Continuity errors in Mulholland Dr

Original Poster
Here's a problem.
Most films have continuity errors - you only have to look at the IMDb goofs section to see that.
But unless we are David Lynch himself we are never gonna know what are clues in Mulholland Dr and what are simply continuity errors.

Here's an example: Ruth takes the keys from the table, and the table top is now bare. But the next time we see it there is a bowl of red peppers there!

Is that intentional or is that a simple continuity mistake?

The thing is, there must be some continuity mistakes in Mulholland Dr. The only way there could not be is if we the fans explained them all away into the plot - like Trekkers did with the stardates and science of the original Star Trek series. And we don't want that to happen!

So my question is:

What do you think are the continuity errors in Mulholland Dr?
Jun 4, 2004 2:18 AM
0 0
jro
OfframpHere's a problem.
Most films have continuity errors - you only have to look at the IMDb goofs section to see that.
But unless we are David Lynch himself we are never gonna know what are clues in Mulholland Dr and what are simply continuity errors.

Here's an example: Ruth takes the keys from the table, and the table top is now bare. But the next time we see it there is a bowl of red peppers there!

Is that intentional or is that a simple continuity mistake?

The thing is, there must be some continuity mistakes in Mulholland Dr. The only way there could not be is if we the fans explained them all away into the plot - like Trekkers did with the stardates and science of the original Star Trek series. And we don't want that to happen!

So my question is:

What do you think are the continuity errors in Mulholland Dr?
I don't think the bowl of red peppers is a continuity mistake, though obviously it could be. One thing that's pretty well accepted is that the first part of the movie is a dream, and dreams are "allowed" to be inconsistent that way. How about the fact that Dan's cup at Winkie's doesn't look like Herb's cup, for instance?

Regarding the red peppers: I assume there's some symbolism there and that the symbolism is somehow consistent with having the peppers appear only after Aunt Ruth has left and Rita has shown up. Maybe --to throw out a wild suggestion-- there's a sort of symbolic relationship between them and Aunt Ruth's keys analogous to connection between the blue key and the blue box, and so they have replaced the keys. Anyway, red peppers certainly seem consistent with Rita's background.
Jun 4, 2004 5:01 AM
0 0
blu started a thread about the peppers recently:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=331350

I incline to the option that this "flaw" is pure intention as the peppers
materialize at the exact place where the keys sat before. Some
kind of Freudian symbolism?

Unlike this case the other stuff in the IMDB section seems to be
mistakes in the setting. Like the necklace, the hatbox, the purse.
The goof at LA Airport is due to sequence changes. Our forums
website is going to feature a goof section soon. Is it, ctyankee?

Luckily all continuity errors can be explained by flawy dream perception.
So who is to charge DL for that? :rolleyes:
Jun 4, 2004 6:29 AM
0 0
Bob Brookerblu started a thread about the peppers recently:

Luckily all continuity errors can be explained by flawy dream perception.
So who is to charge DL for that? :rolleyes:

I cant remember where it is now, but there is a place where betty walks down the hall and enters a room and the room door opens outward in the hall but also into the room as we see her enter. its just a set/continuity error. I'm surprised there arent more because of the complexity of this film, i see now that there are many parts of scenes from the pilot that were reshot and it's done so well that you cant tell.

the bowl of peppers was obviously done on purpose. it could be that the 3 red peppers represent the three women meaning aunt ruth really didnt leave and then there is the fact that the peppers resemble another important prop in the film.
Jun 4, 2004 8:08 AM
0 0
Bob Brookerblu started a thread about the peppers recently:

It sure will Bob.

Please add all of your continuity errors/goof observations here. I'll sort them out and create something for the website.

For other ideas, you might want to check out this thread I created waaaayy back when ... unfortunately most of it is people talking about what a continuity error should be rather than finding them ... :rolleyes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?t=172845

Please also include the ones we've discussed but have forgotten about in other threads.

So, show us how observant you can be. :fresh: :up: Also, if you think something is deliberate on Lynch's part, tell us why.
Jun 4, 2004 8:57 AM
0 0
[QUOTE] So, show us how observant you can be. :fresh: :up: Also, if you think something is deliberate on Lynch's part, tell us why.[/QUOTE] That's a good idea! If something looks like a goof, but it turns out to be 'incorrectly regarded as a goof' - well, then it must be a clue!

I'll be watching it again tomorrow so I'll see what I can come up with.

