The jewelry box theory.

Original Poster
Greetings MD forum members,
I just joined Rotten Tomatoes and have been a fan of MD for a few years now. I have even viewed the threads of this forum from time-to-time, but for some reason, I can never escape the puzzle of MD. Somehow it always comes back to me. And while thinking about all of the jewelry this movie uses, it just kind of struck me: Adam Kesher has a box of jewelry which he is determined to spread paint all over, that his promiscuous cheating wife is determined to stop him from.

Now, I'm not sure how much of these connections have been made before, but I'm sure Diane dreaming up Adam's wife cheating on him in the dream is a connection of Camilla cheating with Adam, thus this fictional wife was the "dream wife" to Diane because she played him.
But the box of jewelry..why would this wife of his care so much about it? She only is wearing a cheap pair of earrings, but it means so much? On further notice, I examined the jewelry box, and it almost seems as the elderly woman Irene's brooch can be found in the box, as well as Coco's beads, and some smaller beads like what Betty would wear.

Most likely, it is just trying to show how the Kesher's dream wife there is like Camilla in the respect that she only cares about monetary value of things and "the best sex" for the moment. But the fact that all of the movie's jewelry was being destroyed by Adam could show how he potentially has no respect for any of the women in his life. Has this ever been brought up before? I have no clue, but this is my first post on rottentomatoes and MD-forum stuff, so I hope it's alright. ;)
Jun 7, 2005 12:19 AM
0 0
destinosa,

that's indeed a new line of thinking. However, having rechecked the contend of Lorrain's jewelry box I couldn't spot a single piece that may have been used somewhere else in the movie.
md.net is featuring a MD jewelry gallery - a good place to start your investigation from.

Anyway, there does exist a complete different interpretation of the jewelry box's meaning. check out tinman's comment here under "Adam/Lorraine/Gene: A replay of Diane's sexual abuse?"
Jun 7, 2005 3:55 AM
0 0
Bob Brookerdestinosa,

that's indeed a new line of thinking. However, having rechecked the contend of Lorrain's jewelry box I couldn't spot a single piece that may have been used somewhere else in the movie.
md.net is featuring a MD jewelry gallery - a good place to start your investigation from.

Anyway, there does exist a complete different interpretation of the jewelry box's meaning. check out tinman's comment here under "Adam/Lorraine/Gene: A replay of Diane's sexual abuse?"

Yeah actually looking at md.net was what inspired me to make this thread, and I want to research into the movie again to see for myself. Either way, the jewelry still seems like symbols of the other movie's female characters to me. There are pearl beads, golden brooches, etc. And they seem so unfitting to be owned by "Lorraine" somehow. But I will look further into it, either way I want to get into the MD game. This movie just is a puzzle to me that gets as large as you want it to be.
Jun 7, 2005 6:52 PM
0 0
Hiya,

I've been reading these threads for weeks (via the Lost on Mulholland Dr site) and I finally decided to join in. And although I have no great, all-encompasing theory that unifies MD, this thread does give me the opportunity to note something I haven't seen mentioned regarding the scene where Adam discovers his wife in bed with a mullet-headed pop star.

You'll notice that as he first arrives home, calling for his wife, he hears a sound which directs him straight to the bedroom where he discovers the infidelity-in-progress.

It's the sound that struck me. It's very much like the sound at the diner, and at the dinner party. That is, the sound of a dropped coffee cup on a hard floor.

This seems to link the scene to Diane's realization of the loss of Camilla, and her loss of "innocence" (if you believe she was hiring a hitman) at the diner.

Just an observation...

Lou "It's Better that Way" Ming
Jun 28, 2005 6:28 PM
0 0
blu
Lou MingHiya,

I've been reading these threads for weeks (via the Lost on Mulholland Dr site) and I finally decided to join in. And although I have no great, all-encompasing theory that unifies MD, this thread does give me the opportunity to note something I haven't seen mentioned regarding the scene where Adam discovers his wife in bed with a mullet-headed pop star.
Off-topic here, but I don't know who I prefer ...

1. The poster who comes in all-guns-blazing, claiming they know it all (a la uncsteve, way back when)

or,

2. The guy or gal who comes in with a kind of muted, respectful, under-the-radar entrance.

;)

Anyways, I don't think that anybody has a all-encompassing-explain-every-little-detail theory. The closest I got was the "MD is a Koan" thread, which I will bump if I get chance today.

Welcome to to the freak show Lou. :up:
Jun 29, 2005 6:34 AM
0 0
I don't know which kind of poster I was? I guess inbetween those 2 categories lol.
I still don't go on the forum enough, well, I find MD is a big puzzle that will never be solved at times, so I just lose interest at times but then feel like "going back and playing the game". I've been receiving emails that my thread was active again, so I'm back haha.

Just one other thought: this scene with the sound of breaking glass or coffee cup could also symbolize the death of ADAM if Diane had hired the hitman to kill Camilla and Adam both. But then again, nothing is concrete and anything means everything after a while.
Jun 29, 2005 9:42 AM
0 0