Outline of Sierra Bonita West-Courtyard

Original Poster
I am currently sorting things out on our forum's hompage at
http://mapage.noos.fr/mulholland_drive/
and uploaded new stuff including an outline of Sierra Bonita.

Have a look here http://mapage.noos.fr/mulholland_drive/threads/westcourtyard_map.htm
The exact arrangement and quantity of bungalows might not be 100% correct.
But the key structure is clear and verified.

For those who got the DVD, replay it. David is a good kid, but what he's
telling us within this three minutes that we see Betty and Rita walking through
the "labyrinth" is a load of horse-pucky, even though it comes from a good place...
Anyway, it's a dream and everything is possible...

See what I mean and let me know about your ideas...
Mar 3, 2004 7:20 AM
0 0
:cool: :up:
Mar 3, 2004 8:58 AM
0 0
So, Lynch makes the courtyard like the apartment. A labyrinth.

And the bush withers after Diane has knocked. That's funny. Not a goof - surely not. He lets her practically walk through the non-leaves bush to get to the window. A sign of death, too.
Mar 3, 2004 11:11 AM
0 0
The scene where we see part of the bush in bloom is just one second long. When Betty starts for the main door we are already in another time frame...and the green is gone. Since all this is almost unnoticeably I personally wouldn't assign a deeper meaning to it.
Mar 3, 2004 12:05 PM
0 0
Bob BrookerThe scene where we see part of the bush in bloom is just one second long. When Betty starts for the main door we are already in another time frame...and the green is gone. Since all this is almost unnoticeably I personally wouldn't assign a deeper meaning to it.
It's how we respond that counts. We can make it real by believing in it. The more we slow this movie down, the more sense it makes.
Mar 3, 2004 7:59 PM
0 0
nice job Bob! :fresh:
it's user friendly and looks good.

i wouldnt look for coherence in those exterior shots too much. either Lynch wanted to make the space bigger than it was, or wanted to make the walk longer, and used camera tricks to make this simple layout more labyrinthic.
anyway with one girl who never came here and the other who lost all memories, it's no wonder they're going circle in a foreign place.

are u sure they do not come from east courtyard in between 2 bungalows?
also there is this long dark hallway with the archway opening on the courtyard, where is it?

someone posted a link to a possible real-life location of the sierra Bonita apartements with pics, maybe that'll help to draw the masterplan. i cant find it back...

looking at this pic, it's the first time i notice maybe the important detail to look at is not the lit up bulb or the abandonned shack... but the windows in the back (to the right, between the white wall and the green bush)
isnt this supposed to be apt #17's kitchen windows where from Betty crawls in?
Mar 3, 2004 8:56 PM
0 0
HarryTuttle,

you are probably right about Lynch using double images to confuse the audience and to make us believe we are in a huge labyrinth. The trick works. I don't think anybody including me would have guessed the path layout to be that simple as it actually is. And that's all what it is about...if you don't have enough footage you just play it in a loop. I remember the magician: "IT IS ALL...A TAPE RECORDING". But unlike music business in movies this could evoke questions.

Concerning the window issue I think you're mistaken. The window Betty is climbing through truly belongs to #17 and isn't surrounded by so much green.

But there could be another connection. Your window looks similar to the front window of dream #17
because both are tiled the same way.

So the interior could be comparative either.
Mar 3, 2004 10:27 PM
0 0
i forgot to mention that in my guess, the abandonned bungalow on the pic is right nextdoor to apt #17. so one bungalow closer on your map.

Betty acces the kitchen windows (to the side of the bungalow) after crossing a leafless bush. that is the bush i'm talking about on the abandonned bungalow pic.
i think the front door of apt #17 is right off the pic to the right (behind the green bush to the extreme right of the pic)

look at woodlouse's sharply detailed map of apt #17.
Mar 3, 2004 10:49 PM
0 0

Hmmm, if you mean the bush on the right, it stands there completely alone...
On third look I wouldn't even consider it to be the same as shown before in (17)
Mar 4, 2004 3:31 AM
0 0
ok the bushes dont match up. but th leafless one we see here, is near the corner of #17, whereas the greenbush we see on the pic (16) is only between #17 and the abandonned bungalow, sitting on the central lawn, blocking the view to #17. well that is how i figure it.

also nice catch for the similarities of pic (11) and (18)!
but it's just use of rushes to fill in a blank in the editing continuity (reverse shot inserts). Lynch used one take of this plan to fit somewhere else.
Mar 4, 2004 5:13 PM
0 0
Hmmmm.....

the tall green bush grows/grew quite close to the corner of #17 - I reckon less than 1.5 meters away. It was cut somehow otherwise it would be filling the screen in my last collage. First I though David ordered it to be removed, so that his actresses could pass through to reach the kitchen window on later scene. But considering the obvious shift of season between the shootings I now guess it was done by a gardener who trimmed all the bushes in autumn. Look, I marked what I hold to be the original stem of our once-so-stately bush.
Anyway, solving this doesn't lead to anything...

