Help needed: Name that sign!

Original Poster
Maybe somebody who lives in the US can help me out and tell me what the sign is in the picture below. Initially I thought it was a "No Dog Crap" sign or whatever, and Lynch is having a joke with us.

The picture on the sign is hard to make out, and it doesn't look like dog crap, so I've half ruled that option out...

Help?

Also... ctyankee, is that one of your 'A's on the right?
Mar 25, 2004 8:58 AM
0 0
I can help on the first one:

"NO PARKING FOR BLUE VANS"
Mar 25, 2004 10:17 AM
0 0
I tried to post your picture in mirror image with a little enhancement, but I don't know how to do it on this public-library computer.
Looks like ?7494? on the front and maybe ?UKYAHA...? on the wall behind the ?no trucks? sign. The air conditioner under your arrow on the right says, ?115 vac, 4500 watt, SN 7-575274?.
Mar 26, 2004 11:23 AM
0 0
we need a permanent correspondant living in hollywood to do all the checkings for us!
Mar 26, 2004 4:33 PM
0 0

I haven't figured out yet how to insert images. The above link goes to my enhanced version of the original photo.
Mar 27, 2004 11:36 AM
0 0
mdholic

I haven't figured out yet how to insert images. The above link goes to my enhanced version of the original photo.

u can attach an image to your post anytime, your pic must be under 60Kb (if i remember right), at the bottom of the "compose reply" page there is a button to browse your hard drive. it works like for an email attachment.
Mar 27, 2004 12:21 PM
0 0
HarryTuttleu can attach an image to your post anytime, your pic must be under 60Kb (if i remember right), at the bottom of the "compose reply" page there is a button to browse your hard drive. it works like for an email attachment.
40k now Harry.

These Tomato Technician nerds are getting touchy about their server space. :rotten:
Mar 27, 2004 12:29 PM
0 0
By the way, it took me about 3 months to work out how to post a picture.

So you're already way ahead of my learning curve, mdholic...
Mar 27, 2004 12:32 PM
0 0
blu-riven40k now Harry.

These Tomato Technician nerds are getting touchy about their server space. :rotten:

dammit!
i dnt do much of attachment, i use the server to upload my pics no size limit, and i can place them where i want in the post too.

like Bob said, send your pics to him in the email box of the website and he will give u a link u can use to post your pic like an online picture.
Mar 27, 2004 1:42 PM
0 0
Couple of thoughts - just brainstorming.

The letters (that I can make out) could be APAD (which could mean 'a pad') a slang term for a place to stay or crash.

Or it could be ARAD, Avi Arad is the CEO of Marvel Comics and producer of Spiderman movies and others. If you use your imagination, you could see a spiderweb sort of image on the walls, or on the glow off of the policecar's lights.

And no, I had not noticed the 'A' before.
Apr 1, 2004 1:13 PM
0 0
ctyankeeCouple of thoughts - just brainstorming.

The letters (that I can make out) could be APAD (which could mean 'a pad') a slang term for a place to stay or crash.

Or it could be ARAD, Avi Arad is the CEO of Marvel Comics and producer of Spiderman movies and others. If you use your imagination, you could see a spiderweb sort of image on the walls, or on the glow off of the policecar's lights.

And no, I had not noticed the 'A' before.
I took another look, and the writing to the right of the sign looks like it says the same thing. As close as I can make it out it says:

"AHARAD"

The first 'A' is debatable because it's partially obscured, but it seems that it's likely to be a vowel. I'm drawing a blank. I tried to find it on the web, but nothing. This is a hard one. I tried an anagram generator but that threw up nothing.

With the difficulty finding it on the web it makes me think that Lynch may have put these letters up himself? Dunno. There could possibly be a letter before the first 'A'. An 'S' would make it SAHARAD. I'm thinkin desert, deserted. Could be.

