come up with all kinds of nutty ideas on this board, so why not this? But Dorothy Valens was a woman in her thirties with a kid and no evident lesbian tendencies, while Diane probably arrived in LA in her early twenties with no kid and pretty obvious lesbian tendencies. As far as I can tell, the only point of commonality between Diane and Dorothy Valens is the name Deep River.
Aug 12, 2004 5:34 AM
0 0
jroWell, people come up with all kinds of nutty ideas on this board, so why not this? But Dorothy Valens was a woman in her thirties with a kid and no evident lesbian tendencies, while Diane probably arrived in LA in her early twenties with no kid and pretty obvious lesbian tendencies. As far as I can tell, the only point of commonality between Diane and Dorothy Valens is the name Deep River.

What about being raped in Deep river By 'Daddy'?
Aug 12, 2004 5:48 AM
0 0
jro
ThornWhat about being raped in Deep river By 'Daddy'?

That doesn't make them the same person. That kind of abuse shows up in a number of David Lynch's works, but that hardly means that they're all about the same person. And Betty's audition scene said her father's "best friend".
Aug 12, 2004 5:56 AM
0 0
jroThat doesn't make them the same person. That kind of abuse shows up in a number of David Lynch's works, but that hardly means that they're all about the same person. And Betty's audition scene said her father's "best friend".
OK i was just teasing with you, i know they r not the same person
Aug 12, 2004 6:01 AM
0 0
ThornOK i was just teasing with you, i know they r not the same person:
Dorothy's breasts are Much better than Diane's
Wow, that's an interesting observation. Please let us know a little more about yourself. What breats, butts etc. your prefer and how long a penis should be ? Really curious.
Aug 17, 2004 7:19 AM
0 0
I think that Deep River is a purely symbolic name. Diane has imagined a past to herself, just to avoid saying to everybody I am just coming 'from a place I don't remember anymore because it is too deep in my memory.' Just to avoid explaning she is amnesiac.

In the dream Rita has lost her memory and in reality it is Diane who does not remember anymore who she is. She has had a car accident by transposition of what happens in the dream.

You know that name given to unidentified cadavers: John Doe or Jane Doe. I consider Deep River as the same idea but about the place you are supposed to come from. D-I-A-N-E is almost an anagram of Jane D by the way. (I know: Diane is not dead.)

Concerning Diane Selwyn and Camilla Rhodes, I note that Diane (actually Artemis) and Rhodes have both a greek origin, as if Lynch had in mind to mix the two characters even with their names: thus if we switch it makes Camilla Selwyn and Diane Rhodes. Something to dig because Selwyn (selfmade winning girl) corresponds better to Camilla than to Diane.

Artemis in greek mythology was supposed to be an perpetual virgin... I don't know if Artémis has anything to do with roses nor Rhodes (rhodon = rose in grek). But an important fact is that Artémis is the twin sister (and not the daughter as I said) of the sun: Hélios.

Thus Diane is a predestined firstname for someone who wants to become a star, isn't it? Has she chosen her firstname herself too, as Rita?
Aug 17, 2004 8:07 AM
0 0
jro
gandalf36
But an important fact is that Artémis is the daughter of the sun: Hélios.

Artemis was the daughter of Zeus and Leto.
Aug 17, 2004 8:23 AM
0 0
jroArtemis was the daughter of Zeus and Leto.

True !!! I have made a mystake . Sometimes you are very useful. Thanx.

I am going to correct what I say about Helios.
Aug 17, 2004 8:36 AM
0 0
jro
gandalf36True !!! I have made a mystake . Sometimes you are very useful. Thanx.

I am going to correct what I say about Helios.
If I remember correctly, she was Apollo's sister, though, and of course Apollo was connected with the sun. (I'm not really sure what the connection was. Maybe he was the sun god for those who didn't believe in Helios, showing that even the ancient Greeks had sects and schisms.)

Rhodes is Greek, but of course there is also a Rhodes in France, which is where the last name actually comes from. However, I don't doubt that the intention is to refer to the Greek Rhodes and hence to roses. As for Camilla Selwyn, I think you're going off on one of your tangents again, but as long as you don't go overboard about it...
Aug 17, 2004 8:49 AM
0 0
ID-eaWow, that's an interesting observation. Please let us know a little more about yourself. What breats, butts etc. your prefer and how long a penis should be ? Really curious.
You'r funny,
by the way i have ur pic and i'll post it here (just to show how funny u are)

(Picture removed because jro was too much offended by it)
Aug 17, 2004 8:49 AM
0 0
My ideas about Deep River as a symbolic name and Diane as an amnesiac girl without a past is nice but I must point out that if it is true it raises new questions.

Who is Aunt Ruth then? (untruth) Who has told Diane that this woman could be her aunt? Louise Bonner could be the answer but it is not yet clear.
Aug 18, 2004 8:22 AM
0 0