What is this shady object on the ground beside the Limo?

Original Poster
Might be of significance:

After the car crash when Camilla stumbles out of the limousine and falls down, there is a single flashy black thing lying next to her - it doesn't look like debris...it's also not her purse.
First I thought it could be Ed's black book, but at closer look it rather seems to be a longish object casting a shade to the left like a telescope or such:

When police is investigating the scenary the object's gone. But instead there's a white mark close its orignial location:

Any idea about this?
Mar 13, 2004 4:30 AM
0 0
Looks like Rita's shoe.

If you look closely at her feet it seems that she has lost one...
Mar 13, 2004 7:24 AM
0 0
Looks like Rita's shoe.

If you look closely at her feet it seems that she has lost one...

Not sure about the white mark though.
Mar 13, 2004 7:25 AM
0 0
I think it's the limo's outside mirror. It's still there in that second shot, but appears different because it reflects the flood light at the camera.
Mar 13, 2004 11:34 AM
0 0
I would say it's Rita's shoe. It probably fell off when she stepped outta the car, and kinda fell. (or could be why she fell, her shoe was messed up)

Why isn't it there when the police are there? She put it back on. ;)

The white mark... could be a police marker for some piece of evidence. Not really sure.
Mar 13, 2004 11:44 AM
0 0
I checked the scene again...it is neither one ofher shoes nor the mirror.
both are still in place...I will insert an evidence-pic later...
Mar 13, 2004 2:37 PM
0 0
The holster of the gangster? I don't know how it could arrive there.

But from Diane's point of view, she may have dreamed that Rita may need a gun if one the two guys was not dead and was trying to kill her. (Indeed, in the pilot one of the two is not dead.)

This is only a little suggestion... I don't believe too much in it.
Mar 13, 2004 3:28 PM
0 0
It could be a shoe of the gangster by the way.
Apr 26, 2004 11:15 PM
0 0
It is clearly a shoe, dude; Rita's shoe. As someone said, she has one bare foot!

29/04/04
Sorry--on looking again she has both shoes on. It is probably not a shoe.
Apr 27, 2004 3:38 AM
0 0
[center]The Evidence:[/center]

I have the DVD for a second time from the library?due back May 5. So I?ll be spending more time investigating and less time writing.

For brevity?s sake, Scene A is Rita getting out of the limo, Scene B is the accident investigation with McKnight. I?ll call the mysterious object Exhibit-A. I?m switching between the DVD and this message as I write.

Immediately before the accident, neither of the men in the limo wore a hat; so Exhibit-A ain?t no hat?unless there was a loose hat on a vehicle.

Scene A: Rita gets out of the limo with both shoes on; she stumbles and gets back up in one motion without losing a shoe. No vehicle mirrors appear to be missing. If a shiny surface is present on Exhibit-A, it could be reflecting the ground or the black sky.

Scene B: A shiny object, Exhibit-B, is seen over McKnight?s right shoulder about two feet to the right of where Exhibit-A was seen, earlier.

[center]The Riddle:[/center]

If Exhibits A and B are supposed to be different objects, then:

What happened to Exhibit-A?

How did Exhibit-B end up nearly in the same place?

Did investigators intentionally replaced Exhibit-A with a shiny marker to indicate where they found Exhibit-A?

Did investigators miss the mark by two feet?

Did DL?s prop person miss the mark by two feet?

Was this done intentionally or unintentionally?

Was Exhibit-A gone before investigators arrived?

Is Exhibit-B a piece of the investigators? equipment?

If Exhibit-A was intentionally removed, and replaced by Exhibit-B, does that mean DL wanted us to speculate about why and by whom?

Did he have an answer in mind, or did he deliberately give us a puzzle which may have no solution?

If Exhibits A and B are supposed to be the same object, then:

Why can?t we see its shiny surface in Scene A?

Why would investigators have moved it?

Did someone else move it before investigators arrived? Why?

[center]My opinion: [/center]

I think Exhibits A and B are the same object. I don?t think investigators are supposed to have moved it. DL had it turned to reflect the light toward the camera, but the prop person inadvertently moved it about two feet to camera right. We?re making a mountain from a molehill.

I think this object is another Rorschach test. In Exhibit-A, I can see a woman?s high-heel shoe with straps, but different from Rita?s (at Ruth?s apartment); possibly from an occupant of the other car.

Apr 29, 2004 4:09 PM
0 0
Sorry about that wide picture stretching your window. Can anyone tell me how to resize the phone in the message without editing the .jpg file? I can't edit that file at the library. How about I e-mail it to the website and post a smaller version of it here tomorrow with a link to the large one at the website?
Apr 29, 2004 4:20 PM
0 0
mdholic
I?m switching between the DVD and this message as I write.
Wow, what a thrilling depiction of your desktop activities :p

I incline to the theory that Exibit A and B are not the same object (too different in color and shape). 'A' really might be a shoe of one of the mobsters. 'B' is just a sloppily placed mark of LAPD. I am still looking for a link between Ed and the car accident. Remember the cars were on fire and then you have this close up on Ed's combusted strand of hair. Hmmm...:confused:
Apr 29, 2004 6:31 PM
0 0
I think I have found what that object is: Adam's (maybe broken) glasses.

I think it means that he has been shot during Camilla's kidnapping.

Thus you won't find any rational explanation. It is typically an object which has a meaning through Diane's dream.

Added: finally Adam did something bad. He has accepted the forbidden (and poisoned) fruit: Camilla herself, and he has met the cowboy (Diane's revenge) a second time.

The cowboy may have a link with "The Lone Ranger" by the way. Do you know if that character has any connection with some Jason? I have also prospected for a link with "Rawhide Kid" a comics about a gay cowboy...

Added 2: I am not sure but the glasses may have been added numerically after the shooting. This could explain why the picture of these glasses is not very convincing. (In particular the reflection from far that we see.)

I have always wondered to which point Lynch had modified his story to convert the pilot into a feature film. These glasses are a very specific detail and if they were already there in the pilot, it would mean that Lynch had a very precise vision of the whole story.

Added 3: finally, no: the glasses show that Adam has ran away when his limo has been attacked by Joe. Camilla was inside too and he has abandoned her. The detectives look carefully into the car but they neglect the glasses on the ground. They know that someone is missing but they do not know who.

On the other hand, we never see Adam without his glasses. But they hide Justin Theroux's strange eyebrows which are supposed to represent Adam's evil side. Thus the glasses have reveiled that Adam was a coward.
Aug 18, 2004 6:29 PM
0 0
gandalf36I think I have found what that object is: Adam's (broken) glasses.

I think it means that he has been shot during Camilla's kidnapping.

Thus you won't find any rational explanation. It is typically an object which has a meaning through Diane's dream.

Added: finally Adam did something bad. He has accepted the forbidden (and poisoned) fruit: Camilla herself, and he has met the cowboy (Diane's revenge) a second time.

The cowboy may have a link with "The Lone Ranger" by the way. Do you know if that character has any connection with some Jason? I have also prospected for a link with "Rawhide Kid" a comics about a gay cowboy...

Added 2: I am not sure but the glasses may have been added numerically after the shooting. This could explain why the picture of these glasses is not very convincing. (In particular the reflection from far that we see.)

I have always wondered to which point Lynch had modified his story to convert the pilot into a feature film. These glasses are a very specific detail and if they were already there in the pilot, it would mean that Lynch had a very precise vision of the whole story.
Aug 19, 2004 7:22 AM
0 0