Club Silencio

Original Poster
The forum seems to be quieting down a bit, so i?ve decided to put my vision of what the club silencio scene means to me. I know i?m alone or at least in a very small minority of those currently active on the forum in my feelings. I?m putting this up here as a target for you all to shoot at and i welcome that, that is why i?m doing it. It would be nice to hear some alternative theories also.

During the love scene, betty tells rita ?i?m in love with you?, and rita is silent, they kiss some more and betty says ?i?m in love with you? and all we hear from rita is silence (silencio) again. They continue kissing. The love scene ends like this.

The next word spoken in the film is ?silencio? Club silencio?s name comes from the silence of rita/camilla. Betty/diane loves rita/camilla but she is not loved back. They have made love, betty and rita, and diane and camilla, but there is no love returned back to betty/diane. ?There is no band, Yet we hear a band? means ?There is no love, yet we make love?. It doesnt just mean the physical act of making love, but diane and camilla have had a relationship and made love and diane loves camilla but there is no love returned to diane. This is betty, in the dream, realizing that it?s all an illusion, ?there is no love?. After the magician goes through the ?no hay banda? and it?s all an illusion, he raises his arms and says ?listen?.

Lightening strikes and we hear thunder (just like in the final suicide scene) and betty starts

to shake. betty shakes and stops and the magician disappears. I know the exact meaning of the shaking, but it feels personal to me, and i will leave that for others to find for themselves, all you have to do is what lynch tells you ?listen?.

The blue haired lady watching all of this from above and being silent represents dianes mother/grandmothers knowledge of the abuse and remaining silent.

Betty/diane has been shown up to this point that rita/camilla does not love her and never has. diane has been reminded by the shaking that her parent/grandparents had never loved her. Both instances were an illusion to diane, the love was not there.

Rebekah singing the song ?Crying? is a dream repeat of the dinner party. ?I saw you last night, you held my hand so tight, when you stopped to say hello? is the greeting and walk up the hill. ?then you said so long, left me standing all alone, alone and crying? ?i love you even more than i did before? ?you dont love me, and i?ll always be, crying over you? ?yes now you?re gone and from this moment on, i?ll be crying, over you?

Rebekah falls, and at the exact climax of the song, where it goes ?oh....oh....ver you?

betty wipes her nose and tears, and pulls the blue box from her purse, fully knowing it spells the demise of dream rita ?more than anything in this world? diane repeats in the dream exactly as she did in real life. Stop the dvd on Dianes face any time after they enter the gate, thru the front room or in the bedroom, you will see diane not betty. It is diane that puts the blue box on the bed, and she disappears and what happens to rita/camilla is deliberately vague other than she is gone because diane does not know the exact circumstances of camilla?s demise during the dream, just that she is missing.

?well......there it was? ........?I mean it was forced maybe but still humanistic?

May 12, 2004 10:34 AM
0 0
I think that with the Silencio scene Lynch conceives a scene with a greater subtext and multiple meaning than any other I have ever scene in any film. One of his insinuations (as I perceive it) is definitely what you outline above. However, I think that is only a part of a larger implication for Silencio...

The sadness that Diane and therefore Betty feels as Rebekah sings is connected to something bigger. As the personalities of Diane/Betty and Camilla/Rita merge, Diane's recreation of Camilla as Rita begins to feel the sadness too. She begins to understand that something is not right; things are coming apart at the seams. She understands that there is no love between them... and she begins to understand that the whole thing is a sham, that what she has been perceiving as reality is not reality. On some kind of level, she begins to understand that it is a dream.

True reality is beginning to seep into the dream. Rita is growing more confident, leading Betty to Silencio. Betty is growing more wary. The girls' true personalities are returning - the dream is dissolving. Silencio represents a 'halfway house', Betty is leaving the dream, Diane is stirring.

"Silencio" is the silence of not being loved.
It is the silence of a family over an abused child.
It is the silence found in escape from your own thoughts, memories and feelings.

Many moons ago TristanLove posted the shots side by side of Betty entering Silencio with those of Diane entering her bedroom to shoot herself. Lynch uses virtual identical images. Diane retreats to her bedroom to find "Silencio".
May 12, 2004 11:24 AM
0 0
posted by blu-riven,

[QUOTE] I think that with the Silencio scene Lynch conceives a scene with a greater subtext and multiple meaning than any other I have ever scene in any film. One of his insinuations (as I perceive it) is definitely what you outline above. However, I think that is only a part of a larger implication for Silencio...

The sadness that Diane and therefore Betty feels as Rebekah sings is connected to something bigger. As the personalities of Diane/Betty and Camilla/Rita merge, Diane's recreation of Camilla as Rita begins to feel the sadness too. She begins to understand that something is not right; things are coming apart at the seams. She understands that there is no love between them... and she begins to understand that the whole thing is a sham, that what she has been perceiving as reality is not reality. On some kind of level, she begins to understand that it is a dream.

True reality is beginning to seep into the dream. Rita is growing more confident, leading Betty to Silencio. Betty is growing more wary. The girls' true personalities are returning - the dream is dissolving. Silencio represents a 'halfway house', Betty is leaving the dream, Diane is stirring.