Lot of 'A's there. Reminds me of Guadalajara...
Apr 3, 2004 8:54 AM
0 0
[quote=mdholic]The thread about the mysterious street sign seems to have been deleted---just as I solved the mystery.

[indent]Quote: Originally Posted by blu-riven
There could possibly be a letter before the first 'A'. An 'S' would make it SAHARAD.
[/indent]
Saharan Website[/quote] Nice work. :up:
May 2, 2004 3:56 AM
0 0
jro
blu-riven Nice work. :up:
Take another look at the picture and at the movie. Neither the building nor the neighborhood look like what you see at the Saharan Motel site that your link leads to. Furthermore, a municipal street sign would be unlikely to make an explicit reference to a private business.
May 2, 2004 7:58 AM
0 0
It seems as if the film has been flipped and we're seeing a mirror image of the original objects photographed. The 4 characters seem to be "7494" in reverse, and the street looks like Hollywood Blvd, or maybe Franklin (in Hollywood, the 7400-blocks run east-west between Fairfax and La Brea). The hotel that someone posted a link to is on a stretch of Sunset not nearly as nice as the building photographed in this scene.

My guess: the building we see is 7494 Hollywood Blvd, and is a residential apartment building.
May 2, 2004 11:04 AM
0 0
jro
Joe B.It seems as if the film has been flipped and we're seeing a mirror image of the original objects photographed. The 4 characters seem to be "7494" in reverse, and the street looks like Hollywood Blvd, or maybe Franklin (in Hollywood, the 7400-blocks run east-west between Fairfax and La Brea). The hotel that someone posted a link to is on a stretch of Sunset not nearly as nice as the building photographed in this scene.

My guess: the building we see is 7494 Hollywood Blvd, and is a residential apartment building.
That was my first impression, too, but what about the lettering on the building? It really does seem more or less consistent with Saharan. Could some lettering have been put on a private apartment building for the movie?

hmmm... I see from your profile that you live in LA. Maybe you could cruise by the place sometime and check.
May 2, 2004 11:08 AM
0 0
where do you guys get these pics from? seems like everyone owns a digital camera..
May 2, 2004 1:24 PM
0 0
Joe B.It seems as if the film has been flipped and we're seeing a mirror image of the original objects photographed. The 4 characters seem to be "7494" in reverse, and the street looks like Hollywood Blvd, or maybe Franklin (in Hollywood, the 7400-blocks run east-west between Fairfax and La Brea). The hotel that someone posted a link to is on a stretch of Sunset not nearly as nice as the building photographed in this scene.

Looks like we got it. This is from the link above:

It fits with Rita's walk, as discussed here:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/showthread.php?&threadid=199244

Additionally, the camera pans up after Rita crosses the street and we see this:
May 3, 2004 6:10 AM
0 0
jro
blu-rivenLooks like we got it.

Additionally, the camera pans up after Rita crosses the street and we see this:
We know that Rita is SUPPOSED to be at 7200 W Sunset Blvd. but is she? It might be interesting, purely as a bit of trivia, to establish whether the Hollywood Saharan really does look like the building we're looking at, though I suppose there's no strong reason to think it doesn't. It looks as though the pictures at the Saharan site are of more than one motel. Hard to say whether the one of the palm-lined street is the same or not. I had the impression that the palms in the movie may have been a bit taller, but could very well be wrong, as they were photographed from a different angle.

Interesting that the location is so close to a street called Leland Way. Coincidence?
May 3, 2004 6:16 AM
0 0
Maybe we should trust our eyes on this one.

The lettering on the logo is identical to the style on the wall...
May 3, 2004 6:30 AM
0 0
jro
blu-rivenMaybe we should trust our eyes on this one.

The lettering on the logo is identical to the style on the wall...

Yes, I noticed that, too. And of course the fact that the n is lower case makes it look like an upper case D. Obviously the intent is that it's the Saharan, and probably there's no reason to assume that David Lynch used a different building.
May 3, 2004 6:36 AM
0 0