Mar 4, 2004 7:28 PM
0 0
i dont think the leafless branches you show with your pointer are the same green bush we see on the pic (16)

i guess there is at least 3 or 4 meters in between bungalows (they have side windows, so u wouldnt build a wall at 2 meters from kitchen windows)

the green bush is closer to the abandonned bungalow's corner, and not directly between the 2 bungalows (unlike the leafless branches).

i thought it would give a better explanation to this curiously lingering plan when Betty & Rita stop on their way to #17.
i dont remember well, and we cannot see on stills. does the camera somehow points to these windows behind the bushes? can we see someone moving behind the windows, anything to drag their attention?

but it's weird : we see white curtains at the window, on a dark facade, although when Betty gets closer we see dark windows on a white facade... so maybe i'm wrong.
Mar 5, 2004 6:36 AM
0 0
>> i guess there is at least 3 or 4 meters in between bungalows (they have
>> side windows, so u wouldnt build a wall at 2 meters from kitchen windows)

it's a tight place and there are approx. 2 meters between those bungalows...

>>does the camera somehow points to these windows behind the bushes?
no, the focus is on the glowing lamp outside...

Still I don't know what you are up to...
Mar 5, 2004 8:32 AM
0 0
Though no more insight regarding the questionable setting of #17,
here some picture from real Sierra Bonita
Mar 16, 2004 6:27 AM
0 0
Bob BrookerHmmmm.....

the tall green bush grows/grew quite close to the corner of #17 - I reckon less than 1.5 meters away. It was cut somehow otherwise it would be filling the screen in my last collage. First I though David ordered it to be removed, so that his actresses could pass through to reach the kitchen window on later scene. But considering the obvious shift of season between the shootings I now guess it was done by a gardener who trimmed all the bushes in autumn. Look, I marked what I hold to be the original stem of our once-so-stately bush.
Anyway, solving this doesn't lead to anything...

I think that that bush is simply dead or better: cut to death. It announces the cadaver inside. To me, it has nothing to do with seasons, nor with the gardener. Lynch has put especially that bush here because one must think that one should not use that path. It reinforces the fact that Betty is doing something illegal.
Mar 16, 2004 6:54 AM
0 0
Bob BrookerI am currently sorting things out on our forum's hompage at
http://mapage.noos.fr/mulholland_drive/
and uploaded new stuff including an outline of Sierra Bonita.

Have a look here http://mapage.noos.fr/mulholland_drive/threads/westcourtyard_map.htm
The exact arrangement and quantity of bungalows might not be 100% correct.
But the key structure is clear and verified.

For those who got the DVD, replay it. David is a good kid, but what he's
telling us within this three minutes that we see Betty and Rita walking through
the "labyrinth" is a load of horse-pucky, even though it comes from a good place...
Anyway, it's a dream and everything is possible...

See what I mean and let me know about your ideas...

By the way, this is a nice job, Bob. These maps are very interesting. One remarquable fact is that Lynch has added plenty of flowers everywhere compared to the real Sierra Bonita as if the goal was to elaborate some Eden's garden, supposed to have inspired 'Havenhurst' name.
Mar 16, 2004 8:49 AM
0 0
maybe...maybe, maybe
I already supposed those "birds of paradise" were supplements...

The thing that made me shout out loud was the fact that the
long white wall we see was a set up by David. The courtyard
wasn't surrounded at all. Now everything matches. I burned my
brain cells to think of how the plantings on that wall could be
in authentical position in the scene when the bush hides the
pilar (8) and when not (2). Apparently there wasn't a longer
time shift. The bush was fake...so were the wallplants.
I am sure the disparity around bungalow 17 (19 <-> 17) is also
caused by too much manipulation...

Damn...now I need to make some corrections to my outline...
After all it wasn't too bad :fresh:
Mar 16, 2004 9:59 AM
0 0
Does anyone know where is the actual filming location for Sierra Bonita? Maybe we can get an aerial photo. Somebody said he thought there was a possible location mentioned. I've searched this forum but can't find it.
The next time you marvelous map makers post a revision, can we have an arrow pointing to North?
Where are the garages?
Which apartment is that on the corner, which the cops appear to be staking out? Could it match the layout of the apartment with the body on the bed?

Which apartment is the suitcase taken from and put into the trunk of a car?

What light source from outside could be shining on the wall by the red phone after the hairy-arm call?
Sorry, I have no answers to post to this thread. You guys are doing a great job; keep up the good work.
Mar 20, 2004 11:38 AM
0 0
Does anyone know where is the actual filming location for Sierra Bonita? Maybe we can get an aerial photo. Somebody said he thought he saw a possible location mentioned, but he didn't know which thread. I searched and couldn't find it.
You marvelous map makers; next time you post a revision, could we have an arrow pointing north?
Where are the garages?

Which apartment is that on the corner, which the cops appear to be staking out? Could it match the layout of the apartment with the body on the bed?

Which apartment is the suitcase taken from and put into the trunk of a car?

What light source from outside could be shining on the wall by the red phone after the hairy-arm call?
Sorry I have no answers for this thread. Keep up the good work, guys.
Mar 20, 2004 11:42 AM
0 0
Here's my refined version ob SB...the map is possibly aligned to south...

The cops seem to observe #12 or they might just watch people going in
and out of SB front entrance. Another option is they check on the lady in
yellow as their car is parked towards her driveway.
To keep an eye on SB the detectives have to have constantly turn their
heads around...(if this counts in a dream)

The old lady resides in a bungalow adjacent to Diane's courtyard. Betty
and Rita watch her from behind a wall that seperates both areas.

Currently i don't believe that the red lamp shade can be found in #17.
The particular scene doesn't match with the interior I visualized. And
no idea about an outer light source either.
BTW, information about the actual filming location can be found on our
website under "locations"
Mar 22, 2004 7:44 PM
0 0