"Silencio" is the silence of not being loved.
It is the silence of a family over an abused child.
It is the silence found in escape from your own thoughts, memories and feelings.

Many moons ago TristanLove posted the shots side by side of Betty entering Silencio with those of Diane entering her bedroom to shoot herself. Lynch uses virtual identical images. Diane retreats to her bedroom to find "Silencio". [/QUOTE]thanks for replying, i really like what you have to say. I'll look at those images, i must have missed tristan's post.
May 12, 2004 11:35 AM
0 0
richdubbyaposted by blu-riven,

thanks for replying, i really like what you have to say. I'll look at those images, i must have missed tristan's post.

One thing i forgot to add above, is i believe the blue haired lady is dianes mother/grandmother who knows of the abuse and is silent, she watches from above and doesnt say a word.
Interesting that you interpret the Grand Old Lady of Silencio (as I like to call her) as the Grandmother.

How then do you interpret Irene?

Here's Tristan's thread: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?&threadid=196458

The images were missing for a while, but now edited back in.
Nice job, Tristan. :fresh: :up:
May 12, 2004 11:48 AM
0 0
posted by blu-riven,

[QUOTE] Interesting that you interpret the Grand Old Lady of Silencio (as I like to call her) as the Grandmother.

How then do you interpret Irene?

[/QUOTE]
i see them as both the same person, i see the old couple as representative of who raised diane, mother/father or grandmother/grandfather. It isnt said in the film, the pilot says grandparents, the film does not say
May 12, 2004 11:53 AM
0 0
richdubbyaThe forum seems to be quieting down a bit, so i?ve decided to put my vision of what the club silencio scene means to me. I know i?m alone or at least in a very small minority of those currently active on the forum in my feelings. I?m putting this up here as a target for you all to shoot at and i welcome that, that is why i?m doing it. It would be nice to hear some alternative theories also.

During the love scene, betty tells rita ?i?m in love with you?, and rita is silent, they kiss some more and betty says ?i?m in love with you? and all we hear from rita is silence (silencio) again. They continue kissing. The love scene ends like this.

The next word spoken in the film is ?silencio? Club silencio?s name comes from the silence of rita/camilla. Betty/diane loves rita/camilla but she is not loved back. They have made love, betty and rita, and diane and camilla, but there is no love returned back to betty/diane. ?There is no band, Yet we hear a band? means ?There is no love, yet we make love?. It doesnt just mean the physical act of making love, but diane and camilla have had a relationship and made love and diane loves camilla but there is no love returned to diane. This is betty, in the dream, realizing that it?s all an illusion, ?there is no love?. After the magician goes through the ?no hay banda? and it?s all an illusion, he raises his arms and says ?listen?.

Lightening strikes and we hear thunder (just like in the final suicide scene) and betty starts

to shake. betty shakes and stops and the magician disappears. I know the exact meaning of the shaking, but it feels personal to me, and i will leave that for others to find for themselves, all you have to do is what lynch tells you ?listen?.

The blue haired lady watching all of this from above and being silent represents dianes mother/grandmothers knowledge of the abuse and remaining silent.

Betty/diane has been shown up to this point that rita/camilla does not love her and never has. diane has been reminded by the shaking that her parent/grandparents had never loved her. Both instances were an illusion to diane, the love was not there.

Rebekah singing the song ?Crying? is a dream repeat of the dinner party. ?I saw you last night, you held my hand so tight, when you stopped to say hello? is the greeting and walk up the hill. ?then you said so long, left me standing all alone, alone and crying? ?i love you even more than i did before? ?you dont love me, and i?ll always be, crying over you? ?yes now you?re gone and from this moment on, i?ll be crying, over you?

Rebekah falls, and at the exact climax of the song, where it goes ?oh....oh....ver you?

betty wipes her nose and tears, and pulls the blue box from her purse, fully knowing it spells the demise of dream rita ?more than anything in this world? diane repeats in the dream exactly as she did in real life. Stop the dvd on Dianes face any time after they enter the gate, thru the front room or in the bedroom, you will see diane not betty. It is diane that puts the blue box on the bed, and she disappears and what happens to rita/camilla is deliberately vague other than she is gone because diane does not know the exact circumstances of camilla?s demise during the dream, just that she is missing.

?well......there it was? ........?I mean it was forced maybe but still humanistic?

I cant argue with anything you wrote. It is very good, and answers my question about "there is no band" Rita does cry too though, making you wonder if she feels something, but she was quiet in the love scene. She also tended to make love more realistically than she probably did in real life.
May 12, 2004 2:56 PM
0 0
posted by deepmovie,

[QUOTE] She also tended to make love more realistically than she probably did in real life. [/QUOTE]

I agree deepmovie, it was probably somewhere in between the dream and reality love scene earlier in their relationship. I think Diane must have felt that Camilla had some feelings of remorse. Personally i now think it was more selfishness, getting what she wanted at any cost, rather than pure evil on camilla's part.
May 12, 2004 3:28 PM
0 0
" No hay banda"
May 12, 2004 4:28 PM
0 0