theater interior

jro
Original Poster
This question was asked on the IMDB board but may be worth repeating here.

A poster noticed that the interior of the room where the "back of the head" man sits when he answers Mr Roque's phone call looks a lot like the Club Silencio. I am not sure that they really are the same, as the columns appear to be decorated somewhat differently and the posts of the stone railing behind which the "back of the head" man sits do not appear to be as closely spaced as the posts of the stone railing behind which the blue-haired lady sits, though the latter can only be glimpsed. However, it also seems to be a theater. Could the interiors be the same? Or could they have been designed by the same architect? It might be interesting to identify the theater.
Apr 5, 2004 11:38 AM
0 0

Unlikely both characters are sitting in the same hall...let's take a look...

back of head man

Club Silencio

Most striking difference is the missing chandelier in Silencio. What some people see into the thing below the ceiling in
latter pic is not a chandelier but part of the arcs ornament. Better seen from this angle:

There doesn't seem to be a chandelier at all (illumination by projectors?) And the blue haired lady sits in a complete different ambiente (in the back just to the right of the stage).

my montage

I doubt the man could be sitting either in the theater's foyer. Than he could have been placed anywhere.
The thing is that David probably wasn't thinking of the Silencio part when shooting the pilot. So if his intention was to make a connection between those scenes he might have

- placed BOH man among the audience at Silencio (next to Sheryl Lee ;) )
- mounted the same chandelier into Silencio, like he put a fake wall around SB (I still cannot get over this), but on 2nd thought: no way own:
- reshot first scene with back of head man. Not too unlikely as he already changed the phone chain sequence by replacing "the white speaker phone on a bright blue table and a woman's hand" by a close up of "the phone by the red lamp shade".

Well, I'm getting kinda off-track. So I better shut up...

Apr 5, 2004 2:31 PM
0 0
jro
I tend to agree that he's not in the Club Silencio, too. But he does seem to be in a theater that looks quite similar to the Club Silencio. So I wonder if it might not be another theater designed by the same architect. Evidently the architect who designed the Old Tower Theater, which was the interior of the Club Silencio and the Park Hotel, designed a number of theaters.

As for David Lynch not thinking of the Club Silencio, wasn't the scene with Adam in Cookie's (The Park Hotel) in the pilot?

BTW, any ideas what that boxy-looking affair with the tacked-on red leather covering to the left of his head might be?
Apr 5, 2004 5:00 PM
0 0
S. Charles Lee was quite busy building theatres
http://www.laokay.com/S.CharlesLee.htm
Apr 5, 2004 5:24 PM
0 0
S. Charles Lee was quite busy building theatres
http://www.laokay.com/S.CharlesLee.htm
http://cinematreasures.org/architect/71/

pages are lacking interior shots though
Apr 5, 2004 5:26 PM
0 0
jro
We can probably rule out those that have been demolished.

...Hey, it says that the Los Angeles Theater was built in the French Renaissance style and was a Spanish language theater for awhile.

Maybe, maybe, maybe...
Apr 5, 2004 5:28 PM
0 0
>>We can probably rule out those that have been demolished.
well, that might be a starting point ;)

Looks like you haven't been to our website's locations section previously...
Apr 5, 2004 5:52 PM
0 0
jro
Hey, my money's on the Los Angeles Theater. A theater built in the French Renaissance style in homage to Versailles and later used as a Spanish language theater! What could POSSIBLY be more Club Silencio than that?
Apr 5, 2004 6:08 PM
0 0
Some where in this forum, way back near the begining, someone from the los angeles area posted that they knew the silencio theater, named it and said its location, and said something like it was an all night theater.
Apr 5, 2004 8:01 PM
0 0
jro
richdubbyaSome where in this forum, way back near the begining, someone from the los angeles area posted that they knew the silencio theater, named it and said its location, and said something like it was an all night theater.
The Club Silencio is the Tower Theater. That's already an established fact. What I was asking about was the location of the man who picks up the phone and says "Hello?" when Mr Roque calls. I was guessing that it's the Los Angeles Theater, which was designed by the same architect. I wonder if there's any way to verify that?
Apr 6, 2004 5:35 AM
0 0
Inside Los Angeles Theater...

ruled out?
Apr 6, 2004 5:38 PM
0 0
jro
*sigh*

It does make the "back of the head" room look dingy by comparison, doesn't it? And looking through the list of theaters designed by Mr Lee, I can't come up with any equally good candidates, as it seems he soon took to Art Deco and other styles.

So, yes, it appears that the solution to this particular mystery lies elsewhere.
Apr 6, 2004 6:51 PM
0 0
jro
Still, there is a good chance that the interior in question is that of an old theater, built no later than the very early 1930s, located in Los Angeles, not currently in use, and (obviously) not demolished, at least at the time of the filming of Mulholland Drive. Hey, how many of those can there be?
Apr 7, 2004 5:27 AM
0 0
Tranquilo,

yesterday I wrote to "Los Angeles Conservancy"
(that's where I got the images from)
asking whether they know about the "back of head" location
According to an "out of office" reply I received, there will be
no answer before the 12th.

So let's postpone discussion until...

Apr 7, 2004 6:04 AM
0 0
Thanks to the newly given interior shots of the Tower theatre we can finally confirm the connection between the location of the "back of head man" and Club Silencio. Compare the chandeliers and backdrops.

Rich, I guess you will be all over it soon...

May 10, 2005 2:40 PM
0 0
Good!
May 10, 2005 3:24 PM
0 0