I think we'll have to preclude the standard answer to all continuity errors: 'This was in the dream...'
Jun 4, 2004 11:39 AM
0 0
Here's one I thought of a while ago:

Betty & Rita go out to use a pay phone. The first one they come across is the one outside the Winkie's on Sunset Boulevard! Pay phones can't be that rare in LA. surely!
Jun 4, 2004 12:03 PM
0 0
jro
OfframpHere's one I thought of a while ago:

Betty & Rita go out to use a pay phone. The first one they come across is the one outside the Winkie's on Sunset Boulevard! Pay phones can't be that rare in LA. surely!
You don't know how far the Winkie's is supposed to be from the apartment. You can't find pay phones in residential areas.

But I've just thought of a kind of "continuity-in-reverse" issue: when Betty pulls the note off the housecoat as she puts it over Rita, it can be seen addressed to her as "Bitsey." Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, except that she seems to be imagining Betty's past life surprisingly vividly, even including giving her a nickname based on her name!
Jun 4, 2004 12:54 PM
0 0
There are also a few instances where adults take on "nic names" such as bitsie
Jun 4, 2004 2:02 PM
0 0
jro
richdubbyaThere are also a few instances where adults take on "nic names" such as bitsie

Possibly, but my point is that it's a nickname for Betty, not Diane. This isn't a major issue; it's just funny that Diane would be getting into her "Betty-ness" to the point of dreaming up nicknames based on the name.
Jun 4, 2004 2:18 PM
0 0
but in my view it is a name for diane, hence the " " around nic name
Jun 4, 2004 2:24 PM
0 0
jro
richdubbyabut in my view it is a name for diane, hence the " " around nic name

It sounds like a nickname for someone named Elizabeth, hence Betty.
Jun 4, 2004 2:30 PM
0 0
jroIt sounds like a nickname for someone named Elizabeth, hence Betty.

i know that makes sense, but it's not a nic name IMHO, there are instances when adults take on different names, especially cutsie ones like Bitsie
Jun 4, 2004 2:34 PM
0 0
jro
richdubbyai know that makes sense, but it's not a nic name IMHO, there are instances when adults take on different names, especially cutsie ones like Bitsie
Well, what the heck. Instead of just fighting about this... So what's your suggestion? That Diane originally "nicknamed" herself Bitsey and then dreamed up a persona named Betty on the basis of its similarity to Bitsey rather than the other way around? Or do you see the similarity as pure coincidence?

Or no; never mind. Diane could have "nicknamed" herself Bitsey and then dreamed up Betty on the basis of the name's similarity or she could have dreamed up Betty and then dreamed up Betty's nickname Bitsey. This is one of those great unsolved and unsolvable mysteries of Mulholland Drive.
Jun 4, 2004 3:25 PM
0 0
The little dark planet of Henry's hidden sexual fantasy life in Eraserhead was the "city of dreams".
Jun 4, 2004 3:50 PM
0 0
jro
Well, with the question of whether Betty gave rise to Bitsey or Bitsey gave rise to Betty put to rest, here is a more interesting point brought up earlier:

richdubbyaI cant remember where it is now, but there is a place where betty walks down the hall and enters a room and the room door opens outward in the hall but also into the room as we see her enter. its just a set/continuity error. I'm surprised there arent more because of the complexity of this film, i see now that there are many parts of scenes from the pilot that were reshot and it's done so well that you cant tell.
I don't recall the scene in question, but I would regard it as much more than a continuity error. Doors just don't open out into halls. That's an architectural fact. So either this was deliberate or it was a serious goof. Maybe the context would establish which.
Jun 4, 2004 6:48 PM
0 0
jroWell, with the question of whether Betty gave rise to Bitsey or Bitsey gave rise to Betty put to rest, here is a more interesting point brought up earlier:

I don't recall the scene in question, but I would regard it as much more than a continuity error. Doors just don't open out into halls. That's an architectural fact. So either this was deliberate or it was a serious goof. Maybe the context would establish which.

yes, I thought it was unusual too, im watching the film tomorrow nite, ill watch for it.

on the Bitsie thing, see i think someone that had a tip jar on their coffee table would be much more likely to be called Bitsie
Jun 4, 2004 9:28 PM
0 0
jro
richdubbyayes, I thought it was unusual too, im watching the film tomorrow nite, ill watch for it.

on the Bitsie thing, see i think someone that had a tip jar on their coffee table would be much more likely to be called Bitsie
Interesting, though, that neither the neighbor nor Camilla nor anyone else ever calls her Bitsey, just her aunt in her dream.
Jun 5, 2004 7:00 AM
0 0
here are the double doors, i'm sure it was done on purpose now though, these frames are jut a few apart
Jun 5, 2004 7:29 AM
0 0
this is the next shot
Jun 5, 2004 7:35 AM
0 0